Search

Read Messages

Re: Atlanta Area Letterbox recommendations
Board: State: Georgia
Reply to: #971903 by Quarry
Feb 21, 2019 5:30pm
Thread Board
Yeah... totally broke my heart.... ๐Ÿ˜ž
Re: Does anyone clean stamps anymore?!?!?
Board: Letterbox Chatter
Reply to: #971907 by Stitches
Feb 21, 2019 5:52pm
Thread Board
I'd only clean a stamp if I were using a different color for some reason. Is that what you're asking?
Feb 21, 2019 5:55pm
Thread Board
I think it's common courtesy to clean a stamp if you have a really juicy ink pad or use the wrong color.

However, people leaving ink on a stamp has saved me when I forgot my ink a few times.
Re: Harpers Ferry ?s
Board: State: West Virginia
Reply to: #971889 by photopam
Feb 21, 2019 7:11pm
Thread Board
There is a nice KOA next to the park entrance/main parking lot.
Re: Logbook Tweak
Board: Atlas Quest Announcements
Reply to: #971905 by Angel Winks
Feb 21, 2019 10:04pm
Thread Board
I wish it would have an "all" instead of traditional/hh/cootie/LTC/event/ect
When I am searching other people's logs (just attended event and I can't find AQ# for a find) they aren't listed even though their logbooks are public.... you have to choose type of stamp (and ironically for this event many of the stamps are showing up traditional instead of event so I am having trouble finding them!)
Reply to: #971909 by hawkeye
Feb 21, 2019 10:38pm
Thread Board
You went and physically looked? I thought it got moved up a little bit further on the hill?
Reply to: #971915 by T REX
Feb 21, 2019 10:41pm
Thread Board
I wasnโ€™t aware of that. Can you give me specifics?
Reply to: #971915 by T REX
Feb 21, 2019 10:43pm
Thread Board
But yes, I did physically look myself... in its original hide.
Reply to: #971917 by hawkeye
Feb 21, 2019 10:51pm
Thread Board
Which is totally caved in and disintegrated by now right?
Did you check the stump ball a little bit further up the hill?
I remember doing that with someone maybe eidolon or even Pawpaw...the last time I went to the box with him.
Or maybe I'm remembering a tribute box planted off that box?
Feb 22, 2019 12:48am
Thread Board
...the spreadsheet. Thank you. It is good to have a spot where all the boxes can be. For me, it would be helpful to have a little spreadsheet lesson (since I've used them minimally). The list downloads by box number, smallest to largest. How would I order the downloaded spreadsheet in date found order?

To change the order of the data, select โ€œdataโ€ and then โ€œsort.โ€ Typically you can sort by any of the categories listed in the "header row."
Feb 22, 2019 12:56am
Thread Board
I do have over 500 finds in 2019...

We're not even two full months into 2019 yet!
Reply to: #971918 by T REX
Feb 22, 2019 1:53am
Thread Board
Not for TW. You must be thinking about the tribute box. But if you happen to stroll by please take a look. Miss you my friend!
Reply to: #971911 by Rocklun
Feb 22, 2019 3:55am
Thread Board
I'd only clean a stamp if I were using a different color for some reason. Is that what you're asking?

No, I'm referring to cleaning it after stamping in, leaving it clean.
Reply to: #971923 by Stitches
Feb 22, 2019 4:18am
Thread Board

Honestly, I've been boxing for a while, and I've never heard of doing that, except under the two circumstances that LROSEM mentioned.
Reply to: #971923 by Stitches
Feb 22, 2019 5:14am
Thread Board

That's not a thing. I don't think it ever was. Why would you want the stamps cleaned?
Reply to: #971912 by LROSEM
Feb 22, 2019 5:37am
Thread Board
However, people leaving ink on a stamp has saved me when I forgot my ink a few times.

Yep. Huffing also brings me great joy when I'm too lazy to color a stamp!
Reply to: #971925 by Trailhead Tessie
Feb 22, 2019 5:42am
Thread Board
Why would you want the stamps cleaned?

Supposedly for the next person, as a courtesy. I got black ink on my blue ink pad once because I thought the stamp looked like it had blue on it. It was a cheap ink pad, so no big deal, but still

I don't remember where I read that stamps should be cleaned, but I DO remember reading it as one of letterboxing's rules.

If that isn't done anymore, I'm on board...after all, there are so many letterboxes and so little time!!!!! On to the next!!!!...
Reply to: #971919 by roo
Feb 22, 2019 5:51am
Thread Board
Thank you, roo! That's all I needed. It worked perfectly.
Reply to: #971920 by Kirbert
Feb 22, 2019 5:54am
Thread Board
I know...kind of crazy, right?

