Thread Board
A correct answer.

Clue 11: Air Force
Re: Explorers
Board: Television: After the Show Ends
Reply to: #971264 by Oberon_Kenobi
Feb 10, 2019 1:19am
Thread Board
Remakes usually sacrifice story for visual effects.
A good story holds up. Visuals become dated.
Re: Welcome to the Current Big Update!
Board: Atlas Quest Announcements
Reply to: #971272 by Boxer Lover47
Feb 10, 2019 3:00am
Thread Board
Click 'thread;' click 'first.'

Thanks. This cleared it up for me.
Re: Is anyone having this problem?
Board: Postals
Reply to: #971271 by The Beach People
Feb 10, 2019 3:44am
Thread Board
Fill out a report form from the Post Office and report this employee to the Post Master.
Feb 10, 2019 5:12am
Thread Board
My counter lady has been very nice about letting me know that “lumpy” takes an extra stamp. She said the PO is cracking down. I bought a roll of “extra ounce” stamps which also work for the non-machine able, and put one on every outgoing Micro. It’s still much cheaper than parcel rate. Most still arrive here with just one forever.
Feb 10, 2019 6:02am
Thread Board
I have toured the downtown Minneapolis postal center .... the machinery is amazing!! Very few people handle our mail. I try to remember that machines are doing the work of sorting. The more I think about how my mail interacts with the automated postal systems and prepare my items to be greeted by automatons, the better my mail goes through. Little things like printing in all caps, typing addresses and paying extra for a square envelope or a stiff gift card can make a big difference in the overhead conveyors.

When the machines jam, it is not pretty.

IMHO the postal service is still a great bargain.
Re: Neuland Art Markers - Excellent for Stamping!!
Board: Tools of the Trade
Reply to: #970967 by Angel Winks
Feb 10, 2019 6:28am
Thread Board
The Neuland Art Markers look and sound great, but at $3.00 each it would cost me around $60 to replace my older markers (plus shipping?). I know this has been asked often, but new products appear from time to time. So, what are the current favorites in markers?
Feb 10, 2019 6:40am
Thread Board
Yes, I just finished my first micro postal. To be sure I had it right I took it to the post office. All the guy said was “weight was right but bulky”. So I went home and shaved it thinner. When I returned the second time, he took enough time to tell me if anything is in an envelope other than paper it costs .71 rather than .50 (old rates). It didn’t matter the weight to him. I shaved it even more but mailed from another post office. I followed up on the postal and no one seemed to have to add postal, that I know of. Must be the crack down.
Reply to: #971280 by BinoBoxer
Feb 10, 2019 7:12am
Thread Board
Yes, I just finished my first micro postal. [...] I followed up on the postal and no one seemed to have to add postal, that I know of.

I'm currently in a micro-postal. There is one that is bulky and needed more postage. Another came postage due, but didn't take extra postage to send. All of the rest comes and goes with FOREVER postage.
WooHooooo . . . .
Board: Look at Me! Look At You!
Feb 10, 2019 7:38am
Thread Board
Congrats to Rocklun for BOTW . . . . how do I not have these owl facts??? Must plan an East Coast boxing trip!!!
Atlanta Area Letterbox recommendations
Board: State: Georgia
Feb 10, 2019 8:06am
Thread Board
I’ve never Letterboxed in Atlanta and will be heading there for a weekend full of Letterboxing. Other than Stone Mountain, any recommendations on any other areas or area boxes that are unique/wonderful? There are lots of boxes to choose from which is amazing (and can be overwhelming)

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Happy Boxing!

Eric (chill E)
Re: WooHooooo . . . .
Board: Look at Me! Look At You!
Reply to: #971282 by Wise Wanderer
Feb 10, 2019 8:22am
Thread Board
Way to go, Rocklun! I read all the owl facts, very interesting. Rats, I’m too far away for this series.
Re: Atlanta Area Letterbox recommendations
Reply to: #971283 by Chill E
Feb 10, 2019 8:28am
Thread Board
Peidmont park, Green Tourtuga's box number 4

Decatur Cemetary, Buffy the Vampier Stamper, this is not a zoo, and other boxes

The Fox Box, at the historic Fox Theater

The Atlanta History Center, has many interesting boxs, and is a tourist spot in it's own right.

Blue Heron Nature Preserve just planted a few boxes (maybe store bought) and is an interesting park.

Dolls Head Trail is a weird little urban hike
With a few boxes (full disclosure, a couple are mine and just ok, the rest are awesome.)

Oakland Cemmetary, a couple boxes, a lovely historic cemmetary, great food near-by.

I would skip Irwin Street, those boxes seem to be missing.

If you find yourself down in Hapeville (its convenient to the airport ) you can be first finder on my Rainy-day-drinking boxs at Hapeville Corner Tavern. The boxes aren't anything extra special, but some folks like to be first.

