Search

Read Messages

Re: Logbook Tweak
Board: Atlas Quest Announcements
Reply to: #971999 by Angel Winks
Feb 22, 2019 6:56pm
Thread Board
Thank you!

For the record, I liked having all my traditional finds (listed and unlisted) in one place, but at least I know where to find them now.
Re: Box Radar is Gone
Board: Box Radar
Reply to: #971868 by MichKathy
Feb 22, 2019 8:08pm
Thread Board
FYI for those who sent email, I sent a reply. If you don’t see it, check your spam folder since I bcc’d everyone. TLDR: new version expected next week
Reply to: #971994 by Elle
Feb 22, 2019 11:07pm
Thread Board
Those are not included now

Ah, I see they have their own page now.

Ahhhh... where?! I can't find mine.
Reply to: #972002 by BaliWho
Feb 22, 2019 11:16pm
Thread Board
Nevermind, I found them.

I liked the new(?)... old(?).. more new, less old(?)... whatever.. logbook of 2 days ago that was separated by year. I definitely don't like it now that it's all one page and the unlisted stuff are separated out.

All of a sudden my pages aren't refreshing automatically when I change the drop downs, either. Is that intentional or a glitch?
Re: is it time?
Board: Suggestion Box
Reply to: #971993 by Wise Wanderer
Feb 22, 2019 11:26pm
Thread Board
You are correct, this has grown into a huge and diverse community but that doesn't mean all interests should be addressed through just one letterboxing website. I have other hobbies that are more closely related to letterboxing than LTCs but I would not expect them to be added to this particular site. I like the thrill of a search which is what got me into letterboxing 15 years ago. So, I participate in Find a Grave and Waymarking, both hobbies involve prep work like letterboxing and then make me get outside of my home to find the items, just like letterboxing. Waymarking is actually a spinoff of geocaching, like LTCs are from letterboxing, but it has an entirely separate website. It can be linked through Geocaching.com but is separate from it. I would not expect to find either one of my interests featured on Atlas Quest in spite of their similarities.

Would you expect someone who loves cooking to be able to access everything about cooking through Atlas Quest? How about knitting or quilting? What about automotive repair? I doubt it, you would go to a website dedicated to those types of interests. Ryan has given us the ability to create message boards about pretty much any topic that we can come up with and, in my opinion, that is all that is needed for our diverse interests.

There are loads of people who enjoy all the different variations of letterboxing

This is the irritant for me. Believe it or not, I don't think LTCs are a variation of letterboxing. Yes, I may be a purist, but letterboxing is looking for a rubber stamp outside of my home, not sitting at my desk and creating lovely trading cards to be exchanged with others. One of my pet peeves is seeing a new boxer so excitedly post on a message board that they have found a box and one of the first things they are often told is "Hey, how about trying LTCs." The new boxer then thinks that making trading cards IS letterboxing, which it is not, it is only a side interest that has developed, perhaps from people who are no longer interested or are no longer able to get out and find boxes. But, to me, making LTCs is not the same as letterboxing.

In the end, it won't matter what I think or what you think because the final decision is up to Ryan as owner of the website. I have managed to ignore the LTC portion up to this point, so I can probably manage to ignore anything that is added in the future.
Fire festival
Board: State: Michigan
Feb 22, 2019 11:37pm
Thread Board
If you woke up this morning and happened to notice there was a set of boxes planted in Michigan and it inspired you to go to the fire festival this weekend, I have two tickets available. if you want to go to the festival Saturday or Sunday send me a private message and I can forward them to you.
Reply to: #971967 by Janila
Feb 22, 2019 11:42pm
Thread Board
I have long questioned how LTCs can even be considered to be part of letterboxing. The only thing that I can see that they have in common is that they use hand carved rubber stamps.

Why isn’t that enough? We enjoy searching for boxes ‘in the wild’ and will frequently drive many miles on the weekend to hunt for them. But we are not retired and we live in an area where there are not many boxes hidden.

LTCs allow us to participate and interact with other letterboxers that we otherwise would not due to living thousands of miles away. Also, there are many wonderful and talented carvers whose artistic offerings we would never get to experience without trackers.

This is far from the only letterboxing website. Most of them don’t offer an LTC option - just clues. So there are options.

And I have read on these very boards that some members don’t even agree that boxes need hand carved stamps - apparently they long for the days of purity that Dartmoor and postcards provided. So luckily this board has something for everyone.

I’m confident that hidden boxes will always be the main focus of letterboxing. But thank goodness it’s evolved and diversified into what it is now. We have met and exchanged with so many wonderful people here, it’s added fullness to our lives.

DZ
Re: Fire festival
Board: State: Michigan
Reply to: #972005 by BaliWho
Feb 22, 2019 11:45pm
Thread Board
And ...send me a non AQ email address.
Reply to: #972004 by Janila
Feb 22, 2019 11:58pm
Thread Board
This is the irritant for me....One of my pet peeves is....

