A Letterboxing Community

Search

Read Messages

Re: Logbook Tweak
Board: Atlas Quest Announcements
Reply to: #971963 by Sheba
Feb 22, 2019 2:51pm
Thread Board
Ok, all y’all with the ten million finds that want them all listed on the same page in consecutive order... how long does it take for that page to load for you now? And how long does it take to scroll down to find #3,946? or the ones that start with M???

I never asked for all the finds to be on one long page the way it seems to be now. I just wanted it back the way it was before. That was numbered pages that for me anyway loaded just fine. Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think anyone asked for one long page. We just asked that it be returned to the way it was before the update.
Logbook-LTCs
Board: Letterboxing Help Desk
Feb 22, 2019 3:01pm
Thread Board
I'm looking for my LTC plants in my logbook. When I select plants, I thought I could sort by "LTCs" but my only choice is "Name", "Owner" or "Launch". What am I doing wrong? I was sure that's how I found them in the past.

*Actually, under Action, no matter which action I choose the only list that comes up is my list of trackers.
Re: is it time?
Board: Suggestion Box
Reply to: #971967 by Janila
Feb 22, 2019 3:19pm
Thread Board
Well then with that definition hosting letterboxing events, personal travelers, tabletop boxes would be off of AQ too.

I think all things morph over time. Ltcs and postals are an off shoot of the letterboxing hobby.
Re: thoughts?
Board: LTC: Trades and Trackers
Reply to: #971976 by Linden Leaf
Feb 22, 2019 3:26pm
Thread Board
I made a bunch of LTCs for the first event that I went to - to commemorate the event, and not that many people wanted them. It seemed they were very into boxing but not into LTC collecting. I found a few takers. I wonder how many people are into both or if folks tend to be one or the other?
Reply to: #971979 by Linden Leaf
Feb 22, 2019 3:28pm
Thread Board
Most events have boxes with clues which follow the letterboxing definition. I am not a fan of PTs or tabletop boxes either so if they would disappear, I could live with it.
Reply to: #971982 by Janila
Feb 22, 2019 3:30pm
Thread Board
Ok. Fair enough. :-)
Reply to: #971963 by Sheba
Feb 22, 2019 3:32pm
Thread Board
half a second with control F
Re: Logbook-LTCs
Reply to: #971978 by Topcollector
Feb 22, 2019 3:38pm
Thread Board
on your profile page, the 'chart' that shows your activity has a line for LTCs. continuing across that line are your plants, finds, etc for LTCs
Feb 22, 2019 3:40pm
Thread Board
One of the things I think about letter boxers is that they are a very creative bunch of people. And so to just stick with the true definition of letterboxing might be hard for some people. They're looking for ways to expand the surprise element when it comes to table top boxes and personal travelers and things of a like.

I find it interesting that even the linocut community has trouble with their definition. People like me who carve the stamps for art cannot be considered a linocut artist. I cannot show my work on many of those websites because even though I used some of the same tools I do not use linocut material. There are purists in every Hobby.

Your idea of talking to ATC communities or websites is actually a very good idea.
Re: LTC Newbie
Reply to: #971954 by jlsd0218
Feb 22, 2019 3:42pm
Thread Board
mine is that way too! wuzzup? Did you notify the webmaster(s)?

wait, wait...cards are listed too. Just looks weird. looks like a d-board except this is the summary view instead of expanded. weird.

There used to be only 100 listings per page and now it's a complete list.
Feb 22, 2019 3:52pm
Thread Board
I don't think your thinking is unpopular at all. Letterboxing for many has gone beyond the traditional. So it sounds like you might be in agreement that the site is not just a letterboxing community.

(deleted the wild suggestions!)
Reply to: #971988 by aMAZEing adventure frog
Feb 22, 2019 4:00pm
Thread Board
furthermore...

whether it's traditionals, event boxes, postals or PTs or LTCs, each area feeds into the other areas letterboxing, i.e. I don't plant much anymore (outside of my event) but I certainly carve a lot of stamps for LTCs that eventually go to planters for the trails, even toward postals, event boxes and more!
Reply to: #971985 by SherlockMiles
Feb 22, 2019 4:11pm
Thread Board
Thanks. I never got in that way before. But in my logbook I should be able to see my events, contacts, finds, plants... I can't. I can just see trackers.

Edit--it's fixed now.
Reply to: #971978 by Topcollector
Feb 22, 2019 4:17pm
Thread Board
I see the problem, there is now a GO button I have to push to change the view. I missed that.
Re: Trade LTCs for Stamps?
Reply to: #971944 by RDHG
Feb 22, 2019 4:19pm
Thread Board
Thanks. I'm going to go through my box.
Feb 22, 2019 4:23pm
Thread Board
It's a huge and diverse community, and AQ has room for all of it. There are loads of people who enjoy all the different variations of letterboxing, or just some of them, or, in your case, only one (the "traditional" boxes). So just limit yourself to that, and let the rest of the community enjoy whatever other variations they choose.
Reply to: #971968 by Elle
Feb 22, 2019 4:48pm
Thread Board
Those are not included now

Ah, I see they have their own page now.
Reply to: #971984 by Wry Me
Feb 22, 2019 4:55pm
Thread Board
Don’t think I have a control F on my phone...
Reply to: #971995 by Sheba
Feb 22, 2019 5:06pm
Thread Board
Do you have a 'droid? It so, in the 3-dot menu, which I don't know the name of, you can ask it "find in page." Same-o. If not, rats.
Feb 22, 2019 5:12pm
Thread Board
What about if we petition the Big Green One to make a way to hide the parts that you don't want to see? Then you could see only traditional boxes.

