A Letterboxing Community

Search

Read Messages

Re: Need some advice on using stencils
Board: LTC: Trades and Trackers
Reply to: #971735 by Angel and Demon
Feb 19, 2019 10:19am
Thread Board
I use distressed oxide ink with a round blender. I usually do a circlular motion or sometimes just a heavy up and down motion. One thing I also do is tape the stencil down on one side so it doesn't move while I am stenciling. When finished.. I just flip the stencil up.. Slide in new card... Flip stencil down and then stencil away.
Re: LTC Newbie
Reply to: #971733 by Astrophel
Feb 19, 2019 10:22am
Thread Board
I found when I first started that seeing some of them helped me in figuring out how to make them. I learn more thru visuals. Linden leaf has ltcs to share with you.
Blick Sale!
Board: Stamp Carving and Mounting
Feb 19, 2019 10:30am
Board
I'm not sure if it is still going on, but there was an online coupon for 20% off of your purchase and another 25% of orders of $35 (US Dollars). I was able to get 5 new blades w/ quick release handle (10 years later means I deserve new blades, right?) and a large pink stuff for $35 and free shipping. I feel like it was a pretty great deal! Just wanted to pass on if anyone could benefit, or if you wanted to tell me I was taken for a fool!

LOL,
Astrophel
Re: Trekking to Indy
Board: State: Indiana
Reply to: #971718 by Trekkie Gal
Feb 19, 2019 10:30am
Thread Board
I’m headed to Indpls.next month, my hometown.
Look up Crown Hill Cemetery, any of them are fun to find.
I will be replacing my Benjamin Harrison plant at C.H.C. while I’m there. Have a fun time.
Re: Hello Kitty HH
Board: Hitchhikers, Cooties, and Fleas
Reply to: #971749 by Wronghat
Feb 19, 2019 10:34am
Thread Board
It'll take a sec, but if you sort them by last found and see if the last known spot was a box you found, you'd be good. Even if you gave credit to the unknown, finding the original planter would be best. Happy Hunting! :)
Re: Words of wisdom
Board: Funny Pages
Reply to: #971757 by DarkZen and Evil Cow Pie
Feb 19, 2019 11:41am
Thread Board
Good judgement comes from experience.

And experience? Well, comes from poor judgement.

I wondered why you had such good judgment.

Old Blue
Reply to: #971718 by Trekkie Gal
Feb 19, 2019 12:11pm
Thread Board
Just looked up the forecast, and it's supposed to rain. That's a big nope from me! Guess I'll have to come down again some other time to hit Crown Hill.

TG
Re: Sky 2019
Board: State: Connecticut
Reply to: #971484 by Honeychyck
Feb 19, 2019 12:18pm
Thread Board
Honeychyck,
I live near Barn Island Wildlife Management Area, Stonington. The trails are very pretty, lots of great views of the ocean. But the trails are also packed with geocaches. I'm happy to walk with someone to keep your letterbox away from a geocache, if you like.

Also, these trails are heavily used for bird hunting. We have crossed paths with hunters several times. Please wear orange here. I think you will be good after march.

Puggle Mom
Reply to: #971786 by DeeCee
Feb 19, 2019 12:20pm
Thread Board
I was going to suggest the Benjamin Harrison one, but I guess maybe not. :( It was a good reason to find the cemetery's high point. The view there is very nice. I think there are still a couple others in that general area.

I would second the Paddle Your Own Canoe. The Cindarella selfie is also particularly fun. There is a nice mix of boxes to be found. There are several that don't give the exact section where they are found so you have to work a little harder, but they're good finds if you manage to figure them out.
Re: Summer swaps?
Reply to: #971772 by Linden Leaf
Feb 19, 2019 12:36pm
Thread Board
I am down! That would be a fun tracker!!
Re: Box Radar is Gone
Board: Box Radar
Reply to: #966722 by Angel and Demon
Feb 19, 2019 12:40pm
Thread Board
I think there must be a certificate validation needed.... I loaded the apk from wayback machine and upon registering AQ needed some sort of whois validation from boxradar.com to work. Above my pay grade, but maybe there's a workaround if someone reclaimed boxradar.com and with Aiphids permission renewed the registration data, or perhaps if someone is close to AQ admin, maybe they could waive the whois validation to work with the legacy Boxradar app.
Re: Do you ever send markers or ink?
Board: Postals
Reply to: #971748 by BaliWho
Feb 19, 2019 12:46pm
Thread Board
I've personally received postals with ink pads in it.. I didn't have a problem with it.. but I'd check with the members and host of the tracker, just to make sure they didn't mind..
Re: Need some advice on using stencils
Reply to: #971735 by Angel and Demon
Feb 19, 2019 1:11pm
Thread Board
Greenmountainhiker needs to join this conversation!
Re: Plant a Beer Day 2019
Board: Event News and Planning
Reply to: #971778 by Johnsosaurus
Feb 19, 2019 1:33pm
Thread Board
I've been waiting for this. I have two stamps carved and am trying to figure out where to plant.

