A Letterboxing Community

Search

Read Messages

Re: Heads up, free HBO week!
Board: Off Topic, Wildly
Reply to: #974147 by MissMoon
Apr 14, 2019 1:32pm
Thread Board
I'm very sure that was their MO ... to have the free week end right before the GOT premiere ... definitely not a coinky-dink. ;)
Re: Trans Boxers?
Board: LGTBQ Group
Reply to: #974150 by Phoenix Rizing
Apr 14, 2019 1:50pm
Thread Board
Phoniex Rising you should come vist stone mountain (again- I'm pretty sure I've seen your stamp at the park) sometime!
Re: the state of letterboxing in England
Board: Letterbox Chatter
Reply to: #974154 by Warrior Woman
Apr 14, 2019 2:25pm
Thread Board
I will try and let you know what I find.
Reply to: #974146 by Mizscarlet
Apr 14, 2019 2:30pm
Thread Board
Heading to Dartmoor in 2 weeks. Hope to snag a few boxes.

My new company is sending me to London May 7-10 for some training. Which I interpret to mean "we want you to take the train to Dartmoor".
I don't know if I can swing it, but I'd like to try to take the train down to Dartmoor either the weekend before or the weekend after the work stuff. I'll probably only have a day for it, but if you are still around at that time how awesome would it be to meet up!

If not, then somebody tell me where I should go (keep it clean, folks) and how I should get there. Never been to the UK before, so it'll all be fresh and new to me!
Reply to: #974159 by wassamatta u
Apr 14, 2019 3:25pm
Thread Board
I’ll check my itinerary to see which days we are going to be there. We are there 2 days as part of a 2 week trip.
Disappearing Edit Pencil
Board: Stupider Questions About Letterboxing
Apr 14, 2019 5:06pm
Thread Board
It might be just me, or my computer, but the edit pencil on the Countdown widget is missing. So are the little red x's so you can delete something after it's finished.
I need those.
  1. 1. I can't listed sometning without making a mistake somwhere.
  2. 2. I like to change the dates of some stuff. I'd prefer not to explain that one, but it's important to me.
So what happens the day after my next DING! DING! DING!
Re: Disappearing Edit Pencil
Reply to: #974161 by Maude
Apr 14, 2019 5:20pm
Thread Board
the edit pencil on the Countdown widget is missing. So are the little red x's so you can delete something after it's finished.

I don't use the countdown widget normally but I added it as a test and entered something to count down to. I have both a pencil and a red X and they both work.
Reply to: #974161 by Maude
Apr 14, 2019 5:46pm
Thread Board
I had that happen to me in the past - I had made an error in the name for the countdown, which pushed all the text (including the icons in the heading) off the column on the right. I had to have Ryan go in and delete the erroneous entry, and then all was well in the widget again.
Reply to: #974163 by Wise Wanderer
Apr 14, 2019 7:13pm
Thread Board
Thanks! You gave me an idea. Fixed it by changing the settings. I chose to have only 1 column, and could see the edit pencils again. Changed the boo-boo, and reset the columns back to 3. Done!
Reply to: #974164 by Maude
Apr 14, 2019 7:55pm
Thread Board
Brilliant!! That didn't occur to me 🤨
Reply to: #974156 by Basset Mom
Apr 14, 2019 7:57pm
Thread Board
Still free! Watched episode 1 of Season 8 with my fingers crossed. Lol
Apr 14, 2019 8:14pm
Thread Board
How awesome for you!! Best of luck on your quest. Please share your experiences, finding, etc.
YOU
Board: Television: After the Show Ends
Apr 14, 2019 8:18pm
Thread Board
So as I previously mentioned before, I can not wait to see Zac Efron's Ted Bundy. And since Amanda from Seattle mentioned YOU, a stalker series on Netflix, I figured I would check it out…. to fill the waiting void.

I finished the ten, 1 hour, episode series on Friday.And it's now Sunday as I needed time to think about my review.

I have to give fair warning, there are some spoilers, so please continue at your own caution. But to be fair, a 10 hour tv show vs 2 hr movie is far more in-depth and has way more moving parts; both of which, sometimes, can't be ignored.

YOU opens with a pretty young woman entering a book store and catching the eye of the book store manager. You are immediately given insight to Joe, the book store manager as he begins his narration of his thoughts, assumptions and opinions of the young woman, Guinevere Beck, aka Beck.

They flirt a little and since she asks for a book he reveres, Joe's instantly hooked. And the stalking begins.

In a short amount of time, Joe and the audience learns where she lives and how she is not very good at picking boyfriends. This also includes adult related scenario for all parties involved, unbeknownst to Beck and Benji. Anyhoooooo, the show continues as Joe follows Beck around and learns of her vain, self indulgent, millennial rich friends and how co-dependent Beck is of her bestie Peach. If you can't sense the disgust, trust me, it's there.