A note on Stone Montain Park--- its 20$ a day or 40$ a year to drive in, but you can park for free in Stone Mountain Village (which has a dozen or so boxes) and take the bike PATH behind the welcome center (it's a red caboose visible from Main St) into the park. From there the Walk Up Trail, Cherokee, and Nature Trails are easy to reach. It also could easily fill a whole year worth of boxing, I have been boxing there alot since July, and still have another 100 plus boxes to go, not counting WOM, mysteries to hard for me, and boxes you need special skills or equipment (like a boat) to get. If you would like a local to hike with I'm free on Saturdays, and maybe some of the more experienced locals would join us.
Congratulations, Belmont Bunch!
Board: State: North Carolina
Feb 10, 2019 9:07am
Board
Belmont Bunch reached 1,000 boxes today, and that is an exciting milestone!
Re: Our first plant in 856 days!
Reply to: #971154 by RDHG
Feb 10, 2019 9:22am
Thread Board
Such a fun morning and first finder of this great box! With RDHG I was able to reach find 1000! Yeah!
Re: Our first plant in 856 days!
Reply to: #971239 by RDHG
Feb 10, 2019 9:24am
Thread Board
How do I post a picture of my adventures?
Re: Atlanta Area Letterbox recommendations
Reply to: #971283 by Chill E
Feb 10, 2019 9:44am
Thread Board
Try to check out What’ll Ya Have? at Atlanta’s most famous greasy spoon.
Power Plant Challenge?
Board: State: Texas
Feb 10, 2019 10:06am
Thread Board
I was recently scrolling through the general AQ message boards and saw reference to a plant challenge. The Power Plant Challenge is an effort to get more ‘boxes out, both to have more letterboxes to find and to encourage new letterboxers. The challenge is to plant 10 letterboxes before the end of April, which works well if you’re like me and need tangible goals. If you complete the 10 plant challenge, you can earn a patch, if you get 50 planted you earn a Path Tag.

Is anyone else participating or want to participate? Seems like a great idea to get more letterboxes in Texas!

More information about the challenge: https://www.atlasquest.com/boards/read.php?threadId=140889&startId=969803
Reply to: #971270 by Green Tortuga
Feb 10, 2019 10:15am
Thread Board
I love that after that long detailed explanation, all Ele needed was four words from BL47 :)

Here’s a minor odd change: when clicking an old message on “Wassa’s random daily funnies” it used to go to just that message, but now it goes to the whole thread with that message first.

K
Message Boards - Simple Summary Expanded Views
Board: Letterboxing Help Desk
Feb 10, 2019 11:58am
Thread Board
The look of the message lists has changed and previously my default view was always Simple but now it seems that every time I go into my message boards the view isn't Simple and seems to randomly change to any of the settings. If I set the view to Simple, go into a message then back out of the message the view resets to Expanded. This change is quite annoying.
Re: Power Plant Challenge?
Reply to: #971292 by Bandit Raccoon
Feb 10, 2019 12:42pm
Thread Board
This might be good for me. A couple of my last carves were so scary I was about ready to give up. All 10 in Texas starting now? Or starting when?
Re: Power Plant Challenge?
Reply to: #971299 by BinoBoxer
Feb 10, 2019 1:24pm
Thread Board
I agree, I'm so glad some NC letterboxers put this together! Technically the official challenge started in November, but I just came across the message thread a few days ago. The challenge as stated in the original thread is any 10 boxes placed before April 30, 2019. Message Super Hedge Hoggie (https://www.atlasquest.com/people/profile.php?memberId=41868) if you want to participate in the official challenge as she is tracking participation. Unofficially though, I think it would be fun to plant 10 boxes in Texas before the end of April!

I hope to find some of your boxes soon!
Re: Boxers by state
Reply to: #971255 by KnottyKnitterDirtMonkey
Feb 10, 2019 1:34pm
Thread Board
WOW AQ info is endless. Thanks to Ryan and Wassa for all that you provide us with.
Help with listing an event time
Feb 10, 2019 2:13pm
Thread Board
Newbie to listing an event! Not sure if this is a "glitch" from the update, but when I try to add the "start" and "end" time, it is not liking my 2-5 pm time- does anyone know why? I have tried adding it as Military time also- but it does not like that- won't let me go to "NEXT" on listing event without a valid time- I'm stumped! any help would be appreciated, thanks!
Re: Help with listing an event time
Reply to: #971303 by shooting starz
Feb 10, 2019 2:53pm
Thread Board
ha! figured it out!!!! needed to add a "number" other than 00 to "seconds" No need to reply!
Re: TH for Arkansas?
Board: Treasure Hikers
Reply to: #971257 by White Wolf7233
Feb 10, 2019 5:23pm
Thread Board
Is there any rewards for doing hikes in Arkansas?

I hear the foliage is pretty in the autumn.
Re: TH for Arkansas?
Board: Treasure Hikers
Reply to: #971305 by PI Joe
Feb 10, 2019 5:26pm
Thread Board
Is there any rewards for doing hikes in Arkansas?

Sometimes some people find letterboxes.
Reply to: #971293 by Kelsung
Feb 10, 2019 5:33pm
Thread Board
Here’s a minor odd change: when clicking an old message on “Wassa’s random daily funnies” it used to go to just that message, but now it goes to the whole thread with that message first.

That's logical.... Sometimes the replies are even funnier than the original funny message! Or you want to go back and read the thread that generated the funny message. =)

-- Ryan
Re: Message Boards - Simple Summary Expanded Views
Reply to: #971297 by Phoenix Rizing
Feb 10, 2019 5:41pm
Thread Board
it seems that every time I go into my message boards the view isn't Simple and seems to randomly change to any of the settings.

There's nothing random about it--you probably just don't understand how the links work.

If you want a link that always opens in the simple view, you need to use a link that explicitly states "view=simple" in the URL parameters. I've gone ahead and added such a link to the bottom of your 'Boards' menubar option.

For anyone else who wants such a link, bookmark the link for https://www.atlasquest.com/boards/read.php?view=simple. It will always open you to the last page of messages set the simple view. (Don't click this link then bookmark it--bookmark this actual link. If you click it first, AQ will add the startId to the URL and you'll forever be linking to the same page of posts.)

-- Ryan
Re: Mystery Postal #OK2019A
Reply to: #971273 by Oberon_Kenobi
Feb 10, 2019 11:56pm
Thread Board
Clue 12: Book