Reply to: #972683 by J Walkers
Mar 14, 2019 6:56am
Thread Board
Thank you kindly, J. 😁
Is this your car?
Board: Yakking It Up
Mar 14, 2019 7:06am
Board
Park in the area near gate 19 for Douglas State Forest on SW Main near the intersection with High Street.

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.0210029,-71.7953082,3a,60y,55.32h,66.58t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1syL5eKf-lF8CS9S2xwfmPFA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656
How is everyone in Colorado
Mar 14, 2019 7:52am
Thread Board
Hoping all in Colorado are at home, safe and warm, and out of the snow and cold. It looks like the airport was turned into a makeshift hotel as blankets were being passed out.
Re: How is everyone in Colorado
Reply to: #972686 by shutterbug2012
Mar 14, 2019 9:22am
Thread Board
Thanks for thinking of us! We did get a lot of snow and very high winds. I didn't go out at all yesterday and I'm planning to stay in today, too. Fortunately, things change quickly here and soon all of this will be gone.
Re: Visiting LA
Board: State: California
Reply to: #972669 by Amanda from Seattle
Mar 14, 2019 10:20am
Thread Board
Small town girl here :)

The office is in Gardena.
My hotel is in Hermosa Beach.

Also....I was considering trying to get tickets to Paleyfest. Any suggestions on attending? Parking?

Thanks so much.
Re: Light & Magnification
Board: Tools of the Trade
Reply to: #972585 by Dawgdok
Mar 14, 2019 11:47am
Thread Board
its a long story, but i have an extra metrication micoscope previously used for engaving that i will sell for $345 if anyone wants to buy it,, contact me at fleetwood7@comcast.net
Happy Cake Day Momskie!
Mar 14, 2019 2:09pm
Thread Board
10 years! Woohoo!
Happy Day to JampersandJ!
Mar 14, 2019 2:11pm
Thread Board
Happy dance! :D
Re: Needing prayers and warm fuzzies please.
Board: Prayer and Healing
Reply to: #972505 by Acorns4u
Mar 14, 2019 2:39pm
Thread Board
You have my prayers for your daughters' healing, and for your family as you are going through a difficult time. Xo
My kitty’s stamp
Board: Letterbox Chatter
Mar 14, 2019 5:44pm
Thread Board
So...I am just so grateful for this hobby and community. It has been a rough year and got rougher last week when I had to ask a family member to put my kitty down while I was away. My family member had taken the kitty to the vet and she was so sick that she was suffering terribly. So after 15-years of having my kitty, I said good-bye over Facetime.

I have been packing up kitty things and realized that all I have is poo in a litter box, her food, a few fluff toys and catnip as kitty stuff. There are a bunch of fuzzy pictures on my phone, but nothing of her. (No. I am not keeping her poo...) But then I remembered a stamp I made of her paw impression that has been hiding locally. I retired it and now have an awesome personal traveler, made by my kitty. Had it not been for letterboxing, I may actually have considered keeping her poo. (Or not...)

Thank you all so much for the fun. I love that I have something that I did not know would mean so much.
Re: Mmmmmmm, Pi
Reply to: #972681 by Elle
Mar 14, 2019 5:51pm
Thread Board
Upside down pineapple
Vanilla custard
White chocolate chiffon
etc.
Reply to: #972694 by Wise Wanderer
Mar 14, 2019 6:10pm
Thread Board
eXciting to look at
Yummy to eat
ZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzz..........🥧
Gah!
Mar 14, 2019 6:12pm
Thread Board
I planted a new letterbox series over the weekend and I just read that a dead body was found in the park where I planted. (It's being investigated as a homicide.)
Re: Gah!
Reply to: #972696 by Angel and Demon
Mar 14, 2019 7:00pm
Thread Board
Make it a Mystery Box, and offer a bonus stamp if the finder also solves the murder.
Re: Happy Cake Day Momskie!
Reply to: #972690 by kudichan
Mar 14, 2019 7:05pm
Thread Board
Thank you!!!! This day always sneaks up on me.
Mar 14, 2019 7:25pm
Thread Board
It is not the same, but I planted a series of six on a trail at a local park last week. A week later I went back with some folks, and the park is closed because they are redoing the baseball field -- for the next year!
Reply to: #972699 by RDHG
Mar 14, 2019 7:39pm
Thread Board
Oh no! Hope your boxes are safe. I'm sure mine are fine; it's more upsetting that the murder happened, and it's a little creepy to have just been there.
Re: My kitty’s stamp
Reply to: #972693 by Cubby Bear Paw
Mar 14, 2019 7:41pm
Thread Board
Aww. That is so sad and also sweetly sentimental. 🐱❤️ I am sorry for the loss of your dear kitty friend.
Reply to: #972700 by Angel and Demon
Mar 14, 2019 7:43pm
Thread Board
It is a lot creepy and understandably unnerving. ☹️
Reply to: #972679 by DarkZen and Evil Cow Pie
Mar 14, 2019 7:44pm
Thread Board
Orange-Buttermilk Chess Pie

