Read Messages

Re: Happy AQ day to PumpkinSeedsLenore
Board: State: Missouri
Reply to: #974028 by carry on grandma
Apr 16, 2019 10:06pm
Thread Board
Happy AQ Day! Wish you many fun letterboxing adventures😊
Re: It's True!
Board: Dead Horses, Lemurs, and Kittens!
Reply to: #974199 by Public Hand
Apr 17, 2019 12:25am
Thread Board
We found zero boxes close to the road, most of them are planted around the Tors (of which there are a lot) and rock formations.

If you look at the distributions of boxes on the tors.... those closest to roads (at least those close to parking areas) tend to get the majority of boxes. Go to a tor miles from the nearest road and you likely won't find many boxes. So... they aren't next to roads, but they aren't that far away from them either which might not make them qualified drive-bys, but plenty of strolls!

Although there are quite a number planted inside of bars, restaurants, shops and camping businesses

Those don't count towards official counts or for membership into the 100 Club. Some people probably DO count them, but officially, they aren't supposed to count. (Kind of like what happens with event boxes here.)

Not entirely but the preponderance of those we found were store bought.

I found a large number of custom-made stamps which seemed to be the standard, but maybe you mistook some of them as store-bought stamps? Hand-carved stamps.... I can't remember actually finding any hand-carved stamps off the top of my head, but if there were any, the numbers were definitely very low. I rather liked the custom-made stamps, though. A lot of them were very detailed, interesting and were specially designed for where they were planted. Very cool.

The people we talked to seemed to like finding hand-carved stamps but just didn't want to make them. Which happens a lot here too. =)

-- Ryan
Re: Eagles, eagles, eagles! (and you can watch)
Board: Off Topic, Wildly
Reply to: #974249 by DarkZen and Evil Cow Pie
Apr 17, 2019 2:35am
Thread Board
Did Hope survive? Of she did not return to the nest, where did she go? I am vested now. Do not leave me hanging! Also, what other kinds of birds injure eagles?
Re: Creative ways to hide Night boxes at an event
Board: Letterbox Chatter
Reply to: #974200 by brailleboxer
Apr 17, 2019 4:02am
Thread Board
We've used glow sticks in peanut butter jars with the stamps.
Re: How is that Power Plant Challenge going?
Reply to: #974243 by CoffeeSpoons
Apr 17, 2019 4:31am
Thread Board
I thought that the prize was that the letterboxing community as a whole benefits from all the additional plants we now have to find! The patch and/or path tag are a fun marker of the event. Buying them in quantity is expensive - glad to contribute.

I'm at 54 permanent traditional boxes planted since 11/1. Thanks to Super Hedge Hoggie and crew for inspiring us all to get out there and plant.
Reply to: #974261 by paper trail
Apr 17, 2019 5:01am
Thread Board
Thank you, Paper Trail, for saying what I was thinking. This challenge has encouraged me to clear my desk of 88 stamps and logbooks that have been sitting around for years. Now the fun begins as I get to begin carving guilt free again.

I, too, am happy to pay that very small fee.
Re: Boxes on a route?
Board: Letterboxing Help Desk
Reply to: #974248 by Puddledunk
Apr 17, 2019 5:20am
Thread Board
Go to the Trip Planner under the Toolbox pulldown menu. There are dozens of pre-defined routes available, mostly along major roads. If you want to create your own you can. I just recently created a trip from Arlington, Tx to Newport, RI for a road trip this summer. After inputting the start and end points and a trip name you can add features and adjust the route on a map that comes up of your route. After it looks the way you want save the route. AQ chews on it for a while and then you have a route! After that you can search for letterboxes along the route (within 5 miles of the route is the default). I take the search results and download them to my GPS as a .gpx file but that is a whole 'nother tutorial.
Apr 17, 2019 5:27am
Thread Board
I am happy to have more stamps to seek. There are not a lot of people in my area, yet I can occasionally travel with my husband when he goes out of town to work where there are more boxes planted.

I wonder if we will be told how many boxes total were planted for the challenge. That might be an interesting number!
Reply to: #974262 by Janila
Apr 17, 2019 5:30am
Thread Board
Whoa! Maybe you could call the Power Plant Challenge the Spring Cleaning Planting Challenge. 😉

I imagine that it is a good feeling to get them all out into the wild and out of your home.
Re: "My Page" Suggestion
Board: Suggestion Box
Reply to: #973950 by Bungalow Boxer
Apr 17, 2019 6:28am
Thread Board
Any chance we could have an option to hide our plants on the "Newest Letterboxes" section of the "My Page" page?

It's been added! By default, people will still see their plants (people sometimes freak out when they don't see their plants thinking nobody can see it), but there's now an option for the widget to change the default.

Happy trails!

-- Ryan
Apr 17, 2019 7:12am
Thread Board
See I kinda agree with RIClimber and Coffeespoons. The prize is that we all get more boxes. But I've planted 142 boxes, driven over 20 hours to plant in places where they will actually be found, and it's a considerable cost for plastic, bags, and pink stuff. So I am definitely not spending $3 more :)
Re: Welcome to the Current Big Update!
Board: Atlas Quest Announcements
Reply to: #972157 by uneksia
Apr 17, 2019 7:35am
Thread Board
when i go to print a clue i use the single-column layout. only now it is not switching to single-column, stays on double.

Is this still happening? If so, what browser are you using?

-- Ryan
Reply to: #974268 by Green Tortuga
Apr 17, 2019 7:51am
Thread Board
yes it is still happening.
using google chrome. and it is up to date.

smile
Re: Spoiler tags?
Reply to: #969267 by Green Tortuga
Apr 17, 2019 8:02am
Thread Board
I'll get around to fixing the other pages... eventually. =)

Done!

