A Letterboxing Community

Search

Read Messages

Re: Eevil Boxes
Board: Letterbox Chatter
Reply to: #973071 by Oberon_Kenobi
Mar 21, 2019 7:44pm
Thread Board
There is one that I still think about from time to time. I thought I had it figured out but when I searched it was not there. It's never been found, no attempts. I know one of the NC boxes went missing before it was ever found (but was replaced). Maybe this one is also mia.

I'd like to ask Eevil if I was indeed at the right spot, but........
Re: New Box Listings
Board: Stupider Questions About Letterboxing
Reply to: #973099 by Janila
Mar 21, 2019 10:19pm
Thread Board
When I pull your logbook up on my computer your finds are private so I can't see them, but the other 3 choices I can click between and they change immediately. I never see a Go button, ever. There was a Ctrl function button to click to do something to the browser to reset it. I don't know how to find that message from Ryan, but maybe you could try that if you know how to find it. I'm bad with searches.
Re: Find dates
Board: Letterboxing Help Desk
Reply to: #973108 by InveterateLearner
Mar 21, 2019 10:22pm
Thread Board
Yes. If you are in Record Find, hover your mouse over the right side of the date and there are up/down arrows or you can manually change the date. I just did it with an LTC.
Mar 21, 2019 10:51pm
Thread Board
I hate to blow your theory but I tested my log book again.

Actually, I've been testing it switching around in your logbook (which is impressively large), and I think my theory was close, with a slight modification...

Web-theory 101 tells us that there are actually 2 phases of the page "loading"... the time between when you Click and the backend is done processing the request, and the time between when the backend (having finished processing) starts sending the page to your browser and when it finishes sending to your browser. The "Go" button is visible during the second half. Here's how you can tell...

Go to your "Finds" page. Once it's loaded and no Go (this actually can take 5 or 10 seconds with yours.. just be patient) (so we are starting from a clean slate), change the sorting (Oldest or Newest or Alphabetical... doesn;t much matter). When you do this, you will see some subtle indication that AQ is processing.. on Chrome, it is a small "Waiting for atlasquest.com" at the bottom of the screen and the cursor goes into the spinning "Working" mode, and the tab on your browser has a spinning circle indicating it is working. Other browsers have similar indicators... we all see them when it takes a long time to load a page, so you'll know it when you see it. After about 5-7 seconds, the logbook will appear to have changed (the visible boxes in the list will go to whatever sorting you chose), and the "Go" button will appear. This means we are in that second phase... BUT you SHOULD notice that the "Busy" indicators (spinning circle) are STILL GOING... and if you look at the scroll bar at the right of the page, you will notice it is still "growing". This means the page, even though it LOOKS like it is done, is STILL LOADING. Because your logbook has tens of thousands of lines in it, it physically takes another 5-10 seconds just for all that data to finish transferring to your browser and for your browser to render the screen. If you are really patient, though, the "Go" will disappear eventually, at the same time the spinning circles go away and the scroll bar stops moving. This means the page is FINALLY finished loading, and the code makes the "Go" disappear.

Ok, that was long-winded, even for me! But... it is 100% reproducible on several mega-big logbooks I tried it on (such as yours), and also explains why mere mortals such as myself with smaller logbooks never see the issue.
Mar 21, 2019 11:04pm
Thread Board
Zowie! You've done a lot of boxing.
Re: Find dates
Reply to: #973108 by InveterateLearner
Mar 22, 2019 3:16am
Thread Board
I just recorded a find on a box just listed in the past 24 hours.

Record Find allowed me to change the find date to 2018-09-09

Previously, we weren't able to record a find date earlier than the plant date.

(I highlighted the date in the box and over-wrote it to the date I wanted.)
Re: Postal Mystery #419 is now open
Board: Postals
Reply to: #972715 by IrishRef
Mar 22, 2019 4:20am
Thread Board
Sorry for the missed clue yesterday.

Clue 7 = Janus
Reply to: #973114 by wassamatta u
Mar 22, 2019 4:25am
Thread Board
OK, tested and everything that you stated was true the first time I tried it. So, I tried it again, changed from a search for my newest finds to my oldest and guess what...it is now two minutes later and the spinning circle is gone, the Go is gone and the page is just sitting there, but nothing has changed. (I have two monitors so I can watch what is happening and type the experience at the same time.) So, I hit refresh, the Go appeared again, the spinning circle appeared again and....the word Oldest changed back to Newest. Once more, I changed the Newest to Oldest and this time it brought up my request in about 5 seconds.

