A Letterboxing Community

Search

Read Messages

Re: Welcome to the Current Big Update!
Board: Atlas Quest Announcements
Reply to: #971307 by Green Tortuga
Feb 11, 2019 11:04am
Thread Board
Really random: Ryan - why is your Green Tortuga signature image upside down? Just curious if that is symbolic?
Re: How long does it take you?
Board: Stamp Carving and Mounting
Reply to: #971322 by RDHG
Feb 11, 2019 11:36am
Thread Board
I would guess it's about a square inch an hour, but I can only carve for about 3 hours before I start making mistakes. I can lengthen that by another hour if I alternate complex tiny details areas with larger ones, or clean up along the edges of the stamp. It also varies a bit according to the hardness of the carving material. I tend to use harder material for the "best" stamps, and softer stuff for the smaller, simpler ones.
Re: Is anyone having this problem?
Board: Postals
Reply to: #971271 by The Beach People
Feb 11, 2019 12:18pm
Thread Board
All of our clerks used to feel the envelopes when I would take them in and add postage for any bumps. Our new clerks don't do that. You might try putting it inside a greeting card or thin cardstock on each side of the stamp. They don't charge extra for bumpy greeting cards usually. I started using greeting card-sized envelopes and had no problem.
Re: Help with listing an event time
Reply to: #971304 by shooting starz
Feb 11, 2019 12:25pm
Thread Board
What state etc. Is Your Event Scheduled for?
Re: What did we miss ABCs?
Board: Letterbox Chatter
Reply to: #971325 by Super Hedge Hoggie
Feb 11, 2019 12:27pm
Thread Board
Travel to terrifically talented trimmers' tableaux
Re: Welcome to the Current Big Update!
Reply to: #971326 by Super Hedge Hoggie
Feb 11, 2019 12:29pm
Thread Board
It got stuck that way during his Australia trip.
Re: Pre-TALE gathering
Board: State: Texas
Reply to: #971231 by Wry Me
Feb 11, 2019 12:30pm
Thread Board
Thanks for putting this together. Silver Eagle is on long vacation, but will sign up when gets home. See y'all soon!
Reply to: #971328 by Topcollector
Feb 11, 2019 12:33pm
Thread Board
On regular plbs, one of our nearby p.o.s had this ancient woman who would bark "What's in there?" Instead of the q's she is supposed to ask. Thankfully, she retired & replaced with a very friendly agent.
Feb 11, 2019 12:42pm
Thread Board
I never carve anything all that elaborate, so something like a cartoon character, two inch by two inch size? Probably 20 mins at most.
Feb 11, 2019 12:55pm
Thread Board
I consider myself fairly fast at carving. I think material and tools make for a huge difference in how long carving takes me. Oz and a miniaturized staedtler can take me upwards of 4 hours for a LTC sized stamp of average detail. Pink and a speedball #1 maybe 2 hours.
Feb 11, 2019 12:58pm
Thread Board
I think that may be one of the things that changes with experience. When you're new at carving, the tendency is not to spend too long on a carve. Not because it's not worth it, but more because you're worried you're gonna mess it up. The idea of putting a couple of hours into a silly little piece of rubber only to accidentally hack a key piece out of it or turn a letter around backwards or some such just feels like it's not worth the risk.

As you gain experience and confidence, though, you are increasingly willing to tackle jobs that will take a lot of time to get right. The level of detail grows. Eventually you start looking for ideas for stamps that will take as *much* time as possible, because the time put into a carve shows.
Feb 11, 2019 1:58pm
Thread Board
I agree with what others said. Mostly for me, carving is about focus and the question may be more about how long I can sustain that focus. The more detailed the carving, the more difficult and the longer I have to be focused. Generally, I can last about an hour. Sometimes I’ll put a stamp away overnight and work on it the next day in which case, it takes more time. So, for me, 1-2 hours for each LTC sized stamp.
Feb 11, 2019 4:13pm
Thread Board
1-3 hours for each LTC sized stamp, depending on the complexity.
The craft tool fairy visited us today!
Feb 11, 2019 4:21pm
Thread Board
And, in an un-solicited anonymous gesture of good will! LTC-ers are the best!

DZ
update weirdness?
Reply to: #971249 by Green Tortuga
Feb 11, 2019 4:26pm
Thread Board
I tried selecting a time in a new event I wanted to list and it forced me to use military time for the start time, which then reverted to a 12-hour time. The end time was on a 12-hour, if I remember correctly. Then it didn't like the time I had, so I had to choose from the "closest" time, and it made me list it for 7 minutes after the hour & half hour, respectively. Wonder if anyone noticed.

I sure hope people don't arrive early. I need that 7 minutes to make a run on the dessert cart.
Re: Power Plant Challenge?
Board: State: Texas
Reply to: #971300 by Bandit Raccoon
Feb 11, 2019 4:33pm
Thread Board
I saw this challenge and thought it would be fun. Just worried I won't be able to finish.
Reply to: #971333 by J Walkers
Feb 11, 2019 4:46pm
Thread Board
Just imagining all those possible shocking answers you could have given her.
Re: update weirdness?
Reply to: #971341 by Wry Me
Feb 11, 2019 5:21pm
Thread Board
I don't really have much control over the time widget--I just tell the browser "get the start and end times" and leave it to the browser to do it.

