Register · Login

A Letterboxing Community

Search

Read Messages

Power Plant Challenge?
Board: State: Texas
Feb 10, 2019 10:06am
Thread Board
I was recently scrolling through the general AQ message boards and saw reference to a plant challenge. The Power Plant Challenge is an effort to get more ‘boxes out, both to have more letterboxes to find and to encourage new letterboxers. The challenge is to plant 10 letterboxes before the end of April, which works well if you’re like me and need tangible goals. If you complete the 10 plant challenge, you can earn a patch, if you get 50 planted you earn a Path Tag.

Is anyone else participating or want to participate? Seems like a great idea to get more letterboxes in Texas!

More information about the challenge: https://www.atlasquest.com/boards/read.php?threadId=140889&startId=969803
Re: Welcome to the Current Big Update!
Board: Atlas Quest Announcements
Reply to: #971270 by Green Tortuga
Feb 10, 2019 10:15am
Thread Board
I love that after that long detailed explanation, all Ele needed was four words from BL47 :)

Here’s a minor odd change: when clicking an old message on “Wassa’s random daily funnies” it used to go to just that message, but now it goes to the whole thread with that message first.

K
Message Boards - Simple Summary Expanded Views
Board: Letterboxing Help Desk
Feb 10, 2019 11:58am
Thread Board
The look of the message lists has changed and previously my default view was always Simple but now it seems that every time I go into my message boards the view isn't Simple and seems to randomly change to any of the settings. If I set the view to Simple, go into a message then back out of the message the view resets to Expanded. This change is quite annoying.
Re: Power Plant Challenge?
Reply to: #971292 by Bandit Raccoon
Feb 10, 2019 12:42pm
Thread Board
This might be good for me. A couple of my last carves were so scary I was about ready to give up. All 10 in Texas starting now? Or starting when?
Reply to: #971299 by BinoBoxer
Feb 10, 2019 1:24pm
Thread Board
I agree, I'm so glad some NC letterboxers put this together! Technically the official challenge started in November, but I just came across the message thread a few days ago. The challenge as stated in the original thread is any 10 boxes placed before April 30, 2019. Message Super Hedge Hoggie (https://www.atlasquest.com/people/profile.php?memberId=41868) if you want to participate in the official challenge as she is tracking participation. Unofficially though, I think it would be fun to plant 10 boxes in Texas before the end of April!

I hope to find some of your boxes soon!
Re: Boxers by state
Reply to: #971255 by KnottyKnitterDirtMonkey
Feb 10, 2019 1:34pm
Thread Board
WOW AQ info is endless. Thanks to Ryan and Wassa for all that you provide us with.
Help with listing an event time
Feb 10, 2019 2:13pm
Thread Board
Newbie to listing an event! Not sure if this is a "glitch" from the update, but when I try to add the "start" and "end" time, it is not liking my 2-5 pm time- does anyone know why? I have tried adding it as Military time also- but it does not like that- won't let me go to "NEXT" on listing event without a valid time- I'm stumped! any help would be appreciated, thanks!
Re: Help with listing an event time
Reply to: #971303 by shooting starz
Feb 10, 2019 2:53pm
Thread Board
ha! figured it out!!!! needed to add a "number" other than 00 to "seconds" No need to reply!
Re: TH for Arkansas?
Board: Treasure Hikers
Reply to: #971257 by White Wolf7233
Feb 10, 2019 5:23pm
Thread Board
Is there any rewards for doing hikes in Arkansas?

I hear the foliage is pretty in the autumn.
Re: TH for Arkansas?
Board: Treasure Hikers
Reply to: #971305 by PI Joe
Feb 10, 2019 5:26pm
Thread Board
Is there any rewards for doing hikes in Arkansas?

Sometimes some people find letterboxes.
Reply to: #971293 by Kelsung
Feb 10, 2019 5:33pm
Thread Board
Here’s a minor odd change: when clicking an old message on “Wassa’s random daily funnies” it used to go to just that message, but now it goes to the whole thread with that message first.

That's logical.... Sometimes the replies are even funnier than the original funny message! Or you want to go back and read the thread that generated the funny message. =)

-- Ryan
Re: Message Boards - Simple Summary Expanded Views
Reply to: #971297 by Phoenix Rizing
Feb 10, 2019 5:41pm
Thread Board
it seems that every time I go into my message boards the view isn't Simple and seems to randomly change to any of the settings.

There's nothing random about it--you probably just don't understand how the links work.

If you want a link that always opens in the simple view, you need to use a link that explicitly states "view=simple" in the URL parameters. I've gone ahead and added such a link to the bottom of your 'Boards' menubar option.

For anyone else who wants such a link, bookmark the link for https://www.atlasquest.com/boards/read.php?view=simple. It will always open you to the last page of messages set the simple view. (Don't click this link then bookmark it--bookmark this actual link. If you click it first, AQ will add the startId to the URL and you'll forever be linking to the same page of posts.)

