A Letterboxing Community

Search

Read Messages

Re: Lock & Locks or...?
Board: Letterbox Chatter
Reply to: #971406 by RDHG
Feb 13, 2019 5:39pm
Thread Board
If you have a Dollar Tree near any of you, we have found containers that are very hard plastic with flip up clasps. They sell in packages of 2 (and sometimes 3) for $1. This price of 2 for $1 makes them very affordable and they are very durable. Usually they are in their seasonal area and not where most of the Tupperware knock offs are.
Re: Sad...Linden Leaf
Board: LTC: Trades and Trackers
Reply to: #971419 by Linden Leaf
Feb 13, 2019 5:44pm
Thread Board
Forgive me, but I could not decipher your side note. 😉
The Taking of K-129
Board: Reading Room
Feb 13, 2019 5:54pm
Thread Board
So I just finished reading The Taking of K-129: How the CIA Used Howard Hughes to Steal a Russian Sub in the Most Daring Covert Operation in History. It's a non-fiction account of a very real CIA operation to grab a Russian sub in the early 1970s. I'd never heard of this before--although the operation had been outed decades ago. But to be fair, I was a newborn when the event was made public and didn't watch the news much back then.

Anyhow, as much as I enjoy historical stories, they can still sometimes be dry with unnecessary details or large period of times when nothing really happens, but this one absolutely sucked me in. It reads like a script of a Hollywood spy movie. Absolutely engrossing, close calls, and an engineering marvel.

If you like historical stories (I'm talking to you, Old Blue!), you'll love this one. It's absolutely awesome. *nodding*

-- Ryan
Reply to: #971422 by RDHG
Feb 13, 2019 5:57pm
Thread Board
Ack!! Ok. Do you like your carvings?
Re: Sad...
Reply to: #971420 by The Vs
Feb 13, 2019 5:59pm
Thread Board
Ooh...the V's...I'm your facebook friend. I could entice you with a photograph....muhahahaha!!
Reply to: #971424 by Linden Leaf
Feb 13, 2019 6:02pm
Thread Board
Aah. I am pleased with some of my carvings, and I feel like a novice with others. I have no confidence carving people, and I feel like I cannot find a gouge narrow enough for some details.
Reply to: #971418 by RDHG
Feb 13, 2019 6:52pm
Thread Board
Honestly, I feel intimidated sometimes, but it's something in me.
Words of encouragement. ... your art should make you happy. Find your joy not in comparison to others, but something you created that means something to you. I bet they are great!
This is the most helpful, encouraging group of people. Everyone is so supportive & shares tips & techniques.
Reply to: #971426 by RDHG
Feb 13, 2019 7:09pm
Thread Board
Oh ok. I don't know if anyone is really ever satisfied with a their details. It seems it's a natural tendency to push ourselves at times to carve more detail than some of our previous stamps. But at least you are pleased with some of your stamps. Otherwise it would be discouraging!!
Reply to: #971425 by Linden Leaf
Feb 13, 2019 7:57pm
Thread Board
Nope. No. Not gonna look! I always think my cards look like a kindergartner made the compared to the amazing things you all create!!
Reply to: #971429 by The Vs
Feb 13, 2019 8:06pm
Thread Board
Well if that's what you think(which is totally not a true interpretation)...then I will tell you that I like kindergarten artwork and would love to see it in my queens swap.
Re: The Taking of K-129
Board: Reading Room
Reply to: #971423 by Green Tortuga
Feb 13, 2019 9:21pm
Thread Board
I saw a PBS show about this. I'm sure that the book has many more details, as books almost always do.
Reply to: #971421 by TeachJR
Feb 13, 2019 9:22pm
Thread Board
If you have a Dollar Tree near any of you, we have found containers that are very hard plastic with flip up clasps.

Bought a bunch of those, had to throw them out. The seal is made of something that rots to pieces within a couple of years in the wild.
Reply to: #971406 by RDHG
Feb 14, 2019 1:23am
Thread Board
I searched and found that someone recommended Sistema, which seems inexpensive. Have any of you tried them, and did they hold up to moisture?
Re: How long does it take you?
Board: Stamp Carving and Mounting
Reply to: #971322 by RDHG
Feb 14, 2019 1:27am
Thread Board
I don’t really time myself, because I feel that if I do then it would depress me and maybe make it harder to find motivation to start. I just kind of wait for an open night when my health is good enough, enjoy the process, and binge-carve until I am done. It has given me many opportunites to see the sun rise! :P I am working on a series right now that has messed up my sleep schedule. Based on that, I think the stamps have been about 9hrs from when I start the transferring process to end. I tend to not take breaks and hyperfocus (the one good symptom of ADHD).

My transferring method is slow (pencil on tracing, rub, go over with fine marker, wash pencil off, mustard ink), but I feel it gives me better flexibility on customizations, etc. I use the pink stuff, so that is quicker from what I am reading here. I am mostly a knife carver, but use gouges for cetain thing and find many of my stamps now use both (but in that case it just tends to be use of the 1V Miniturized for shading). So really, there are ways to speed up my carving, but the #11 knife gives me the results I want for what I am going for. I keep trying to do gouges where I can, but I don’t like them for the insides of corners and such. Also, I prefer to feel like a surgeon. ;)
Reply to: #971435 by AlishaMisha
Feb 14, 2019 1:57am
Thread Board
What is mustard ink?

I only know how to use gouges. When you use a knife, do you cut from multiple angles to get the rubber out?
Reply to: #971436 by RDHG
Feb 14, 2019 2:17am
Thread Board
Sorry, I was being short with my wording. I use Staz-on in the color of mustard to seal my marker lines in and see what I am carving away. I press my stamp onto a paper towel several times to get the excess off.