By any chance, do you have a recipe for this?? Because, YUMMERS!!!!
Mar 14, 2019 7:54pm
Thread Board
you should pass the data on to mitzi phillips, the author of "the letterbox murders" its a great book and has actual letterbox at the scenes in the book
Reply to: #972703 by Wise Wanderer
Mar 14, 2019 8:23pm
Thread Board
Re: Happy Day to JampersandJ!
Reply to: #972691 by kudichan
Mar 14, 2019 8:30pm
Thread Board
Happy cake day ! Hope you had some yummy pie per your cake day tradition !
Mar 14, 2019 8:35pm
Thread Board
Yes! Happy cake day!
Mar 14, 2019 8:42pm
Thread Board
Happy, happy day to jampers!
Postal Questions
Board: New Members' Board
Mar 14, 2019 8:54pm
Thread Board
I have never participated in a postal before and I'm trying to understand how they work. I read the faqs but still have some questions. Does each person that is part of the group carve a stamp and have a logbook to send out- like a light weight traditional box but it fits in an envelope? How does mailing work- does some send a list of who the next person is to send it to? I have seen comments to trim the back of the stamp to save weight, how thin is normal? What kind of logbook do you send with a postal to keep it under 1 ounce? If the answers are already posted somewhere else, please point me in the right direction. Thanks!
Re: Postal Questions
Board: New Members' Board
Reply to: #972709 by Sunflower Smiles
Mar 14, 2019 9:26pm
Thread Board
Does each person that is part of the group carve a stamp and have a logbook to send out- like a light weight traditional box but it fits in an envelope? How does mailing work- does some send a list of who the next person is to send it to?

It depends on the postal tracker. Some are postal rings, where everyone carves a stamp and sends it to the next person on the list, until each stamp gets back to who carved it. Others are singles; one person (usually the host) carves a stamp and sends it to the first person on the list, who sends it to the next person, etc., until it gets back to the host.

I have seen comments to trim the back of the stamp to save weight, how thin is normal? What kind of logbook do you send with a postal to keep it under 1 ounce?

Again, this depends on the type of postal. With the cost of postage going up most recent postals have been ones that will travel in a regular envelope. Most people will carve their stamp then use a gouge to carve material off of the back. I have used Gray-Z, a carving material that is 1/8" thick. This is thin enough (¼" or less) to go through the mail in a regular letter, as long as it is small enough to be automatically sorted in their machines.

The log book can be made out of a sheet of cardstock, or cut and stapled cardstock with the spine (hinge) on the left. I have done both. You do want to put your stamp in a small plastic bag then tape the bag inside your logbook (so that it doesn't shift).

If you're going to get into postal letterboxing you'll want to buy a postal scale so that you can make sure you stay under an ounce.
Re: How is everyone in Colorado
Reply to: #972687 by Angel and Demon
Mar 14, 2019 9:29pm
Thread Board
I didn't go out at all yesterday and I'm planning to stay in today, too.

What?! You're not prepared to box in this weather? ;-)
Reply to: #972705 by DarkZen and Evil Cow Pie
Mar 14, 2019 9:31pm
Thread Board
This is pretty close...

So, why is it called Chess Pie?