-- Ryan
Reply to: #974269 by uneksia
Apr 17, 2019 8:15am
Thread Board
using google chrome. and it is up to date.

I'm still having trouble reproducing the problem. What kind of device are you using and exactly what version of Chrome are you using? (I'm currently testing with version 73.0 and it seems to work fine.)

-- Ryan
Reply to: #974271 by Green Tortuga
Apr 17, 2019 8:26am
Thread Board
my device is a desktop. have not tried it on my laptop or phone. i can do that tomorrow and see if problem is same.

version 73.0.3683.103 (official build) (64-bit)

smile
Re: Spoiler tags?
Reply to: #974270 by Green Tortuga
Apr 17, 2019 8:27am
Thread Board
Yay! Thanks, you da man.
Reply to: #974272 by uneksia
Apr 17, 2019 8:35am
Thread Board
I'm not sure what to tell you. It's like you're describing my own system and I still can't recreate the problem that you're describing. You're sure you hit the "update page" button after changing to the single-column page layout?

-- Ryan
Reply to: #974267 by PiggyJaunt
Apr 17, 2019 8:51am
Thread Board
Others get the "Prize" of more boxes to find. I get the "Prize" of 100+ more boxes to maintain. I'm not in it for the "Prize" - I just want to beat PiggyJaunt!!
Reply to: #974274 by Green Tortuga
Apr 17, 2019 9:17am
Thread Board
oh geezum!
has that button always been there and i just never saw it?
worked like a charm!
and here i made you work this morning for my dumbness. :(

on another note.
used to be if i was going to go boxing with a friend i could look at their logbook and see a green checkmark next to boxes that we had found in common. are you planning on replacing that feature?

smile
Re: Trans Boxers?
Board: LGTBQ Group
Reply to: #974197 by Raven
Apr 17, 2019 9:31am
Thread Board
no real business being in this thread

I took that to mean he had no experience to offer up.

And now that I think about it, I, too, am overdue for some spaetzle.

Trishee, friend & supporter of LGBTQ; noodle lover
"All About Duxbury" Intro to Letterboxing Event!
Board: State: Massachusetts
Apr 17, 2019 10:30am
Thread Board
Mark your calendars! Even if you are a seasoned letterboxer, swing by Duxbury on Saturday, April 27 and snag a few boxes at my event. If you feel like it, you can head to Plymouth afterward where there are more to find. All the details are here: https://www.atlasquest.com/showinfo.php?eventId=4167

Please message me with questions. Thanks, hope to see you!
Reply to: #974277 by Trishee
Apr 17, 2019 10:33am
Thread Board
no real business being in this thread

I am in that most eevil of categories, the "Middle-Aged Middle-Class Straight White Male" (MAMCSWM). However, don't tell my lesbian daughter how eevil I am; she still kinda likes me. Maybe I should offer her some spaetzle, to soften the blow?
All About Duxbury (MA) Intro to Letterboxing Event!
Board: Region: Northeast
Apr 17, 2019 10:34am
Board
Mark your calendars! Even if you are a seasoned letterboxer, swing by Duxbury, MA on Saturday, April 27 and snag a few boxes at my event. If you feel like it, you can head to Plymouth afterward where there are more to find. All the details are here: https://www.atlasquest.com/showinfo.php?eventId=4167

Please message me with questions. Thanks, hope to see you!
Reply to: #974279 by wassamatta u
Apr 17, 2019 11:23am
Thread Board
Wassa I think she’ll love you no matter how MAMCSWM you get. We can’t choose how we’re born. But the excess Eevil? You should find an outlet for that.

Not too much Spaetzl though. That will soften everything up.

Trishee - MAMCSWF
Re: the state of letterboxing in England
Reply to: #974144 by Grrly Girl
Apr 17, 2019 11:54am
Thread Board
I have a non-Dartmoor question: is there anywhere aside from AQ where I should be looking for clues to boxes in the UK (ie London)?
Reply to: #974282 by Angel and Demon
Apr 17, 2019 12:17pm
Thread Board
I have a non-Dartmoor question: is there anywhere aside from AQ where I should be looking for clues to boxes in the UK (ie London)?

I just went to LbNA and entered England in the search box.
Lots of stuff appeared.
You can probably narrow it a bit by using London, England.

Let's hear from those who have been there and might know of other places to check.
Reply to: #974279 by wassamatta u
Apr 17, 2019 2:06pm
Thread Board
Has anyone ever noticed that Wassa pops up in all sorts of different locations? Just amazing!!

I would love to try spaetzle...
Reply to: #974282 by Angel and Demon
Apr 17, 2019 2:11pm
Thread Board

Dartmoor Bounders used to have a site that listed a lot of them. It has gone offline but you can still see the old clues here:

https://web.archive.org/web/20121026230114/http://www.ian.kirkpatrick2.btinternet.co.uk/page1.htm
Re: It's True!
Board: Dead Horses, Lemurs, and Kittens!
Reply to: #974258 by Green Tortuga
Apr 17, 2019 2:39pm
Thread Board
If you look at the distributions of boxes on the tors.... those closest to roads (at least those close to parking areas) tend to get the majority of boxes.

That was not our experience.....we felt that the boxes closest to the nearby Tors were missing more than not.....I found the most at the out-of-the-way Tors. I'd thought the reason was because more people went after the close-in Tors.

custom-made stamps which seemed to be the standard, but maybe you mistook some of them as store-bought stamps?

This could easily have been correct.....the custom made were very detailed without any ragged edges so I might have mistaken them as store bought.

The two families we boxed with didn't seem to care what the stamp was as long as they found the box (which immediately endeared them to me). They were very kind about the hand-carved stamps we hid, however.