Read Messages

Re: Do Trail Names Go Away?
Board: Letterboxing Help Desk
Reply to: #972916 by DarkZen and Evil Cow Pie
Mar 19, 2019 1:43pm
Thread Board
Well, darn, there goes my chance at getting ‘Wassamatta U’. ☹️

Trust me, it's overrated.

And I find it ironic that where I work, the HR department DREAMS of me being "inactive" for a few years.
Re: Bonus boxes
Reply to: #972929 by Elle
Mar 19, 2019 1:44pm
Thread Board
I don't know how to list them, but I've had problems finding them to log also. I've always had to write the planter and ask them for the name.
Re: Blue stuff?
Board: Stamp Carving and Mounting
Reply to: #972851 by Bumble
Mar 19, 2019 1:46pm
Thread Board
There is a blue material that is pretty common in parts of Europe called Factis and a number of carvers I've seen with pristine carves seem to carve with it

So since we seem to have come to the conclusion that this ISN'T the Blue Crumbly stuff, is it safe to say that, as the old saying goes...
"Factis stronger than friction" ?
Re: How is that Power Plant Challenge going?
Board: Letterbox Chatter
Reply to: #972888 by RDHG
Mar 19, 2019 1:58pm
Thread Board
I'm sitting with only 24 of the boxes planted, and I am aiming for the 50. I have several carved and logbooks ready to go, it's now just getting out and hiding them!
Re: My Subject Not Showing Up
Reply to: #972887 by Oberon_Kenobi
Mar 19, 2019 1:59pm
Thread Board
Even the new topic "Hat Day" did not show up; I noticed it in the list of topics. What changed?

"Letterbox Chatter" is not marked as a "Favorite Board" for your account, so it doesn't show up in your "Favorite Board" list (I looked, it isn't).

At some recent point, you must have accidentally taken it off your favorites list. Simply click on the "Heart" icon with the "+" in it, at the bottom of a post, to add the board to your favorites.
Reply to: #972934 by AdventurousAcorn
Thread Board
And I get the fun of finding yours!

I’m at 41 planted, and heading out tomorrow to plant more.
Re: Unlisted boxes in logbook
Board: State: Connecticut
Reply to: #972874 by burning feet
Thread Board
they come up in alphabetical order not newest found

There is a slot on the advanced search page for choosing how to sort the letterboxes--including newest found.
Reply to: #972921 by RIclimber
Mar 19, 2019 2:00pm
Thread Board
I have 53 that are permanent since Dec 1. There are a few still out from the event because they got caught in a few snow storms after the event :)

If it warms up soon... I SO HOPE... I plan on getting about a dozen more to ground by the end date of the challenge...

Of course - about 100 or so temp ones for the event at the end of the month :) Busy, busy, busy
Re: Blue stuff?
Board: Stamp Carving and Mounting
Reply to: #972924 by Kirbert
Mar 19, 2019 2:02pm
Thread Board
I haven't seen it anywhere, but I'd be willing to buy a slab for import and take one for the team...
Re: How is that Power Plant Challenge going? -- Rocklun
Reply to: #972902 by RDHG
Mar 19, 2019 2:06pm
Thread Board
I have heard of snow friendly boxes but do not know what makes them snow friendly.

It means they can still be found even if there is deep snow on the ground. So instead of at the bottom of a tree on the ground, the box would perhaps be hanging from a branch on the tree. Or instead of behind a log on the ground the box would be up on a "wall" of boulders in a niche protected from direct snow that would bury it.
Mar 19, 2019 2:10pm
Thread Board
Undoubtedly, the planters got confused. A Bonus Box should not be listed as a "Mystery Box" (glossary definitions), but be dependent on a parent box, and it shows the little present icon. After you log in the parent box, the bonus box listing should show up.

I have the name/AQ# of my bonus boxes either in its logbook, or on the parent box clue.
Re: Guardrail box
Board: Traditional Letterboxes
Reply to: #972920 by fleetwood7
Mar 19, 2019 2:10pm
Thread Board
altoid box with magnets are the best.

Metal will eventually rust shut if exposed to enough moisture in the air.
Re: Guardrail box
Board: Traditional Letterboxes
Reply to: #972856 by Oberon_Kenobi
Mar 19, 2019 2:13pm
Thread Board
I'm considering hiding a letterbox in a guardrail. Any suggestions for a container?

Most of the guardrail boxes I have found have been in regular lock n lock containers. Works fine if it's the type of guardrail where you can stick the container inside. No magnet required.
Reply to: #972932 by Topcollector
Mar 19, 2019 2:13pm
Thread Board
I've always had to write the planter and ask them for the name.

In both cases I did write the planter but received no response.
Re: Hat Day!
Reply to: #972875 by Kirbert
Mar 19, 2019 2:39pm
Thread Board
how do we log boxes using Hat Day?
Reply to: #972931 by wassamatta u
Mar 19, 2019 3:16pm
Thread Board
And I find it ironic that where I work, the HR department DREAMS of me being "inactive" for a few years.

