A Letterboxing Community

Search

Read Messages

Re: LBNA and AQ
Board: Letterboxing Help Desk
Reply to: #973757 by Sagacorn
Apr 3, 2019 5:35pm
Thread Board
I would love that to be the case but I have not found that on my plants or finds.
Re: April 10th Event
Board: State: North Carolina
Reply to: #973740 by RDHG
Apr 3, 2019 7:30pm
Thread Board
Oh my goodness! That's a great turnout for your event. I would love to help but I can't make it up there on a weekday - so sorry! It sounds like you're going to need some help. 😁 Good luck to you. Hopefully, you can recruit some new local boxers to the hobby/obsession!
Re: Recommend inexpensive markers?
Board: Letterbox Chatter
Reply to: #973763 by Trail Fairy
Apr 3, 2019 7:51pm
Thread Board
Crayola standard markers work well. Just watch out for their "fabric" line of markers. They offer neat colors and it may have just been my experience, but I have experienced more difficulty with these fabric ones inking up as well.
Re: Savannah visit
Board: State: Georgia
Reply to: #973769 by Astrophel
Apr 3, 2019 8:50pm
Thread Board
Two of the prettiest letterbox carves in Savannah:
Smoke on the Wat-arrr
King of The Dead

There are many others that are still active - Big 7, Flamingo on bull st, Be my Teddy Bear, Oldest Bar in GA, Top Award and Despair are all active drive bys in the downtown area.

There are many others in nearby Pooler. Unfortunately, I could not find any in Tybee Island.

Safe travels and enjoy Savannah!
Re: Welcome to Camp Aint-Gotta-Clue
Board: State: California
Reply to: #973556 by Captain Slick Kitty
Apr 3, 2019 10:34pm
Thread Board
That sounds lovely! I don't know where I will be working in fall (currently in SF Bay Area) but if I can make it happen I will be there. How fun!
Reply to: #973775 by Super Hedge Hoggie
Apr 4, 2019 8:17am
Thread Board
Thank you for recommending my box, Smoke on the Wat-arrr, but unfortunately it seems to be missing. :( It is retired. I still have hopes that maybe someone will return it. It was one of my favorite carves.
Reply to: #973777 by ArnoldZiffel
Apr 4, 2019 8:51am
Thread Board
Smoke on the Wat-arrr, but unfortunately it seems to be missing.

Oh no!! SAD! I'm so sorry it is missing - boxes do not last long in the wild in Savannah. That particular set of bushes is popular as a 'hangout place' for those who like to smoke and for guys who 'ride the rails'. No joke - a guy came up to me in those bushes and asked if I had a joint, and then told us about his life hopping onto trains for a few years. I bet he saw some amazing sights!!
Re: Light & Magnification
Board: Tools of the Trade
Reply to: #972585 by Dawgdok
Apr 4, 2019 9:03am
Thread Board
I have been using the Ottlight ( double necked )
Lamp and magnifier and this is what works well for me.
Good luck ..please let us know if you find something that works better for you!
Flamingos need to disperse
Board: Stamp Swap
Apr 4, 2019 1:39pm
Thread Board
I have a flock of flamingos that need to be planted. Would anyone be interested in adopting a stamp or trading some of their own stamps?

I carved one a day in February for DeFAD (Delaware Fun-a-day) and thought it would be fun to trade with other carvers rather than have Delaware filled up with just my pink friends.
Re: Flamingos need to disperse
Reply to: #973780 by geckospot
Apr 4, 2019 2:16pm
Thread Board
I would make a trade. I can plant one in either Hawaii, Florida or where I live in Texas. What do you want carved in return?
🤠
Michael's
Board: Tools of the Trade
Apr 4, 2019 2:50pm
Board
Holy cow! Just learned that our Michael's closed--no notice. I've even been getting advertising fliers from them. Ours wasn't very good anyway, every time I went there they had discontinued something else. Our Hobby Lobby is much better and we still have a Paper Boutique and JoAnns (which I don't care for except for sewing & yarn).
Apr 4, 2019 4:32pm
Thread Board
I would love some flamingos for our big animal event in September! I’d be glad to send them back afterwards, or they could travel on to be part of the event kit. I would also be glad to send you some carves of anything you like. Right now I have some puppies and kittens that need a home...
Super Hedge Hoggie
Counterpart
Apr 4, 2019 5:12pm
Thread Board
I've got no idea who is watching the series but it is one of the best we've seen in quite a long time. And the way the spies transfer messages is distinctly letterboxing style!
It is beautiful out there
Board: State: Connecticut
Apr 4, 2019 5:14pm
Thread Board
This spring is starting out so nicely. Have been hiking all over the state and find the trails are in great shape for spring. been to south eastern and north western parts of the state and I am telling you it is time to get out there. Plant, find and shed those winter blues. The trails in Douglas Ma are great too. I welcome any updates and suggestions for other trails. Is Sleeping Giant open yet? What about Tyler Mill?
Re: Counterpart
Reply to: #973785 by Public Hand
Apr 4, 2019 5:26pm
Thread Board
How do you mean? Are they using "dead drops" also called "dead letter boxes"?
Happy Cake Day to...
Board: State: Michigan
Apr 4, 2019 5:31pm
Thread Board
koalacat!!! Hope you're enjoying yours as much as 4Eyes and I did ours on Saturday. Minus the ticks. :)
Re: Counterpart
Reply to: #973785 by Public Hand
Apr 4, 2019 5:51pm
Thread Board
I've got no idea who is watching the series