I have a question for you, and I’m not being snarky, why is it “irritating” to you for other people to enjoy a side tangent of letterboxing? You don’t like it and don’t want to do it, fine. But why does it bother you so that others do?

Me? I’m just a live and let live guy. If I open a thread that is discussing something I’m not interested in I just move on.
Re: thoughts?
Board: LTC: Trades and Trackers
Reply to: #971976 by Linden Leaf
Feb 23, 2019 12:38am
Thread Board
Love this idea. But I also think it would be fun to have a place on AQ to share images. Someone could talk to Ryan about seeing if there’s a way to do something that’s more user friendly.
Reply to: #972008 by DarkZen and Evil Cow Pie
Feb 23, 2019 1:06am
Thread Board
I’m not being snarky, why is it “irritating” to you for other people to enjoy a side tangent of letterboxing?

I think you have chosen one line out of my response to focus on and ignored the rest of the response. The rest of the paragraph states that the irritant for me is in saying that LTCs are the same as letterboxing. I don't have an issue with anyone who enjoys LTCs, I just don't call making LTCs letterboxing.
Unlisted boxes in logbook
Board: State: Connecticut
Feb 23, 2019 1:49am
Thread Board
Does anyone know where the unlisted boxes go now? For example an lbna only box that i just recorded is not in my newest finds. And where did the green checks go??
Latest Logbook Updates
Feb 23, 2019 2:19am
Thread Board
So at this point, I've kind of decided to stop listening to y'all and just do what I want to do. Seems like I'm pissing everyone off anyhow, so I may as well just do whatever I want. =)

So I've made the logbook my "own"--with the limited time I currently have available. I got rid of all the search options which I never liked, I separated the unlisted finds from the finds of unlisted boxes so the database runs fast. And cut out a lot of the information from the logbook what was beyond what I considered a "logbook" would usually have. (My real logbook typically includes the name of the box, the location, the date I found it and the ID number--but the ID number is just to make recording finds easier later.)

The logbooks had been running slow with my first iteration of this latest change, but I just needed to do a bit of optimizing. I just tested the logbooks of a few of the biggest finders of AQ and the pages are loading in about 8 seconds--about twice as fast as they originally did before I started messing with the logbooks. And because all of the finds are on a single page, people don't have to hunt through dozens of pages that each took longer to load. One slow page load is still much better than 5 even slower page loads.

Yeah, it's a lot of finds on a single page, but browsers have options to search pages. There's also the Advanced Search page that lets you search boxes in a much more targeted manner. (Except unlisted boxes.... still on my to-do list someday.)

I like the idea some people suggested that the "search" options could be premium member perks, so I'll probably add a couple of those search options back in the future. Not right now because, quite literally, I'm on my way to Jordan and I just don't have time. I'll be hiking the Jordan Trail and there won't be time for much but the simplest of updates and tweaks until I'm done.

I'm sorry to those who don't like these changes, but at this point, you'll have to learn to live with them. Premium members, in a couple of months, might see the return of a few basic search options like sorting by year or "starts with" options, but for now, I'm leaving things as is.

Happy trails! =)

-- Ryan
Reply to: #971964 by aMAZEing adventure frog
Feb 23, 2019 4:08am
Thread Board
Many LTCers push the standards of the crafts involved in letterboxing

To that point, many geocachers push the standards of things like planting style, clue writing, creative containers, unique locations to take people to find a letterbox/geocache but we are glad it is a separate website. We enjoy both, very complimentary activities but have no problem that geocaching (or marathon running or scrap booking) isn’t better represented on Atlas Quest.
Reply to: #972003 by BaliWho
Feb 23, 2019 4:43am
Thread Board
Where did you find them?
Re: Plant a Beer Day 2019
Board: Event News and Planning
Reply to: #971778 by Johnsosaurus
Feb 23, 2019 4:54am
Thread Board
Huh, a tiny brewery opened in my town—maybe this’ll motivate me to carve a stamp for it!
Re: Has anyone read about Konmari?
Board: Reading Room
Reply to: #971957 by CoffeeSpoons
Feb 23, 2019 5:02am
Thread Board
which made me ask myself, "why do I have this?"

Watching the NetFlix series really helped me with this concept--I'm learning to ask myself WHY I am holding on to certain things. If it is something with legitimate sentimental value, I am looking for unique ways to display it so that I get the most out of it rather than stuffing everything into boxes.

