A Letterboxing Community

Search

Read Messages

Re: St Patrick music on SM radio
Board: Letterbox Chatter
Reply to: #972789 by IrishRef
Mar 17, 2019 4:08pm
Thread Board
Been enjoying it off and on all weekend! Love it!
Re: Old timers
Board: State: Ohio
Reply to: #972807 by Pioneer Spirit
Mar 17, 2019 4:38pm
Thread Board
We only started boxing in 2011. We got away from the game, though. Until last month, I had not logged a find since 2016 and 2014 before that. It is nice that the game is always being played and that we can come back to it when the time is right.
Re: Unlisted boxes in logbook
Board: State: Connecticut
Reply to: #972790 by DevilinDog
Mar 17, 2019 4:57pm
Thread Board
i dont have them either and it sucks. maybe we should email ryan
Mar 17, 2019 5:24pm
Thread Board
Yep we're still here just not as active?!!! Do events mostly as a group but get out once in awhile if new boxes are planted close by!! We set SOHT aside last year to do the Buckeye event over @ Buck Creek in September with Gypsyladybug & Cookie Cutter & this year it's a wedding! maybe next year??
Re: How do I remove a mistaken log in?
Board: Letterboxing Help Desk
Reply to: #972800 by Elle
Mar 17, 2019 5:39pm
Thread Board
No. They're gone for everyone.
Re: How do I remove a mistaken log in?
Reply to: #972814 by Topcollector
Mar 17, 2019 5:46pm
Thread Board
They're gone for everyone

Thanks for the information. I do miss them.
Upcoming trip...seeking boxes
Board: State: Kentucky
Mar 17, 2019 5:48pm
Thread Board
Are there any "Do not Miss" boxes that I should be aware of near central Kentucky (anywhere between Bowling Green & Florence)?
Coming to see Creation Museum & Ark in a little over a week & hope to do a bit of boxing along the way.
I know I will only have part of 1 day, so I would like to maximize my efforts. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Mama Dee
Mar 17, 2019 5:51pm
Thread Board
I’m still here! Have already found a few boxes in 2019.
Mar 17, 2019 5:52pm
Thread Board
Hi! I met you many years ago before I had my now 11-year-old son. When we met I had a "team stamp" named Angel Baby. Life has brought many changes and I have begun again as BluJax. My son and I picked letterboxing back up a few years ago. We have even carved some of our own that we need to plant this year.
Upcoming trip... seeking boxes & cool spots
Board: State: Indiana
Mar 17, 2019 5:54pm
Board
Any off the beaten path interesting spots (odd, interesting, unique etc...)
In southeastern Indiana?
Also looking for "do not miss" boxes.

Will be visiting northern Kentucky (Creation museum) & will only have a day of rambling. We love to go junking/antiquing, photography, fun interesting spots for young teens etc...
Any suggestions are appreciated!

Mama Dee
Upcoming trip... seeking boxes & cool spots
Mar 17, 2019 5:57pm
Thread Board
Coming to Creation museum in a little over a week. Will only have a day of rambling & boxing. Need to maximize time.
Looking for unique spots, off the beaten path, love junking/antiquing & photography. Traveling with family.
Any "do not miss" boxes or location suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Mama Dee
Re: St Patrick music on SM radio
Reply to: #972789 by IrishRef
Mar 17, 2019 6:02pm
Thread Board
Thanks for the head’s up!
Re: Unlisted boxes in logbook
Board: State: Connecticut
Reply to: #972790 by DevilinDog
Mar 17, 2019 6:44pm
Thread Board
I get the green checks on search pages. Do a search and put yourself as planter and see if they show.
Re: Shortest lived letterbox ever!
Reply to: #972806 by Warrior Woman
Mar 17, 2019 6:50pm
Thread Board
That could have been him. He was a young guy with an orange backpack.
Mar 18, 2019 4:02am
Thread Board
Team Mad Dawg and I are still around. We manage to get out together every few months.

This board is not nearly as active as it used to be!

Good to "see" you back

Mama Stork
Re: Upcoming trip...seeking boxes
Board: State: Kentucky
Reply to: #972816 by Mama Dee
Mar 18, 2019 4:08am
Thread Board
If you are willing to go a bit more north, Spring Grove Cemetery in Cincinnati--gorgeous, historical cemetery and arboretum, dozens (hundreds??) of letterboxes by amazing carvers.... I would recommend a tour if you have time, or at least pick up an informational brochure from the front office.
Anyone out there?
Board: State: Michigan
Mar 18, 2019 4:38am
Thread Board
Hi there, Michigan Letterboxing Community,

Just checking in...anyone hoping to do some Michigan letterboxing this summer? I'm just curious who our active letterboxers are.

I'll start: LaLaBirds and I plan to get BaliWho's latest plants in Charlotte in a couple of weeks. We are hoping for temperatures in the 50s by that point. In the meantime, I've been sneaking out for a moment here and there trying to replant letterboxes that I've recarved. And, I'll be heading to Familyof6's April event in Saugatuck!

Okay...looking forward to hearing from whomever is on this board!
Re: Anyone out there?
Reply to: #972826 by Angel Winks
Mar 18, 2019 5:09am
Thread Board
TrailMark and are haven’t had much opportunity for boxing since Live and Breathe in Texas (I’m not even sure if I finished recording finds from there). We are hoping to do some boxing on the west side of the state later this week. Planning to attend April event but I’m not sure that I will be prepared for whatever Andrew is cooking up!
Re: Make "Your Tags" Visible (again)
Board: Suggestion Box
Reply to: #972828 by Arf!
Mar 18, 2019 5:31am
Board
Is there a way to make the colored "Your Tags" visible again?

