A Letterboxing Community

Search

Read Messages

Re: Error message when I try to view a profile
Board: Letterboxing Help Desk
Reply to: #971511 by Rocklun
Feb 15, 2019 7:21pm
Thread Board
I can open my own profile, but no one else's.
Re: My Logbook Finds - alphabetically
Reply to: #971498 by Trailhead Tessie
Feb 15, 2019 8:09pm
Thread Board
Correct me if I'm wrong, but it sounds like most of the complaints about this update are people wanting to search for a specific box--and now they have to search through several pages to find it in the logbook?

Two brief comments about that:

• The logbook was never designed for searching and I have no intention of turning it into a full-fledged search engine. The search page is optimized for searching. I have absolutely no desire to create a second search engine that duplicates the functionality of the first one. You can search for boxes based on who found the box, who planted the box, where the box was located, etc.

• For people with hundreds of finds, you've always had to search multiple pages to find a specific listing. AQ only listed a maximum of 100 results per page. Previously, the pages were numbered 1, 2, 3, etc. Now the pages are numbered 2019, 2018, 2017, etc. They're just page numbers with a different dress.

For the most part, if someone wants to look up all of the finds from a specific person, I'd recommend running an actual search and let AQ find the boxes for you rather than looking through a logbook and having to do the work yourself.

-- Ryan
Reply to: #971499 by Topcollector
Feb 15, 2019 8:09pm
Thread Board
To answer specific questions and comments people have:

now I can't easily see my LTC count from my logbook

You can look this up in your profile.

-- Ryan
Reply to: #971501 by Topcollector
Feb 15, 2019 8:15pm
Thread Board
I did that and it worked, kind of. It shows 957 finds, but I'm sure I have over 2,000

Keep in mind that the search page puts all boxes from a series in a single line. When I ran a search for all of your finds, it included results such as "All About Indiana (29)." That 29 means there were 29 boxes in that series that match your search--i.e. 29 finds.

If you counted up all of your finds (including those numbers in parenthesis), it should get your actual F-count.

You can confidently tell people that you recorded finds on 957 individual series, though. =)

-- Ryan
Reply to: #971504 by paper trail
Feb 15, 2019 8:15pm
Thread Board
Yes, when I go to the My Profile page, and click on the various numbers for Finds, Plants, Attempts, etc, other options come up.

Sorry about that. Bug in the code. Should be fixed now!

-- Ryan
What do you use to mount a stamp?
Board: Stamp Carving and Mounting
Feb 15, 2019 8:18pm
Thread Board
It have a stamp that is on the larger side, almost four inches. It has a piece that sticks out and that I am concerned may be broken if someone is careless. What is something that I can use to mount this stamp that will be firm and not curl?

TIA for any helpful suggestions. 🙂
Reply to: #971509 by Trailhead Tessie
Feb 15, 2019 8:21pm
Thread Board
It assumes I know the location.
I have to wade through listings of boxes I haven't found.
I just want to browse and search ONLY my finds or ONLY my plants.

I think you're mixing up the "location-based search" with the "basic search." The basic search doesn't require a location and allows you to search for boxes you planted.

Searching for your finds would require the advanced search option. (Although, admittedly, it will not include unlisted finds. Still need to implement that option.)

-- Ryan
Reply to: #971511 by Rocklun
Feb 15, 2019 8:21pm
Thread Board
I tried to go to someone's profile page to look up a box, but I got the following error:

Sorry about that! Should be fixed now!

-- Ryan
Re: What do you use to mount a stamp?
Reply to: #971521 by RDHG
Feb 15, 2019 8:22pm
Thread Board
I like foam board.
Feb 15, 2019 8:43pm
Thread Board
I use thick foam I get at Michaels. You can also get it on Stampeaz
Feb 15, 2019 8:53pm
Thread Board
Our puppy started to chew on our signature stamp. I glued thick foam to the back then glued a heavy piece of plexiglas behind it.
Reply to: #971523 by Green Tortuga
Feb 16, 2019 12:39am
Thread Board
Thanks for fixing this so quickly, Ryan!! 😊
Reply to: #971522 by Green Tortuga
Feb 16, 2019 1:13am
Thread Board
I think you're mixing up the "location-based search" with the "basic search." ... (Although, admittedly, it will not include unlisted finds. Still need to implement that option.)

