Search

Read Messages

Re: Latest Logbook Updates
Board: Atlas Quest Announcements
Reply to: #972012 by Green Tortuga
Feb 23, 2019 7:26am
Thread Board
I'll be hiking the Jordan Trail

Safe travels and those of us on W4F will be looking for this exciting new trail when you're done with it.
Re: Unlisted boxes in logbook
Board: State: Connecticut
Reply to: #972030 by roo
Feb 23, 2019 7:39am
Thread Board
Well, I found the Unlisted Finds drop down but as I tried to get it to load it automatically jumps over to the normal finds. The information was useful but ultimately unsuccessful. Thank you though!
Re: is it time?
Board: Suggestion Box
Reply to: #972026 by Janila
Feb 23, 2019 7:44am
Thread Board
To each his/her own!!!! Everyone is entitled to his/her own opinions and thoughts, but when you post on a community board such as this it is inevitable you are going to get some push back and comments that you don't like. Don't post if you can't take the feedback....period.
Feb 23, 2019 7:44am
Thread Board
Scratch that, I tried it one more time and it worked!! Thank you for pointing this out!
Reply to: #972027 by Crayola Posse
Feb 23, 2019 7:46am
Thread Board
Exacty!!! Don't want the feedback or opinions don't post. This subject is becoming quite boring so off to do other positive things and enjoy the day!!!
Reply to: #972004 by Janila
Feb 23, 2019 9:13am
Thread Board
Talking with LTCers, who are also active letterboxers, the interest is in promoting LTCs without in any way diminishing or separating from LBing because LBing is our parent (as well as ATCing.)

I entered the world of LTCs via LBing, which I learned about through Geocaching. Both Lbing and LTCing have brought a multitude of BLESSINGS to my life through the friendships and the adventures. Moreover, both have given me outlets for my creativity.

LTCing is LBs child and has been for 11 years. AQ has supported LTCs since Mama Cache set up the first tracker in 2007: https://www.atlasquest.com/showinfo.php?trackerId=510 . I have yet to find an ATC site that has the kinds of features that our AQ webmaster has created. We are all indeed blessed by the AQ site and by LB traditionalists' suggestions about the site.

I create LTCs, not ATCs. I have created over 400 LTCs. I can say that at least half of the stamps I carved for those, maybe more, have been planted on trails as traditionals.

LTC is NOT letterboxing, it is Letterboxing's child, and we embrace our parent. So whether someone enters this LB community through caching, TCing, or LBing, or all the other avenues, we are a growing, changing community affecting one another's interest. Hopefully in positive ways.

The discussion over traditional letterboxing and its changes as well as its offsprings will continue. As for LTCing, this is what I want:

For anyone:
*to easily find the AQ site and recognize it as a site that also supports LTCs,
*to easily locate the LTC resources on AQ,
*to explore all the facets of an amazing growing LB community focused on people, adventure and creativity and then to choose which of the facets to participate in
*a positive, blossoming relationship with our parent-- letterboxing
Reply to: #972037 by aMAZEing adventure frog
Feb 23, 2019 9:49am
Thread Board
very well stated, frog.
Reply to: #972025 by Dawnkey
Feb 23, 2019 10:09am
Thread Board
Thank you oh so much!

td
Reply to: #971964 by aMAZEing adventure frog
Feb 23, 2019 11:48am
Thread Board
I am coming to this late, but after reading much of the conversation, I have to wonder:

What is wrong with the site the way that it is? It is a letterboxing web site with areas available for all of the off shoots. To start making it have different main focuses may detract from the core of letterboxing.

I am not trying to rile up anybody. I am seriously asking.
Re: Logbook Tweak
Reply to: #971963 by Sheba
Feb 23, 2019 11:51am
Thread Board
... how long does it take for that page to load for you now?