I miss them also but you can find them by doing an advanced search. Put Rocklun's name in the owner or planter field near the bottom of the search page and then choose the color tags that you want to search for. Then click on "and" so it chooses any of her boxes which have a particular color or colors of tags.

If you are just looking for tags of a particular color, do the same thing but don't put a name in the owner/planter boxes.

You can then save those searches so you don't have to repeat them.
Mar 18, 2019 6:26am
Thread Board
There's a letterboxing event in Ohio at the end of April that I've been looking at, I signed up for that before Fo6's, and they are both equivalent distances from me, so I still don't know which one to go to.

Another event in Ohio in June, that I try not to miss. it's every other year.
There's also a set of stamps (300 or so, YIKES) that have been promised to me, I will use them to host an event. I'm waiting to get the stamps to plan.
But that will most likely be later in the summer or early fall.
New postal
Board: Postals
Mar 18, 2019 7:05am
Board
New postal added today
Tracker #10186
Mar 18, 2019 7:11am
Thread Board
We have been looking for warm weather we have a few spots around us we want to check out to hide some new stamps I carved over the winter...we also want to get some we planeted a while back and replant them someplace different.
We signed up for both events in april but we have leaned more towards the one here in michigan.... Although we are not sure we fully understand it we are really looking forward to it.
Someone said that saginaw had quite a bit thats one we would like to go find soon...
is there a lot in Charlotte???
Blue stuff?
Board: Stamp Carving and Mounting
Mar 18, 2019 9:12am
Thread Board
On Instagram, I follow a carver who uses blue carving medium and seems to get pretty good detail.

Does anyone know what this stuff is and has anyone ever used it?

https://s3.amazonaws.com/gs-geo-images/7fa436b2-aab0-4d34-b303-bd2586dc15f6.png
Re: Blue stuff?
Reply to: #972833 by DarkZen and Evil Cow Pie
Mar 18, 2019 9:28am
Thread Board
Blue stuff is less expensive than pink stuff - but also a little softer/more crumbly. Great for shorter term stamps, but probably not the best bet for planting in the wild (in my opinion).

https://www.dickblick.com/products/speedball-speedy-cut-easy-blocks/
Mar 18, 2019 9:44am
Thread Board
I'm active. I enjoy letterboxing year round. Got out this weekend to find a couple in Plymouth, MI.

Looking forward to a trip with 4Eyes at the end of the month to celebrate our respective AQ-versaries (my 11th and her 9th.) This is the 4th time we'll be doing that and it's always a lot of fun. Think we're going to try to plant a couple this time.

There's a letterboxing event in Ohio at the end of April that I've been looking at, I signed up for that before Fo6's, and they are both equivalent distances from me, so I still don't know which one to go to.

I just signed up for the Saugatuck event. Disney vs. serial killers? It's a no-brainer.

And I'm also looking forward to an epic letterboxing jaunt over the Memorial Day weekend with three fellow boxing fanatics. You know who you are. :)
Easier Quotes
Board: Suggestion Box
Mar 18, 2019 10:41am
Thread Board
On another forum I partake of, they have a vastly superior quote scheme. When you wish to reply to a posting or a particular part of a posting, you just select that text. As soon as some text is selected, up pops a "quote" tag adjacent to the selection. Click on that, and it automagically opens a new reply with the quote already in it, complete with the citation.

What's more, if you want to respond to several comments, after you type your response to the first, you can simply go back and select another passage, hit "quote" again, and it appends that quote to the bottom of the reply you've already begun. And the subsequent quotes don't even have to be from the same original message, you can reply to different postings all in the same reply. The entire thread is still visible, you can scroll back and forth on it to choose passages to quote.

This system works so well that when I get back here on AQ I miss it. Having to cobble together a quote here feels archaic and inefficient by comparison.

The system I'm talking about is at jag-lovers.org:

https://forums.jag-lovers.com/

I dunno how well it'll work for non-members. I think it's viewable by the public, but I dunno if you can reply.
Re: Blue stuff?
Reply to: #972834 by Super Hedge Hoggie
Mar 18, 2019 10:44am
Thread Board
Yea, what Hedge Hoggie said ... cheaper ... both in price and in quality. I did a couple carves on it, and it was crumbly ... never again.
Re: Postal Mystery #419 is now open
Board: Postals
Reply to: #972715 by IrishRef
Mar 18, 2019 10:48am
Thread Board
Pleased to announce that one participant has successfully named the theme of the stamp.

Clue 4 = Loneliest
Reply to: #972835 by Dawnkey
Mar 18, 2019 11:03am
Thread Board
I just signed up for the Saugatuck event. Disney vs. serial killers? It's a no-brainer.

But you've never participated in an event hosted by FamilyOf6... You definitely need your brain for it.
Re: Lost Clue -- Help?
Reply to: #972808 by MissMoon
Mar 18, 2019 11:55am
Thread Board
My photo originally loaded sideways but that often happens on my computer also.

That's interesting. I never had it happen n the laptop. Maybe the file was just never too large.

AQ often times out when I am adding a message or a clue

Yeah, they can time out on the laptop also.

Just open it in any photo editor and resave it. Dunno why, but that removes the sideways-turning formatting (technical term. Ahem.) You don't even have to change anything (unless the file is too large.) It will open rightside up in the editor. Resave it anyway. PITA, but effective.

Wry Me
keeper of very tiny trivia.