We're in a transitional stage of our life--kids are going to college, moving out, so we are doing some remodeling and major decluttering. Feels good to see my house become a comfortable home again. Wish I had done this about 20 years ago!
Re: Latest Logbook Updates
Reply to: #972012 by Green Tortuga
Feb 23, 2019 5:13am
Thread Board
Hope your time away is great, GT. Be safe.
Reply to: #972014 by Sheba
Feb 23, 2019 5:14am
Thread Board
The unlisted finds are under ACTION, where the labels for plants, finds, etc. are.
Reply to: #972008 by DarkZen and Evil Cow Pie
Feb 23, 2019 5:57am
Thread Board
I couldn't agree with you more!! Use the sections on this site for what interests you and ignore the rest. Some of us are also in the hobby to meet and enjoy the company of others. Whether that happens at events or through other aspects it is OUR choice how we decide to do that. If we all followed every definition of everything in life what a very boring and dull life that would be. Unfortunately, some people just aren't happy unless they are criticizing something or someone all the time. If you don't like it ignore it, but please DO NOT force you thoughts and opinions on others.
Feb 23, 2019 6:02am
Thread Board
I am very happy with this iteration! The finds are listed in the correct order and I can just scroll down to look at them all at once. Thank you for all your hard work in trying to please all of us.
Mosaic Butterfly
Feb 23, 2019 6:10am
Thread Board
Question. I notice that the last found option is no longer available on my plants. Is there another way to do this than looking up each of my hundreds of plants (all kinds)?
Re: Host gifts
Reply to: #971721 by Linden Leaf
Feb 23, 2019 6:16am
Thread Board
Yay for Quisps !!
Re: Harpers Ferry ?s
Board: State: West Virginia
Reply to: #971960 by photopam
Feb 23, 2019 6:22am
Thread Board
I visited there several times and enjoyed staying at the Youth Hostel. You have kitchen privilege and choice of inside bunks or tenting if you are geared for outdoor camping. Bonus is meeting interesting people.
Re: thoughts?
Reply to: #971980 by Basset Mom
Feb 23, 2019 6:22am
Thread Board
I was given my first LTC at an event and was pleased but a bit mystified- what was it for?? A few years later I decided to try making some and have enjoyed it. But when I’ve been to events I find most people are not that interested. They are more interested in getting out on the trail and doing exchanges and event boxes. It would be fun to actually trade face to face but mostly I’ve just had one-way gift situations, newbie bundles, and the trackers. I’m not very aggressive, though, so maybe I’m just missing opportunities!
Reply to: #972021 by J Walkers
Feb 23, 2019 6:31am
Thread Board
You can just do an advanced search. The Search Type box in the upper right of the page will let you choose All Types, Traditionals, etc. The Sort Order box is on the left side of the page just a little further down, and you can select the order of your display results. Then further down on the page just put your trail name in the Planter box and run the search.
Reply to: #972019 by Una Marlee Sue
Feb 23, 2019 6:58am
Thread Board
please DO NOT force you thoughts and opinions on others.

So far, this discussion has been relatively calm and flame free. This morning, I went to find a letterbox, you know, the kind that required me to leave my house and I came home to find that once again, I am being told that I cannot express my opinion.

I am not sure how I might have done that just by stating that by the definition of letterboxing, LTCs are not related to letterboxing except through the creation of a rubber stamp, which is an indisputable fact. I did not ask that LTCs be banned from letterboxing, I simply stated that I didn't think they needed to be expanded. I also mentioned that the decision isn't up to me and that I would work with whatever is decided by Ryan. So, you might want to place me on ignore and please DO NOT try to force your thoughts and opinions on me.

And, with that, I am finished with this discussion.
Reply to: #972019 by Una Marlee Sue
Feb 23, 2019 7:06am
Thread Board
If you don't like it ignore it, but please DO NOT force you [sic] thoughts and opinions on others.

Weighing in on a question on ”is it time?” to add a feature to the direction of Atlas Quest homepage is not forcing an opinion, it’s having one. We do ignore what we don’t want to participate in but, as members of the diverse community, we also have a right to chime in when a question is thrown out. If you only want people to agree with you, why ask the whole community?
Re: Unlisted boxes in logbook
Board: State: Connecticut
Reply to: #972011 by burning feet
Feb 23, 2019 7:13am
Thread Board
We do a lot of boxes from other letterboxing sites which equates to a huge number of unlisted finds......can't find our either but at least the AQ boxes we found recently that weren't showing up are now showing?????

Let me know if you figure this one out?
Reply to: #971964 by aMAZEing adventure frog
Feb 23, 2019 7:15am
Thread Board
I kind of wonder if these off shoots keep the letterboxing hobby alive for many of us. For me, I havent found a box in the wild since 2014. But I have been active in LTCS, postals, and a few events. I think all the off shoots may keep AQ active. Does AQ need to be active? I dont know? If these off shoots and boards were not included would AQ be like letterboxing.org? From what I hear not many people love that site. But many of us love AQ! There is a big community here.

I was thinking about how I got started in letterboxing. I was trying to remember how I got started in the off shoots. And I think it was when I went to my profile page and I saw that there were things that you could log: HH/Cooties/Fleas and Postals and event boxes etc. That was the only way that I found out about the other things that I can do within this community.

Ltcs in my opinion, are a very strong part of Atlas Quest. We connect here which I'm grateful for. But we also have a couple Facebook pages. But AQ continues to be our home base.