A Letterboxing Community

Search

Read Messages

Re: Host gifts
Board: LTC: Trades and Trackers
Reply to: #971811 by Wise Wanderer
Feb 19, 2019 7:11pm
Thread Board
Answering for myself, yes under the reusable label. It’s quite a surprise to rip off the label and have presents fall out!!! Good times. πŸ˜„
Re: Why hide plants?
Board: Letterbox Chatter
Reply to: #971606 by Fantastic Mrs. Fox
Feb 19, 2019 11:19pm
Thread Board
no state park in texas allows letterboxes without a permit. Which is a very very lengthy process...

and thus, Renegades.
Re: Pre-TALE gathering
Board: State: Texas
Reply to: #971617 by NLW
Feb 19, 2019 11:24pm
Thread Board
Yeah, but now he looks like Joan Rivers. And gets around about as well, too. I miss his serpentine.
You are Cordially Invited
Board: State: North Carolina
Feb 20, 2019 5:15am
Thread Board
I would like to extend the invitation to my fellow letterboxers to join the guys and me in the much needed activity of planting letterboxes though the Mooresville, NC, area (mainly because we need some local boxes to find).

😁 Hehe. 🀣
Reply to: #971721 by Linden Leaf
Feb 20, 2019 6:35am
Thread Board
I did my first inchie/quisps, but they weren't under the label. It was a bonus surprise for my players. :)

I was going to make another one for a different tracker, but I think my cat got ahold of the stamp. It is missing...
Re: Do you ever send markers or ink?
Board: Postals
Reply to: #971748 by BaliWho
Feb 20, 2019 7:12am
Thread Board
Send them in a baggie. :)

~Aurora
.... markerless
Re: Box Radar is Gone
Board: Box Radar
Reply to: #971796 by River Sol
Feb 20, 2019 7:13am
Thread Board
I really miss my box radar app. Bought a new phone and the app won't load on the new one.

~Aurora
Cow theme! Yay
Board: Yakking It Up
Feb 20, 2019 7:28am
Thread Board
This is Evil Cow Pie’s favorite theme so far!
Cool story too. Love it.

πŸ‚πŸ„πŸ‚πŸ¦™πŸ‚πŸ„πŸ‚πŸ„πŸ‚πŸ„πŸ‚πŸ„πŸ‚πŸ„
Re: Trekking to Indy
Board: State: Indiana
Reply to: #971792 by Trekkie Gal
Feb 20, 2019 7:30am
Thread Board
Just looked up the forecast, and it's supposed to rain.

Stay flexible--the rain could come earlier, later or not at all....

Love the crazy weather
Reply to: #971661 by LROSEM
Feb 20, 2019 7:52am
Thread Board
Back when I used bubble mailers I'd always include an extra card or something. The basic postage covered an extra ounce that was being wasted anyway and thickness didn't matter. Now that a bubble mailer costs $4 MORE than a flat mailer, I've switched over and I'm limited by weight and thickness/bumpy. I try to remember to add an extra few cards when I can.
Reply to: #971794 by Rocket Raider
Feb 20, 2019 9:47am
Thread Board
I had a couple people tell me that the bushes where the Benjamin box was planted had Abeen cut way back. I know some of the groundskeeper there know the boxes are there throughout the cemetery and usually don’t bother them. Benjamin may have accidentally been cut in half or something. But I will replace it.
Thank you so much for going to recommend my box to someone, that makes me feel good that I put it in a place that you enjoyed.
Re: Cow theme! Yay
Reply to: #971819 by DarkZen and Evil Cow Pie
Feb 20, 2019 10:34am
Thread Board
According to the song, Ollie was ready to create an Evil Cow Pie. ;)
Reply to: #971792 by Trekkie Gal
Feb 20, 2019 10:57am
Thread Board
Come down the 3rd week in March. We could meet up at CHC
Reply to: #971823 by dancingpecan
Feb 20, 2019 12:03pm
Thread Board
That's udderly ridiculous!!!!
More swaps (because it's snowing)
Feb 20, 2019 12:22pm
Board
I know there are a lot of trackers going on right now, but we're home on a snow day today so I had some time to post some ideas I've been thinking about. I hope you'll consider these. Thanks!

Another 5-for-5

Ohh, Shiny!
Gettysburg ?s
Board: State: Pennsylvania
Feb 20, 2019 12:28pm
Thread Board
Update: as of last night husband no longere wants to try to haul the trailer that far. so now we are looking for hotels, cabins, airbnb, etc.
Thanks,

Hi all,
We are wanting to take a tour of Gettysburg this summer and are curious about places to camp. We are hoping to bring our 22' trailer. iI will be our first time to take it on a road trip so we are a little nervous.

What are some good places to stay in the area?

Also, any must find boxes?

Anyone from the area?

We will have two days there, and I'm thinking they will all center around the battlefield. But I'm always good for a meetup.

Thanks a bunch!
New Search Adventure
Feb 20, 2019 12:34pm
Thread Board
Dear LB'ers:
I'm posting this message for our daughter. She has a search adventure perfect for the letter boxing community.