Thanks!
Re: Plant a Beer Day 2019
Board: Event News and Planning
Reply to: #971778 by Johnsosaurus
Feb 19, 2019 2:26pm
Thread Board
I've not done much boxing in the last few years. Inexcusable, I know, but trying to get back in the loop. There are so many breweries near me now, so I shall try to contribute.

If we do cross paths though, there is still this: https://www.atlasquest.com/boxes/clue/?boxId=11001

And there is this if you prefer another local beverage: https://www.atlasquest.com/boxes/clue/?boxId=98550

Cheers!
Re: Sky 2019
Board: State: Connecticut
Reply to: #971793 by PuggleMom
Feb 19, 2019 2:46pm
Thread Board
Barn Island has already been claimed! As have Rocky Neck, Harkness, American Legion/Peoples Forests, and Dennis Hill! So--five down, and I have not claimed one yet. I will definitely do so by March 1. Also, if anyone wants to consider planting a bonus, that would be really awesome--the last few years, Trailhead Tessie has placed a WOM box at one of the sites, with clues available to those who planted part of the series and/or complete at least 10 of the hikes...
Reply to: #971792 by Trekkie Gal
Feb 19, 2019 3:35pm
Thread Board
If you plan another trip, I may be available to serve as a navigator around town.
Re: Host gifts
Reply to: #971700 by Oberon_Kenobi
Feb 19, 2019 4:33pm
Thread Board
what size are quisps? I looked in the glossary and it didn't state.
Reply to: #971805 by condo
Feb 19, 2019 4:37pm
Thread Board
I think they are smaller than a standard LTC and they can be whatever shape you want. That's what makes them super special :-)
Re: Words of wisdom
Board: Funny Pages
Reply to: #971791 by DoubleSaj and Old Blue
Feb 19, 2019 4:39pm
Thread Board
It’s so true. I’ve had plenty of practice working towards good judgement!

😄
Feb 19, 2019 5:15pm
Thread Board
I have on occasion sent markers or ink for postals that I wanted to ensure the right colors were used (with no issues). The ink/markers came back just as I sent them every time. If it doesn’t change the postage rate I don’t think it’s necessary to ask the group.
Reply to: #971715 by aMAZEing adventure frog
Feb 19, 2019 6:30pm
Thread Board
I put quisps under the labels on several LTC trades I did, but the quisps were never logged. So I stopped.
Reply to: #971805 by condo
Feb 19, 2019 6:44pm
Thread Board
Most of the ones I've seen are less than an inch square. Sometimes really tiny, but usually just smaller than trading card size.
Reply to: #971809 by Procyon
Feb 19, 2019 6:52pm
Thread Board
I put quisps under the labels on several LTC trades I did, but the quisps were never logged. So I stopped.

Were these re-usable (taped) envelopes where the host removes her address and your's is underneath? If not, they may not have realized there could be a fun surprise underneath. Also, even if the quisp is very small, write the AQ # on the back of it, to help the person find it and log it.
Reply to: #971811 by Wise Wanderer
Feb 19, 2019 7:11pm
Thread Board
Answering for myself, yes under the reusable label. It’s quite a surprise to rip off the label and have presents fall out!!! Good times. 😄
Re: Why hide plants?
Board: Letterbox Chatter
Reply to: #971606 by Fantastic Mrs. Fox
Feb 19, 2019 11:19pm
Thread Board
no state park in texas allows letterboxes without a permit. Which is a very very lengthy process...

and thus, Renegades.
Re: Pre-TALE gathering
Board: State: Texas
Reply to: #971617 by NLW
Feb 19, 2019 11:24pm
Thread Board
Yeah, but now he looks like Joan Rivers. And gets around about as well, too. I miss his serpentine.
You are Cordially Invited
Board: State: North Carolina
Feb 20, 2019 5:15am
Thread Board
I would like to extend the invitation to my fellow letterboxers to join the guys and me in the much needed activity of planting letterboxes though the Mooresville, NC, area (mainly because we need some local boxes to find).

😁 Hehe. 🤣
Reply to: #971721 by Linden Leaf
Feb 20, 2019 6:35am
Thread Board
I did my first inchie/quisps, but they weren't under the label. It was a bonus surprise for my players. :)

I was going to make another one for a different tracker, but I think my cat got ahold of the stamp. It is missing...
Feb 20, 2019 7:12am
Thread Board
Send them in a baggie. :)

~Aurora
.... markerless