A Letterboxing Community

Search

Read Messages

Re: Latest Logbook Updates
Board: Atlas Quest Announcements
Reply to: #972012 by Green Tortuga
Feb 23, 2019 5:13am
Thread Board
Hope your time away is great, GT. Be safe.
Re: Logbook Tweak
Reply to: #972014 by Sheba
Feb 23, 2019 5:14am
Thread Board
The unlisted finds are under ACTION, where the labels for plants, finds, etc. are.
Re: is it time?
Board: Suggestion Box
Reply to: #972008 by DarkZen and Evil Cow Pie
Feb 23, 2019 5:57am
Thread Board
I couldn't agree with you more!! Use the sections on this site for what interests you and ignore the rest. Some of us are also in the hobby to meet and enjoy the company of others. Whether that happens at events or through other aspects it is OUR choice how we decide to do that. If we all followed every definition of everything in life what a very boring and dull life that would be. Unfortunately, some people just aren't happy unless they are criticizing something or someone all the time. If you don't like it ignore it, but please DO NOT force you thoughts and opinions on others.
Feb 23, 2019 6:02am
Thread Board
I am very happy with this iteration! The finds are listed in the correct order and I can just scroll down to look at them all at once. Thank you for all your hard work in trying to please all of us.
Mosaic Butterfly
Feb 23, 2019 6:10am
Thread Board
Question. I notice that the last found option is no longer available on my plants. Is there another way to do this than looking up each of my hundreds of plants (all kinds)?
Re: Host gifts
Board: LTC: Trades and Trackers
Reply to: #971721 by Linden Leaf
Feb 23, 2019 6:16am
Thread Board
Yay for Quisps !!
Re: Harpers Ferry ?s
Board: State: West Virginia
Reply to: #971960 by photopam
Feb 23, 2019 6:22am
Thread Board
I visited there several times and enjoyed staying at the Youth Hostel. You have kitchen privilege and choice of inside bunks or tenting if you are geared for outdoor camping. Bonus is meeting interesting people.
Re: thoughts?
Board: LTC: Trades and Trackers
Reply to: #971980 by Basset Mom
Feb 23, 2019 6:22am
Thread Board
I was given my first LTC at an event and was pleased but a bit mystified- what was it for?? A few years later I decided to try making some and have enjoyed it. But when I’ve been to events I find most people are not that interested. They are more interested in getting out on the trail and doing exchanges and event boxes. It would be fun to actually trade face to face but mostly I’ve just had one-way gift situations, newbie bundles, and the trackers. I’m not very aggressive, though, so maybe I’m just missing opportunities!
Reply to: #972021 by J Walkers
Feb 23, 2019 6:31am
Thread Board
You can just do an advanced search. The Search Type box in the upper right of the page will let you choose All Types, Traditionals, etc. The Sort Order box is on the left side of the page just a little further down, and you can select the order of your display results. Then further down on the page just put your trail name in the Planter box and run the search.
Reply to: #972019 by Una Marlee Sue
Feb 23, 2019 6:58am
Thread Board
please DO NOT force you thoughts and opinions on others.

So far, this discussion has been relatively calm and flame free. This morning, I went to find a letterbox, you know, the kind that required me to leave my house and I came home to find that once again, I am being told that I cannot express my opinion.

I am not sure how I might have done that just by stating that by the definition of letterboxing, LTCs are not related to letterboxing except through the creation of a rubber stamp, which is an indisputable fact. I did not ask that LTCs be banned from letterboxing, I simply stated that I didn't think they needed to be expanded. I also mentioned that the decision isn't up to me and that I would work with whatever is decided by Ryan. So, you might want to place me on ignore and please DO NOT try to force your thoughts and opinions on me.

And, with that, I am finished with this discussion.
Reply to: #972019 by Una Marlee Sue
Feb 23, 2019 7:06am
Thread Board
If you don't like it ignore it, but please DO NOT force you [sic] thoughts and opinions on others.