Are you looking for a new search adventure?
My name is Vicky, and I live in the Phoenix area and am involved in high altitude weather projects. We recently had one of our balloons land about 6 miles south of Ramah, NM. If you are willing to venture out and find it (we have the exact coordinates) we can send you a prepaid FEDEX label for you to send it back to us, and we will send you a small reward for your time and effort. Please contact me at lostweatherballoon@gmail.com if you are interested, or if you know someone else who might be. I can send you the coordinates if you are interested. Please let me know if you have any questions.
New Search Adventure
Board: State: New Mexico
Feb 20, 2019 12:37pm
Thread Board
Dear LBer's,
I'm posting this for our daughter who has a new search adventure perfect for letterboxers.
Are you looking for a new search adventure?
My name is Vicky, and I live in the Phoenix area and am involved in high altitude weather projects. We recently had one of our balloons land about 6 miles south of Ramah, NM. If you are willing to venture out and find it (we have the exact coordinates) we can send you a prepaid FEDEX label for you to send it back to us, and we will send you a small reward for your time and effort. Please contact me at lostweatherballoon@gmail.com if you are interested, or if you know someone else who might be. I can send you the coordinates if you are interested. Please let me know if you have any questions.
Re: Gettysburg ?s
Reply to: #971827 by photopam
Feb 20, 2019 12:47pm
Thread Board
Welcome to Pennsylvania in advance!

My daughter has a 35' camper and they camp at Artillery Ridge Campground.

There are a LOT of boxes in Gettysburg including many on the battlefield itself. They are very hard to get discretely because the battlefield is ALWAYS busy but if you are willing to take your time, you can get a nice selection. My favorite boxes not on the battlefield are Sunrise Soap Company and Postage Paid. Both of these are in unique stores and although discretion is needed, sneakiness is not. The staff is aware that both are there.

There is so much to do in Gettysburg that boxing may take a back seat!
Reply to: #971825 by shutterbug2012
Feb 20, 2019 1:09pm
Thread Board
That's udderly ridiculous!!!!

But it is very moo-ving!
Re: New Search Adventure
Reply to: #971829 by nedhead
Feb 20, 2019 1:22pm
Thread Board
You know...I looked into weather balloon flying and tracking and retrieving a few years back. They fly with a GPS unit and some sort of transmitter (ham radio, cell phone, etc) to report their position and altitude. They can reach 100,000 feet and drift downwind for miles depending on the winds aloft.

I would think geocachers would be a better fit to track down something with just a set of coordinates. Also, the last reported position might not be where the payload landed. It is probably the last location received as the package descended below the horizon of whatever was receiving the data.

Still, it sounds like a great challenge and I wish I was closer so that I could participate in the hunt.

Good luck!
Re: New Search Adventure
Reply to: #971832 by PI Joe
Feb 20, 2019 2:14pm
Thread Board
Yes, the geocaching group may be interested, but we are LBers and have found 2 such balloons for our daughter and had a great time. They do satellite tracking so the gps location is within feet of where the balloon actually came down. One was near Corona, New Mexico and the other near Eminence, MO. Great fun!
Reply to: #971830 by Janila
Feb 20, 2019 2:54pm
Thread Board
Thank you. I'll look into the campground.

There is so much to do in Gettysburg that boxing may take a back seat!

That's what I'm thinking, but I may need a battle break. ;)
We have a lot more stops on our list after this one!
Re: Plant a Beer Day 2019
Board: Event News and Planning
Reply to: #971778 by Johnsosaurus
Feb 20, 2019 2:55pm
Thread Board
Not sure where I’ll be in April this year, but I’m sure I’ll be able to find a good brew or two...and plant a box of course. 🍻
Reply to: #971827 by photopam
Feb 20, 2019 3:13pm
Thread Board
I don't know about places to camp today, but in '92 I stayed in fields nearby when they filmed parts of the movie "Gettysburg" on location (it's a story for another time..) Unfortunately I hadn't discovered 'boxing back then.

I can recommend taking the self-guided tour, you can do it at your own pace. You can tarry where and as you will, or move along more quickly as the sights (dis)interest you. You might even be able to grab a 'box or a few with planning.

Your Obd't Servant,
Connfederate
Belated Greetings ....
Feb 20, 2019 3:44pm
Board
Happy Love Your Pet Day!
Help?
Board: LTC: Tips, Questions, and Stuff
Feb 20, 2019 4:14pm
Thread Board
I'm working on a set of LTC's using Gesso and Gelatos. I used Versafine ink to stamp my image onto the card but them ink won't dry. They've been sitting for 3 hours and they are still wet. Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated!
Re: Help?
Board: LTC: Tips, Questions, and Stuff
Reply to: #971838 by 4 J's
Feb 20, 2019 4:23pm
Thread Board
I recently used gelatos on a card, and it behaves like watercolor in that it needs to "soak in" to the paper. If the paper is coated with gesso, the gelatos will remain on the surface and smear or smudge easily, along with anything you stamp on top of it. If possible, consider not using gesso underneath, add water when applying gelatos, and after they dry, stamp with Stazon (solvent ink). That process worked for me in a recent tracker. Good luck.
Re: You are Cordially Invited
Board: State: North Carolina
Reply to: #971815 by RDHG
Feb 20, 2019 4:50pm
Thread Board
On it!
Reply to: #971831 by DarkZen and Evil Cow Pie
Feb 20, 2019 4:54pm
Thread Board
Milking the subject a bit ??