A Letterboxing Community

Search

Read Messages

Re: Event - How Far is Too Far?
Board: State: Texas
Reply to: #972467 by NLW
Mar 8, 2019 12:19pm
Thread Board
Hearne would work for us, if it is at a time we are available. It's close to the in-laws, so we could easily stay there. Events are the only way I can get my kids to box anymore... 🙃
Re: New guy
Board: State: New Jersey
Reply to: #972460 by Sheba
Mar 8, 2019 12:20pm
Thread Board
Janila and I did some of those that Scout planted in Princeton. Still need to go back and get the rest. And someone else planted there also.
Seeking planters
Board: Sky's the Limit
Mar 8, 2019 12:29pm
Thread Board
Well, and carvers, of course! There are still several sites available in this year’s challenge! If you’d like to carve and plant, please check out the tracker to see what’s available! If you’d like to carve OR plant, let me know & we’ll try to find you a buddy :-)
Re: New guy
Board: State: New Jersey
Reply to: #972491 by MissMoon
Mar 8, 2019 1:24pm
Thread Board
Still need to go back and get the rest.

I will be back home on Monday and ready to get the rest of the Princeton boxes!
Reply to: #972488 by LROSEM
Mar 8, 2019 1:27pm
Thread Board
I've traveled from NY to Nevada for an event before.

Same here except we drove from PA to Las Vegas then back east to Tarpon Springs, FL, for another event before driving back to PA. If the event is interesting enough, I don't hesitate to travel for it.
Re: New to Letterboxing
Board: New Members' Board
Reply to: #972489 by Wronghat
Mar 8, 2019 1:45pm
Thread Board
My first stamp was a store bought stamp. To this day, when I go out with newer boxes and visit boxes that I found years ago, I get nostalgic when I see the image of my first stamp in a logbook. I might still use it if I had not lost it as an historic home.
Re: Seeking planters
Reply to: #972492 by Kit Kat 61
Mar 8, 2019 1:52pm
Thread Board
I am happy to plant if someone carves. Maybe a horse or a train stamp with sky 2019 carved on it. I can't carve, but I can plant!
Reply to: #972475 by Leal536
Mar 8, 2019 1:54pm
Thread Board
Welcome to the hobby! If you get into LTC's (Letterbox Trading Cards) let me know! I will share some of mine with you!!
Reply to: #972468 by RDHG
Mar 8, 2019 1:56pm
Thread Board
Not sure how many hours you will be willing to drive, but I have an event coming up with 70 stamps plus event boxes!

I will be heading to NC next week myself for a fishing trip! It's a 6.5 hour drive for us...
Re: Seeking planters
Reply to: #972496 by DevilinDog
Mar 8, 2019 2:38pm
Thread Board
Did someone say HORSE? Say no more.

Well, actually, message me. I don’t even know what park you’re doing.
Re: Robin Hood in Ocala National Forest Event
Board: State: Florida
Reply to: #972337 by Janila
Mar 8, 2019 4:22pm
Thread Board
I am excited to meet boxers in Florida. I moved to FL almost 4 years ago now!!!
Reply to: #972475 by Leal536
Mar 8, 2019 6:31pm
Thread Board
I'm going to give you much of the same information as others have given, but there is some new information.

I am new to Letterboxing, but I have done some Geocaching. I am more into finding rather than planting at this time.

I came to letterboxing through geocaching. I saw letterbox hybrids and wanted to know what non-hybrid letterboxes were, so I searched for it. I found letterboxing.org and later this web site.

The main differences are that a geocache ***MUST*** have a log; and a letterbox ***MUST*** have a stamp.

The first stamp that I carved was for a geocaching hybrid letterbox. I would list it here, but it ***requires*** a GPS to find it because I don't want to describe directions using sage brush. This stamp and my first personal stamp were carved on erasers with an X-acto knife. I still have the same stamp design because I haven't come up with a better design.

