Search

Read Messages

Re: Our board game is on Kickstarter
Board: Games People Play
Reply to: #973494 by Intrinsically Knotted
Mar 28, 2019 1:33pm
Thread Board
Per Kickstarter:
No one is charged until funding date and only if the campaign hits funding goal.

Assuming Gartenbau funds, it should be available through Fisher Heaton's website at a later date. As of right now, FH doesn’t have retail distribution. You can follow them on Instagram, Facebook, BoardGameGeek.com as well as fisherheatongames.com

Thank you for your support!
Re: The ‘Other’ Blue stuff update
Board: Stamp Carving and Mounting
Reply to: #973500 by DarkZen and Evil Cow Pie
Mar 28, 2019 1:49pm
Thread Board
There was a carving material that people were going crazy for a while back from Etsy that came in different colors blue/purple ... I had some blue that was wonderful--not the speedball stuff that's nasty. I can't remember the name we were using, but there is a good blue material out there somewhere, very solid & no crumbles. It's similar to the sandwich stuff, but I liked the solid colors better.

I just googled 'carving material' and about the 5th picture over shows the stuff that I think I used.
Reply to: #973503 by Topcollector
Mar 28, 2019 2:27pm
Thread Board
The stuff from SweetLoveQiner (which we nicknamed SLQ) was popular for a while, and we found that colors -- notably green -- carved better than white. I think it's 8mm thick. But the stuff from Japan called Seed because that's the only recognizable word in English on the package is far better, but a bit expensive from most sources because shipping is outrageous. I think it's 11mm thick. Webfoot got some Seed in to help defray shipping costs from Japan, so stampeaz.com is the place to look for it.
Can you explain this?
Board: State: Massachusetts
Mar 28, 2019 2:52pm
Thread Board
Walking along the Midstate trail in Douglas St. Forest from gate 19 today I saw a stamp hanging from a tree with green ribbon. No bag, box or log; just a hanging stamp!!! It is carved on the pink stuff and is an image of Jon Snow. Does anyone know anything about this?
Re: Can you explain this?
Reply to: #973505 by Sagacorn
Mar 28, 2019 3:25pm
Thread Board
229490 <<< I wonder if he belongs to this box number??
SPRING means MAINTENANCE on boxes
Board: Letterbox Chatter
Mar 28, 2019 3:40pm
Thread Board
Please think about putting maintenance items in your bag to help those boxes that haven't made it thru the years. Being 1 of those planters that have planted everywhere i am thankful for boxers who do maintenance on my far far away plants.
Baggies, tupperware, duct tape and paper towels are easy to carry.

Thanx for thinking about being a MAINTENANCE MARVEL

deniserows
with lots of baggies
Reply to: #973506 by Basset Mom
Mar 28, 2019 4:03pm
Thread Board
I found it much further on the Midstate. Cross the SNETT and Midstate goes right. I found stamp on that section.
Mar 28, 2019 4:32pm
Thread Board
That's one of the missing bonus boxes!!! Did you grab it?
Reply to: #973509 by Rocklun
Mar 28, 2019 4:52pm
Thread Board
I didn't take it with me as I didn't know what it was. I can explain exactly where it is if anyone want to go grab it.
Reply to: #973510 by Sagacorn
Mar 28, 2019 5:38pm
Thread Board
Traveln Turtle found it too. I dont know how we all missed it. cool carving too. Looks like Jonathan with a beard. or is it Location Unknown?
Re: How to find out if geocaches are nearby.
Board: Traditional Letterboxes
Reply to: #973499 by Kelsung
Mar 28, 2019 5:53pm
Thread Board
On a few occasions where I know a geocache is near a letterbox, I will put a note in the box telling where to find the geocache

I did that with a box that had a cache planted in the same fallen tree (box planted first, in the stump; cache planted in a Y in the trunk). The cache owner also noted it in his clues. I’ve always found CO’s are pretty easy to work with in that respect.
Reply to: #973510 by Sagacorn
Mar 28, 2019 6:26pm
Thread Board
Jonathan will probably grab it when he grabs the event series. Won’t let me log it since I didn’t find the original. Seems weird. I find bonuses all the time without actually finding the first box. The joys of New England letterboxing.
Re: Poll: Which style of AQ logbook do you prefer?
Reply to: #973358 by RIclimber
Mar 28, 2019 6:33pm
Thread Board
but what I really miss is seeing if my boxes are active or retired when I click on my own logbook!

In all the talk about finds I didn't even notice that. I have to click on my own box to see if it's retired. I pretty much know which ones are retired but I should be able to see at a glance. And as you said, for people who have events and plant a lot of boxes, having to click one to see if it's retired is just a giant pain.

