Skip to Content
Register · Login
About Theme

A Letterboxing Community

Search

Read Messages

Re: Needing prayers and warm fuzzies please.
Board: Prayer and Healing
Reply to: #972505 by Acorns4u
Mar 13, 2019 3:05am
Thread Board
Sending prayers and good thoughts for your daughter!
Re: Inventing a board game
Board: Games People Play
Reply to: #972639 by Petunia
Mar 13, 2019 5:08am
Thread Board
Yep, I’d try Kickstarter.

https://www.kickstarter.com/discover/categories/games/tabletop%20games

Maybe contact one of those guys for advice.
Re: Clues for teaching
Board: GSA & BSA letterboxing
Reply to: #972625 by Dawgdok
Mar 13, 2019 6:04am
Thread Board
My old smartphone compass had a calibrate cycle it would go through when you first started it. You had to roll a ball around the compass points a few before it would work. Just realized my new one does not seem to do that and it does seem less accurate...
Reply to: #972639 by Petunia
Mar 13, 2019 6:18am
Thread Board
Please let us know when it launches.
Re: Happy Birthday Girl Scouts
Board: Scouts Honor
Reply to: #972602 by photopam
Mar 13, 2019 7:38am
Thread Board
Happy Birthday Girl Scouts from TN! If you're ever in Knoxville, stop by and visit our quaint Girl Scout Museum at Daisy's Place. Might find some boxes there. :)
Reply to: #972644 by Oberon_Kenobi
Mar 13, 2019 7:53am
Thread Board
March 26!

Back story: A year ago, my husband was working on a game idea (worker placement/delivery) & plateaued. Frustrated, he decided to take a break from that game & work on a different game idea. He teamed up with local gamer & designer David from Fisher Heaton Games (Intelle) and Gartenbau began to take shape. It's an abstract strategy, tile laying tableau builder. Our son - age 10 - plays it, though I believe Gartenbau will be marketed ages 12 & up.

It's not an engine-builder like Century Spice Road or Splendor but that 'weight of game play' Check it out on FB &/or Kickerstater on 3.26.19 and thank you for your interest!
Re: Light & Magnification
Board: Tools of the Trade
Reply to: #972585 by Dawgdok
Mar 13, 2019 11:14am
Thread Board
A long time ago I read a post about getting a pair of reading glasses that are of a strength such that objects are in focus really close to your face, and that's what I did. It's like wearing magnifying glasses.

For light, I get the best results with a regular desk lamp with the long neck that can be adjusted so the light comes from the side and back rather than overhead. That way I can see the shadows of where I've already cut. If you color your carving block before cutting that maybe doesn't matter, but I just carve the pink stuff and it can be hard to see what's been cut.
Re: stamps and felt pouches
Board: Letterbox Chatter
Reply to: #972634 by Mu
Mar 13, 2019 11:14am
Thread Board
Nah. The one that Holmes doesn't put first. :)

I actually think I know but am not sure enough. It *looks* so easy. lol

But nay.......it is not elementary

Did I ever tell you I planted that stamp you returned to me? I meant to.

https://www.atlasquest.com/boxes/clue/?boxId=282635
Reply to: #972649 by MissMoon
Mar 13, 2019 11:38am
Thread Board
Ah, that one. It's not from somewhere where I used to fiddle over the summers ;) Not sure if it's still there, though - one attempt report last year, and I haven't been able to return to check on it...

!!!!!! So cool that it's replanted! I'm glad that the rescued stamp was able to live again! !!!!!!
Mar 13, 2019 11:41am
Thread Board
I'm so sorry to hear this! Will be praying!
Reply to: #972637 by DarkZen and Evil Cow Pie
Mar 13, 2019 11:58am
Thread Board
O-M-G I gotta get back to work. Trying not to laugh out loud.
Night boxing
Board: Event News and Planning
Mar 13, 2019 1:10pm
Thread Board
Re: Night boxing
Reply to: #972655 by Amanda from Seattle
Mar 13, 2019 1:40pm
Thread Board
I just might do this as an added element to my annual Letterboxers Egg Hunt Event next year, the theme of Myth and Legend even works!

Warrior Woman
intrigued
Reply to: #972647 by Petunia
Mar 13, 2019 1:40pm
Thread Board
Back story: A year ago, my husband was working on a game idea (worker placement/delivery) & plateaued. Frustrated, he decided to take a break from that game & work on a different game idea. He teamed up with local gamer & designer David from Fisher Heaton Games (Intelle) and Gartenbau began to take shape.

Hoooooly small world, Batman. David and I were pretty close friends years ago, when we both lived in NJ. In fact, earlier in this thread, I replied to CSK telling her that if she couldn't find any good advice on AQ that I would ask a friend for her. The friend I was referring to was David. :O !!!