I'm not being snarky; I really do mean that it would be of a benefit for you (and some others) to turn off those parts of the web site that you don't want to see. Put it in preferences, and make it easy to turn off (and back on) these other branches from what letterboxing started out to be.
Reply to: #971994 by Elle
Feb 22, 2019 6:26pm
Thread Board
Where are the unlisted finds???
Reply to: #971998 by hartwolfzell
Feb 22, 2019 6:51pm
Thread Board
Look under the list that is called ACTION. It's listed there along with plants, finds, and so forth.
Reply to: #971999 by Angel Winks
Feb 22, 2019 6:56pm
Thread Board
Thank you!

For the record, I liked having all my traditional finds (listed and unlisted) in one place, but at least I know where to find them now.
Reply to: #971994 by Elle
Feb 22, 2019 11:07pm
Thread Board
Those are not included now

Ah, I see they have their own page now.

Ahhhh... where?! I can't find mine.
Reply to: #972002 by BaliWho
Feb 22, 2019 11:16pm
Thread Board
Nevermind, I found them.

I liked the new(?)... old(?).. more new, less old(?)... whatever.. logbook of 2 days ago that was separated by year. I definitely don't like it now that it's all one page and the unlisted stuff are separated out.

All of a sudden my pages aren't refreshing automatically when I change the drop downs, either. Is that intentional or a glitch?
Reply to: #971993 by Wise Wanderer
Feb 22, 2019 11:26pm
Thread Board
You are correct, this has grown into a huge and diverse community but that doesn't mean all interests should be addressed through just one letterboxing website. I have other hobbies that are more closely related to letterboxing than LTCs but I would not expect them to be added to this particular site. I like the thrill of a search which is what got me into letterboxing 15 years ago. So, I participate in Find a Grave and Waymarking, both hobbies involve prep work like letterboxing and then make me get outside of my home to find the items, just like letterboxing. Waymarking is actually a spinoff of geocaching, like LTCs are from letterboxing, but it has an entirely separate website. It can be linked through Geocaching.com but is separate from it. I would not expect to find either one of my interests featured on Atlas Quest in spite of their similarities.

Would you expect someone who loves cooking to be able to access everything about cooking through Atlas Quest? How about knitting or quilting? What about automotive repair? I doubt it, you would go to a website dedicated to those types of interests. Ryan has given us the ability to create message boards about pretty much any topic that we can come up with and, in my opinion, that is all that is needed for our diverse interests.

There are loads of people who enjoy all the different variations of letterboxing

This is the irritant for me. Believe it or not, I don't think LTCs are a variation of letterboxing. Yes, I may be a purist, but letterboxing is looking for a rubber stamp outside of my home, not sitting at my desk and creating lovely trading cards to be exchanged with others. One of my pet peeves is seeing a new boxer so excitedly post on a message board that they have found a box and one of the first things they are often told is "Hey, how about trying LTCs." The new boxer then thinks that making trading cards IS letterboxing, which it is not, it is only a side interest that has developed, perhaps from people who are no longer interested or are no longer able to get out and find boxes. But, to me, making LTCs is not the same as letterboxing.

In the end, it won't matter what I think or what you think because the final decision is up to Ryan as owner of the website. I have managed to ignore the LTC portion up to this point, so I can probably manage to ignore anything that is added in the future.
Fire festival
Board: State: Michigan
Feb 22, 2019 11:37pm
Thread Board
If you woke up this morning and happened to notice there was a set of boxes planted in Michigan and it inspired you to go to the fire festival this weekend, I have two tickets available. if you want to go to the festival Saturday or Sunday send me a private message and I can forward them to you.
Feb 22, 2019 11:42pm
Thread Board
I have long questioned how LTCs can even be considered to be part of letterboxing. The only thing that I can see that they have in common is that they use hand carved rubber stamps.

Why isn’t that enough? We enjoy searching for boxes ‘in the wild’ and will frequently drive many miles on the weekend to hunt for them. But we are not retired and we live in an area where there are not many boxes hidden.

LTCs allow us to participate and interact with other letterboxers that we otherwise would not due to living thousands of miles away. Also, there are many wonderful and talented carvers whose artistic offerings we would never get to experience without trackers.

This is far from the only letterboxing website. Most of them don’t offer an LTC option - just clues. So there are options.

And I have read on these very boards that some members don’t even agree that boxes need hand carved stamps - apparently they long for the days of purity that Dartmoor and postcards provided. So luckily this board has something for everyone.

I’m confident that hidden boxes will always be the main focus of letterboxing. But thank goodness it’s evolved and diversified into what it is now. We have met and exchanged with so many wonderful people here, it’s added fullness to our lives.

DZ
Re: Fire festival
Board: State: Michigan
Reply to: #972005 by BaliWho
Feb 22, 2019 11:45pm
Thread Board
And ...send me a non AQ email address.
Reply to: #972004 by Janila
Feb 22, 2019 11:58pm
Thread Board
This is the irritant for me....One of my pet peeves is....

I have a question for you, and I’m not being snarky, why is it “irritating” to you for other people to enjoy a side tangent of letterboxing? You don’t like it and don’t want to do it, fine. But why does it bother you so that others do?

Me? I’m just a live and let live guy. If I open a thread that is discussing something I’m not interested in I just move on.