Read Messages

Re: Heads up, free HBO week!
Board: Off Topic, Wildly
Reply to: #973958 by DarkZen and Evil Cow Pie
Apr 8, 2019 2:39pm
Thread Board
Thanks for the heads up.
Re: It's True!
Board: Dead Horses, Lemurs, and Kittens!
Reply to: #973963 by Kirbert
Apr 8, 2019 2:53pm
Thread Board
If people don’t want to find a plant as a drive by, they can always walk to it!
Re: Re:
Board: Letterbox Chatter
Reply to: #973855 by Oberon_Kenobi
Apr 8, 2019 3:05pm
Thread Board
me....
And I quite enjoyed snorting and guffawing, thank you very much.

you....I'm sure that you do.

me....Sometimes more than others.
Apr 8, 2019 3:22pm
Thread Board
:::::gasp:::::

I didn't know they did a third season!!

woo-hoo!
Apr 8, 2019 3:24pm
Thread Board
Darn, not free for me.
Trail color change in Shelton
Board: State: Connecticut
Apr 8, 2019 3:47pm
Thread Board
Trail notice: Oak Valley Trail at Shelton Lakes in Shelton is going to be changed from white blazes to red blazes very soon. This will undoubtedly impact a number of boxes. Probably some of mine included. The trail color is changing because there are three white-blazed loop trails that are now connected with two linear trails, and people on those linear trails get confused about which white trail is which. The loop in the center (Oak Valley Trail) will therefore be changed to red because that's the color I have available in my garage :)
Re: Russian Doll
Board: Television: After the Show Ends
Reply to: #973887 by Captain Slick Kitty
Apr 8, 2019 3:49pm
Thread Board
Our millennial daughter suggested Russian Doll to me and I liked it from the get-go. I'm rather fascinated with the "Groundhog's Day" loop sort of plot or anything to do with time-travel. I've yet to see one with a 100% closed loop though. . .

RD is harsh, I'll give you that, but the clothing, make-up and other rich and colorful details made it hard for em to stop after 3 episodes (Old Blue didn't like it so I gave him a turn at one he did). I went back for 2 more when it was 'my turn' again :-)

Looking forward to seeing how it all ends--hope it's something other than the waking-from-a-dream scenario. . . .

DoubleSaj
Re: Trail color change in Shelton
Reply to: #973969 by Trailhead Tessie
Apr 8, 2019 4:27pm
Thread Board
Ah, I new there was a reason you were pushing for Red
Re: Dancing Dolphins
Board: Look at Me! Look At You!
Reply to: #973913 by jlsd0218
Apr 8, 2019 4:44pm
Thread Board
Happy Cake Day! Always such fun bumping into you all! :)
Re: "Tick"led red
Reply to: #973912 by SherlockMiles
Apr 8, 2019 5:02pm
Thread Board
I use a 10% concentrate of permethrin (Martin's is a common brand, but there are others), and mix up my own batch of 0.5% permethrin solution. I fill a gallon jug with water, and add 6.75 oz of the concentrate.

Easy hack for treating clothes, I roll the clothes to be treated and put them into gallon freezer zip locks, 1 each for shirts and trousers. I pour 3-4 oz of solution into each bag, seal it tight, massage it in a little, and let it soak overnight. The next day, I can hang the clothes in the garage to dry (sunlight degrades permethrin, dry them inside). Once dried, I notice a slight chemical odor on the clothes, so I tend to let them hang in the basement laundry room until the odor lessens enough to fold them up, or I need them for a hike.
If I have any leftover solution, I put it up in a spray bottle (dedicated to the purpose) so I can spot treat a clothing item, as needed. Store it in a cool, dark place.

I find the method good for up to 2 months or 6 washings before re-treating.

**NOTA BENE, IF YOU HAVE CATS: PERMETHRIN IS A NEUROTOXIN.** When it is wet it can be deadly to cats. However, once it dries, it is harmless. FWIW, we have 5 hairballs of the feline persuasion. No hairball has been harmed by my DIY treatments.

Tick-proofing clothes: http://www.greendept.com/maximpulse/tickproof/Tick-proofing_clothes_instructions.pdf
Reply to: #973973 by Connfederate
Apr 8, 2019 5:11pm
Thread Board
I have some Buzz-off pants that is pretreated and good for I think they claim 70 washings.

Also Repel 98% deet is my favorite spray.

I'm a tick magnet
Reply to: #973973 by Connfederate
Apr 8, 2019 5:34pm
Thread Board
Easy hack for treating clothes, I roll the clothes to be treated and put them into gallon freezer zip locks, 1 each for shirts and trousers. I pour 3-4 oz of solution into each bag, seal it tight, massage it in a little, and let it soak overnight. The next day, I can hang the clothes in the garage to dry (sunlight degrades permethrin, dry them inside).

I've read you can do that, but it sounds like a lot of work and planning compared to just spraying your clothes and gear as needed, which has been effective for me. I'm also spraying my shoes, backpack, hat, car seat, tent, etc. I admit to spraying my clothing at times while I'm wearing it, which you're really not supposed to do, but if I find myself at a trailhead and forgot to treat an item of clothing during peak tick season, I'll give my clothing a light spray (which is why I like the aerosol). I figure the risk from the permethrin is probably less than the risk of a tick bite, especially when the baby nymph ticks are out.
Reply to: #973970 by DoubleSaj and Old Blue
Apr 8, 2019 5:34pm
Thread Board
Looking forward to seeing how it all ends--hope it's something other than the waking-from-a-dream scenario. . . .