The rest of my geocaching letterbox hybrid stamps are also listed here. I've hidden letterboxes that are listed here or letterboxing.org. I like making boxes for both audiences. However, my puzzles are always posted here and GC.com because I want a larger audience for those puzzles.

the boxes have a stamp that I stamp MY log book, right?

Yes. After that you stamp your personal stamp in the logbook of the letterbox. Then you package everything back up so that it will stay dry. Make sure that any bags do ***NOT*** get stuck in the seal of the box.

the difference between letterboxing and geocaching is that I don't need an app nor gps? But, I still need a compass?

Some (almost none) letterboxes give the location as GPS coordinates, but with most you start at the location given in the description and follow directions. Some require a compass, but should have the compass icon on them (at least on this web site). Most of the time they tell you the direction to proceed, but some tell you the compass direction from the box to a landmark.

However, adding the compass icon is not required so you should read the description before you head out. Some boxes require other items, like one that I have hidden that requires a boat. Many boxes even suggest colors of ink. So, always read the description before heading out.
Reply to: #972489 by Wronghat
Mar 8, 2019 6:35pm
Thread Board
Don't worry too much about carving your own signature stamp. [...] A couple of the most prolific finders draw a little picture.

My first letterbox find was in 2003, when I wanted to know what a non-hybrid letterbox was. I drew a little picture in the logbook and wrote some message. However, I'm certainly not one of the most prolific letterboxers, so anyone can do this.

When I wanted to letterbox seriously I carved my own signature stamp. That first letterbox find was the first one that I visited and stamped with my new stamp.
Reply to: #972467 by NLW
Mar 8, 2019 7:54pm
Thread Board
I would say 1.5 to 2 hour drive sounds doable for a day event. I enjoy the option of overnight & boxing the next day to finish finding boxes that couldn't be found the first day :)
Live & Breathe XX Patches - Do You Want Any?
Board: T-shirts! Patches! Paraphernalia!
Mar 8, 2019 8:00pm
Thread Board
There are about 30 L&B XX patches left over from the event! Please contact me via AQ Mail if you are interested in purchasing any. $4 per patch, and I'll cut you a deal if you want multiples. :) Any money raised over shipping costs will be dropped into the donation box at an upcoming Texas letterboxing event.
Needing prayers and warm fuzzies please.
Board: Prayer and Healing
Mar 9, 2019 5:22am
Thread Board
This probably isn't the correct board for this but it is the first one that popped up so please don't judge.

I am asking all of you wonderful letterboxing friends to please say a prayer or two for my daughter. She fighting a super aggressive cancer and I am scared to death and just cando this alone.

Thank-you all so much. ❤🙏

Acorns4u
Re: Needing prayers and warm fuzzies please.
Reply to: #972505 by Acorns4u
Mar 9, 2019 6:27am
Thread Board
Absolutely. May I ask how old she is?

Lord, thank You for the ability to come to You whenever we want to. Right now I ask you to please be with this family. Bring them strength and courage. We know that you are The Great Physician, so please use your hand to guide the doctors and medical team. Give them good discernment to make the right choices to help this daughter in her battle. We thank you for your presence. In Your Son's Name, Amen.

Acorns4u, may we send a card of encouragement?
Mar 9, 2019 6:41am
Thread Board
You are in my thoughts. Best wishes to you both!

Marianne
Mar 9, 2019 9:59am
Thread Board
We will.
Mar 9, 2019 10:56am
Thread Board
Thinking of you and your daughter, acorns4u
Mar 9, 2019 1:36pm
Thread Board
Our thoughts are with you. Keep the faith.