-- Ryan
Re: Mystery Postal #OK2019A
Board: Postals
Reply to: #971273 by Oberon_Kenobi
Feb 10, 2019 11:56pm
Thread Board
Clue 12: Book
Message Board appearance
Feb 11, 2019 4:05am
Thread Board
Hi Ryan,

When I am on the message board, I have a large field of white space on the right half of the screen. The message boxes only take up approximately 1/2 the computer screen (the left half). The top and bottom menus fill the screen appropriately and other pages seem to also be fine.

This in no way interferes with functioning, other than it is slightly disconcerting to look at.

Thanks

Mama Stork
Re: What did we miss ABCs?
Board: Letterbox Chatter
Reply to: #971039 by RDHG
Feb 11, 2019 5:23am
Thread Board
No R? Where is R? We need to know what Is we missed! 🤣

Plus, R gets us closer to W. 😉
Reply to: #971317 by RDHG
Feb 11, 2019 5:46am
Thread Board
Rebiccola is riveted by refined reproductions in rubber.
Reply to: #971292 by Bandit Raccoon
Feb 11, 2019 5:57am
Thread Board
I already have three out. I have a couple more in the works.
Re: Message Board appearance
Reply to: #971316 by Mama Stork
Feb 11, 2019 8:20am
Thread Board
I've updated it so the posts are as wide as your entire page. =)

You might have to refresh your browser to get the changes, but they'll eventually be picked up regardless.

Happy trails!

-- Ryan
Reply to: #971299 by BinoBoxer
Feb 11, 2019 8:36am
Thread Board
I hadn't heard about this... must have missed it. Thanks for noting! I think I already have put more than 10 out since Nov 1, so I'll be happy to join up! :)
How long does it take you?
Board: Stamp Carving and Mounting
Feb 11, 2019 9:55am
Thread Board
I asked someone earlier, and I decided to ask the rest of you. About how long on average does it take you to carve one stamp? I know that some are more detailed than others or that some are larger than others. I am just wondering in general. 🙂
Re: Is anyone having this problem?
Reply to: #971271 by The Beach People
Feb 11, 2019 9:58am
Thread Board
I haven't had problems (yet). I think from your post, you've gotten to the crux of the matter ~ disgruntled employee. He/she would probably complain about other things too.

Here is the link to the specifics: https://www.usps.com/ship/letters.htm
"Non-machineable items include lumpy or rigid envelopes, and those that have clasps, string, or buttons. Unusually shaped square or vertical envelopes will also cost more to send."

Now, I've always wondered - a lot of charities like to send appeals with coins (nickels, or other items) in their envelopes. Those seem pretty "lumpy" to me, but they seem to get processed fine.

And, what happens if you add that extra postage, and mail from a post box? How does the post office "know" to separate that rectangular envelope from all of the rest, so it won't jam the machines?

In any case, when I prepare a micro, I try to reduce the lumpiness by making the envelope thickness as uniform as possible, or making it a gradual increasing-decreasing thickness, so the envelope won't jam the machine. I secure the stamp so it doesn't slide around, and put the stamp in the middle, often surrounded by a few cut sheets of paper that folks use for logging in.
Re: How long does it take you?
Reply to: #971322 by RDHG
Feb 11, 2019 10:58am
Thread Board
About an hour per square inch of rubber.
Reply to: #971039 by RDHG
Feb 11, 2019 11:02am
Thread Board
Super speedy pink stuff stylized signature stamps signifying symbolism and stoking seeker's stimulating searches.
Reply to: #971307 by Green Tortuga
Feb 11, 2019 11:04am
Thread Board
Really random: Ryan - why is your Green Tortuga signature image upside down? Just curious if that is symbolic?
Re: How long does it take you?
Reply to: #971322 by RDHG
Feb 11, 2019 11:36am
Thread Board
I would guess it's about a square inch an hour, but I can only carve for about 3 hours before I start making mistakes. I can lengthen that by another hour if I alternate complex tiny details areas with larger ones, or clean up along the edges of the stamp. It also varies a bit according to the hardness of the carving material. I tend to use harder material for the "best" stamps, and softer stuff for the smaller, simpler ones.
Re: Is anyone having this problem?
Reply to: #971271 by The Beach People
Feb 11, 2019 12:18pm
Thread Board
All of our clerks used to feel the envelopes when I would take them in and add postage for any bumps. Our new clerks don't do that. You might try putting it inside a greeting card or thin cardstock on each side of the stamp. They don't charge extra for bumpy greeting cards usually. I started using greeting card-sized envelopes and had no problem.
Re: Help with listing an event time
Reply to: #971304 by shooting starz
Feb 11, 2019 12:25pm
Thread Board
What state etc. Is Your Event Scheduled for?
Reply to: #971325 by Super Hedge Hoggie
Feb 11, 2019 12:27pm
Thread Board
Travel to terrifically talented trimmers' tableaux
Reply to: #971326 by Super Hedge Hoggie
Feb 11, 2019 12:29pm
Thread Board
It got stuck that way during his Australia trip.
Re: Pre-TALE gathering
Reply to: #971231 by Wry Me
Feb 11, 2019 12:30pm
Thread Board
Thanks for putting this together. Silver Eagle is on long vacation, but will sign up when gets home. See y'all soon!