I think we just found next years Halloween costume. You could go as a sleeper cell!
Mar 19, 2019 3:22pm
Thread Board
I list bonus boxes as traditional boxes. When adding a new letterbox, there are multiple pages to creating the listing. The last page is Restrictions. On that page, there is a field called Dependency. In the Dependency field, you can add the box number of the original box. When you do that, then the finder will not even be able to see the bonus box listing until after they have found and logged the original letterbox.

I have also seen bonus boxes listed as other types, but I like traditional because it is an added treat for the finder if they locate both the original and bonus box.
Reply to: #972948 by RDHG
Mar 19, 2019 3:27pm
Thread Board
For some reason both these bonus boxes were not listed as a dependency on another box. Both were listed as a separate mystery box. Contacted owner in both cases with no response. Just figured out today what the correct box numbers were!
Reply to: #972909 by Trailhead Tessie
Mar 19, 2019 3:37pm
Thread Board
(there does not appear to be an option to search only the boxes I've found).

There is a spot on the advanced search page labeled Finder. Put your trailname in there.
Re: Question on Unlisted Boxes
Reply to: #972872 by Eidolon
Mar 19, 2019 3:37pm
Thread Board
I guess I have another question . . . why?

Seems to me the more desirable way to go about it would be to have all ones boxes (listed and unlisted) be in one online logbook.

hx6
Reply to: #972922 by Super Hedge Hoggie
Mar 19, 2019 3:41pm
Thread Board
I’ve planted 19 across four states since the challenge began. I have a few sets and a bunch of individuals just looking for the right spot. Since I’m currently traveling along the coast, I’ll get a bunch more of my Lighthouses of....series planted as well.

Wish I could make Geekfest, me and the dawgs used to tromp through Ulmstead on a regular basis back when I lived in Cary, way before I boxed.

Plant on fellow boxers, I’ll get to yours eventually!
Reply to: #972949 by Elle
Mar 19, 2019 3:44pm
Thread Board
For some reason both these bonus boxes were not listed as a dependency on another box. Both were listed as a separate mystery box. Contacted owner in both cases with no response. Just figured out today what the correct box numbers were!

Dependency boxes were not always an option on AQ so if they are older, that may be the reason.

Also if you list it as a 'mystery' then people can see it in a search so they know you have some sort of box that exists but no idea where. If it is a 'dependency' it is only searchable if you have found the correct box so it can easily clue you in that you missed it. Some folks are of the opinion you either noticed the clues when at the correct box or you didn't and don't want to reduce the mystery aspect of the bonus box.
Re: Question on Unlisted Boxes
Reply to: #972951 by Hart x6
Mar 19, 2019 3:44pm
Thread Board
I guess I have another question . . . why?

I think I recall Ryan saying that having the unlisted finds mixed in caused a slow computer operation which was something he was trying to fix. I don't have enough listings yet for slow processing to bother me.
Reply to: #972949 by Elle
Mar 19, 2019 3:48pm
Thread Board
Hmm. Is the owner still active?
Reply to: #972875 by Kirbert
Mar 19, 2019 3:48pm
Thread Board
I don't even remember the last time I saw a hat day!

While the turtle's away, the moose will play!
Reply to: #972899 by RDHG
Mar 19, 2019 4:00pm
Thread Board
My youngest was 11 when we started boxing. She chose Little Tumbler as her trail name. Years go by and even though she's not as active, she's also not as little. Her Girl Scout camp name was Flipper, which was taken here. She decided she could still be Flipper, but just changed her name on AQ to The Real Flipper!
Reply to: #972946 by PeaceLovePiano and Mom
Mar 19, 2019 4:50pm
Thread Board
“To record a find on an unlisted box, use the Record Find link under the Letterboxes menubar option. Type in the name of the box. The first section will show matches on boxes that are listed on Atlas Quest. If the box isn't there, scroll down past it for a list of matches on boxes that are not listed on Atlas Quest. If you see the box, click it. If not, create a new entry. Premium members will always be able to add finds on unlisted boxes. If you aren't a premium member, the option won't be there—except right now when this theme is up!”
Reply to: #972950 by Wronghat
Mar 19, 2019 5:03pm
Thread Board
I never even saw that section before, and I've hunted multiple times for something that said "show only my finds." I was looking under the section that has "hide this" and "show only that." At any rate, when I do a search of boxes I've found within a 10 mile radius of Shelton, CT, I now "only" get 233 boxes to sift through, which doesn't include the LbNA boxes.
Reply to: #972959 by Trailhead Tessie
Mar 19, 2019 5:54pm
Thread Board
It would really just be so much easier if there were check marks again. We had them before, I want them back.

I know CT is a bit unique in the vast number of boxes we have nearby listed on AQ, PLUS the state ones PLUS so many many boxes on LbNA, and this is a terrible problem to have, but STILL, it's not easy to figure out what boxes I have and what I want to look for!
I was in FL recently and there I found there are more boxes within a mile of where I live in CT then there are in three towns around where I was staying in FL. I just want the check marks back.
Reply to: #972960 by DevilinDog
Mar 19, 2019 6:02pm
Thread Board
I just want the check marks back.

They are still there--try doing a search of your hometown and you'll see them on the results page.