Register · Login

A Letterboxing Community

Search

Read Messages

Delete false finds from owned boxes?
Board: Letterboxing Help Desk
Jan 29, 2019 9:09am
Thread Board
With the Beans event this weekend, an event box was shared. Unfortunately it has the same name as my traditional series, but is a completely separate set of stamps. EVERYONE has logged the traditional series! Is there a way to delete the fake logs? I care more about an accurate find history of my boxes, but them claiming 9 fake "finds" also annoys me.

Box #195404
Re: Delete false finds from owned boxes?
Reply to: #970783 by RIclimber
Jan 29, 2019 9:37am
Thread Board
Totally agree. This will be a good thing to know how to do as there are several boxes with the same name on AQ (not just yours).

Some people just don't pay attention to their finds. You really need to look at owner, # of stamps, series name, box names, sometimes location, and box type - ESPECIALLY after a huge event like LLB.
Jan 29, 2019 9:59am
Thread Board
Could you maybe clarify which boxes you are talking about so we can go back and double check? I’ve a lot of boxes to log in and wouldn’t be surprised if I made a mistake somewhere. Hate to be accused of a “fake find”.
Jan 29, 2019 10:11am
Thread Board
You could ask Mud or Teacup to send out another announcement to direct people to remove the false finds and guide people towards the correct box??
Re: LL Bean Night Owl 's Final Flight Event
Board: State: Maine
Reply to: #970713 by Daytrippers 54
Jan 29, 2019 10:35am
Thread Board
Where do I even begin! I had the time of my life this weekend!

My first thanks goes out to Janila who so graciously swung into RI from PA to pick me up and bring me along, you have given me memories to last a lifetime.

I got to see some old faces, met new ones, ran around like a kid in the hotel, climbed like a goat over snowbanks, ate like a queen, had a jolly good time with the LL Bean indoor hunt - the clues certainly kept me alert - and the beautiful stamps, so many talented carvers. Event organizers - you’ve outdone yourselves.

I loved the area so much that Not A Lone Wolf and I are returning for the Aunt Agatha library event. Hotel already booked!

Warrior Woman
back in the game
US/Mexico border tour
Board: Yakking It Up
Jan 29, 2019 10:38am
Thread Board
it took about 30 minutes to watch every segment.
very interesting.
it shows where there are existing walls, and where there is no wall.

https://www.usatoday.com/border-wall/us-mexico-interactive-border-map/
Reply to: #970785 by screamin meemie
Jan 29, 2019 10:40am
Thread Board
Could you maybe clarify which boxes you are talking about so we can go back and double check? I’ve a lot of boxes to log in and wouldn’t be surprised if I made a mistake somewhere. Hate to be accused of a “fake find”.

Really?! Don't do it! There goes your plausible deniability. In case the letterboxing police come knocking.
Re: Can I just vent
Reply to: #970776 by Crazyolis
Jan 29, 2019 10:43am
Thread Board
What weekend did you pick?
Reply to: #970785 by screamin meemie
Jan 29, 2019 11:01am
Thread Board
You are not one of those who logged it, as least not that I noticed. The box number is in my original post.

I messaged everyone who logged it with the correct number and many have already logged the correct one. Most even deleted their incorrect finds. I expect misidentified logs to happen, but when it's a different type of box altogether...

It's just annoying when the event box had the number written on it yet people just log anything not noticing or caring that it's the wrong type of box. Add in people destroying my puzzle boxes to get the stamp inside and I greatly regret sharing my stamps.
Reply to: #970791 by RIclimber
Jan 29, 2019 11:14am
Thread Board
RIC I sympathize with you. You have always put a lot of thought and creativity into your boxes. To have people destroy them for their own selfish gain is disheartening for you and all our community. One frustration I have is that there are SO MANY boxes at a large event it is impossible to know what is a trad., event, PT, cootie, etc. I wish people would get in the habit of putting a name/number somewhere in the box or stamp. This would make logging finds accurately, for those of us who are particular, easier.
Jan 29, 2019 11:30am
Thread Board
I would say that the people who dashed back a 'oh that's great' response probably didn't really give it a lot of thought. Human nature.

if so and so goes, we won't go

Screw them with that attitude. Seriously. Cross them off the list and move on. Trying to plan something like this is stressful enough without worrying about people like that.

One said they are going on a mini vacation from KY to OH with a stop in Niagara Falls. Since when is Niagara Falls on the way back to KY? And to add insult to injury, I live 90 minutes from NF and have been asking this cousin for YEARS to come visit! So she comes when we are not here??

I imagine they planned this trip when they could go? Maybe you don't have all the pertinent info? .....regardless of a family reunion date? Or whether or not you would be there?

As for the teenage girl thing I agree to keep the original date and get together with whoever shows up and forget the rest of the crap. You'll drive yourself nuts getting stressed out about who does this or that or doesn't do this or that.

There's just a lot of b**ls**t in this world that we have to try and let go of. It can be really hard but it can help us avoid a lot of stress. Life is just too freaking short.

So instead of potentially 14 families, I have maybe 3. Everyone says great idea, but no one wants to commit to going!

