A Letterboxing Community

Search

Read Messages

Re: mailbox archive option
Board: Letterboxing Help Desk
Reply to: #972204 by condo
Feb 27, 2019 8:18pm
Thread Board
I have tried to archive a new mailbox message and the icon is grayed out and when I hover over it, it says that it is disabled.

It's probably because your archive folder is full. You can only archive a maximum of 1000 messages in a folder. Premium members can create additional folders for archiving purposes, but otherwise you'll have to delete some old messages from the folder before you can save more.

-- Ryan
Re: Transportation Stamps Needed
Board: Stamp Swap
Reply to: #972198 by Quite Contrary
Feb 27, 2019 8:34pm
Thread Board
Flying carpet?
Boxes at Kerrville Schreiner Park for TALE
Board: State: Texas
Feb 27, 2019 8:37pm
Board
Just an FYI - I'll be updating my boxes at Kerrville before Saturday, specifically Witch way? and The Cursed Treasure Series which have missing stamps. If you wanted to get these, you may want to wait until Saturday to get updated clues.

I'll also try to update the clues for the other series to fit all the trail changes. Fortunately I have an old map labeled with the box locations - so hopefully I can find them all!
Feb 27, 2019 8:58pm
Thread Board
We had so much fun brainstorming different categories of transportation!! I love all the ideas on the tracker! I like magical modes of transport, space travel, and famous vehicles the most!

Thanks to everyone who is carving and brainstorming ideas - it's going to be a great event!
Feb 28, 2019 5:32am
Thread Board
Re: How to download find logbook
Reply to: #972216 by Green Tortuga
Feb 28, 2019 6:19am
Thread Board
I'm getting random found boxes repeated.

At this point I've started to go through the list from the beginning, one by one, adding location, planter, and other info. I think I'm up to box 60. I guess I should have been maintaining my own electronic logbook from the very beginning because it's going to take forever.
Desiree AQversary
Board: Look at Me! Look At You!
Feb 28, 2019 9:51am
Board
Happy AQversary! May you find the wonderful boxes you seek!!!
7 slots left- childhood fears ltcs.
Board: LTC Collective
Feb 28, 2019 11:13am
Board
There's still room here
https://www.atlasquest.com/showinfo.php?trackerId=10094

This is going to be a cool swap. I know I'm excited about mine. I know I'm a new host, but I have one successful host under my belt, and I'm reliable. Thank you! Let's have fun!.
Re: Reuse...why?
Board: LTC: Trades and Trackers
Reply to: #972214 by aMAZEing adventure frog
Feb 28, 2019 3:05pm
Thread Board
Recycle? Reuse? I am not prolific card maker, but last year one of my first taped bubble envelopes finally wore out. It was a sad moment. If I still had the ones that fell into black holes, I'd be envelope rich!
Now, I'm not so sure about taping more large flat envelopes. I have two out there somewhere, and one ready to use, and I don't think I will tape any more of them. It takes a lot of tape in places that aren't going to be touched by labels or stamps.
There is probably an elegant solution that costs almost nothing, is simple to make, and results in a high quality, durable envelope that will last a lifetime. I just don't know what it is.
Reply to: #972225 by Maude
Feb 28, 2019 3:21pm
Thread Board
I taped up three new flat mailers recently. I actually cut them down to a smaller size. This way the hosts are forced to fold my trading card sheets in thirds so the cards dont fall out of the sheet and become a lump in the envelope.
Re: mailbox archive option
Reply to: #972217 by Green Tortuga
Feb 28, 2019 5:07pm
Thread Board
Thank you. I was wondering the other day if it had a limit............got my answer. maybe I shouldn't have thought of the question. nodding ;j

off to delete ;j
Ima little slow to the party...
Board: Atlas Quest Announcements
Feb 28, 2019 5:44pm
Thread Board
Normally I don't weigh in on updates, change is change and all about a learning curve.
BUT this change sucks.
PLEASE bring back the Green Check Mark that indicates a shared find with another member!
Random, not random, or a little random acts of kindness...
Feb 28, 2019 6:20pm
Board
Want some ancient LTC's for your collection?

https://www.atlasquest.com/showinfo.php?trackerId=10165
Re: Raleigh and Surrounding Areas
Board: State: North Carolina
Reply to: #972158 by Munkeybee
Feb 28, 2019 6:30pm
Thread Board
I have started trying to update that list of boxes but am only about 1/3 of the way through. People keep planting new boxes. :)
Re: Ima little slow to the party...
Reply to: #972228 by Three FLAmigo's
Feb 28, 2019 6:39pm
Thread Board
I humbly beg profusely for this as well. When I go to an event with someone, I can look at their logbook to make sure I managed to log all the finds I know we got together. This has really kept me from missing boxes in the past. Logging at events can be so tough otherwise.
Re: Raleigh and Surrounding Areas
Board: State: North Carolina
Reply to: #972230 by Mouse Nanny
Feb 28, 2019 7:15pm
Thread Board
That is a good challenge to have. 😉
Reply to: #972231 by PiggyJaunt
Feb 28, 2019 7:19pm
Thread Board
Of course you can get around this using advanced search. Type in a location, narrow it down to traditional boxes or event boxes or whatever you like, and then put your friend's trail name in the Finder box. You'll get a list of their finds complete with the little green check marks so you can see which ones you found and which ones you didn't.

Or you can do the same thing but also put your own trail name in the Hide Finder box. Then you'll get a list of what your friend found that you haven't logged as finds yet.
Reply to: #972231 by PiggyJaunt
Feb 28, 2019 7:46pm
Thread Board
While not applicable to me PiggyJaunt, you also have a valid point.

For me the WTH moment came when I was trying to figure out what boxes either of us had already done.