Then one night, as Joe has followed Beck to a Poetry bar, his position as back drop stalker shifts as Joe is forced to show himself in order to save Beck's life. In the interaction, Joe steals her cell phone and since it's connected to "The Cloud", even after she buys a new one, he still has access to any immediate information on her stolen phone.

Now, as her savior, Joe can engage and the story of all their lives begin.

Having provided the premise of this series, I want to talk about the characters. I say this because under no circumstance do I care about any of the adults, save for 100% Karen Mint and 30 (yes) -70 % (no) Joe Goldberg.

Wait, what????

Yes. You read that correctly.

So let's begin with Guinevere Beck, aka Beck, aka the "victim". I did not like her. I thought she was an idiot for taking Benji back. And more over, yes! Yes, she was a self-induced mess. She runs around blaming others for mis-managing her own crap and it's always someone's doing why she can't complete simple life stuff. And if that's not enough ….. I am going to use a 90's word here …. she is a major USER of every guy around her. AUGH. She looks sweet. She talks sweet but she basically yo-yo's Joe and his emotions (Not that I am defending a stalker/killer, here folks.) But there is something to be said about the mentality of the person who thinks they can treat anybody like this. Plus, she was a basic idiot regarding Peach.

So, since we are on the topic of manipulators and users, let's talk about PEACH. Rich, Bee-@TCH, Peach. Whereas Beck is manipulates and uses people, she does not do it on a level that doesn’t come from self loathing, and millennial entitlement. Peach on the other hand just sets up everyone around her to be at her beck and call and if any one dares disturbs her precious little ecosystem, she will end you. So, as YOU progresses, you get to see basically stalker vs stalker and how far people are willing to go to manipulate and use others. She is disgusting and frankly, she stayed too late at the party, and she needed to go.

Now let's talk about Joe. Joe. Joe. Joe. Joe is a bad person. Joe is stalker and a bad person. But the creators of the show threw in a BIG, a HUGE, a GINORMOUS wrench with little Paco. Paco is Joe's kid neighbor who stays in the hallway when her mother is doing drugs, or fighting with her abusive boyfriend or other adult related things. And it's in the hallway Joe usually finds Paco. Joe loves and treats Paco so well that in one episode, he gave up his favorite dinner to Paco. Joe also introduces Paco to the wonderful world of books, even "stealing/borrowing" a rare book for Paco. Joe loves Paco and it makes him human to audience. Soooo……. Joe is a bad person but still a good person. It's hard. It's like 30-70, folks. AND to be even more fair, Penn Badgley has these moments of puppy-brown-dog eyes that make you lose your stance against him. PLUS the fact that he is willing to "work through anything" to be with Beck, kinda makes you wavier your anti-bad guy position. Soooooo, again 30-70, folks.

Now on to "Little Karen Mint". Wow! What an insult for the ages! We get introduced to Karen Mint in later episodes and when she comes out, she comes out swinging, literally….. with a bat, literally. She is the one low-key person in the show and she almost goes unnoticed with two grand exceptions…. and they are pretty big: the break-up scene and her last conversation with Beck. But here's my problem with Karen. In her last conversation with Beck, she says "My get away from Joe key". Now this disturbs me. For one, Karen is pretty kick @ss, coming out with the bat. So……. I am baffled by this. What does Karen know about Joe. And if what she knows is about Joe is bad, why does a kick @ss person stay???? So, I went online to see what others thought of Karen's moment. The audiences apparently loved her. That did not help but I think maybe her coolness was her best power play because what she tells Beck basically takes Beck down.

Okay….. So, I talked about the characters. Now let's talk about why I am recommending this show. Well, for one, while you may not like the main characters, it does create drive to see what happens next. Benji. Stalker vs Stalker. The pee. Ron, the abusive boyfriend. Paco. This is the only reason why I loved Gone Girl. I had to see how it ended.

Two, because on some level, you will like Joe. Does this make me a bad person? For saying this? Possibly. Penn Badgley is near flawless as bad/good/stalker/killer guy. (Don't judge until you watch….)

Three because it does have a great supporting cast. Hell, Peach had to go because she was sooo evil, she was too evil. Karen. Paco. Ron. Ethan. Mr. Mooney.

But I will say, I did NOT appreciate the last conversation between Beck and Paco. Too far tv show creators. Too far!!!! But they don't care.

Also, final thought…. and no, I don't care if anyone does not believe me, I did not believe Joe killed Candace. Being honest, this belief did waiver slightly in some moments but overall, even after everything that had happened, I was not convinced. It was something Joe said about looking to masters about killing that made me doubt Candace's demise.

Anyhooooo…… apparently this series was so well received on Netflix, they have completed Season 2 already.