No worries.

No Bobby Ewing in the shower BS here!

csk
Quilt Blocks Opening
Board: LTC: Trades and Trackers
Apr 8, 2019 7:41pm
Board
This previously closed tracker now has one opening.
https://www.atlasquest.com/showinfo.php?trackerId=10184
Shoutout to well-performing newbies!
Board: LTC Collective
Apr 8, 2019 7:46pm
Thread Board
Mama Dee- killing it hosting her first swap. Klumzy and tumble-eena are sending beautiful cards, ahead of deadline! Thank you all! You have my approval stamp so far!
Reply to: #973970 by DoubleSaj and Old Blue
Apr 8, 2019 8:24pm
Thread Board
I'm rather fascinated with the "Groundhog's Day" loop sort of plot or anything to do with time-travel. I've yet to see one with a 100% closed loop though. . .

That depends on what you mean by "closed loop". Is that time travel that causes itself? If so, then see the The Time Machine (2002), Predestination, Somewhere in Time, Pointless Time Travel, Supplement, Time Travel: A Love Story, A Stitch in Time.
It is because of the Novikov self-consistency principle.

Or you could mean a time loop where the protagonist doesn't make it out of the loop:
Time Loop, Stealing Time, Iteration 1.

Or you could mean a time loop where trying to change things doesn't really work: Exit Strategy.
Reply to: #973979 by Oberon_Kenobi
Apr 8, 2019 8:49pm
Thread Board
That depends on what you mean by "closed loop".

I believe it is the infamous "Post Post Paste" loop, where, following a message post, a seemingly infinite number of obscure references are pasted into a subsequent post.
Reply to: #973980 by wassamatta u
Apr 8, 2019 9:05pm
Thread Board
In discussions about geek topics, we (various geeks I talk with) will propose that this is a case that is unique. Then the others will come up with counter-examples. I have been on both sides.

That's all I was doing.
Re: AQ... confused!
Board: Yakking It Up
Reply to: #973951 by Green Tortuga
Apr 8, 2019 9:07pm
Thread Board
There is this one that makes your text upside down.
Reply to: #973979 by Oberon_Kenobi
Apr 8, 2019 9:08pm
Thread Board
Thanks, Oberon, for the list of movies/books to check out!

D-Saj
Re: Shoutout to well-performing newbies!
Reply to: #973978 by Neoterra
Apr 8, 2019 10:40pm
Thread Board
Thanks for sending the newbies my way!! I sent them our Welcome package. :-)
Reply to: #973947 by Dawgdok
Apr 8, 2019 10:40pm
Thread Board
And never with a date on it either .. lol ...
Reply to: #973984 by Linden Leaf
Apr 8, 2019 10:53pm
Thread Board
Apreciated! My beloved welcome cards are at the front of my binder of now 180 some.
Reply to: #973933 by Three FLAmigo's
Apr 9, 2019 12:40am
Thread Board
There has been many a recipient to get a tongue lashing and the promise of a boycott.

That nastiness towards people giving events is very uncalled for. I'm so surprised that anyone would do that to you Three FLAmigo's, your event was so much fun!!

Those giving events work extremely hard to give their events and they aren't rewarded with the same finds that their attendees receive. Times are changing and I'm so glad they are different from the old days!!

I love going to events!!

I mostly box alone and travel alot. Because I'm alone and handicapped, I do mostly drivebys. I do my own research & puzzle solving. All this adds to my fun.

At events I get to meet the letterboxers that I have communicated with on Atlas Quest. Events are my chance to box with other letterboxers and the more stamps, the more fun I have. I can actually do the trails too because I'm with others on the trails.

I stopped doing very many tabletoppers, event boxes, or HIPS because I want to be on the trails or socializing, and events are my chance. I have nothing against those letterboxes. It's just not my primary interest.

So in comparison, if someone doesn't like the way an event is run, don't come and don't try to ruin it for the rest of us who do like these events. Boycott away, that's your prerogative, but don't be sending your nasty emails to the event coordinator, they don't need it or deserve it. They are what keeps letterboxing alive for many of us!!

A big Thank You to all of you Letterboxers who are doing events and providing easy trails for those of us who can't do long trails.
Apr 9, 2019 3:56am
Thread Board
Thanks much appreciated!
Reply to: #973987 by LCAB
Apr 9, 2019 4:07am
Thread Board
Well said, LCAB!
Strattman Homestead
Apr 9, 2019 5:33am
Thread Board
Where on/in Mohawk Mountain is the Strattman Homestead? I know its no longer there (demolished 1913), but where on the map is it? Can't find it referenced anywhere. Thanks.
Apr 9, 2019 5:40am
Thread Board
Thanks for your encouragement!
And I agree, all of the newbies are doing great! We had Neoterra, Klmzy, Living Outside the Box, & Inktap all performed well, many cards received well before time!
I am happy that we could share in our experience together & encourage one another.
Re: Strattman Homestead
Reply to: #973990 by SherlockMiles
Apr 9, 2019 6:08am
Thread Board
I'm willing to do a bit of searching if you can give me more information.
Re: Strattman Homestead
Reply to: #973993 by Grrly Girl
Apr 9, 2019 7:30am
Thread Board
I think it’s diagonal across the parking area at blue trail on Mohawk Mtn rd.
It is mentioned here LbNA # 3294