Will you please tell him "Kitty from Qball" says hi? I could message him, but that would take the fun out of it ;) Congrats and good luck with the game!
Re: Night boxing
Reply to: #972655 by Amanda from Seattle
Mar 13, 2019 1:46pm
Thread Board
I would attend that event. 😁
Marching Through Georgia: re-carved and re-planted
Board: State: Connecticut
Mar 13, 2019 2:02pm
Thread Board
I have finally re-carved and re-planted Sherman's Neck Tie (Martial Music,War of the Rebellion: Marching Through Georgia). The stamp is the same image, but the 'box is in a new location. And hopefully it's more secure than the last plant site.
I'm surprised the first iteration lasted as long as it did...

The weather is improving, 'box on!
YOS, Connfederate
Re: Marching Through Georgia: re-carved and re-planted
Reply to: #972659 by Connfederate
Mar 13, 2019 2:11pm
Thread Board
You stirred up many good memories. A Connfederate plant was always a great adventure!!!
Reply to: #955043 by Captain Slick Kitty
Mar 13, 2019 2:44pm
Thread Board
A good friend of mine did this. I will private message you her information. She could probably answer your questions. Tell her "Rosemary" recommended her (not "Rosmarinus"-) she doesn't know about letterboxing!
Reply to: #972660 by Rubaduc
Mar 13, 2019 2:48pm
Thread Board
Hey Now, Duc!

I have some fine memories from finding some of your many 'boxes! Thank you for the kind words, they mean a lot coming from you.
Mar 13, 2019 3:00pm
Thread Board
Sending you and your family wave after wave of prayers.
I will light a candle for you at
LaSalette Shrine in Attleboro, MA.
Buttercup60
Reply to: #972659 by Connfederate
Mar 13, 2019 3:50pm
Thread Board
My daughters and I are going to need to try for this now!

Thank you!
Mailing info: PSA
Board: LTC: Tips, Questions, and Stuff
Mar 13, 2019 6:31pm
Thread Board
I stole borrowed this info from another thread originally posted by Yaateeh. I thought it needed a thread of its own so more peeps could benefit from it. Mailing art info:
http://mailmesomeart.blogspot.com/p/postal-points.html?m=1

Thanks Yaateeh! πŸ™‚
DZ
Reply to: #972657 by kudichan
Mar 13, 2019 7:40pm
Thread Board
I could message him, but that would take the fun out of it ;) Congrats and good luck with the game!

LOVE THIS! Pm'ing you shortly.
Visiting LA
Board: State: California
Mar 13, 2019 7:45pm
Thread Board
Hello California!!

I will be in Los Angeles for work for two weeks starting Monday. It will be my first visit to this grand city.

What do I need to see and need to do?

I will be working Mon - Fri 8 to 5 - but will have evenings and weekends free. If anyone would like to meet up please send me a message.

Thanks!
Re: Light & Magnification
Board: Tools of the Trade
Reply to: #972585 by Dawgdok
Mar 13, 2019 10:59pm
Thread Board
I use an OttLite. I have the one that switches between being a floor or tabletop lamp. I usually have it in β€œfloor” mode while I sit on the couch with the glass right up to my face and hold my carves up. Using mustard colored Staz-On also really helps you differentiate what you are and are not carving away.

I also had Advanced Lasik done a year ago, but that may be a little far to go to improve carving. 😜 Before that, I either over-compensated by defocusing my eyes, or I put a fresh pair of contacts in.
Re: Visiting LA
Reply to: #972667 by GypsyLadybug
Mar 13, 2019 11:10pm
Thread Board
LA is huge....where exactly are you staying/working. That can help us narrow down where you will be and we can better recommend boxes to find etc.

-Amanda from Seattle
Re: Visiting LA
Reply to: #972667 by GypsyLadybug
Mar 13, 2019 11:33pm
Thread Board
If you are downtown, I can highly recommend the Los Angeles Public Library, I just read a book about it (Library Book by Susan Orlean) and there are letterboxes there also....the area is also where the Black Dahlia was last seen, so you can visit those sites (and there are letterboxes) , I also recommend the Angels Flight funicular in downtown LA. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angels_Flight

-Amanda from Seattle
Does anybody know Grey crazy?
Board: State: South Carolina
Mar 14, 2019 2:17am
Thread Board
She has not logged on since September. I am trying to replace lost path tags, and I am told that she might have the South Carolina path tags. Thank you in advance if anybody can get Grey crazy a message that I am trying to get in touch with her. πŸ™‚
Happy Birthday!
Board: State: Maine
Mar 14, 2019 3:28am
Thread Board
Happy Birthday to Princess Jiffy! May your day be royal and your crown not tilt. Hugs! N and D
Mmmmmmm, Pi
Board: Yakking It Up
Mar 14, 2019 4:06am
Thread Board
Apple
Blueberry
Cherry
Dragon Fruit
Elderberry
F
G
etc