So, while no Kitty Paw count, I do highly recommend YOU.

csk
Re: Favorite boards
Board: Letterboxing Help Desk
Reply to: #974129 by Topcollector
Apr 14, 2019 11:51pm
Thread Board
I notice there are a lot of boards that I see on my newest threads widget, but that aren't favorites. How do I know which ones will show up and which ones won't? I thought I would only see my favorites.

The only widget that shows posts from just your favorite boards is the "Favorite Boards" widget. The "newest threads" and "newest posts" widget will show posts from all boards--unless you ignored them. (If they shows only newest threads and posts from your favorite boards, it would be the "Newest Threads of Favorite Boards" widget or something like that.)

-- Ryan
Reply to: #974164 by Maude
Apr 14, 2019 11:53pm
Thread Board
Fixed it by changing the settings. I chose to have only 1 column, and could see the edit pencils again.

It's not so much that the edit and delete options aren't there.... they just scrolled out of the view and there wasn't a way to access them unless you make the column wide enough to contain all the data for the widget.

-- Ryan
Reply to: #974151 by cooledcoyote
Apr 15, 2019 1:30am
Thread Board
For those who cannot get free HBO, note that your local library might have DVD's that you can check out for free. I've seen the first five seasons of GOT that way.
Re: YOU
Reply to: #974168 by Captain Slick Kitty
Apr 15, 2019 3:09am
Thread Board
Also it is a book ! So check tha out too for all you readers out there and you can compare and contrast.

Amanda
Apr 15, 2019 4:03am
Thread Board
My new company is sending me to London May 7-10 for some training. Which I interpret to mean "we want you to take the train to Dartmoor".

Work-sponsored letterboxing trips are awesome! My company’s sent me to Connecticut twice. This year the new store is in Rhode Island. Woo hoo!
Requesting Stamps for Nightboxing Event
Board: Stamp Swap
Apr 15, 2019 4:19am
Thread Board
SNB 4 is planned for this summer, and I am looking for folks willing to donate stamps. Please check out the request page and let me know if you would like to help. Thank you very much. 😊
Reply to: #974171 by Kirbert
Apr 15, 2019 4:39am
Thread Board
local library might have DVD's that you can check out for free.

To have a library card in my town costs $50.00!
Re: Stamps for Woodstock event
Board: Event News and Planning
Reply to: #974140 by mudflinginfools
Apr 15, 2019 4:40am
Thread Board
zappa
Re: Box of the week
Board: State: North Carolina
Reply to: #974137 by Outdoorsoccer
Apr 15, 2019 4:57am
Thread Board
Yay! Congratulations. 😃
Apr 15, 2019 4:58am
Thread Board
Thanks for the reminder! I just reserved Season 1 but the waiting list is pretty long so I may not get it for months. But waiting is better than paying for it, in my opinion.
Re: Favorite boards
Board: Letterboxing Help Desk
Reply to: #974169 by Green Tortuga
Apr 15, 2019 5:54am
Thread Board
Thank you.
Re: How is that Power Plant Challenge going?
Reply to: #972888 by RDHG
Apr 15, 2019 10:13am
Thread Board
I got 23 boxes planted this weekend for the event! They are all permanent plants.

Hmm beer foamy, beer good...
Reply to: #974168 by Captain Slick Kitty
Apr 15, 2019 11:02am
Thread Board
Oh no. i read the first few paragraphs and decided to take a look. I'm 14:21 into the first episode and I am hooked. Given that I was a financial investigator for two very large firms, it is amazing what the internet will tell you about someone so for the time being, it does not surprise me at all that Joe has found out what he has.

One of my biggest 'victories' is when two coworkers came back from New Orleans and had the just first name of a cute guy they met and wanted to know if I could "find him". I told them I'd try. With what they told me, I was able to locate his Facebook, age, finace's name, address, life history of where he had lived, what he made, what he drove, etc. and the picture of the house he currently lived in. They were stunned. I win!
Reply to: #974178 by Janila
Apr 15, 2019 11:52am
Thread Board
I'm not willing to wait. It won't even be on Netflix in DVD for months and months and they don't stream it. I just pay for HBO until GOT ends.

My free HBO promotional was gone this morning. I was amazed it lasted through that first episode last night.

After GOT of thrones is over I'm dumping the tv service anyway and just keeping the internet for streaming.
Reply to: #974184 by thndrkttn
Apr 15, 2019 11:56am
Thread Board
It really makes you think about all the information that you share online and how easy it would be for someone to use that information against you
Apr 15, 2019 11:59am
Thread Board
After watching what I gave DVRed now I may go back and see if my library has the 1st three seasons
Reply to: #974175 by Elle
Apr 15, 2019 12:05pm
Thread Board
To have a library card in my town costs $50.00!

If you read a lot you'll get your money's worth in books in a very short time. And it's kind of a donation.