That green check mark is a terrific easy at a glance indicator to use when deciding what boxes to find when boxing with a buddy so that neither of us is doing a repeat.
Reply to: #972233 by Dawnkey
Feb 28, 2019 7:47pm
Thread Board
Not shooting the messenger but really?

There was nothing wrong with easy peasy...

Your explanation & help is appreciated.

But I still prefer easy peasy.
St. Patrick's Day themed Twinchies
Feb 28, 2019 9:56pm
Board
Still have 4 openings. Recycled stamps OK as long as it's a new design.
https://www.atlasquest.com/showinfo.php?trackerId=10160
Teaching 5WH in letterboxing...
Board: Event News and Planning
Feb 28, 2019 10:43pm
Thread Board
A thought in process........So We ( Bobbie and I) were talking today about when and how we got into letterboxing 8 almost 9 years ago... We read up on it and decided to jump right into it.... At first it was a little... I guess emotional, unsure, confused if we were doing it right.... But we succeeded and then We hosted our first ever event and felt it went a lot better then we figured it would...
Anyways... Long story short... We were thinking about doing a meet and greet, newbies, oldies.... Kinda theme event...

We have talked to our family and friends about it that they sometimes just say.... "Oh sounds fun" "I wanna do that" but never have the push... So we thought why not throw an event type party to show people what its like. Set up a letterboxing party for those who want to give it a try before they sign up and join... What are your thoughts? Concerns? Idea? Advice?

If we did do something like this would you consider helping us show the ropes?

Just our thoughts
Mar 1, 2019 4:56am
Thread Board
Yes please bring back green check marks, they are so very helpful to me.
Mar 1, 2019 4:59am
Thread Board
Unfortunately GT is in Jordan (yes, you read correctly) and will not be back for a while. I’m sure he will comment upon his return.

BB
Re: Teaching 5WH in letterboxing...
Board: Event News and Planning
Reply to: #972239 by Moms_Play
Mar 1, 2019 5:43am
Thread Board
Hi. I work with Girl Scouts and I am also a volunteer ranger with The Last Green Valley National Heritage Corridor in CT/MA. I run introduction to letterboxing programs all the time. I would be happy to give you any advice on this type of program. I usually take about letterboxing and explain how it's done, then we make signature stamps using blocks of wood (2"x2" scrap wood blocks) and use the stick-on foam shapes to make the stamps. Then I give then a little starter logbook I make out of card stock and copy paper folded in half and stapled and send them on their way to look for boxes at the site we are at. Usually we can do the program and find 4 boxes in about 2 hours. (45 minutes to do the intro and stamp and an hour or so depending on group size to find the boxes.

If you want the directions for the stamps I can send them out. This program has been very popular with Girl Scouts and their families - I keep adding programs and now do 8 a year plus a full event for the Girl Scouts and run the program yearly for TLGV Acorn Adventures. It works well for all ages and is great for family groups.

Lowland Lass
Reply to: #972226 by Linden Leaf
Mar 1, 2019 5:49am
Thread Board
I taped up three new flat mailers recently. I actually cut them down to a smaller size. This way the hosts are forced to fold my trading card sheets in thirds so the cards dont fall out of the sheet and become a lump in the envelope.

I thought about doing this, but wouldn't it make the mailer too thick, especially if you have a lumpy card?
Reply to: #972243 by Rocklun
Mar 1, 2019 6:29am
Thread Board
Flat mailers maximum thickness is 3/4 inch. That's really thick. I think most swaps are 9-12 participants - that's a big swap now. So even with a thick card it doesn't make the envelope exceed 3/4 inch. And I havent seen an embellished card for awhile. I think some card makers are more apt to embellish than others, like Raven and Housepitality hostess...but even so. Cards like theirs are so far and few between it hasn't been a problem.

But...

I just received one of frog's seasonal swaps back. That's about 21 cards. 1/3 if the cards fell out of the sleeves and were lumped at the bottom. With that many cards loose it now runs the risk of not being evenly distributed and over 3/4 inch thick. That's the only swap were I continue to think a bubbler would be safest.
Reply to: #972233 by Dawnkey
Mar 1, 2019 7:25am
Thread Board
Of course you can get around this using advanced search. Type in a location, narrow it down to traditional boxes or event boxes or whatever you like, and then put your friend's trail name in the Finder box. You'll get a list of their finds complete with the little green check marks so you can see which ones you found and which ones you didn't.

Or you can do the same thing but also put your own trail name in the Hide Finder box. Then you'll get a list of what your friend found that you haven't logged as finds yet.

And why should one have to do all that when before the update you could just LOOK??? It seems to me that doing all that instead of just looking at the info is not an update. That's going backwards, more of a downgrade.

And yes BB I know he's in Jordan.
Reading Boards
Board: Letterbox Chatter
Mar 1, 2019 7:33am
Thread Board
Is anyone getting different versions of when the most recent post is on a board depending on which way you look........Browse Board vs Most Recent Threads?

Different links to the boards give different versions of when the last post was?

I know I'm old but......
Reply to: #972226 by Linden Leaf
Mar 1, 2019 8:11am
Thread Board
This way the hosts are forced to fold my trading card sheets in thirds so the cards dont fall out of the sheet and become a lump in the envelope.

But you know they will fold the sheet backwards and the cards will still fall out!
Re: Reading Boards
Board: Letterbox Chatter
Reply to: #972246 by MissMoon
Mar 1, 2019 8:25am
Thread Board
I asked a similar question earlier. Ryan explained he changed the way the way the thread search works because he considers this a boards based forum - not a thread based forum.

For me, I keep up with what’s happening by replies to recent threads. Even though it’s been changed Ryan offered several work arounds.

I use Ryan’s second reply in this thread:
https://tinyurl.com/y6t672fw
As a solution.

DZ