Skip to Content
Register · Login
About Theme

A Letterboxing Community

Search

Read Messages

It's True!
Board: Dead Horses, Lemurs, and Kittens!
Apr 7, 2019 3:22pm
Thread Board
I have heard of the legendary travels and great box count of Wanda and Pete. Today while doing some box maintenance and looking through one of my logbooks what should appear before my bulging eyes ***wait for it**** the signature "stamp" of yes indeed, Wanda and Pete.
Re: Leaving boxes uncovered
Board: Letterbox Chatter
Reply to: #973891 by Kirbert
Apr 7, 2019 3:23pm
Thread Board
In geocaching, proper etiquette is to leave the cache slightly visible.

We apparently do it differently around here, in Utah. We completely hide them. Sometimes they are so thoroughly hidden that it takes a few trips. This is a main difference between the two hobbies: Letterboxing is about the find (the stamp), but geocaching is about the hide. Sometimes the hide is meant to be easy; sometimes it is meant to be difficult. Hence the terrain and difficulty ratings.

But with letterboxing the difficulty is in figuring out what the clue means. Sometimes it is easy; sometimes it is also hidden by a difficult cipher.

This is because the GPS coordinates only lead to a roughly 30-foot radius referred to as the "geocache zone" and from there on the cacher must simply search for the cache. If he's any good he'll use "geomojo" which means to look around and think about where a cache would be hidden. But the more ignorant geocachers -- most of them -- will simply look around, and if they can't plainly see the cache they will start digging stuff up -- and they will make a first-class mess out of the entire 30-foot radius. Seriously, it'll look like wild hogs dug it up looking for grubs.

We don't like geocachers that do this; the digging up of everything. There are a few of them around here who will do this, but lately we haven't seen them doing this. Maybe they have learned the proper way to search, or they have grown more mature with their (retirement) age.

Hence, conscientious geocachers, upon finding a cache, will usually try to rehide it so it's a bit visible. The problem is convincing letterboxers that this is not a geocache, the box should be completely hidden from view.

A common note on geocaches around here is to "hide better than you found it." I follow that admonishment. Some of my caches I have hidden very well. A few times I have even been greeted at geocaching events with, "I hate you!" because I did, hide it better than I found it.

People around here learn to "use the Force", or "geomojo" as you put it.

Different regions have different cultures. We hide both letterboxes and geocaches around here.

The best idea is to hide your letterboxes away from geocaches. Find a geocacher in your area to help this to happen. I have let letterboxers know where geocaches are so that they can hide them away from them. I have even convinced a geocacher to move his cache because there was a letterbox placed nearby, before his geocache. I know of another geocache in the area that was moved because the letterbox was placed first. Maybe the geocachers around here are just more friendly. Except for the (very) few jerks, that the geocachers don't like either.
Re: It's True!
Reply to: #973898 by Elle
Apr 7, 2019 3:24pm
Thread Board
I love when Wanda finds my boxes, she always writes a nice little note.
Reply to: #973892 by Kirbert
Apr 7, 2019 3:27pm
Thread Board
In MN we don't get big on adding addendums to clues, but if someone is being a goober, word gets around very quickly, and said goober gets shunned pretty quickly, and their reputation follows them.

sad, but true.
Re: Visiting Charleston
Board: State: South Carolina
Reply to: #973861 by GypsyLadybug
Apr 7, 2019 4:04pm
Thread Board
Lived in Charleston for 8 months. And blogged about most of it.

Here's more things in SC as well

Definitely a lot for history buffs both in and in the surrounding area.
Highly recommend Forts Moultrie and Sumter. Kayaking around Morris Island and the Morris Island lighthouse was well worth it. Best beaches are all outside of town imho with best close place being Botany Bay.