Weighing in on a question on ”is it time?” to add a feature to the direction of Atlas Quest homepage is not forcing an opinion, it’s having one. We do ignore what we don’t want to participate in but, as members of the diverse community, we also have a right to chime in when a question is thrown out. If you only want people to agree with you, why ask the whole community?
Re: Unlisted boxes in logbook
Board: State: Connecticut
Reply to: #972011 by burning feet
Feb 23, 2019 7:13am
Thread Board
We do a lot of boxes from other letterboxing sites which equates to a huge number of unlisted finds......can't find our either but at least the AQ boxes we found recently that weren't showing up are now showing?????

Let me know if you figure this one out?
Reply to: #971964 by aMAZEing adventure frog
Feb 23, 2019 7:15am
Thread Board
I kind of wonder if these off shoots keep the letterboxing hobby alive for many of us. For me, I havent found a box in the wild since 2014. But I have been active in LTCS, postals, and a few events. I think all the off shoots may keep AQ active. Does AQ need to be active? I dont know? If these off shoots and boards were not included would AQ be like letterboxing.org? From what I hear not many people love that site. But many of us love AQ! There is a big community here.

I was thinking about how I got started in letterboxing. I was trying to remember how I got started in the off shoots. And I think it was when I went to my profile page and I saw that there were things that you could log: HH/Cooties/Fleas and Postals and event boxes etc. That was the only way that I found out about the other things that I can do within this community.

Ltcs in my opinion, are a very strong part of Atlas Quest. We connect here which I'm grateful for. But we also have a couple Facebook pages. But AQ continues to be our home base.
Reply to: #972011 by burning feet
Feb 23, 2019 7:16am
Thread Board
When you are in your logbook, select Unlisted Finds instead of Finds. Essentially they are 2 separate lists now.
Feb 23, 2019 7:26am
Thread Board
I'll be hiking the Jordan Trail

Safe travels and those of us on W4F will be looking for this exciting new trail when you're done with it.
Reply to: #972030 by roo
Feb 23, 2019 7:39am
Thread Board
Well, I found the Unlisted Finds drop down but as I tried to get it to load it automatically jumps over to the normal finds. The information was useful but ultimately unsuccessful. Thank you though!
Reply to: #972026 by Janila
Feb 23, 2019 7:44am
Thread Board
To each his/her own!!!! Everyone is entitled to his/her own opinions and thoughts, but when you post on a community board such as this it is inevitable you are going to get some push back and comments that you don't like. Don't post if you can't take the feedback....period.
Feb 23, 2019 7:44am
Thread Board
Scratch that, I tried it one more time and it worked!! Thank you for pointing this out!
Reply to: #972027 by Crayola Posse
Feb 23, 2019 7:46am
Thread Board
Exacty!!! Don't want the feedback or opinions don't post. This subject is becoming quite boring so off to do other positive things and enjoy the day!!!
Reply to: #972004 by Janila
Feb 23, 2019 9:13am
Thread Board
Talking with LTCers, who are also active letterboxers, the interest is in promoting LTCs without in any way diminishing or separating from LBing because LBing is our parent (as well as ATCing.)

I entered the world of LTCs via LBing, which I learned about through Geocaching. Both Lbing and LTCing have brought a multitude of BLESSINGS to my life through the friendships and the adventures. Moreover, both have given me outlets for my creativity.

LTCing is LBs child and has been for 11 years. AQ has supported LTCs since Mama Cache set up the first tracker in 2007: https://www.atlasquest.com/showinfo.php?trackerId=510 . I have yet to find an ATC site that has the kinds of features that our AQ webmaster has created. We are all indeed blessed by the AQ site and by LB traditionalists' suggestions about the site.

I create LTCs, not ATCs. I have created over 400 LTCs. I can say that at least half of the stamps I carved for those, maybe more, have been planted on trails as traditionals.

LTC is NOT letterboxing, it is Letterboxing's child, and we embrace our parent. So whether someone enters this LB community through caching, TCing, or LBing, or all the other avenues, we are a growing, changing community affecting one another's interest. Hopefully in positive ways.

