A Letterboxing Community

Search

Read Messages

Re: How long does it take you?
Board: Stamp Carving and Mounting
Reply to: #971359 by Kirbert
Feb 13, 2019 9:14am
Thread Board
... they'd end up carving more stamps and hence we'd have more boxes to hunt!

You misspelled "hence have a taller pile of Lock-and-Locks that need to be planted."
Re: Pre-TALE gathering
Board: State: Texas
Reply to: #971231 by Wry Me
Feb 13, 2019 9:22am
Thread Board
Fun Fun!!!
Lock & Locks or...?
Board: Letterbox Chatter
Feb 13, 2019 11:00am
Thread Board
Does anybody remember when we could buy LnLs directly from the company in bulk for around $1.25 each? Wow, they are expensive now. Does anybody know a more affordable outlet for buying LnLs, or have you discovered a container that is just as water tight and more coat effective?
Re: Lock & Locks or...?
Reply to: #971406 by RDHG
Feb 13, 2019 11:44am
Thread Board
I use Freshness Keepers from Ocean State Job Lot, a LnL knockoff.

Warrior Woman
frugal
Reply to: #971231 by Wry Me
Feb 13, 2019 11:55am
Thread Board
I finally got around to listing the Pre-TALE dinner event. Please come enjoy the small but elegant menu choices. There are GR options and for those inclined, craft beer brewed on location.

Sheesh. No one was going to ask me what the GR option was? It's the Guns 'n' Roses platter. It shows up 45 minutes late, then passes out under the table.

I meant GF. Gluten. Free.
Re: Raisin' 'em right
Reply to: #970629 by Wry Me
Feb 13, 2019 12:00pm
Thread Board
OK, so the down side of getting my beloved fomites involved in this hobby is when they come to you first thing in the morning and say, "Did you really make your reservations using your trail name?" in reference to something you posted, and you immediately think, "Oh, $#!+ crap. What else did I say?" Would you like coffee with your heart attack this morning?
Reply to: #971407 by Warrior Woman
Feb 13, 2019 12:03pm
Thread Board
sadly, of the three OSJL's I recently went to here in MA (NW of Boston), only one still had any FK's, and it looked like they were phasing them out at that.

One of the stores instead was selling a box called 'think Fresh' instead... it markets with a 'silicone seal' on the label, but the flaps lift UP, not DOWN.

I hope they work as well as the FKs, cuz the FKs I've had in the field have held up well for years now.
Reply to: #971408 by Wry Me
Feb 13, 2019 12:26pm
Thread Board
Ha ha. I just figured it was Gluten something, like maybe "Gluten Restricted." I LOVE gluten and eat it every chance I get, so I wasn't concerned enough to ask. :)
Reply to: #971408 by Wry Me
Feb 13, 2019 1:05pm
Thread Board
As John Pinette used to say - I don't know what gluten is but it must be delicious because every time they take it out of something good to eat you might as well be eating the box it came in!
Reply to: #971407 by Warrior Woman
Feb 13, 2019 1:15pm
Thread Board
Ah, we do not have those stores in North Carolina. Thank you for the tip, though. I did try Google to no avail.
Come Fly a Kite Event
Board: Event News and Planning
Feb 13, 2019 2:34pm
Thread Board
As always, we host a summer event that's called "Come Fly a Kite". With several events going on in the New England area for July and August, we will not be having it this year. We will plan on having it again in 2020.

Ray and Susan
Happydaze
Re: Come Fly a Kite Event
Reply to: #971414 by Happy Daze
Feb 13, 2019 2:46pm
Thread Board
*super sad face*

but thanks for letting us know. I can now plan around that information. thank you.
Re: Come Fly a Kite Event
Reply to: #971414 by Happy Daze
Feb 13, 2019 3:29pm
Thread Board
:(
Sad...
Board: LTC: Trades and Trackers
Feb 13, 2019 4:46pm
Thread Board
https://www.atlasquest.com/showinfo.php?trackerId=10097

It's not full... :-( I just carved up my stamps for this tracker and you are going to miss out.