I looked at someone else's plants and can't see which ones are retired without clicking on it. That is not helpful.
Re: Poll: Which style of AQ logbook do you prefer?
Reply to: #973358 by RIclimber
Mar 28, 2019 6:44pm
Thread Board
It also makes checking if I retired the boxes after the event much harder.

I realize that it takes more steps then the old logbook, but if you're looking for a list of your boxes that can be conveniently checked for status, do an Advanced Search with your own name inserted as Planter. I think you end up with the old logbook except the unlisted finds aren't there.
Re: Tick season...
Reply to: #973418 by mudflinginfools
Mar 28, 2019 7:05pm
Thread Board
So I just saw that rosemary helps keep ticks at bay.
Wondering if there is an essential rosemary oil we can soak our clothing in??
🤔 😄
Re: SPRING means MAINTENANCE on boxes
Reply to: #973507 by deniserows
Mar 28, 2019 7:19pm
Thread Board
I try & help where I can. I usually bring extra baggies & can at least contribute that where I see it’s needed.
Reply to: #973513 by Travel'n Turtle
Mar 28, 2019 7:22pm
Thread Board
I find bonuses all the time without actually finding the first box

I have never found a bonus box! I think we have too much space in Texas. I figure that means I need to plant one bonus box.
Reply to: #973513 by Travel'n Turtle
Mar 28, 2019 7:52pm
Thread Board
I find bonuses all the time without actually finding the first box.

If you mean you can see and log them on AQ, it’s because the planter has to make the bonus box “dependent” on the traditional box when they list it, if they want it to be hidden. Otherwise it shows up just like any other box.
Re: Anyone Have OC D?
Board: Yakking It Up
Reply to: #973265 by Oberon_Kenobi
Mar 28, 2019 8:20pm
Thread Board
OMG! That is soooooo me !!!!!!!!
Reply to: #973519 by Wise Wanderer
Mar 29, 2019 3:18am
Thread Board
Thanks for the explanation. Yes, I know about dependency. I just mean it is frustrating because in the past we have been able to log them. I know it’s the change in AQ.
Happy AQversary to PackerBackers!
Board: Look at Me! Look At You!
Mar 29, 2019 3:53am
Thread Board
Happy Cake Day - 12 years!

TeachJR
Reply to: #973519 by Wise Wanderer
Mar 29, 2019 3:55am
Thread Board
When I do one, I usually make it a two-box listing and Box 1 is the main box and box 2 is listed as Bonus, but I don't put a clue to it in the clue to the main one. So, if people who print the clue they are following happen to notice there's a bonus box listed, they'll pay attention when they find the main one. If they didn't happen to notice there is a bonus box listed and are simply following the clue, then they will have to notice the bonus box clue when they find the original.
Reply to: #973500 by DarkZen and Evil Cow Pie
Mar 29, 2019 4:55am
Thread Board
Thanks for looking into this material, I would definitely be interested in trying it!
Re: Happy AQversary to PackerBackers!
Reply to: #973522 by TeachJR
Mar 29, 2019 5:07am
Thread Board
Happy day! Hooray!
Mar 29, 2019 6:50am
Thread Board
Walking along the Midstate trail in Douglas St. Forest from gate 19 today I saw a stamp hanging from a tree with green ribbon. No bag, box or log; just a hanging stamp!!! It is carved on the pink stuff and is an image of Jon Snow.

This sounds like a wonderful dream.
Re: SPRING means MAINTENANCE on boxes
Reply to: #973507 by deniserows
Mar 29, 2019 6:50am
Thread Board
Great reminder to restock my bag! (And call my boxing buddy)
box radar
Board: Smart Phones and Other Handheld Devices
Mar 29, 2019 8:58am
Thread Board
When I am on a trip and have not printed or researched clues in an area I turn on box radar on my phone. Looks like it is not is service any more.
Is there another app I can put on my phone to find boxes and clues as I drive?
Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
NFF
Re: Unsuccessfully trying to record finds on older boxes
Board: Letterboxing Help Desk
Reply to: #973493 by Topcollector
Mar 29, 2019 8:58am
Thread Board
These changes remind me of the Microsoft Word updates at work. About the time I figure everything out and things are running smoothly, someone decides to do an update and change everything.

Thats exactly how I feel about cell phones!
Re: box radar
Board: Smart Phones and Other Handheld Devices
Reply to: #973528 by nfsquared
Mar 29, 2019 9:09am
Thread Board
I used to use Box Radar, but now I use Clue Tracker. I love it.
Re: Happy AQversary to PackerBackers!
Reply to: #973522 by TeachJR
Mar 29, 2019 9:28am
Thread Board
Cheers to Packer Backers and her namesake team too! I have enjoyed seeing you at events throughout the years.