Yeah, so say you are looking at the rubber from the thin side. Imagine the * is a black line or something. Another words, I am not carving that part away. I angle my knife like this on each side of it to give the black line better structure (or “supporting rubber”): /*\ Then I go in again at another angle to get the rubber out, so like this: \ /*\ / I also stab the loose rubber with the tip of the knife to lift it out of the stamp and use my pinky to flick it off into a small “lock-n-lock” type container I keep (to make less mess).

Did any of that make sense or was it completely confusing?
Re: Mystery Postal #OK2019A
Board: Postals
Reply to: #971398 by Oberon_Kenobi
Feb 14, 2019 2:49am
Thread Board
This is the second to last (penultimate) clue. The tracker is technically full, but I want to finish my clues since I'm so close.

Clue 15: Sagan
Reply to: #971434 by RDHG
Feb 14, 2019 4:13am
Thread Board
I live in the desert so can’t really answer to moisture question. However, sistema has a real hinge going in its favor instead of the creased flap that lnl’s had and break quickly (in letterbox time). I know Kurious Jo and woodaug from Washington state have gone to sistema.
Reply to: #971434 by RDHG
Feb 14, 2019 5:00am
Thread Board
We've had decent success with Sistema here in Florida. I pick them up at TJMaxx for $1.99 for the small 2 flap container. Is the perfect size for a single backed stamp and a logbook.
I wash the containers in soap and water a couple of times and they accept a good spray coat of paint fairly well except for the clasps which inevitably the paint will peel and crack off.
Reply to: #971440 by Three FLAmigo's
Feb 14, 2019 5:52am
Thread Board
Seconding Sistema. We get ours at Target. We’ve had some that have been out for years and are still going strong.

https://tinyurl.com/yxehc769
Reply to: #971429 by The Vs
Feb 14, 2019 6:21am
Thread Board
I know I'm late to this party but I just wanted to say that often times I feel the same as you. I join LTC trackers because I enjoy the time I spend on them even when they look like juvenile art compared to others. I've learned not to compare myself to the LTC masters and just do what brings me joy.
Reply to: #971439 by Baqash
Feb 14, 2019 6:36am
Thread Board
Maybe I will try some Sistema locally so that I can keep an eye on them with the spring rains.
Reply to: #971417 by Linden Leaf
Feb 14, 2019 8:19am
Thread Board
OK, I will join, and will try something new (to me). Will this be a wonderful card? Oh, dear ~ no promises!
Reply to: #971443 by RDHG
Feb 14, 2019 10:46am
Thread Board
If you have a Home Goods in your area, that's a good place to look for Sistema containers, as well as other similar lesser known brands that might work. There's generally a place in the kitchenware area that has a jumble of plastic storage containers for sale, and sometimes you can get good deals on sets of multiples.

For those of you who have the Korean grocery store H-Mart in their area, they also carry Lock N Lock type containers at pretty good prices. I've put some of those in the field and so far so good. I can't name the specific brand because the labels are in Korean which I can't read, unfortunately.
Reply to: #971417 by Linden Leaf
Feb 14, 2019 10:50am
Thread Board
Don't tempt me like this! You know I always enjoy your trackers! Your cards are always wonderful!

::Must stay strong..::
::Already working on cards for another tracker::
::Must stay strong::
::But this tracker is due before the other one::
::Must stay strong..::
Letterboxing Class?
Feb 14, 2019 10:51am
Thread Board
There are few letterboxers in our area. I am toying with the idea of offering a class in our local area about this fun, outdoor, scavenger hunt, hiking game. I have posted and have gotten interest based on that description. Now I am wondering what are your thoughts, Fellow Boxers.

My hesitations are based on if people are sloppy, not respectful of boxes or surroundings, or not discreet.

Have you ever done a class to share the hobby in an attempt to grow participation in your area? If so, how did you spread the word, and how do you feel it went? If not, what are your thoughts on the idea?
Re: Help with listing an event time
Board: Atlas Quest Announcements
Reply to: #971329 by Cross Family
Feb 14, 2019 10:55am
Thread Board
Reply to: #971446 by Only Dreaming
Feb 14, 2019 10:56am
Thread Board
No. You are weak. You have no self control.
Re: Letterboxing Class?
Reply to: #971447 by RDHG
Feb 14, 2019 11:39am
Thread Board
I have taught a few letterboxing classes to girl scout troops and college students - we always start by talking about some of the very important concepts - including respect for nature, respect for personal property, safety, secrecy, etc. It's gone well.

You could start there - let them know that if letterboxes are not discreet/respectful, this awesome adventure could die out. Ask them how they would feel if they worked really hard on a beautiful stamp and then because someone was lazy and didn't properly hide it, someone mistook it for trash and tossed it out.

Overall - the people interested in coming to a workshop on letterboxing will understand the reasons to stress these important points.

Spread the passion and pass on letterboxing traditions! New boxers = new boxes for us all!
Re: Letterboxing Class?
Reply to: #971450 by Super Hedge Hoggie
Feb 14, 2019 11:46am
Thread Board
Thank you for sharing your feedback on the topic. Maybe I am a bit nervous about losing boxes that I am just planting, but what can I do, right?

I definitely agree with that last statement. Also, now that we are back at it, I am reminded that we were the main people planting around here. It would be nice to have some more folks planting around here so that we can hunt, too, without having to go far. 😉 LOL.