Best,
Squatchis
Reply to: #973896 by Weeping Willow 52
Apr 7, 2019 4:07pm
Thread Board
Of course not. I also have a last phrase reminder to log the find. Use any part of my clue format that might be helpful.
Reply to: #973898 by Elle
Apr 7, 2019 4:14pm
Thread Board
I will have to box my whole life to catch up to them and I'll still never be anywhere close. Wanda has a secret sense. I swear, she can just go to a box. It's impressive and she's so quick on her feet! It's an inspiration to get more in shape.
Re: Visiting Charleston
Board: State: South Carolina
Reply to: #973861 by GypsyLadybug
Apr 7, 2019 4:25pm
Thread Board
Hi there! We visit Charleston every year, and love it there. I would definitely suggest a carriage ride as the drivers are very informative concerning the history of the area, etc. The Charleston Market is fun, too. Visit the waterfront. Beautiful. In downtown, we love Fleet Landing for eats; just on the outskirt of town Calfornia Dreaming is yummy. If you can get to Boone Hall Plantation, or any of the plantations, absolutely worth the trip. We also love the nearby islands - Wadmalaw, Kiawah, Seabrook. Kiawah and Seabrook are gated, but you can get in so far. Wadmalaw also has a fantastic winery and distillery - Deep Water and Firefly. Lots of fun. We have also visited the Charleston Tea Plantation. Very interesting tour. Have a ball! - Angel Treads
Reply to: #973863 by Sirius Star Gazer
Apr 7, 2019 5:39pm
Thread Board
It might not be the last finder/hider. At the end of March, I was the first finder of two that were exposed. It was expressed that one of those boxes in particular needs to be well hidden. I am pretty certain they covered their own plants well. It might not always be the last person who left it exposed.
Restrictions and my latest learning curve...
Apr 7, 2019 6:27pm
Thread Board
To further expound on Janilas comment regarding scouts and school field trips where you have a school bus load of kids and a few adult chaperones and then a kid telling a friend telling a friend...

A couple of months ago I received an email from a supervisor of a park that Janila and I had recently planted in. A bus load of approximately 30 people (kids & adults) on a field trip pulled into the park and found all the boxes which they then promptly took into the office and asked for ink pads and paper so they could ink up the stamps. Cheryl let them know she didn't have any ink for them to use. And that was the precursor to her request to me that I supply ink pads in the boxes. I explained to Cheryl that was not how we did it. She was very perplexed over this and after several emails and a phone call I made another trip to the park and we talked it over and I explained letterboxing to her yet again and that her park visitors had it wrong, not me.

Then Janila and I were discussing and behold there was a AHA moment! When listing the clue I was selecting "NONE" when I should have been selecting "EVERYBODY" which means you have an AQ account. Duh! In my mind I always thought "none" meant no restrictions which is true but it also meant anyone with internet has access to the clues/boxes.

This was major eye opening!

They didn't even have AQ accounts and probably very little knowledge of how to play the game. OH MAN this explains so much!

Immediately I went in and changed every single one of my boxes to "Everybody", and so far so good.

While I hate having a restriction, creating an AQ acct is easy and free. If they can't take all of 2 minutes to sign up then is unlikely they will spend 5 minutes reading up on a few basic faqs.
Re: Restrictions and my latest learning curve...
Reply to: #973908 by Three FLAmigo's
Apr 7, 2019 6:50pm
Thread Board
Thank you for sharing that tidbit. I am wondering if I want to take the time to go edit my boxes, too.
Reply to: #973868 by Basset Mom
Apr 7, 2019 8:04pm
Thread Board
"Makes me think that people who don't hide them back well must be newer to the hobby or LBers who haven't carved and hidden any (or many) plants of their own yet ... or they'd understand the need better. "

If only this were true........just sayin'.......

How hard is it to look back where you put the box and make sure you CANT SEE IT.
Reply to: #973909 by RDHG
Apr 7, 2019 8:06pm
Thread Board
I might be wrong, but the only downside I can see of using the everybody restriction is it makes a box ineligable for blue diamond status. Which in turn makes it impossible to become box of the week.
I'm sure plenty of folks couldn't care less about the whole dimond/box of the week thing- but if your chasing a (or another) blue dimond plant of your own you might look into which if any restrictions can be used. (If I'm reading it correctly the answer is none)
Not sure what happens if a box/series already has a blue dimond- but I'm pretty sure I know which series this is, and that it is currently a blue diamond series.
I'm also just guessing but wouldn't be at all surprised if the park manager is advertising boxes to large groups of children. If this is the series I strongly suspect it is, I met her last winter. It was very very interesting.
"Tick"led red
Board: State: Connecticut
Apr 7, 2019 8:09pm
Thread Board
Personal tick count this weekend 6!! uggh.
Dancing Dolphins
Board: Look at Me! Look At You!
Apr 7, 2019 8:16pm
Thread Board
Happy Happy AQversary tooooo youuuuuu
Reply to: #973911 by Quarry
Apr 7, 2019 8:28pm
Thread Board
I might be wrong, but the only downside I can see of using the everybody restriction is it makes a box ineligable for blue diamond status.

That’s not true for blue diamond eligibility, only for purple diamond (box of the week) eligibility.
Tracker listings in logbook
Board: Suggestion Box
Apr 7, 2019 8:52pm
Thread Board
Is there a way I can set the default viewing for trackers to Launch date (newest to oldest), rather than alphabetical?

