Register · Login

A Letterboxing Community

Search

Read Messages

Postal Questions
Board: New Members' Board
Mar 14, 2019 8:54pm
Thread Board
I have never participated in a postal before and I'm trying to understand how they work. I read the faqs but still have some questions. Does each person that is part of the group carve a stamp and have a logbook to send out- like a light weight traditional box but it fits in an envelope? How does mailing work- does some send a list of who the next person is to send it to? I have seen comments to trim the back of the stamp to save weight, how thin is normal? What kind of logbook do you send with a postal to keep it under 1 ounce? If the answers are already posted somewhere else, please point me in the right direction. Thanks!
Re: Postal Questions
Reply to: #972709 by Sunflower Smiles
Mar 14, 2019 9:26pm
Thread Board
Does each person that is part of the group carve a stamp and have a logbook to send out- like a light weight traditional box but it fits in an envelope? How does mailing work- does some send a list of who the next person is to send it to?

It depends on the postal tracker. Some are postal rings, where everyone carves a stamp and sends it to the next person on the list, until each stamp gets back to who carved it. Others are singles; one person (usually the host) carves a stamp and sends it to the first person on the list, who sends it to the next person, etc., until it gets back to the host.

I have seen comments to trim the back of the stamp to save weight, how thin is normal? What kind of logbook do you send with a postal to keep it under 1 ounce?

Again, this depends on the type of postal. With the cost of postage going up most recent postals have been ones that will travel in a regular envelope. Most people will carve their stamp then use a gouge to carve material off of the back. I have used Gray-Z, a carving material that is 1/8" thick. This is thin enough (¼" or less) to go through the mail in a regular letter, as long as it is small enough to be automatically sorted in their machines.

The log book can be made out of a sheet of cardstock, or cut and stapled cardstock with the spine (hinge) on the left. I have done both. You do want to put your stamp in a small plastic bag then tape the bag inside your logbook (so that it doesn't shift).

If you're going to get into postal letterboxing you'll want to buy a postal scale so that you can make sure you stay under an ounce.
Re: How is everyone in Colorado
Board: Yakking It Up
Reply to: #972687 by Angel and Demon
Mar 14, 2019 9:29pm
Thread Board
I didn't go out at all yesterday and I'm planning to stay in today, too.

What?! You're not prepared to box in this weather? ;-)
Re: Mmmmmmm, Pi
Reply to: #972705 by DarkZen and Evil Cow Pie
Mar 14, 2019 9:31pm
Thread Board
This is pretty close...

So, why is it called Chess Pie?
Re: Gah!
Board: Letterbox Chatter
Reply to: #972696 by Angel and Demon
Mar 14, 2019 9:35pm
Thread Board
Cyclonic had a box a few miles from my house on a really popular bike trail. It was just a single box but on this trail, about a mile west of the box, a man on a bicycle was being robbed by three teens and he shot one robber dead and injured another. The bicyclist had a license to carry and was exonerated because it was ruled self defense.

Then, a few months later, a little east of the box, somebody dumped a body that had been murdered elsewhere. Fortunately, there has been no crime on the trail since then and it is just as popular as it was before the crimes.
Re: My kitty’s stamp
Reply to: #972693 by Cubby Bear Paw
Mar 14, 2019 10:05pm
Thread Board
"No amount of time can erase the memory of a good cat."

-- Leo Dworkin
Postal Mystery #419 is now open
Board: Postals
Mar 14, 2019 10:05pm
Thread Board
Another mystery postal has been posted. Check out the tracker at:

https://www.atlasquest.com/showinfo.php?trackerId=10183

For those who are new to mystery postals and for those who need a refresher the rules follow.

To get this postal you will have to guess the theme/name/subject of the stamp. Clues will be posted on the postal boards and on this tracker. I will try and post one per day. For each clue posted each person may make one guess prior to the next clue being posted.

Guesses should be sent to IrishRef via AQMail, not posted on the boards! Guesses will only be accepted from AQ members through AQMail.

Even if you have no clue take a guess anyway. Half the enjoyment is seeing the range of incorrect answers and how people connected clues for those guesses. You will only get a response from IR if you: A. Have the correct answer, B. Are very close or I need to clarify your guess, or C. Your guess peaks my fancy.

This one may be a little more challenging and is dedicated to my son. Will explain that one with the results. I anticipate that this will either come quickly around clue four or could be rather frustrating. In this one you still need to use all the clues, but the answers will then be used to come up with the real theme/topic. I will re-evaluate based on the responses through clue 8. If this isn't clicking a second round of clarifying clues will be given.

The first 10 members correctly guessing will be notified by AQMail. Tracker order will typically be determined by order correct answer receipt (Exception to this are international winners who will be at the end of the tracker). The correct answer with how each clue is related will be posted once the postal is full.

Good Luck!