I am not sure if this is what you are talking about, but I would love to have a field for location when creating a listing for an unlisted find [premium member feature].
Re: Atlanta Area Letterbox recommendations
Board: State: Georgia
Reply to: #971289 by Road Junkies
Feb 16, 2019 1:58am
Thread Board
...Atlanta’s most famous greasy spoon.

Hah! I lived about 100 feet from that place in the fall of 1973, for about three months. Loved that place, ate a LOT of meals there!
updates on AQ
Board: State: Connecticut
Feb 16, 2019 2:47am
Thread Board
I seem to have lost my numbers on my logbook finds. Has this happened to everyone?
Re: updates on AQ
Reply to: #971530 by burning feet
Feb 16, 2019 3:43am
Thread Board
I can see your totals on your profile page.
On your log page I can use the dropdown menu by year to see that in your first year you logged 240 boxes.
Reply to: #971531 by Grrly Girl
Feb 16, 2019 3:55am
Thread Board
When i pull up my finds they are not numbered
Reply to: #971520 by Green Tortuga
Feb 16, 2019 4:04am
Thread Board
Thanks so much!
Reply to: #971532 by burning feet
Feb 16, 2019 4:18am
Thread Board
I see what you mean—seems to be a feature of the last upgrade of the site? Is it just a mobile thing? Haven’t been on the computer in a few days.
Feb 16, 2019 4:58am
Thread Board
I use wood. I saw and sand a square of wood and mount it on that with super glue or the like. I just got some nice skinny pieces at Home Depot (because I'd used up all my scraps in the garage and the remaining wood was too thick). ;)
Reply to: #971532 by burning feet
Feb 16, 2019 5:17am
Thread Board
Mine, too. I like them numbered. I also can no longer list all of my finds alphabetically, only th first 500. 😕
Why hide plants?
Board: Letterbox Chatter
Feb 16, 2019 5:19am
Thread Board
I am curious why some people hide their plants on their profile page. Since you want people to see your plants, it strikes me as odd. There must be a reason, though, eh? 😉
Re: Why hide plants?
Reply to: #971537 by RDHG
Feb 16, 2019 5:48am
Thread Board
Agreed! When I find a stamp I really like, I like to “follow” that carver, find their other artwork and get disappointed when I can’t access that info easily through their page.
Reply to: #971535 by Basset Mom
Feb 16, 2019 6:02am
Thread Board
I have mounted small stamps on wood, too! But you have to be careful with bigger stamps, the thickness of whatever glue you're using can make it lumpy underneath, and then it won't stamp evenly. Be sure your glue is even.
Reply to: #971536 by RDHG
Feb 16, 2019 6:06am
Thread Board
I do miss the numbers, a lot, but it's neat being able to see the totals of each year to compare with each other.
Reply to: #971540 by Topcollector
Feb 16, 2019 6:09am
Thread Board
Yes, the year thing is cool, but not being able to see the finds for the back half of the alphabet, that’s a problem.
Reply to: #971541 by Sheba
Feb 16, 2019 6:18am
Thread Board
I agree.

I notice that responses to each person's comments now also go into their mailbox. And as I type this response, I see that the message I'm responding to is on my screen with a tip for quoting the message. That's pretty neat.
Re: Welcome to the Current Big Update!
Board: Atlas Quest Announcements
Reply to: #971052 by Green Tortuga
Feb 16, 2019 6:24am
Thread Board
Don’t know if it’s a feature of this update or if I just hadn’t noticed it until now... but when I try to look at my finds alphabetically, I can only see the first 500. How do I access the back half of the alphabet?
Re: Why hide plants?
Reply to: #971537 by RDHG
Feb 16, 2019 6:37am
Thread Board
Sometimes, there is someone we don't want to see our movements, therefore, we make our logbooks private.

Not all letterboxers are in it for the boxing, some are a wee stalkery, which is sad.
Feb 16, 2019 6:40am
Thread Board
definitely foam. tried wood, but I found, particularly with firmer material, that the image frequently had gaps in the image transferred to the paper.