;-)
Re: Sad...
Reply to: #971417 by Linden Leaf
Feb 13, 2019 5:22pm
Thread Board
I am not at that level of carving, but I can imagine that this is going to be a beautiful set of cards. Hopefully the tracker will fill soon!
Reply to: #971418 by RDHG
Feb 13, 2019 5:28pm
Thread Board
Oh. Well I am just teasing. ;-)

But on a side note, do not like your carvings?
Reply to: #971417 by Linden Leaf
Feb 13, 2019 5:29pm
Thread Board
Woman, you are killing me!
Must. have. self. control...
Must. have. self. control...
Feb 13, 2019 5:39pm
Thread Board
If you have a Dollar Tree near any of you, we have found containers that are very hard plastic with flip up clasps. They sell in packages of 2 (and sometimes 3) for $1. This price of 2 for $1 makes them very affordable and they are very durable. Usually they are in their seasonal area and not where most of the Tupperware knock offs are.
Re: Sad...Linden Leaf
Reply to: #971419 by Linden Leaf
Feb 13, 2019 5:44pm
Thread Board
Forgive me, but I could not decipher your side note. 😉
The Taking of K-129
Board: Reading Room
Feb 13, 2019 5:54pm
Thread Board
So I just finished reading The Taking of K-129: How the CIA Used Howard Hughes to Steal a Russian Sub in the Most Daring Covert Operation in History. It's a non-fiction account of a very real CIA operation to grab a Russian sub in the early 1970s. I'd never heard of this before--although the operation had been outed decades ago. But to be fair, I was a newborn when the event was made public and didn't watch the news much back then.

Anyhow, as much as I enjoy historical stories, they can still sometimes be dry with unnecessary details or large period of times when nothing really happens, but this one absolutely sucked me in. It reads like a script of a Hollywood spy movie. Absolutely engrossing, close calls, and an engineering marvel.

If you like historical stories (I'm talking to you, Old Blue!), you'll love this one. It's absolutely awesome. *nodding*

-- Ryan
Reply to: #971422 by RDHG
Feb 13, 2019 5:57pm
Thread Board
Ack!! Ok. Do you like your carvings?
Reply to: #971420 by The Vs
Feb 13, 2019 5:59pm
Thread Board
Ooh...the V's...I'm your facebook friend. I could entice you with a photograph....muhahahaha!!
Reply to: #971424 by Linden Leaf
Feb 13, 2019 6:02pm
Thread Board
Aah. I am pleased with some of my carvings, and I feel like a novice with others. I have no confidence carving people, and I feel like I cannot find a gouge narrow enough for some details.
Reply to: #971418 by RDHG
Feb 13, 2019 6:52pm
Thread Board
Honestly, I feel intimidated sometimes, but it's something in me.
Words of encouragement. ... your art should make you happy. Find your joy not in comparison to others, but something you created that means something to you. I bet they are great!
This is the most helpful, encouraging group of people. Everyone is so supportive & shares tips & techniques.
Reply to: #971426 by RDHG
Feb 13, 2019 7:09pm
Thread Board
Oh ok. I don't know if anyone is really ever satisfied with a their details. It seems it's a natural tendency to push ourselves at times to carve more detail than some of our previous stamps. But at least you are pleased with some of your stamps. Otherwise it would be discouraging!!
Reply to: #971425 by Linden Leaf
Feb 13, 2019 7:57pm
Thread Board
Nope. No. Not gonna look! I always think my cards look like a kindergartner made the compared to the amazing things you all create!!
Reply to: #971429 by The Vs
Feb 13, 2019 8:06pm
Thread Board
Well if that's what you think(which is totally not a true interpretation)...then I will tell you that I like kindergarten artwork and would love to see it in my queens swap.
Re: The Taking of K-129
Board: Reading Room
Reply to: #971423 by Green Tortuga
Feb 13, 2019 9:21pm
Thread Board
I saw a PBS show about this. I'm sure that the book has many more details, as books almost always do.
Reply to: #971421 by TeachJR
Feb 13, 2019 9:22pm
Thread Board
If you have a Dollar Tree near any of you, we have found containers that are very hard plastic with flip up clasps.

Bought a bunch of those, had to throw them out. The seal is made of something that rots to pieces within a couple of years in the wild.
Feb 14, 2019 1:23am
Thread Board
I searched and found that someone recommended Sistema, which seems inexpensive. Have any of you tried them, and did they hold up to moisture?