A Letterboxing Community

Search

Read Messages

Re: the state of letterboxing in England
Board: Letterbox Chatter
Reply to: #974159 by wassamatta u
Apr 15, 2019 4:03am
Thread Board
My new company is sending me to London May 7-10 for some training. Which I interpret to mean "we want you to take the train to Dartmoor".

Work-sponsored letterboxing trips are awesome! My company’s sent me to Connecticut twice. This year the new store is in Rhode Island. Woo hoo!
Requesting Stamps for Nightboxing Event
Board: Stamp Swap
Apr 15, 2019 4:19am
Thread Board
SNB 4 is planned for this summer, and I am looking for folks willing to donate stamps. Please check out the request page and let me know if you would like to help. Thank you very much. 😊
Re: Heads up, free HBO week!
Board: Off Topic, Wildly
Reply to: #974171 by Kirbert
Apr 15, 2019 4:39am
Thread Board
local library might have DVD's that you can check out for free.

To have a library card in my town costs $50.00!
Re: Stamps for Woodstock event
Board: Event News and Planning
Reply to: #974140 by mudflinginfools
Apr 15, 2019 4:40am
Thread Board
zappa
Re: Box of the week
Board: State: North Carolina
Reply to: #974137 by Outdoorsoccer
Apr 15, 2019 4:57am
Thread Board
Yay! Congratulations. 😃
Apr 15, 2019 4:58am
Thread Board
Thanks for the reminder! I just reserved Season 1 but the waiting list is pretty long so I may not get it for months. But waiting is better than paying for it, in my opinion.
Re: Favorite boards
Board: Letterboxing Help Desk
Reply to: #974169 by Green Tortuga
Apr 15, 2019 5:54am
Thread Board
Thank you.
Re: It's True!
Reply to: #974119 by Warrior Woman
Apr 15, 2019 8:38am
Thread Board
Now she doesn’t attend my events.

At least that you know of. Better go check those logbooks. ;)
Re: How is that Power Plant Challenge going?
Reply to: #972888 by RDHG
Apr 15, 2019 10:13am
Thread Board
I got 23 boxes planted this weekend for the event! They are all permanent plants.

Hmm beer foamy, beer good...
Re: YOU
Board: Television: After the Show Ends
Reply to: #974168 by Captain Slick Kitty
Apr 15, 2019 11:02am
Thread Board
Oh no. i read the first few paragraphs and decided to take a look. I'm 14:21 into the first episode and I am hooked. Given that I was a financial investigator for two very large firms, it is amazing what the internet will tell you about someone so for the time being, it does not surprise me at all that Joe has found out what he has.

One of my biggest 'victories' is when two coworkers came back from New Orleans and had the just first name of a cute guy they met and wanted to know if I could "find him". I told them I'd try. With what they told me, I was able to locate his Facebook, age, finace's name, address, life history of where he had lived, what he made, what he drove, etc. and the picture of the house he currently lived in. They were stunned. I win!
Reply to: #974178 by Janila
Apr 15, 2019 11:52am
Thread Board
I'm not willing to wait. It won't even be on Netflix in DVD for months and months and they don't stream it. I just pay for HBO until GOT ends.

My free HBO promotional was gone this morning. I was amazed it lasted through that first episode last night.

After GOT of thrones is over I'm dumping the tv service anyway and just keeping the internet for streaming.
Reply to: #974184 by thndrkttn
Apr 15, 2019 11:56am
Thread Board
It really makes you think about all the information that you share online and how easy it would be for someone to use that information against you
Apr 15, 2019 11:59am
Thread Board
After watching what I gave DVRed now I may go back and see if my library has the 1st three seasons
Reply to: #974175 by Ele
Apr 15, 2019 12:05pm
Thread Board

If you read a lot you'll get your money's worth in books in a very short time. And it's kind of a donation.
Reply to: #974186 by Amanda from Seattle
Apr 15, 2019 12:10pm
Thread Board
It really makes you think about all the information that you share online and how easy it would be for someone to use that information against you

For instance, after spending several hours digging deep into Social Media and the Dark Web, using my keen intellect and skills in interpreting massive amounts of information, I have gleaned that you, Amanda... ARE FROM SEATTLE!
Reply to: #974185 by MissMoon
Apr 15, 2019 12:35pm
Thread Board
I just got an email from my brother this morning. He watched Episode 1 of Season 8 last night. He says it was *awful*. He compared it to Star Wars' "The Clone Wars".
Reply to: #974175 by Ele
Apr 15, 2019 2:39pm
Thread Board

Ben Franklin is spinning in his grave.
Reply to: #974190 by Kirbert
Apr 15, 2019 3:38pm
Thread Board
I just got an email from my brother this morning. He watched Episode 1 of Season 8 last night. He says it was *awful*. He compared it to Star Wars' "The Clone Wars".