Who cares? Having a computer take three seconds to do something useful is better than it taking .03 second to do something useless. And it's better than having to transfer all the data into a spreadsheet, which would take me a few minutes. And it's certainly better than having to do it all by hand.
Reply to: #972040 by RDHG
Feb 23, 2019 12:27pm
Thread Board
It's about easy access to the off shoots. When I send out ltc welcome packages I send three different links, all within AQ, for the newbies to look at. If you look at the homepage of AQ you will see links and buttons to all sorts of stuff...even events. If you want to be a real purest then events wouldn't really be considered letterboxing. But why not have links on the home page for ltcs too...even postals? If you look at the statistics LTCs hold their own against event boxes. The event box statistics include table top boxes correct? And if you continue to look at all the statistics, traditional letterboxing and the off shoots have been declining. So why not promote all the avenues? They all feed off of each other and could possibly help the hobby as a whole??
Reply to: #972042 by Linden Leaf
Feb 23, 2019 12:31pm
Thread Board
Soo...under the Letterboxes tab on the menu, are you thinking that an LTC sub tab would be beneficial?
Reply to: #972043 by RDHG
Feb 23, 2019 12:45pm
Thread Board
Not asking to change the main focus; although one of my previous comments on the board probably implied that. My apologies for that. I was rather over-zealous in my initial thinking.

Seeking an efficient way to access the LTC community resources. Most new people to LTCs describe trying to find the LTC resources on AQ as a pain, having to scour the site until they find something. I've been in the LTC world for years and still can't find some of the LTC stuff. Most of it is scattered through the HELP sections so for a new person seeking LTC info, there is no quick, direct route.

Historically, LTCs have been a part of the AQ world for 11 of its 15 years, and for 11 of the 18 years letterboxing has been in the US.

Some of us want to work at promoting LTCs which in turn promotes letterboxing at its core. We have to send a list of links to guide prospects to the AQ LTC resources. A one click option would be ideal.

May we have a little box on the homepage with a small button or two for quick access to the LTC resources or just one button to an LTC page with all the AQ LTC links there. It could be small like the "What's New on AQ?" Maybe put it next to the "Walking for Fun." ;) We could label it "Dang those LTCers! What are they up to now?"

All puns aside, we are NOT suggesting that the focus of the site--letterboxing-- be changed. Just that the letterboxing community embrace the creative child it gave birth to back in 2007.
Reply to: #972044 by aMAZEing adventure frog
Feb 23, 2019 1:16pm
Thread Board
Maybe an easy would be to create a Ltc blog (livejournal might be a good place) or facebook group that new Ltcs could be directed to for how-to-get-started info presented all in one place and curated by an experienced ltc-er.
I have not had the accessability issues some folks are describing, and find the help section that currently exist works just fine- it's also really easy to search the boards and find all kinds of useful stuff. While I have not actual done and ltcs yet I'm confident there is plenty of information avilable to me if I do.
Feb 23, 2019 1:35pm
Thread Board
When you are in your logbook, select Unlisted Finds instead of Finds. Essentially they are 2 separate lists now.

What?! Noooooooooo... why?? That makes as much sense as carrying around two logbooks in the field and stamping AQ listed stamps in one logbook and all other stamps in the other logbook.
Feb 23, 2019 2:23pm
Thread Board
Thanks, Ryan! Even though you separated the unlisted finds, I still prefer this iteration to the "new and improved" iteration. And I really like having all of the AQ-listed finds on a single page!

