A Letterboxing Community

Search

Read Messages

Re: Logbook Tweak
Board: Atlas Quest Announcements
Reply to: #971689 by Topcollector
Feb 18, 2019 7:16am
Thread Board
Strange. I see type of box and dates on my iPad. I haven’t gone on my computer yet to experiment.

I do know that if you have columns that are too narrow, sometimes the info in the columns will show as hash tags. Try increasing your spreadsheet column widths. If all that works out, you then should be able to sort by type of box, etc.
Re: Host gifts
Board: LTC: Trades and Trackers
Reply to: #971673 by Linden Leaf
Feb 18, 2019 7:24am
Thread Board
I was just thinking about this and how the last couple of swaps I did with you, I sent an extra card or two, but you did not log the extras. Do you add the extras to your gifts for newbie stash? Are you not interested in logging cards that aren’t in swaps for some reason? Do you not want extras??
Re: board messages
Reply to: #971703 by JampersandJ
Feb 18, 2019 7:50am
Thread Board
I have My Newest Posts and Replies to My Messages widgets on My Page.

Oh, I'll go look for it now. :)

Update: found the My newest posts
Did not find replies to my messages...

Hmmm.............
Reply to: #971697 by photopam
Feb 18, 2019 7:59am
Thread Board
I liked checking the Boards page to see if there were replies to any of my messages and to see if anyone had clicked funny, agree, interesting, etc. on my messages.... Perhaps a widget is in order?

There are widgets that do both of those things already, but the one that displays if there were replies to your messages is a premium member perk. The one with who has clicked funny, agree, interesting, etc. is available for everyone, though.

As for replies to you posts, I felt it was okay to leave that widget as a premium member perk because it's possible to run a search that does this whose results can be bookmarked or have notifications sent to one's AQ mail.

-- Ryan
Re: Unlisted finds
Reply to: #971685 by SherlockMiles
Feb 18, 2019 8:02am
Thread Board
Having "unlisted" as a filter type on the profile page would be great!

I'm not sure what you mean. There's already options to download your "unlisted finds" and "unlisted attempts" along with the other options.

-- Ryan
Reply to: #971707 by Green Tortuga
Feb 18, 2019 8:02am
Thread Board
the one that displays if there were replies to your messages is a premium member perk

That explains why I'm not seeing it. So I'm not crazy after all.... ;)
Reply to: #971705 by hartwolfzell
Feb 18, 2019 8:03am
Thread Board
Which cards? Normally I log the cards that are Hostess gifts after the swap is sorted. And I guess there are times that I don't log the cards at all? I went looking at the cards that I have in my book that are yours that I might not have logged. There's the 3D one that was given to me last year I think? And then the cat Newk card is for a swap that has yet to be sorted. Are there more? Sigh...Because I tried to keep up on logging cards and I'm sorry to have missed more!!

But to answer your questions: I love extras. I try to log cards that have been given to me. I think leaving comments on cards is important. I don't normally add gifted cards or any cards that are given/swapped to me to the Newbie stash unless for some odd reason they aren't a subject matter that enjoy. If I add cards to the Newbie stash it's normally because I have an extra one.
Re: Logbook Tweak
Reply to: #971704 by JampersandJ
Feb 18, 2019 8:24am
Thread Board
I really, really hate to say anything that sounds like a complaint because this web site is a fantastic service for a ridiculously low price (even for premium membership), and we appreciate it so much.

I do, however, find it a bit frustrating to have to export logbook items to a spreadsheet to be able to view them all as we could before the big change.

Items in my logbook are numbered in Safari on my iPhone and iPad, but not on my MacBook Air, even though all are using Safari. No amount of refreshing the page on the Mac has changed that. Weird...

Thanks, GT, for all you do to keep AQ running smoothly.
Reply to: #971710 by Linden Leaf
Feb 18, 2019 8:26am
Thread Board
OK, thanks! I guess it was just those two cards. I haven't done many swaps lately. I super appreciate that you leave such thoughtful comments for each card! I love getting extras when I host. Hopefully I can host another swap again soon. Thanks!!
Reply to: #971699 by photopam
Feb 18, 2019 8:36am
Thread Board
and gift cards are flat and light weight...just sayin. ;)
Reply to: #971708 by Green Tortuga
Feb 18, 2019 8:39am
Thread Board
When I click on My Profile and then click on my Finds number , I get a listing of all of my finds. What I naively had in my mind was an entry under "Box Type" at the top of the page that was "Unlisted".

The download my unlisted finds or attempts - is this using Advanced Search?

Feel free to ignore comment chain as well.....
Reply to: #971702 by DarkZen and Evil Cow Pie
Feb 18, 2019 8:39am
Thread Board
I'd be super happy with dog-eared corners and the trail name on the envelope and cards. I am a little sad when I pull off the mailing label and there is no surprise underneath.
:^(
sniffle, sniffle
Reply to: #971710 by Linden Leaf
Feb 18, 2019 8:41am
Thread Board
I don't log cards in a timely fashion but when I do, I make a genuine comment about each card 95% of time.
Reply to: #971714 by SherlockMiles
Feb 18, 2019 8:52am
Thread Board
What I naively had in my mind was an entry under "Box Type" at the top of the page that was "Unlisted".

It's not actually a box "type," though. Even unlisted boxes can be categorized as traditional finds, postals, LTCs, etc. For this to work, I'd have to add another option to distinguish between listed boxes, unlisted boxes and both types of boxes.

The download my unlisted finds or attempts - is this using Advanced Search?

No, the links are at the end of your profile page. These links aren't actually "searches" (which can be very slow). Instead, they're largely just data dumps of the AQ database. Each of the links dumps the relevant data from a different table in the database.

