Register · Login

A Letterboxing Community

Search

Read Messages

Explorers
Board: Television: After the Show Ends
Feb 9, 2019 11:42am
Thread Board
I'm watching "Explorers" on TV right now. I thought it was interesting that they attend Charles M. Jones Junior High School. The name sounded familiar, so I looked it up and it is named after the famous animator.

Just an interesting bit I noticed.
TH for Arkansas?
Board: Treasure Hikers
Feb 9, 2019 1:00pm
Thread Board
Is there any rewards for doing hikes in Arkansas?
Re: Our first plant in 856 days!
Board: State: North Carolina
Reply to: #971239 by RDHG
Feb 9, 2019 1:55pm
Thread Board
I’ll be boxing in Mooresville tomorrow. I hope there are some left after the new one! I’m still boxing and just 3 away from 1000!
Re: Boxers by state
Board: Letterboxing Help Desk
Reply to: #971243 by FORAYCH
Feb 9, 2019 1:55pm
Thread Board
I had no idea there was all that information behind the state theme!!! It even has a list of towns and the letterboxes associated with that town. All that and so much more!! Thanks, FORAYCH!!
Reply to: #971258 by Belmont Bunch
Feb 9, 2019 2:06pm
Thread Board
Ooh, it would be neat for our Happy Birthday box to be your 1,000th! Congratulations on reaching that goal tomorrow!

Between Petunia and Exp626 there are four boxes downtown. There are others, too. What time are you planning to be in Mooresville? Maybe we can connect.
Re: Explorers
Reply to: #971256 by Oberon_Kenobi
Feb 9, 2019 2:21pm
Thread Board
I was too.
Never seen the whole thing before.
Fun movie.
Re: Welcome to the Current Big Update!
Board: Atlas Quest Announcements
Reply to: #971052 by Green Tortuga
Feb 9, 2019 3:33pm
Thread Board
I can't figure out how to read a thread starting at the initial message any more.
Reply to: #971262 by Basset Mom
Feb 9, 2019 3:36pm
Thread Board
I believe it is the green arrow up on the right with the vertical line on its left. I'm learning, also, so I hope this is correct.
Reply to: #971261 by Grrly Girl
Feb 9, 2019 4:22pm
Thread Board
Fun movie.

I've seen it before. I wasn't sure until I saw the aliens. It was a fun movie, again.

I also watch "Flight of the Navigator" when I get the opportunity. It is a fun kid/space-flight movie with the advantage of time travel. Disney is going to remake it though. Most remakes aren't as good as the original though. I hope that this remake is an exception.
Feb 9, 2019 4:56pm
Thread Board
I can't figure out how to read a thread starting at the initial message any more.

Me either. That arrow referenced by someone else goes clear back the first post on the board, not the first post of the thread.
Re: Boxers by state
Board: Letterboxing Help Desk
Reply to: #971253 by mudflinginfools
Feb 9, 2019 5:24pm
Thread Board
Boy, if you don't know what she's up to, then the rest of us are really in trouble!
Feb 9, 2019 6:12pm
Thread Board

It would be easier to explain this while looking over your shoulder, but you use the green left arrow with the line to go to the beginning of whatever you're reading. If you're reading a thread, it'll go to the beginning of the thread. If you're reading a board, it'll go to the beginning of the board. If you're reading "all boards", it'll take you to the first message ever posted. If you're reading a custom search (posts about "postal boxes", for instance), it'll take you to the first post with "postal boxes" in the message.

Which, based on the replies to this question, I think people may not fully understand how those buttons work. All of the buttons work on the premise of "whatever you're reading." If it's a thread, the buttons are the first, previous, next and last pages of the thread. If you're reading a board, it's the first, previous, next and last page of the board. If you're reading "all messages," it'll be the first, previous, next and last pages of "all messages."

So... what you see when you click it depends on what you're reading--and I can't tell without looking over your shoulder. Linking from different places pulls up different posts.

