A Letterboxing Community

Search

Read Messages

Re: Blue stuff?
Board: Stamp Carving and Mounting
Reply to: #972834 by Super Hedge Hoggie
Mar 18, 2019 10:44am
Thread Board
Yea, what Hedge Hoggie said ... cheaper ... both in price and in quality. I did a couple carves on it, and it was crumbly ... never again.
Re: Make "Your Tags" Visible (again)
Board: Suggestion Box
Reply to: #972829 by Janila
Mar 18, 2019 10:46am
Thread Board
I am aware of the advanced search function, however it used to show itself automatically no matter if you were viewing under someone else's profile or a list by location.
It's more steps to get to it rifling through by different avenues.
Sometimes the old way is still a good way.
Re: Postal Mystery #419 is now open
Board: Postals
Reply to: #972715 by IrishRef
Mar 18, 2019 10:48am
Thread Board
Pleased to announce that one participant has successfully named the theme of the stamp.

Clue 4 = Loneliest
Re: Anyone out there?
Board: State: Michigan
Reply to: #972835 by Dawnkey
Mar 18, 2019 11:03am
Thread Board
I just signed up for the Saugatuck event. Disney vs. serial killers? It's a no-brainer.

But you've never participated in an event hosted by FamilyOf6... You definitely need your brain for it.
Re: Lost Clue -- Help?
Board: Letterboxing Help Desk
Reply to: #972808 by MissMoon
Mar 18, 2019 11:55am
Thread Board
My photo originally loaded sideways but that often happens on my computer also.

That's interesting. I never had it happen n the laptop. Maybe the file was just never too large.

AQ often times out when I am adding a message or a clue

Yeah, they can time out on the laptop also.

Just open it in any photo editor and resave it. Dunno why, but that removes the sideways-turning formatting (technical term. Ahem.) You don't even have to change anything (unless the file is too large.) It will open rightside up in the editor. Resave it anyway. PITA, but effective.

Wry Me
keeper of very tiny trivia.
Re: How do I remove a mistaken log in?
Reply to: #972815 by Ele
Mar 18, 2019 12:20pm
Thread Board
Thanks for the information. I do miss them.

As do we all.
Reply to: #972843 by Wry Me
Mar 18, 2019 12:22pm
Thread Board
Just open it in any photo editor and resave it. Dunno why, but that removes the sideways-turning formatting

Mine never load sideways on the laptop.
Reply to: #972826 by Angel Winks
Mar 18, 2019 1:08pm
Thread Board
I plan to go boxing whenever I can. I was hoping to plant some the next few weeks since I'm on break but still to much snow here. Maybe I will head south and find some cemetery boxes! Definitely going to the April event. Hoping not to have to make up to many snow days at the end of the year so I can still to the GLG event.
Reply to: #972800 by Ele
Mar 18, 2019 1:21pm
Thread Board
Green checks on boxes a person has found are now only on search pages--not the logbook.
Reply to: #972847 by Wronghat
Mar 18, 2019 1:34pm
Thread Board
When I do a search I always check "hide my finds" so I didn't see them there. I thought they were completely gone. Thanks!
Reply to: #972833 by DarkZen and Evil Cow Pie
Mar 18, 2019 1:54pm
Thread Board
The carving in your link certainly can't be the 'blue stuff' that we are all familiar with. The edges are too fine and pristine to have been carved from the crumbly, blue garbage we all know and hate, lol.
Re: Easier Quotes
Board: Suggestion Box
Reply to: #972838 by Kirbert
Mar 18, 2019 2:06pm
Thread Board
I think that might be a difference in the fact that that is a forum and this is a board. forums seem much more user friendly, where as boards seem to be a bit outdated and simpler in functions. I frequent a few forums, and they are much easier to follow for many reasons. One I use has a quote button you push so no selecting text (unless you want to cut some out) and has the option to quote multiple messages in a thread like you mentioned.

I'm thinking it would not be easy to switch from a board to a forum.
Reply to: #972849 by InkTap
Mar 18, 2019 2:55pm
Thread Board
There is a blue material that is pretty common in parts of Europe called Factis and a number of carvers I've seen with pristine carves seem to carve with it (I haven't tried it): https://www.gerstaecker.nl/FACTIS-Artist-s-Carving-Block-drukplaten.html
Re: Upcoming trip... seeking boxes & cool spots
Board: State: Ohio
Reply to: #972820 by Mama Dee
Mar 18, 2019 3:53pm
Thread Board
Well, I’d skip the Creation Museum and just head over to Spring Grove Cemetery and Arboretum in Cincinnati, a beautiful place with scores of boxes.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spring_Grove_Cemetery
Re: Removal of old unfound traditional plants
Board: State: South Carolina
Reply to: #972215 by Woody clowns
Mar 18, 2019 4:33pm
Thread Board
I just caught up on this conversation after not being on AQ for months. It's interesting to see how everyone is responding.

Red Cyclone said that boxing in SC is dying a slow death, partly because nobody is doing events anymore. My family was one of the ones who organized those for a long time, and it's a lot of work. We used to have great events at Paris Mountain which are even more work. I would certainly help and attend if at all possible, but it's just too much to do without a group of folks willing to step up and make it happen.

In the last couple years, my family has found it increasingly harder to box. My knees are really bad and I can't hike, let alone box. I hate it, and am heading for a replacement, but life gets in the way sometimes. One of the big concentrations of our boxes was planted for a gathering at Sumter National Forest near Abbeville, but the rangers closed the roads to vehicle traffic to let the roads recover. There's no possible way for me to get in and do maintenance without driving.