Also, is it possible to get the tag codes to show on the main listing of all my trackers in the log book? It doesn't make sense to have different tag codes for carved, waiting, black-holed, etc, but then not be able to see them without having to click on each individual tracker to see the details. The tags are an easy way to see the status of all trackers all at once.
Re: Dancing Dolphins
Reply to: #973913 by jlsd0218
Apr 7, 2019 9:05pm
Thread Board
Agreed!

Coincidentally, I have a letterbox named Dancing Dolphins.
Reply to: #973914 by Dawnkey
Apr 7, 2019 10:05pm
Thread Board
This raises the question of changing the rules to get a BOTW. Why can it not be changed to allow everybody restriction boxes to be awarded it. Do you not need an AQ account to log a find and vote on a box, so it would only make sense, at least to me.
Reply to: #973910 by SherlockMiles
Apr 8, 2019 1:38am
Thread Board
How hard is it to look back where you put the box and make sure you CANT SEE IT.

Too hard, apparently.

I give my containers a pretty good camo paint job. That way even if the finder just tosses them back into the bushes, they are still not overly visible. I must say that I've found quite a few letterboxes in containers that were not camo'd, which IMHO is just asking for them to get picked up and tossed as litter.
Re: Easter Tree
Board: State: Pennsylvania
Reply to: #973871 by lotus
Apr 8, 2019 3:40am
Thread Board
Thank you Easter Bunny!! Can't wait to see what the Bunny left for all of us. Thank you for all your hard work and the fun you create for each of us.
LbNA Tip of the Day
Board: Letterboxing.org Chatter
Apr 8, 2019 4:04am
Thread Board
Is there a way to see all of the "Tip of the Day" tips?
Re: Dancing Dolphins
Reply to: #973913 by jlsd0218
Apr 8, 2019 4:07am
Thread Board
Dancing Dolphins...one of my favorite letterboxing families! You have been such a great addition to the letterboxing hobby. Wishing you many wonderful seasons ahead!
Re: "Tick"led red
Reply to: #973912 by SherlockMiles
Apr 8, 2019 5:56am
Thread Board
My husband has you beat with 10 minutes outside and 11 ticks. Eww.
Re: "Tick"led red
Reply to: #973925 by LROSEM
Apr 8, 2019 6:06am
Thread Board
My husband has you beat with 10 minutes outside and 11 ticks. Eww.

Gah! Time to spray all the clothes and gear with Permethrin. I'm going to pick up half a dozen cans at Home Depot today. UPDATE: Home Depot doesn't seem to carry the spray anymore, but I got a good deal via Walmart online. Six 9 oz cans with free shipping for $37.78 including tax. That's a very good price for six cans, which should last awhile. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Sawyer-Products-Permethrin-Premium-Clothing-Insect-Repellent-9-oz-Aerosol/21811673
Re: LbNA Tip of the Day
Board: Letterboxing.org Chatter
Reply to: #973921 by Grrly Girl
Apr 8, 2019 6:37am
Thread Board
Look for them every day? 🤔
Reply to: #973911 by Quarry
Apr 8, 2019 6:42am
Thread Board
Oh yes you are thinking of the correct park supervisor, she laminated the clues and bought a case of ink pads for the bus loads. But I used to work in central parks and lead beginner LetterBoxing 101 classes inside that nature center. Also that supervisor was fairly well versed in letterboxing ettiquette and was well aware of what was going on.

The park that I was referring to is in a south park and where I just planted boxes this year.
Reply to: #973909 by RDHG
Apr 8, 2019 6:50am
Thread Board
Editing ALL of my boxes was probably overkill?

But a majority of my boxes are planted in our county parks and the boxes I have had the most problems with have been our county parks with a nature center, playground and pavilion, ie hot spots for field trips, scouts and a easy place to eat lunch for a bus load of kids.

Our boxes in the middle of the Ocala National Forest will unlikely ever have this problem :)

I may go in and edit again but at the time I was in a frenzy once I realized what had happened.
Reply to: #973932 by RIclimber
Apr 8, 2019 7:26am
Thread Board
Online logging is against the spirit of letterboxing somehow.

Not just online logging is against the spirit of letterboxing but so are drive-bys, temporary plants, events with more than a few boxes, gatherings with more than 25 people...

Letterboxing has morphed much since the old timers started it here in the states and woe to the newer generation who are not playing by those early rules. There has been many a recipient to get a tongue lashing and the promise of a boycott.
Reply to: #973914 by Dawnkey
Apr 8, 2019 7:35am
Thread Board
Thanks Dawnkey!