Clues:
1. Primary colors
Reply to: #972696 by Angel and Demon
Mar 14, 2019 11:00pm
Thread Board
Yikes.
Mar 14, 2019 11:04pm
Thread Board
I'm so sorry your lost your friend and glad you have a memento.
Mar 15, 2019 2:08am
Thread Board
I am so sorry for your loss. My soul mates have always been cats.
Reply to: #972712 by Oberon_Kenobi
Mar 15, 2019 6:17am
Thread Board
So, why is it called Chess Pie

Nobody knows.
A Vampire Called
Board: Off Topic, Wildly
Mar 15, 2019 7:00am
Thread Board
A vampire called me on the phone and wanted me to come over. They said they needed my type. What should I do?
Re: A Vampire Called
Reply to: #972720 by Elle
Mar 15, 2019 7:12am
Thread Board
Make an appointment at noon in the garden. ;)
Mar 15, 2019 7:17am
Thread Board
So, so sorry to hear. We lost a kitten not too long ago, unexpectedly, to some malady. I know how heartbreaking it can be.

I’m glad you were able to retrieve the stamp - it’s nice to have that memory.

DZ
Re: Postal Questions
Reply to: #972709 by Sunflower Smiles
Mar 15, 2019 7:58am
Thread Board
Adding on to Oberon_Kenobi’s comments, those “under an ounce” postals are called micro-postals.

I have a digital kitchen scale that I use. 5 quarters weigh 1 ounce, if you ever want to check the accuracy of a scale.

If you don’t have a scale, your post office might have a self-serve scale that you can use.
====
I personally prefer the full size postal. With those, you can be more creative with your entire presentation. (You don’t have to worry about “it must be less than 1/4” thick, it must be uniform thickness, it must be < 1 ounce”.)

Those postals are mailed first class package rate, which include a tracking number. Since I have a paypal acct, I can print a mailing label at home, get a discount on postage costs, and by-pass the post office :)
Re: Happy Day to JampersandJ!
Board: State: California
Reply to: #972706 by brailleboxer
Mar 15, 2019 8:04am
Thread Board
Everyone, Thanks for all the celebratory wishes!

Duh, I just realized after all these years, that my Cake Day is Pi Day! So, I can have both cake and pie! Double Nom nom nom....

J(&J)
Reply to: #972719 by Quite Contrary
Mar 15, 2019 8:37am
Thread Board
I always heard it was the last explanation.
Re: Inventing a board game
Board: Games People Play
Reply to: #972647 by Petunia
Mar 15, 2019 9:42am
Thread Board
There is a new podcast for board game design. It is called Cardboard Addiction.
Reply to: #972713 by Janila
Mar 15, 2019 10:24am
Thread Board
Hopefully this is a one-off! It seems like a really nice park and when I planted, it was full of people with their kids and/or pets.
Reply to: #972705 by DarkZen and Evil Cow Pie
Mar 15, 2019 10:25am
Thread Board
Here's another recipe for Chess Pie that I shared on the Food For Thought board several years ago: Chess Pie
Mar 15, 2019 10:41am
Thread Board
Tell them "O"-my
Reply to: #972695 by Elle
Mar 15, 2019 10:50am
Thread Board
Wake up Ele, you've been in a pie coma.

All of these wonderfully named pies are making me hungry.
Pie swap meet.
Now, Beware the Ides of March
Reply to: #972695 by Elle
Mar 15, 2019 10:52am
Thread Board
Re: Mailing info: PSA
Board: LTC: Tips, Questions, and Stuff
Reply to: #972665 by DarkZen and Evil Cow Pie
Mar 15, 2019 11:14am
Thread Board
You are welcome DZ!
It is great mailing info!!
Yaateeh
:-)
Re: How is everyone in Colorado
Reply to: #972711 by Oberon_Kenobi
Mar 15, 2019 11:30am
Thread Board
Wait...how did you get a picture of me?!? ;)
Mar 15, 2019 11:53am
Thread Board
You could always offer him a stake dinner.
Reply to: #972734 by Oberon_Kenobi
Mar 15, 2019 12:16pm
Thread Board
Set the table with your best china and silverware.

If a vampire can't go out in the sun (not counting the recent spate of hunky vampires on TV) and the moon is reflecting sunlight, why can they be out at night in the moonlight?
Reply to: #972730 by Grrly Girl
Mar 15, 2019 12:40pm
Thread Board
Wake up Ele, you've been in a pie coma.

Oh but how sweet it was at least tell someone woke me up. Pass the pie please.
Re: Now, Beware the Ides of March
Reply to: #972731 by Grrly Girl
Mar 15, 2019 12:47pm
Thread Board
Now, Beware the Ides of March

Well shall we all go out and howl at the full moon?? Might be hard with all that pie in the sky.
Can I quote you on that?
Mar 15, 2019 2:12pm
Thread Board
So frequently there is a box quoting something someone else has said so that it can referred to in the response ... How does one do that?? I haven't managed to figure it out.