Depending on how important this is to you, maybe just tell people that due to not enough people going, it has been cancelled? That's a decision you would have to make. :(
Reply to: #970791 by RIclimber
Jan 29, 2019 11:33am
Thread Board
I can't believe that someone destroyed your (really cool) puzzle box over a stamp. I like to think it's a very small number of people, but some letterboxers feel entitled to stamps/finds even if they can't solve a clue. I can understand your regrets. :-(
Evil Queen/Snow White and 101 Dalmations stamps
Board: State: Connecticut
Jan 29, 2019 11:35am
Thread Board
Does anyone have any recollection where these stamps are? I fear they are all together in my abyss called the POD which is currently in a storage facility. I can't remember who picked up the puppies and Pongo and Perdita for me, or even IF they were picked up.

I believe I remember who picked up Evil Queen, Snow White stamps, and Horace and Jasper from 101 Dalmations were picked up, but I can't find them.

Help!
Thanks!
BB
Jan 29, 2019 11:36am
Thread Board
You will have a blast with the ones who show. Post lots of (potentially) jealousy-inducing photos to Facebook. Love the one you're with.
Re: Somebody's been having fun!
Board: Letterbox Chatter
Reply to: #970778 by Public Hand
Jan 29, 2019 12:11pm
Thread Board
It was a fabulous event full of surprises from before the event and all the way through. But what I found so wonderful was the graciousness of Team Mudcup, the time they took to answer questions, their hospitality, and their gratefulness for us being there. Good people.
Reply to: #970794 by Angel and Demon
Jan 29, 2019 12:18pm
Thread Board
I can't believe that someone destroyed your (really cool) puzzle box

Based on Mud's description, I was afraid it was one of RIC's puzzle boxes......there were SO MANY people there that even if you couldn't sort it out, you could work as part of a team.......no excuse for vandalism
Reply to: #970790 by Goofy girl
Jan 29, 2019 12:23pm
Thread Board
The third weekend in July! You wanna come....you can be part of the family!
Reply to: #970798 by Public Hand
Jan 29, 2019 1:17pm
Thread Board
Agree 100%. People often say that not every box is for every boxer, and it's true. If you can't solve the clue (or in other cases do the hike, etc) then just move on to the next box. There was no shortage of boxes or stamps at this event, so everyone should have been able to find something they could enjoy without resorting to destruction of boxes.
Reply to: #970780 by Janila
Jan 29, 2019 1:25pm
Thread Board
I believe that's called Tea Potty perhaps... if that's not exactly the name, it IS a personal traveler by teacup
Reply to: #970775 by NLW
Jan 29, 2019 1:25pm
Thread Board
Thank you :)
Re: Nine Question Quiz
Reply to: #970762 by Oberon_Kenobi
Jan 29, 2019 2:25pm
Thread Board
Don't you know Scrabble rules? Proper names don't count!

Ok, I'll give you that one but what about dweeb
Re: US/Mexico border tour
Reply to: #970788 by Grrly Girl
Jan 29, 2019 2:29pm
Thread Board
Thanks for this. Can't wait to get home and watch more tonight. Not sure which side was US and which Mexico on the clip I saw--just desert and a road on one side.
Reply to: #970757 by andi's delight
Jan 29, 2019 2:52pm
Thread Board
they haven't been listed yet - I'll get them listed this weekend
Reply to: #970805 by Topcollector
Jan 29, 2019 3:23pm
Thread Board
I believe the tour begins where the mouth of the Rio Grande empties into the Gulf of Mexico and travels west toward San Diego. Very interesting!
Reply to: #970807 by Boxer Lover47
Jan 29, 2019 3:35pm
Thread Board
There are letterboxes along that route. I hope building the wall does not lead to the destruction of any boxes.
Reply to: #970792 by Sagacorn
Jan 29, 2019 4:10pm
Thread Board
I know that I've made some mistakes in the past with logging the wrong box, especially the ones that don't have any clues to jog my memory on where it was found (like was this snowman stamp the one from the lobby or one from someone's door?). Boxes that have the AQ# written in them make it so much easier to log them later, I make sure to write down the number next to the box name in my book.

RIClimber, I totally understand your disappointment in how your boxes were treated, but I just want to let you know that I love your boxes and I'm sorry that someone didn't give them the respect that they (and you) deserve.
Reply to: #970801 by Angel and Demon
Jan 29, 2019 4:13pm
Thread Board
I agree 100% as well. There were so many people at this event and the hotel that simply asking someone, even RIC, for help solving or a little nudge on how to solve would have been the right thing to do. It is absolutely heartbreaking to know that someone would go to such levels as to destroy someone else's property just to get those stamps. Just not cool at all. Thank you RIC for your creativity with those boxes and for all you do to make this hobby so much fun!!!!
Reply to: #970775 by NLW
Jan 29, 2019 4:31pm
Thread Board
Questions identifying stamps

LL Bean 100 stamp behind rifle in case in hunting section

Braum's stamp (shaped like a bottle), I thought it was in Best of America
Jan 29, 2019 4:51pm
Thread Board
Do you think they were logging my event box as your traditional? I had a disney themed event box with the 7 dwarves, daisy, goofy and pluto. But the box names are completely different. I had my name, the name of the box and the AQ# on it, so it doesn't make sense that they'd log mine as yours. :/

AQ 290183
Reply to: #970813 by BaliWho
Jan 29, 2019 5:31pm
Thread Board
The stamps were my grandmothers old set carved back in 2003-2004