But I took a look at it on my machine and I have to admit, it's actually really weird and I'm not sure why. The time was being auto set to the current time when you started created a box, but (with my browser) it seems to require that the seconds not change. If you started creating a listing at 11 seconds after the minute, it required you to use a time that was 11 seconds after the minute.

Presumably, your browser was doing the same thing--except it required a specific minute of the hour while my browser seemed to allow any minute of the hour.

But it's all really weird because there's nothing in the code that tells the browser it should restrict the times allowed at all, and I'm completely baffled why it would.

In the meantime, I did fix the problem where it was defaulting to the current time and now it defaults to the 10:00:00am start time and the 6:00:00pm end time which should help. On my browser, it just requires the seconds to be :00--but that's what most people probably want and use anyhow. If your browser is only allowing a time in half-hour increments, you can presumably change start times to something on the half hour or full hour which is probably sufficient for the vast majority of events.

I'll need to look into this more. Maybe I should just stop letting the browser ask for the time, but I do like offloading work to the browser when I can. You'd think browsers would work in an expected format!

-- Ryan
Feb 11, 2019 5:22pm
Thread Board
Thank you for your input, Everyone. I carved my first stamp in a few years, and I felt like it took me a long time. Based on your feedback, maybe it did not take that long. However, it is much bigger than I planned. No worries. I simply need more practice. 🙂
Re: The craft tool fairy visited us today!
Reply to: #971340 by DarkZen and Evil Cow Pie
Feb 11, 2019 7:09pm
Thread Board
Oooh! Do tell-what goodies did you get??😀
Reply to: #971328 by Topcollector
Feb 11, 2019 7:11pm
Thread Board
They don't charge extra for bumpy greeting cards usually. I started using greeting card-sized envelopes and had no problem.

So, where do you buy them, without buying a greeting card along with it?
Reply to: #971327 by Maude
Feb 11, 2019 7:15pm
Thread Board
I tend to use harder material for the "best" stamps, and softer stuff for the smaller, simpler ones.

I use the soft material for stamps that have large inked areas. I use hard material for when there are few inked areas.
Reply to: #971336 by Kirbert
Feb 11, 2019 7:18pm
Thread Board
The idea of putting a couple of hours into a silly little piece of rubber only to accidentally hack a key piece out of it or turn a letter around backwards or some such just feels like it's not worth the risk.

I've been able to glue in a piece that I should not have cut out. I've done it multiple times. I don't know if others have noticed these patches, but I have. FYI, I use E-6000 to glue them back in because it remains a little flexible.

I have one stamp where I carved a letter backwards. It was one that I did a toner transfer too, so I shouldn't have messed it up. Since it was one of the Ns in BANANA, I decided to leave it.
Reply to: #971339 by DarkZen and Evil Cow Pie
Feb 11, 2019 7:40pm
Thread Board
1-3 hours for each LTC sized stamp, depending on the complexity.

That's probably about right for me too. It definitely depends on complexity.

My longest carve (to that point) is of a lighthouse, Minot's Ledge Light. It must have taken at least 10 hours over 5 days. It is an excellent carve, except that the top of the lighthouse is crooked. I used it for two LTC trackers, but they didn't have the same participants (except for me).

However, after that I carved another that took me longer. It was of the "Snow Business" episode of Simon's Cat. The frame was when the cat was poised to start the throw of the first snowball at the bird. I captured as much detail in the frame as I could, which was most of it. This one was maybe 15 hours. The carve is slightly larger than the 2½"×3½" card because I wanted it stamping edge-to-edge.

Those long carves take time, but they are worth it.
Feb 11, 2019 8:21pm
Thread Board
About how long on average does it take you to carve one stamp?

Probably too long! :)

I most likely am in the slower category of carvers, but I have done detailed inchies in an hour and 5" x 5" stamps that took over 40+ hours. I probably am slower because I am careful, like Kirbert mentions, because I take on more and more difficult carves AND I don't do redos. Mistakes just become part of the work.

A great rule of thumb for speed of carving is...take as long as you want to feel like you are proud of your effort and work!

Challenging yourself for more and more detail can be great for some, and joy sucking for others. Carving fast may be easy for some and painful (literally - I tend to gouge my skin when going too fast) for others. Go at the pace you feel comfortable and find joy in the work!

Jeff
Reply to: #971039 by RDHG
Feb 11, 2019 9:31pm
Thread Board
Uncommon, unique utensils creating the ultimate unsurpassed urban letterboxes!
Reply to: #971355 by jlsd0218
Feb 11, 2019 9:42pm
Thread Board
Very vehement vegans venerating valuable vegetables.
Reply to: #971356 by Oberon_Kenobi
Feb 11, 2019 9:48pm
Thread Board
Well, while wassa was waiting, watching words which were wittily written, wary walkers wandered widdershins without wobbling wildly.

Woohoo!!!
Re: The craft tool fairy visited us today!
Reply to: #971348 by Gypsy Fiddler
Feb 11, 2019 11:37pm
Thread Board
A very nice corner rounding punch. It was such a treat arriving like it did - out of the blue. ECP has been wanting something like that so it was much appreciated! Like I said, the LTC community is the greatest!

(thanks gmh!)
Reply to: #971353 by FORAYCH
Feb 12, 2019 1:59am
Thread Board
Also note: Some of us are gouge carvers and some of us are hobby knife carvers. Hobby knife carving generally takes longer than gouge carving. In fact, we once had a post where someone suggested that more people should learn how to gouge carve because they'd end up carving more stamps and hence we'd have more boxes to hunt!