I loved it, but sadly it was cancelled and has not yet been picked up by another network. But fortunately, it didn't end on a cliffhanger, and in fact wrapped up rather nicely.
Re: It is beautiful out there
Reply to: #973786 by burning feet
Apr 4, 2019 7:16pm
Thread Board
I agree! Most trails are clear, it's cool, no bugs, no crowds - perfect! Sleeping Giant is not yet open though.
Apr 4, 2019 9:22pm
Thread Board
We would be willing to trade a flamingo for one of our event stamps, that we were looking to replant. Let us know.
"Gifts"
Apr 4, 2019 9:28pm
Thread Board
So last year when we were out letterboxing we happen to find a very small rubber ducky in one of the letter boxes...( we figured it must have been from a geo.... ) We couldnt help but smile and keep him/her/it :) It sits in my(katie) car. Kinda a reminder of the good time we had..... As Im sitting here tonight making a few "First Finder" Gifts for the new letterboxes we want to plant soon i thought... What if I turned some of these into gifts... Kinda like a hitchhiker but something you keep.... Having a box number to it and everything...And every now and then placing one inside a box we find.... Maybe hoping to put a smile on someone eles face....

Just something on my mind...
What are some gifts you found around...did you keep it or put it back? Would it be cool to find random gifts or is that too much like geocaching...
Re: "Gifts"
Reply to: #973792 by Moms_Play
Apr 4, 2019 9:39pm
Thread Board
I have found (in a geocache) a rubber duckie with a geocoin (like a hitchhiker in geocaching) glued to the bottom. You could always glue a stamp to the bottom of the rubber duckie.
Reply to: #973786 by burning feet
Apr 4, 2019 10:05pm
Thread Board
Glad you have nice weather. All we are having is rain, rain, and more rain. Our back yard has been under water all winter.
Apr 5, 2019 1:20am
Thread Board
$1.00 bill in a box - kept it
a green "gumby" alien hanging on a tree near the box - kept it
broken shells and pebbles - left them behind
Reply to: #973794 by Topcollector
Apr 5, 2019 2:30am
Thread Board
We've been boxing most of this mild winter in Ma. on snowy, icy, wet, muddy trails. And I'm very happy to now have the warmer days with less trail challenges. Not to say a good rain won't muddy the trails again but I'll take that over ice!!!!! Oh boy, next come the gnats, mosquito's and ticks. Oh the wonderful woods.!!!!!!
Apr 5, 2019 2:39am
Thread Board
What are some gifts you found around...did you keep it or put it back?

My then-teenaged daughter and I stumbled across a geocache that contained a half-empty bottle of "warming lotion." We put it back (and then sanitized our hands).
Re:
Apr 5, 2019 2:52am
Thread Board
I don’t understand the part about having a box number on it. Do you mean you would list it as...what?

If it’s your box, you can put whatever you want in there. Someone else’s box, I wouldn’t unless you’ve contacted them and know they’re cool with it.
Re: Re:
Reply to: #973798 by Sheba
Apr 5, 2019 3:38am
Thread Board
I think she meant put the box # that the gift was left in. SHe wasn't implying it would "listed" as anything.
Reply to: #973796 by Sagacorn
Apr 5, 2019 4:13am
Thread Board
Ah if only I can get a decent Friday with no predictions of rainy downpour! I’m sticking close again today, back to Kettletown and the Upper Naug Valley Health boxes and home by 1.
Re: Happy Cake Day to...
Board: State: Michigan
Reply to: #973788 by Dawnkey
Apr 5, 2019 4:26am
Thread Board
Thank you! I hope you and 4 Eyes had a wonderful.Cake Day. I had to work, and dealing with some health issues that I hope clear out before next month. Nic did pick up slices of cake, so there was some cake for me on my 10th cake day! Cannot believe it has been 10 years.
Re:
Apr 5, 2019 5:19am
Thread Board
I once found in a letterbox a ff prize that was a store bought world traveler stamp with a very nice plexiglas backing on it. Didn't want to keep it so I thought I'd do something unique with it to keep it moving at least for a while. And it worked for awhile anyway. Check it out here.