Have a good trip!
Reply to: #972046 by Trailhead Tessie
Feb 23, 2019 2:36pm
Thread Board
Apparently the unlisted finds slows computing down. I understand that perhaps a premium benefit may be to have the ability to have a combined logbook, which makes sense since entering unlisted finds is a premium feature except on hat day.
Feb 23, 2019 2:44pm
Thread Board
I can't help but think that the slow computer times are the result of Public Hand and Dbare finding so many letterboxes. The solution to slow computer times without twerking with everyone's logbook is obvious--off with their heads.
Feb 23, 2019 2:49pm
Thread Board
I love letterboxing. Going out, following the clue, finding the box (usually; and if I don't find it, that's part of the adventure as well). I love the creativity of the stamps others do and doing some carving myself. However, I live in the middle of nowhere and have to travel 2 hours at least to get to an area to letterbox. I starting to place boxes in my area but that doesn't bring new ones near me. So I have found LTCs a great way to continue that joy of creating and sharing this art we carve. Is it the same? No. But I have always seen the art of the stamps in my Logbook as the heart of the hobby.
Re: Trade LTCs for Stamps?
Board: LTC: Trades and Trackers
Reply to: #971944 by RDHG
Feb 23, 2019 2:52pm
Thread Board
Wish we could turn back time, to the good old days....
Re: Trade LTCs for Stamps?
Board: LTC: Trades and Trackers
Reply to: #972051 by Procyon
Feb 23, 2019 2:58pm
Thread Board
I want to love this comment, but this is not Facebook. 🤣
Reply to: #972032 by Public Hand
Feb 23, 2019 3:06pm
Thread Board
that does work for me
Re: Does anyone clean stamps anymore?!?!?
Board: Letterbox Chatter
Reply to: #971930 by Stitches
Feb 23, 2019 3:19pm
Thread Board
I found this: http://www.letterboxing.info/articles/00000002.php
scroll down to "Paper towels, cotton rag". It talks about cleaning the stamp there.

Huh. Well, anyone is free to make up their own imaginary rules and post them online. Thanks for sharing. Whoever posted that webpage apparently wants everyone to clean the stamps, but that's not a preference that most boxers seems to share. I could post a webpage that says all boxers should click their heels three times before stamping in, that doesn't mean that's actually a letterboxing rule.
Feb 23, 2019 3:22pm
Thread Board
Whodunit?? all I can say is MIM DID IT!!
Board: Event News and Planning
Feb 23, 2019 3:30pm
Thread Board
Thank you for an amazing, challenging, fun event!!! Great stamps. Great clues. Even some time to touch base with friends.

Already looking forward to next year's event!
Feb 23, 2019 3:34pm
Thread Board
This is great.

I had been thinking when all the complaints were coming in, that in a couple months when more people start boxing in the good weather and logging finds and didn't catch the conversation, the whole thing was going to start over. It still might.
Re: Whodunit?? all I can say is MIM DID IT!!
Reply to: #972056 by SherlockMiles
Feb 23, 2019 3:50pm
Thread Board
I am delighted to read all the lovely, kind comments arriving via AtlasQuest email. I recall with nostalgia how much fun we had last year at the original Whodunits event.

Thank you all so much for sharing your excitement and enthusiasm with me. Although I letterbox only occasionally, I thoroughly enjoy a good mystery, and tried to provide that for you.
Reply to: #972048 by Wronghat
Feb 23, 2019 3:54pm
Thread Board
I understand that perhaps a premium benefit may be to have the ability to have a combined logbook, which makes sense since entering unlisted finds is a premium feature except on hat day.

I've been a premium member for years...but I'm not seeing a combined logbook.
Re: Whodunit?? all I can say is MIM DID IT!!
Reply to: #972056 by SherlockMiles
Feb 23, 2019 3:56pm
Thread Board
Yes, that is for sure....Mim did it in the library with the rubber stamps!
Re: Has anyone read about Konmari?
Board: Reading Room
Reply to: #971957 by CoffeeSpoons
Feb 23, 2019 4:38pm
Thread Board
I, too, appreciate her philosophy. I haven't blessed my cast-offs, because I generally look at the item(s) and say, "well you are fully depreciated; time to go!" I donated 5 bags of clothing (and we generally don't have too many to start with). I'm just about done with books. I met an author who wanted to see my cast-off cookbook collection the other day. He offered me $10 for half my bag. Win/Win! Our neighborhood has an annual yard sale. I regularly donate books to the library sale, but I might wait until after the yard sale to donate the remainder. I've set a new boundary - all our books have to fit in the living room cases. I have about 40% free space now. As I uncover books from other rooms, I am able to gather like items to future category sorts. This has been very motivating. If I can make some money from the yard sale this year I am purchasing a commercial vaccuum! I'm afraid my cast-offs that I store in the basement for the next few months will be so numerous, that I'll have to slow-down. Bonus ... DH is quoting KM and seems to be on board.