But I can only blame mudflinginfools and Teacup. I went to their Final Flight event in January and there were well over 400 traditional letterboxes. Wowza! Then letterboxing luck was with us...the weather was lovely and we were able to spend a couple of days looking for traditional finds in the area. It was a great way to start 2019, especially because we came home to the polar vortex and all the winter storms we've had in Michigan since.
Reply to: #971927 by Stitches
Feb 22, 2019 5:54am
Thread Board
I found this: http://www.letterboxing.info/articles/00000002.php

scroll down to "Paper towels, cotton rag". It talks about cleaning the stamp there.
Feb 22, 2019 6:02am
Thread Board
First; there are NO letterboxing rules. LOL.
Cleaning a stamp is not a requirement but a courtesy. It should be done if stamp looks dirty or messy in some way before or after you stamp but it is not expected every time. Save yourself some time and move on to the next gem to find. Happy boxing.
Feb 22, 2019 6:05am
Thread Board
I do have over 500 finds in 2019, so I'm guessing that's part of the problem.

Yes, that's definitely part of the problem. AQ just promises to return 500 boxes that match your search--it makes no guarantees about which 500 boxes.

The logbook works more like a search than an actual log.

-- Ryan
Feb 22, 2019 6:06am
Thread Board
I do both.

If a stamp is consistently stamped in the same color (i.e. black), then, in my mind, there is no need to clean it before or after.

If a stamp calls for color, I try to respect the colors suggested. If I do that, I also feel the stamp doesn't need to be cleaned.

But I do clean a stamp BEFORE I stamp in if it's wet/dirty/etc. upon finding or if it's meant to be in a certain color(s) and has been stamped previously in another color(s). I clean a stamp AFTER I stamp in if I've altered the suggested colors.

I think it's just a little bit of common sense and a little bit of letterbox courtesy.
Feb 22, 2019 6:06am
Thread Board
I got black ink on my blue ink pad once because I thought the stamp looked like it had blue on it.

Been there, done that...I typically pat the stamp on a napkin or the clue before inking. Often stamps around here are covered in a very goopy black for whatever reason and I like color. I'll also pat the stamp after stamping, but typically don't wipe or clean it otherwise.

Sometimes, the layering of inks used by previous finders adds a cool effect!
Reply to: #971932 by Green Tortuga
Feb 22, 2019 6:09am
Thread Board
Ryan, thank you. I was hoping there would be a way for me to fix that, but que sera sera.

This tells me I am going to get to know spreadsheets much better. Learning something new is almost never a bad thing. Thank you, again.
Feb 22, 2019 6:10am
Thread Board
And, yes, the logbook is the actual log. No doubt about that.
Trade LTCs for Stamps?
Board: LTC: Trades and Trackers
Feb 22, 2019 6:42am
Thread Board
Now that we are back at it, I am trying to get our area planted pretty well. Does anybody have any stamps or series of stamps that you are not using and would be willing to send me?

I have LTCs from before we took our unplanned hiatus. Thus, they are at least several years old if not older, so maybe you do not have them yet.

I would be happy to trade my LTCs for your stamps. Please tell me what you have and how many LTCs you would like in exchange.

Thank you! ๐Ÿ˜
Re: Trade LTCs for Stamps?
Board: LTC: Trades and Trackers
Reply to: #971937 by RDHG
Feb 22, 2019 7:29am
Thread Board
I have tons of stamps from all the LTCs I've made. If you look in my LTC logbook and find anything you would like to plant, let me know and I'll see if I have the stamp. They are just sitting in my closet, might as well be used, only a handful of finders in my area, so it's not worth planting them here.
Re: Blatant Box Plug...
Board: State: California
Reply to: #971902 by wassamatta u
Feb 22, 2019 7:40am
Thread Board
That was a fun distraction amidst my remodeling mess even though I'll probably never get to CA.
Feb 22, 2019 7:59am
Thread Board
The logbook works more like a search than an actual log.

It's not a search engine. It's supposed to be a logbook. You changed it back again? The last time I looked at it it had the drop down menu with newest first, etc. Now its this search stuff again???

It's my logbook. If I want it to automatically show newest or oldest first I should have that choice in a drop down menu the way it has always been. It's worked. No reason to fix what was not broken.

My first 10 finds are now unlisted finds, then #11 is a box from last May. I've got five year old finds on the first page. Gawd. I don't need five year old finds on the first page.

It was never meant to function as a search engine. It's a logbook.