The discussion over traditional letterboxing and its changes as well as its offsprings will continue. As for LTCing, this is what I want:

For anyone:
*to easily find the AQ site and recognize it as a site that also supports LTCs,
*to easily locate the LTC resources on AQ,
*to explore all the facets of an amazing growing LB community focused on people, adventure and creativity and then to choose which of the facets to participate in
*a positive, blossoming relationship with our parent-- letterboxing
Reply to: #972037 by aMAZEing adventure frog
Feb 23, 2019 9:49am
Thread Board
very well stated, frog.
Reply to: #972025 by Dawnkey
Feb 23, 2019 10:09am
Thread Board
Thank you oh so much!

td
Reply to: #971964 by aMAZEing adventure frog
Feb 23, 2019 11:48am
Thread Board
I am coming to this late, but after reading much of the conversation, I have to wonder:

What is wrong with the site the way that it is? It is a letterboxing web site with areas available for all of the off shoots. To start making it have different main focuses may detract from the core of letterboxing.

I am not trying to rile up anybody. I am seriously asking.
Re: Logbook Tweak
Reply to: #971963 by Sheba
Feb 23, 2019 11:51am
Thread Board
... how long does it take for that page to load for you now?

Who cares? Having a computer take three seconds to do something useful is better than it taking .03 second to do something useless. And it's better than having to transfer all the data into a spreadsheet, which would take me a few minutes. And it's certainly better than having to do it all by hand.
Reply to: #972040 by RDHG
Feb 23, 2019 12:27pm
Thread Board
It's about easy access to the off shoots. When I send out ltc welcome packages I send three different links, all within AQ, for the newbies to look at. If you look at the homepage of AQ you will see links and buttons to all sorts of stuff...even events. If you want to be a real purest then events wouldn't really be considered letterboxing. But why not have links on the home page for ltcs too...even postals? If you look at the statistics LTCs hold their own against event boxes. The event box statistics include table top boxes correct? And if you continue to look at all the statistics, traditional letterboxing and the off shoots have been declining. So why not promote all the avenues? They all feed off of each other and could possibly help the hobby as a whole??
Reply to: #972042 by Linden Leaf
Feb 23, 2019 12:31pm
Thread Board
Soo...under the Letterboxes tab on the menu, are you thinking that an LTC sub tab would be beneficial?
Reply to: #972043 by RDHG
Feb 23, 2019 12:45pm
Thread Board
Not asking to change the main focus; although one of my previous comments on the board probably implied that. My apologies for that. I was rather over-zealous in my initial thinking.

Seeking an efficient way to access the LTC community resources. Most new people to LTCs describe trying to find the LTC resources on AQ as a pain, having to scour the site until they find something. I've been in the LTC world for years and still can't find some of the LTC stuff. Most of it is scattered through the HELP sections so for a new person seeking LTC info, there is no quick, direct route.

Historically, LTCs have been a part of the AQ world for 11 of its 15 years, and for 11 of the 18 years letterboxing has been in the US.

Some of us want to work at promoting LTCs which in turn promotes letterboxing at its core. We have to send a list of links to guide prospects to the AQ LTC resources. A one click option would be ideal.

May we have a little box on the homepage with a small button or two for quick access to the LTC resources or just one button to an LTC page with all the AQ LTC links there. It could be small like the "What's New on AQ?" Maybe put it next to the "Walking for Fun." ;) We could label it "Dang those LTCers! What are they up to now?"

All puns aside, we are NOT suggesting that the focus of the site--letterboxing-- be changed. Just that the letterboxing community embrace the creative child it gave birth to back in 2007.
Reply to: #972044 by aMAZEing adventure frog
Feb 23, 2019 1:16pm
Thread Board
Maybe an easy would be to create a Ltc blog (livejournal might be a good place) or facebook group that new Ltcs could be directed to for how-to-get-started info presented all in one place and curated by an experienced ltc-er.
I have not had the accessability issues some folks are describing, and find the help section that currently exist works just fine- it's also really easy to search the boards and find all kinds of useful stuff. While I have not actual done and ltcs yet I'm confident there is plenty of information avilable to me if I do.
Feb 23, 2019 1:35pm
Thread Board
When you are in your logbook, select Unlisted Finds instead of Finds. Essentially they are 2 separate lists now.

What?! Noooooooooo... why?? That makes as much sense as carrying around two logbooks in the field and stamping AQ listed stamps in one logbook and all other stamps in the other logbook.
Feb 23, 2019 2:23pm
Thread Board
Thanks, Ryan! Even though you separated the unlisted finds, I still prefer this iteration to the "new and improved" iteration. And I really like having all of the AQ-listed finds on a single page!

Have a good trip!