This experience may have also proved a point that a lot of us have felt since these changes have taken place. It can now take up to 20 seconds to load my logbook whereas (don't you love that word!) before the changes, it may have taken 2 or 3 seconds and if I needed to search for a listing that wasn't in my most recent 100 finds, I knew my logbook well enough to guesstimate where it was and click on a page that was close to the correct page. Maybe till I actually found what I was looking for, it took 20 seconds but now, it can almost ALWAYS take that long.

I took a look at the finders Wall of Fame and the top find counts are growing and growing and growing. My feeling is that the changes that were made, might benefit those who have lower find counts but those boxers may also be the ones who would have had the least difficulty working with the previous version of the logbook because they had fewer pages in it to look at. Those of us with higher find counts seem to be the ones who are having the most difficulty with the new process.

Most likely, nothing will take us back to the way it was and I don't claim to begin to understand Ryan's explanation that the logbook is now a true logbook vs whatever it was before, but it would be nice if some of the things that were available previously could be adapted to this new format. I felt the old version ran pretty smoothly for me and this one just doesn't. Once again, I am really happy that I have maintained a spreadsheet since I started boxing so that I can sort or filter to my heart's content but it would be nicer to not have to have two separate screens open when I wanted to take a quick look for something.
Re: How is that Power Plant Challenge going?
Reply to: #972894 by BinoBoxer
Mar 22, 2019 5:00am
Thread Board
BinoBoxer, I planted my new series yesterday, so I met the challenge! Which reminds me...we should plant another box together on our trip!
Newly listed boxes
Mar 22, 2019 6:19am
Thread Board
Where is the Widget for newly listed traditional boxes? It used to be a Widget. Is it no longer? If so is there anything that replaced it?
Reply to: #972888 by RDHG
Mar 22, 2019 7:08am
Thread Board
I've planted 14 permanent plants since Nov 1. They are all in Austin and parks to the west in the Central Texas Hill Country, which is currently ablaze with one of the best bluebonnet shows in the last decade. Stunning! There's lots of activity happening out here - hope folks can come out and take advantage of a whole bunch of new boxes in this area!

I will likely plant about 2 dozen more before May 1. I doubt I will get to 50, but that's OK... I'd rather have a patch than pathtag anyway! :)

Thanks to the organizers for setting up this challenge!
Re: Newly listed boxes
Reply to: #973120 by Sagacorn
Mar 22, 2019 7:32am
Thread Board
Where is the Widget for newly listed traditional boxes?

On the toolbar near the top of this page click on My Page. In the Upper Right in grey pick Add Widget. From the list choose Newest Traditional.
Re: Unlisted boxes in logbook
Board: State: Connecticut
Reply to: #973098 by burning feet
Mar 22, 2019 7:37am
Thread Board
All this talk about where to log finds almost makes me glad I’m not boxing anymore........almost:)
Reply to: #973123 by Rubaduc
Mar 22, 2019 7:44am
Thread Board
I don’t think the logging is the issue—it’s finding the logs later!
Re: Eevil Boxes
Reply to: #973110 by airstream dreams
Mar 22, 2019 9:43am
Thread Board
There is one that I still think about from time to time. I thought I had it figured out but when I searched it was not there. It's never been found, no attempts.

Which one was that...? The puzzles are often 'eevil' enough, but often the solutions only lead to more frustrations... and work... which sometimes make the puzzle look easy.
Reply to: #973118 by Janila
Mar 22, 2019 10:09am
Thread Board
Interesting... I think we are seeing two separate (but I believe related) issues there. I took a look at the source code and did verify that the "Go" button is showing on "submit" and hidden on "page loaded", but the additional issue you are seeing with "no effect on the pulldown" will take some additional investigation. Thanks for your patience! I think once Ryan is back from being Petrafied, maybe we can look at some performance issues on these huge pages.
New event listed for May
Board: State: Virginia
Mar 22, 2019 10:25am
Thread Board
Calling all Virginia boxers! Come enjoy an event in a scenic part of the state you've probably never boxed in before. It will be an overnight camping event, since the event location is in the abject middle of nowhere. The park has camping and cabins.

http://www.dcr.virginia.gov/state-parks/fairy-stone#general_information

The event is the weekend of May 19th.
New event listed for May
Board: State: North Carolina
Mar 22, 2019 10:25am
Board
Calling all North Carolina boxers! Come enjoy an event in a scenic part of Virginia that you've probably never boxed in before. It will be an overnight camping event, since the event location is in the abject middle of nowhere. The park has camping and cabins.