• If you follow the links from the "favorite boards" widget, it'll open a board at the place where you had stopped reading. (Clicking the first button will take you to the "first" page of messages on the entire board.)
  • If you follow the links from the "recent threads" widget, it'll open the thread starting at the first message of the thread. The "first" button won't even work because you'll already be at the first message.
  • If you open a message from the "recent messages" board, it will also open a page to the thread the message is on, but start the page at the message you clicked on. Clicking the "first" button will move the page to the start of the thread.
  • If you click the "reply to" link in a message, it'll open that thread with the message being replied to as the first message on the page. Clicking the "first" button from there will take you to the start of the thread.
  • If you click the icon of the thread in a message, it'll open that thread with that message as the first one. Clicking the "first" button from there will take you to the start of the thread.
  • If you click the "board" icon in a message, it'll open that board with that message as the first one on the page. Clicking the "first" button from there will take you to the first page of posts from that board.
  • Clicking the number of the post in a message will just re-frame the messages so the one you clicked is at the top of the page. If you're viewing a thread, you'll continue viewing the thread. If you're viewing a board, you'll continue viewing the board. If you're viewing "all messages," you'll continue to view "all messages." I'm not actually sure this one is very useful and maybe I should get rid of the link for simplicity's sake. (I added it with the dubious thought that if I wanted to post a link to a thread but wanted a specific post to be at the top of the page, I could click on the ID to create the link I needed.) The ID of the first post on a page actually does nothing--it links to exactly what you're already reading.
  • If you follow a board from the Browse Boards page, it'll open the board to the last page of posts. Clicking the "first" button will take you to the first post of the board.
  • The Recent Active Threads page has links to both boards and threads. If you click one of the boards link, it'll open the last page of posts on that board. Clicking the "first" button on that will take you to the first post of the board. If you click one of the threads link, it'll open to the last page of posts to that thread. Clicking the "first" button on that will take you to the first post of the thread.

So, if you're reading a board and want to go to the first post in the thread, you have to first switch from a "board view" to a "thread view." Click the thread button to do that. Then click the "first" button to move to the beginning of the thread.

It's probably easier than it sounds. Without being able to look over your shoulder to see how you get to the message boards, I'm not sure which "entrance" is the one you're using, so I'm not sure which set of directions applies to you. So... I listed all of them. At least that I could think of off the top of the my head.

Pretty much all links open up threads unless you're clicking on the actual name of a board in which case it opens up the board with that name or you click on "all messages" in which case you get everything. AQ doesn't let you "switch" to a thread if you're already viewing a thread, and it doesn't let you switch to a board if you're already viewing a board.

If you walk me through exactly what you click when you wind up at a message whose thread you want to follow to its beginning, I can be more specific.

-- Ryan
Reply to: #971269 by Green Tortuga
Feb 9, 2019 8:43pm
Thread Board
I guess I should also point out.... for all the long, rambling explanation I made.... the first, previous, next and last buttons have always worked like this. It's nothing I changed in the update so don't freak out if you were reading that and thinking "wow, this update is so complicated!" Absolutely nothing in this update changed how those buttons worked (unless there's a bug I don't know about).

So don't let the change in the layout confuse you. How the message boards actually work hasn't changed at all except that there's no longer an option to read posts one at a time. Everything else that looks different....just looks different. It should work exactly the same as before.

Although if you prefer navigating one post a time...you can edit your message board preferences to show 1 post per page instead of the default of 30.

-- Ryan
Is anyone having this problem?
Board: Postals
Feb 9, 2019 8:45pm
Thread Board
So I have joined several micro postals and have never had any problems. Until now. For the last two weeks, the post office has been holding a bunch of my envelopes. Then I would get a bundle of them at once, owing $.15 on each of them. At first I thought the postage of each envelope had gone over cost of a single stamp. But today my husband left the post office on an errand, saying a there was a very disgruntled employee there who said I needed to pay extra postage when I send these envelopes out. The employee said that because the business sized envelope was lumpy, as even though it had an appropriate stamp on it, I need to pay for an extra stamp because the envelope won't go through their machine and will jam it up. So I should pay for an extra stamp to avoid the machine.
But I don't put my outgoing mail in my box or my post office, as I take my outgoing mail to work. (I go to another post office multiple times a day for my job, and they have never said anything to me about this).
Has anyone had these problems, or have heard of this?
Reply to: #971269 by Green Tortuga
Feb 9, 2019 8:58pm
Thread Board
Thanks for the explanation, Ryan. I think I've got it now. Click 'thread;' click 'first.'
Re: Mystery Postal #OK2019A
Reply to: #971236 by Oberon_Kenobi
Feb 10, 2019 12:09am
Thread Board
A correct answer.

Clue 11: Air Force
Reply to: #971264 by Oberon_Kenobi
Feb 10, 2019 1:19am
Thread Board
Remakes usually sacrifice story for visual effects.
A good story holds up. Visuals become dated.
Reply to: #971272 by Boxer Lover47
Feb 10, 2019 3:00am
Thread Board
Click 'thread;' click 'first.'

Thanks. This cleared it up for me.
Re: Is anyone having this problem?
Reply to: #971271 by The Beach People
Feb 10, 2019 3:44am
Thread Board
Fill out a report form from the Post Office and report this employee to the Post Master.
Feb 10, 2019 5:12am
Thread Board
My counter lady has been very nice about letting me know that “lumpy” takes an extra stamp. She said the PO is cracking down. I bought a roll of “extra ounce” stamps which also work for the non-machine able, and put one on every outgoing Micro. It’s still much cheaper than parcel rate. Most still arrive here with just one forever.
Feb 10, 2019 6:02am
Thread Board
I have toured the downtown Minneapolis postal center .... the machinery is amazing!! Very few people handle our mail. I try to remember that machines are doing the work of sorting. The more I think about how my mail interacts with the automated postal systems and prepare my items to be greeted by automatons, the better my mail goes through. Little things like printing in all caps, typing addresses and paying extra for a square envelope or a stiff gift card can make a big difference in the overhead conveyors.