Jiggs and the girls
Mar 9, 2019 3:55pm
Thread Board
Prayers are going up -

for your daughter, your family and the medical team.

hugs

condo
Free Hand carved rubber stamps
Board: Letterbox Chatter
Mar 9, 2019 4:44pm
Thread Board
I haven"t been letterboxing for several years and really miss hitting the trails. However I find myself hanging on to several hand carved rubber stamps which will never be used by me. So, I want to offer to any one looking to give them a new home. Some have never been used, and others used for LTC"s or for private cards.. I will mail to the first person that answers this message. There are about 22 stamps.
Re: Free Hand carved rubber stamps
Reply to: #972513 by Milk Money
Mar 9, 2019 4:51pm
Thread Board
We would live to give them a new home.
Re: Free Hand carved rubber stamps
Reply to: #972514 by Plymouth Seekers
Mar 9, 2019 5:00pm
Thread Board
Thank you Plymouth Seekers! I received your address.
Mar 9, 2019 8:19pm
Thread Board
Hugs and prayers to you and your daughter.
Crafting Retreat at Quinberry Lodge in Colorado
Board: Event News and Planning
Mar 9, 2019 10:24pm
Thread Board
We have two openings for this retreat. Check out the link. If interested in attending, please contact Gypsey Fiddler or The Woodshed.
https://www.atlasquest.com/showinfo.php?eventId=4110
A Star is Born
Board: Movie Moments
Mar 9, 2019 10:30pm
Thread Board
Thanks to my grandfather's love of movies, I was basically raised around the black and white films and am very familiar with movie stars of Hollywood's golden ages, i.e. James Steward, Maureen O'Hara, Judy Garland . . . etc.

Surprisingly enough, I never did see A Star is Born with Judy Garland but am very familiar the story of with how this film was intended to be her comeback film, and how some felt she was basically rob of her Oscar.

Which brings me to 2018's version of A Star is Born, directed by and starring Bradley Cooper.

In this version, Cooper plays Jackson Maine, a famous country singer who is also a severe alcoholic. While on a quest for more alcohol, he stumbles into a drag queen bar and chances upon Allie, played by Lady Gaga, performance of "La Vie En Rose"La Vie En Rose". He is surprised by her immense talent and he gives her the break she needs to get into the music business. Love follows as he struggles with his alcoholism and she struggles to balance her rising star and being with him and dealing with his bouts of drunkenness. Loving him the way that she does, she gives him her all, even willing to cut into her career to choose him and their life together over her career.

It also stars Sam Elliot, who has an emotional moment that just cuts you. And, surprisingly, Andrew Dice Clay, who isn't insulting women, for once.

If you have ever seen any of the three versions, especially the 1937 or Judy Garland version, you know how it ends.

Having provided the premise, on to my Kitty Paws:
One Kitty Paw for Bradley's directional debut. He does an excellent job directing this emotionally charged film.
One Kitty Paw for Bradley's performance. What I love about it is that I don't see Bradley Cooper. I see Jackson Maine on the screen. I can see why he was nominated.
One Kitty Paw for it's awesome sound track. It's a powerhouse of music.
A Kitty Paw for Lady Gaga's performance. She does a great job. But I am not 100% solid on it being Oscar worthy. It is a great performance, especially her emotional tribute at the very end.
A Kitty Paw for it's supporting cast.

But . . . . spoilers ahead . . .

I really struggled with the ending. I felt the movie focused more on their music and struggles, but not on that level. I mean, he mentioned the incident that happened when he was a kid, and how his father didn't even notice, and his struggles with his fathers . . . but nothing so detrimental that his demons would lead to the ending.

Granted people can argue that when someone makes the final decision like that, they don't tell people or hint to it. They just do it.

But for me, it just didn't really fit for this movie; like the lead up, especially with the manager just wasn't solid enough. I actually kinda felt that it cheapened Bradley's character.

Anyhooo at 5 Kitty Paws, I do highly recommend Bradley Cooper's version A Star is Born.
Mar 9, 2019 11:11pm
Thread Board
Prayers for your daughter and for you.
Mar 10, 2019 4:48am
Thread Board
Sending prayers for healing for your daughter and strength for you all.
hugs,
Tea