Don't care what your brother thinks. lol!!
Re: Requesting Stamps for Nightboxing Event
Reply to: #974174 by RDHG
Apr 15, 2019 4:00pm
Thread Board
Oh I KNOW I can help with this one ;)
Reply to: #974180 by Wry Me
Apr 15, 2019 4:29pm
Thread Board
Here are some more facts about our interesting hobby and traditions. Over there in Dartmoor, they have plants close to the road and easy to find, even without clues (the equivalent of our drive-by's, yeah?), places without a 100 Club post their clues online, they have charity events where you pay for clues and essentially make a loop finding boxes, they charge for their clue book and you have to prove you've found 100 boxes on the moor first, longer hikes and more challenging hides are for grown-ups and experienced boxers. They also have discussions about box maintenance.

So if you really want to go old school: no mystery boxes, use grid references on a park map with or without compass headings and landmark clues, keep your clues WOM, or have it added to the continually updated clue book that you have to earn and PAY for, and be sure to plunk a custom stamp in the box. Organize an event where you raise money for a charity by charging for the clues to the boxes and then plant them in a small loop around town.

Also, apparently so many of the boxes are so easy and convenient to find, you can get your first 100 without clues, just to show 'em you're serious. Why don't they allow ALL people to access the clues? Why did they make so many of them short strolls instead of long hikes? What? No hand-carved stamps? No mysteries or puzzles? We have to PAY for the clues? Seems even the founders can't get it right. Heh.
Reply to: #974194 by Raven
Apr 15, 2019 4:42pm
Thread Board
Oh, yay! Thank you bunches! 😁
Re: Trans Boxers?
Board: LGTBQ Group
Reply to: #974139 by DarkZen and Evil Cow Pie
Apr 15, 2019 4:44pm
Thread Board
no real business being in this thread

Please correct me if I'm wrong y'all, but wouldn't everyone with acceptance and love in their heart be welcome on this board?

-straight female, if it matters ;)
Reply to: #974196 by RDHG
Apr 15, 2019 4:50pm
Thread Board
Yes, BUNCHES!! Lol
Reply to: #974195 by Wry Me
Apr 15, 2019 5:16pm
Thread Board
So just some feedback based on our experiences in Dartmoor.

they have plants close to the road and easy to find, even without clues

We found zero boxes close to the road, most of them are planted around the Tors (of which there are a lot) and rock formations. Although there are quite a number planted inside of bars, restaurants, shops and camping businesses so maybe that is what you are referring to?

they charge for their clue book and you have to prove you've found 100 boxes on the moor first

When we contacted the woman who "sells" the clue books, she did not ask for proof we'd found 100 boxes. She made it very clear she asked for payment only to cover the cost of the annual printing of the clue books. I'd asked for the next year's book (because of when our fist trip was scheduled) and she accidentally sent me the preceding year's print. When she discovered her error, she immediately sent the correct version before I'd received the first one to know there was an error.....she would not accept payment for the second book (offered to help defray the printing costs).

Why did they make so many of them short strolls instead of long hikes?

We hiked, a LOT; although on rainy days during several visits, we did do the drive-bys planted in buildings, etc.

apparently so many of the boxes are so easy and convenient to find, you can get your first 100 without clues

This part is true, we didn't manage to attend an "event" but we did run into a couple of families of boxers who were gracious enough to explain the easy way to find boxes while Dbare (who's an engineeer and therefore to be forgiven) "putters" as the moms put it.

What? No hand-carved stamps?

Not entirely but the preponderance of those we found were store bought.

Hopefully people find this information useful.
Creative ways to hide Night boxes at an event
Apr 15, 2019 5:37pm
Thread Board
I’m hosting an event in October and want to do some sort of night box scavenger hint - I just got back from an event where I talked with a couple people who had some very creative ideas - so now it’s your turn to sound off ! Tell me your creative ideas or ways to hide or find night boxes in general or at an event .
Thanks !
Re: Night boxes at an event
Reply to: #974200 by brailleboxer
Apr 15, 2019 5:42pm
Thread Board
I've seen sets with fire tacks used to set up the trail and to note the location of the boxes.

I REALLY enjoyed LCABs set at SOHT the last time we were there.....She set out the boxes with small firefly lights to be looked for to find the boxes.
Ragged mountain
Board: State: Connecticut
Apr 15, 2019 6:00pm
Thread Board
Question for the fans, I’m planning out a ragged mountain hike, and I’m looking at clueless/silent Doug’s Mexican tiles boxes, realizing all the blazes have changed. Does anybody have knowledge of what trails used to be blazed?

Not sure on:
White blazed
Green dot
White dot
Red dot.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Reply to: #974157 by Quarry
Apr 15, 2019 6:03pm
Thread Board
Where is Stone Mountain?
Reply to: #974197 by Raven
Apr 15, 2019 6:06pm
Thread Board
I don't see why anyone can't post as loving and accepting LGBTQ-friendly persons, as just about every letterboxer I have met generally is.
Reply to: #974203 by Phoenix Rizing
Apr 15, 2019 6:19pm
Thread Board
Georgia, Atlanta