New event listed for May
Board: State: West Virginia
Mar 22, 2019 10:27am
Board
Calling all West Virginia boxers! Come enjoy an event in a scenic part of Virginia that you've probably never boxed in before. It will be an overnight camping event, since the event location is in the abject middle of nowhere. The park has camping and cabins.

Re: New event listed for May
Board: State: Virginia
Reply to: #973127 by PiggyJaunt
Mar 22, 2019 11:10am
Thread Board
Fairy Stone Park !!!! One of my favorite places, Thank you so much for hosting an event here. It's going to be awesome!!!!
Re: Newly listed boxes
Reply to: #973120 by Sagacorn
Mar 22, 2019 2:10pm
Thread Board
Where is the Widget for newly listed traditional boxes? It used to be a Widget. Is it no longer? If so is there anything that replaced it?

"Newest Letterboxes" appear automatically on the homepage. Why do you need a widget? I'm not being a smarty pants. I really want to know.

signed curious in Croton
Reply to: #973126 by wassamatta u
Mar 22, 2019 2:21pm
Thread Board
And before the so called "update" none of this was an issue. My logbook, also with a lot of finds was fine, great, loaded great, performed the way it should, with no weird behavior, no weird issues.

If it had just been left as it was none of this would be happening.
The Tall Ships have arrived in the Bay Area
Board: State: California
Mar 22, 2019 3:02pm
Thread Board
There are currently two tall ships anchored in Redwood City. They should be here until April 9th if you want to come and take a gander.

They will then be in Oakland April 11th through April 23 before moving on to Eureka and other points North.

https://www.historicalseaport.org/
Re: The Tall Ships have arrived in the Bay Area
Board: State: California
Reply to: #973133 by Nature Hikers
Mar 22, 2019 3:42pm
Thread Board
I always love seeing the Hawaiian Chieftain and Lady Washington! Very cool!
Reply to: #973124 by Kit Kat 61
Mar 22, 2019 4:13pm
Thread Board
I don’t think the logging is the issue—it’s finding the logs later!

And the former gratification we had of seeing all our finds integrated together. ALL our finds.
Re: logbook
Reply to: #973096 by burning feet
Mar 22, 2019 4:29pm
Thread Board
It's taking forever to load because as opposed to several pages the way it was before the so called "update", all of your traditional finds are are one page. So if you have a lot of finds the very long page goes on FOREVER.

And depending on the browser you use it may take longer than other browsers.

As Sheba said, your unlisted finds are on another page in the drop down menu.
Reply to: #973136 by MissMoon
Mar 22, 2019 4:48pm
Thread Board
It's taking forever to load because as opposed to several pages the way it was before the so called "update", all of your traditional finds are are one page.

I'm not having a big problem with that, other than maybe a one-second pause, but I can see you have about twice as many finds logged as I do, so that probably explains it.

I will pick one point though from that sentence: All of your traditional finds are NOT on one page. They are on two pages, one for AQ boxes and one for non-AQ boxes. I do like having more boxes on one page as opposed to 20 or 30 pages. But I'd rather have an integrated logbook with multiple pages. Instead of the current two pages and the former 30 pages or whatever, maybe something in the middle? Like 1000 boxes per page?
Reply to: #973137 by Trailhead Tessie
Mar 22, 2019 5:06pm
Thread Board
I will pick one point though from that sentence: All of your traditional finds are NOT on one page. They are on two pages, one for AQ boxes and one for non-AQ boxes.

I meant AQ traditional finds. Didn't specify. Yes, AQ are on one very long page and non AQ (unlisted) are on another.

But I'd rather have an integrated logbook with multiple pages.

That is true, with regard to the number of boxes on each page. Have pages but more boxes on one page than in the old logbook.
Reply to: #973132 by MissMoon
Mar 22, 2019 5:17pm
Thread Board
If it had just been left as it was none of this would be happening.

If GT left things alone, we wouldn't have such a great web site.

However, there have been a LOT of complaints with this latest update.
Reply to: #973121 by Origami Hen
Mar 22, 2019 5:18pm
Thread Board
I've planted 14 permanent plants since Nov 1.

Are they all "snow friendly"?

I had to do that with some recent comments in another thread.