-- Ryan
Trekking to Indy
Board: State: Indiana
Feb 18, 2019 9:44am
Thread Board
Hi all!

I'm going to be venturing down to Indy this Saturday to go to the Star Trek exhibit at the Children's Museum. (Raise your hand if you're not surprised.) I noticed that the museum is less than 2 miles from Crown Hill. I'd like to pick up a few boxes there if I can, but I'm not sure of the conditions - snow, ice, mud, etc. Any insight about that, and also any recommended boxes, would be appreciated.

TG
Reply to: #971717 by Green Tortuga
Feb 18, 2019 9:44am
Thread Board
Thank you for this helpful info and your patience with us unsophisticated users.
Reply to: #971717 by Green Tortuga
Feb 18, 2019 9:52am
Thread Board
Maybe there needs to be "Ticker" across the AQ page stating these importent changes!😜🙂💁🏼
Reply to: #971715 by aMAZEing adventure frog
Feb 18, 2019 10:17am
Thread Board
Me too. It is gift enough to recieve easy envelopes!

I've been missing quisps under labels. This past week I carved over 20 new quisp stamps. Get ready!!
wishful thinkin
Board: Look at Me! Look At You!
Feb 18, 2019 10:52am
Thread Board
Happy Happy AQversary toooo yoooouuu!
Re: wishful thinkin
Reply to: #971722 by jlsd0218
Feb 18, 2019 11:26am
Thread Board
Happy AQ Anniversary to you Wishful! Keep in touch for more boxing adventures!
Reply to: #971661 by LROSEM
Feb 18, 2019 12:01pm
Thread Board
I just wanted to remind people that when you join an LTC tracker, although not necessary, a host(ess) gift is always a nice touch

I used to do artists card swaps, and the hosts almost always noted in their swap rules that gifts were appreciated (although optional).

So when I first started doing LTCs, I sent hostess gifts a few times but got comments like “What is this?” and “Why did you send me this?”, so I felt like I had done something inappropriate (I will admit that I did not send cards, I sent paper samples, some plastic sleeves, and small craft items because I rarely make extra LTCs — I have a hard enough time making 9 or 12 cards).

This is the first time I have heard that LTC swap hosts expect gifts — I am surprised and embarrassed that I have not been including gifts when I join a swap :-(

So I would like to suggest that when listing a tracker, hosts state that gifts are appreciated — how else are newbies supposed to know these things??
Re: Event, Anyone?
Board: State: Oklahoma
Reply to: #971173 by Astrophel
Feb 18, 2019 12:29pm
Thread Board
I am here in Oklahoma and would love to help with an event. I have been boxing with my family for years and recently started my own account. Please AQ message me any way I can help. It will be cool to connect with some okie boxers.
Re: Event, Anyone?
Board: State: Oklahoma
Reply to: #971728 by Stanley who is Flat
Feb 18, 2019 1:02pm
Thread Board
Sounds great!
I'm trying to think on themes now. I'm thinking maybe early fall and something a little bit west of Tulsa so more of the state can be involved (I'm in Tulsa). I'm happy to have as many help as possible. I feel like we have a bit of a desert on boxes in this state, and I'd love to change that! Thanks so much for reaching out :)
Reply to: #971726 by Yaateeh
Feb 18, 2019 1:04pm
Thread Board
Dont be embarrassed. Gifts are NOT expected. If they were then they wouldn't be gifts or little surprises.

Out of a 12-18 participant swap, on average, I will have 0-2 participants send an extra ltc. It is by no means a norm.

I guess if hosts start posting the fact that they need a gift then chances are I'm not going to join that swap. All I expect from my participants is that they get the cards to me on time and make their return envelopes according to the rule.
Reply to: #971661 by LROSEM
Feb 18, 2019 1:17pm
Thread Board
I haven't hosted in quite some time. I remember when I started hosting that close to half of participants would send an extra LTC or so. It was fun to get surprises.

I had heard from a couple people that are still hosting that they weren't getting any extras. I thought that was sad. When I used to host, I would also send extras out when returning the envelopes too. When I didn't have any extra cards for people, I assumed that was okay too.
Re: wishful thinkin
Reply to: #971722 by jlsd0218
Feb 18, 2019 1:35pm
Thread Board
Thank you! I'm so glad to be a part of this wonderful hobby!
LTC Newbie
Feb 18, 2019 1:43pm
Thread Board
I am interested in better understanding how LTCs work. I have been checking out the help and message boards, and I feel like I'm not totally getting it as a process. Is there anywhere y'all would suggest that I look to research some more on how LTCs work and how to make them/host them?
It's important to note that while I have been LBing for awhile now, it's only been in the last 6 months that I have looked into different kinds of LBs other than traditional boxes. I also don't totally understand technology, so I find pages on here with info and think I understand; then when I go back to try and reprocess something, I can't find it (totally user error). For instance, I once found a page for newbie LTCs, but now don't know how I found it or where it is (I find rabbit holes often and don't mark my trail!). Any advice would be welcomed- Thanks so much in advance!

Astrophel
Re: LTC Newbie
Reply to: #971733 by Astrophel
Feb 18, 2019 1:59pm
Thread Board
I am interested in better understanding how LTCs work.

Linden Leaf is the person to contact - she has a ton of information as well as sample cards, for anyone getting started in the LTC world. Welcome!!
Need some advice on using stencils
Feb 18, 2019 2:01pm
Thread Board
I've never had much luck using stencils to create a background design for a card. If you have, what ink did you use and how did you apply it?
Re: Need some advice on using stencils
Reply to: #971735 by Angel and Demon
Feb 18, 2019 2:10pm
Thread Board
I use distress ink and a round applicator. Apply in a circular motion.