I miss my boxing friends. You know who you are! I wish we could see each other to visit, and I miss actively boxing with all of you in SC. It IS more and more uncommon here and I hate that. All of you have brought me some of my very best memories with friends outside and enjoying life.

GreyCrazy
Re: Old timers
Board: State: Ohio
Reply to: #972807 by Pioneer Spirit
Mar 18, 2019 4:42pm
Thread Board
Welcome back, Pioneer Spirit!

We are planning to hunt for some of your old boxes this summer. It's been too long since we've been in the middle of the state.
Reply to: #972845 by MissMoon
Mar 18, 2019 5:03pm
Thread Board
Mine always did, and I've used 3 different ones. None were Apples, though. Maybe that's it.
Guardrail box
Board: Traditional Letterboxes
Mar 18, 2019 5:30pm
Thread Board
I'm considering hiding a letterbox in a guardrail. Any suggestions for a container?
Reply to: #972826 by Angel Winks
Mar 18, 2019 5:53pm
Thread Board
I am trying to get back into boxing. I have been doing more ltc trackers than outdoor plants.
Re: Guardrail box
Reply to: #972856 by Oberon_Kenobi
Mar 18, 2019 5:59pm
Thread Board
I've used magnetized pouches to good effect in guardrails. They often can be tucked in so they are protected from liquids (heat is a different story but not typically an issue) and with the magnets taped inside the pouch (or on the outer wall with double layer tape) the box can stay put too. Color of duct tape allows for a match to rail a bit too.
Edit: I have used Altoid boxes with magnets glued inside as well but moisture can cause rusting even if protected in the rail.
Mar 18, 2019 6:12pm
Thread Board
I have used the metal boxes to hide a key under your car type container. Very strong magnet. Cover slides open, you can get a very small stamp and logbook in there. Won't be watertight though, depending on what type of weather/climate you've got.

Warrior Woman
loves hardware stores
Mar 18, 2019 6:13pm
Thread Board
I have done a couple of guardrail boxes using magnetic key-holder boxes, and they work great! I have found 2 sizes, in hardware type stores, etc. Of course, the size of the stamp and logbook are limited, but you dont have to worry about the heat or the rust problem. Besides its a fun challenge! The magnets are pretty strong and never come off.

bluesky
Reply to: #972849 by InkTap
Mar 18, 2019 6:15pm
Thread Board
I agree. The carver in question has a thriving Etsy business... over 3000 sales. Hard to believe she could could do that with cheap, crumbly crap.

For those interested:
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CassaStamps

DZ
Re: Unlisted boxes in logbook
Board: State: Connecticut
Reply to: #972822 by Wronghat
Mar 18, 2019 6:37pm
Thread Board
but I need them on other peoples logbooks
Mar 18, 2019 6:43pm
Thread Board
We have found many in the guardrails over the years and we have planted some in them. We have seen many options and have used a few of them ourselves. As some have said magnets can help hold them in place. None of our guardrail hides have got magnets. Most of ours are pouches that are tucked into some of the hiding in the rails. We have a couple of them in lock-n-lock type boxes and they are working just fine too. Picking the right location of the guardrail and the right place in the rail do seem to make a difference.
Reply to: #972853 by GreyCrazy
Mar 18, 2019 6:55pm
Thread Board
Hi Kim,

Welcome back!!! I know you put on some great events years ago, I was there. The first one I went to was the Crappie redo in 2011. And all those Paris Mountain events. I get it too. We're all getting older. Its getting more difficult to hike, let alone walk. My knees are popping and clicking all day and I'm taking pain medicine for it. I'm wondering how much longer do I have. Hopefully many more years. But you had the perfect idea for an event last year. Here's the quote.

ZoeMomma and I have an idea. What if we planned a Reunite-Rejuvenate event? We miss all of you, and we miss hanging around at gatherings visiting. But it’s hot, and we don’t really have time to plan a full-on gathering with lots of planted boxes.
Instead we’re thinking about a reunion gathering where we can visit and enjoy our friends. Everyone brings one box—. Anything that has been sitting around for awhile. A box, a retired postal, a lost hitchhiker, anything that needs a new life. Then everyone chooses or randomly draws one to take home and do something with. We all get the stamps, the chance to visit, and some artwork gets a new start.

This is PERFECT. What happened? It doesn't always have to be a mega-event with hundreds of boxes and weeks of planning. The last event in SC was the remembrance of Lou when she died. Only 1 box for the event, but just to sit around and remember her and tell stories for a few hours. There was around 10 of us there and I drove the 125 miles to be there. So glad I did.

I really hope you'll do something like you thought of last year. It would almost be like a family reunion. :)

Jason
Reply to: #972864 by THE RED CYCLONE
Mar 18, 2019 7:18pm
Thread Board
I hadn't thought about it since because I don't think we really got a lot of response? It's possible we did and I just don't remember. It's been a long and difficult year.

When I get caught up this week, I'll try again and post under a different thread so it doesn't get lost. We'll see if maybe we can make something fun happen, and maybe get some volunteers to help too. (Hint Hint Red Cyclone LOL)

Greycrazy
Reply to: #972865 by GreyCrazy
Mar 18, 2019 7:31pm
Thread Board
Being about 100 miles away it would be kind of hard to help but I would do whatever it takes. Count me in.
Re: Unlisted boxes in logbook
Board: State: Connecticut
Reply to: #972862 by burning feet
Mar 18, 2019 7:35pm
Thread Board
So do an advanced search. There is a place for putting in the name of finder. All the boxes found by that person will appear if the logbook isn't locked.
Reply to: #972866 by THE RED CYCLONE
Mar 18, 2019 7:35pm
Thread Board
Done! We'll figure out something. There are many ways people who are farther away can help plan an event. :-)

Greycrazy