When the machines jam, it is not pretty.

IMHO the postal service is still a great bargain.
Re: Neuland Art Markers - Excellent for Stamping!!
Board: Tools of the Trade
Reply to: #970967 by Angel Winks
Feb 10, 2019 6:28am
Thread Board
The Neuland Art Markers look and sound great, but at $3.00 each it would cost me around $60 to replace my older markers (plus shipping?). I know this has been asked often, but new products appear from time to time. So, what are the current favorites in markers?
Feb 10, 2019 6:40am
Thread Board
Yes, I just finished my first micro postal. To be sure I had it right I took it to the post office. All the guy said was “weight was right but bulky”. So I went home and shaved it thinner. When I returned the second time, he took enough time to tell me if anything is in an envelope other than paper it costs .71 rather than .50 (old rates). It didn’t matter the weight to him. I shaved it even more but mailed from another post office. I followed up on the postal and no one seemed to have to add postal, that I know of. Must be the crack down.
Reply to: #971280 by BinoBoxer
Feb 10, 2019 7:12am
Thread Board
Yes, I just finished my first micro postal. [...] I followed up on the postal and no one seemed to have to add postal, that I know of.

I'm currently in a micro-postal. There is one that is bulky and needed more postage. Another came postage due, but didn't take extra postage to send. All of the rest comes and goes with FOREVER postage.
WooHooooo . . . .
Board: Look at Me! Look At You!
Feb 10, 2019 7:38am
Thread Board
Congrats to Rocklun for BOTW . . . . how do I not have these owl facts??? Must plan an East Coast boxing trip!!!
Atlanta Area Letterbox recommendations
Board: State: Georgia
Feb 10, 2019 8:06am
Thread Board
I’ve never Letterboxed in Atlanta and will be heading there for a weekend full of Letterboxing. Other than Stone Mountain, any recommendations on any other areas or area boxes that are unique/wonderful? There are lots of boxes to choose from which is amazing (and can be overwhelming)

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Happy Boxing!

Eric (chill E)
Re: WooHooooo . . . .
Board: Look at Me! Look At You!
Reply to: #971282 by Wise Wanderer
Feb 10, 2019 8:22am
Thread Board
Way to go, Rocklun! I read all the owl facts, very interesting. Rats, I’m too far away for this series.
Re: Atlanta Area Letterbox recommendations
Board: State: Georgia
Reply to: #971283 by Chill E
Feb 10, 2019 8:28am
Thread Board
Peidmont park, Green Tourtuga's box number 4

Decatur Cemetary, Buffy the Vampier Stamper, this is not a zoo, and other boxes

The Fox Box, at the historic Fox Theater

The Atlanta History Center, has many interesting boxs, and is a tourist spot in it's own right.

Blue Heron Nature Preserve just planted a few boxes (maybe store bought) and is an interesting park.

Dolls Head Trail is a weird little urban hike
With a few boxes (full disclosure, a couple are mine and just ok, the rest are awesome.)

Oakland Cemmetary, a couple boxes, a lovely historic cemmetary, great food near-by.

I would skip Irwin Street, those boxes seem to be missing.

If you find yourself down in Hapeville (its convenient to the airport ) you can be first finder on my Rainy-day-drinking boxs at Hapeville Corner Tavern. The boxes aren't anything extra special, but some folks like to be first.

A note on Stone Montain Park--- its 20$ a day or 40$ a year to drive in, but you can park for free in Stone Mountain Village (which has a dozen or so boxes) and take the bike PATH behind the welcome center (it's a red caboose visible from Main St) into the park. From there the Walk Up Trail, Cherokee, and Nature Trails are easy to reach. It also could easily fill a whole year worth of boxing, I have been boxing there alot since July, and still have another 100 plus boxes to go, not counting WOM, mysteries to hard for me, and boxes you need special skills or equipment (like a boat) to get. If you would like a local to hike with I'm free on Saturdays, and maybe some of the more experienced locals would join us.
Congratulations, Belmont Bunch!
Feb 10, 2019 9:07am
Board
Belmont Bunch reached 1,000 boxes today, and that is an exciting milestone!
Reply to: #971154 by RDHG
Feb 10, 2019 9:22am
Thread Board
Such a fun morning and first finder of this great box! With RDHG I was able to reach find 1000! Yeah!