Skip to Content
Register · Login
About Theme

A Letterboxing Community

Search

Read Messages

We're not alone... and surrounded by aliens!!
Board: LTC: Trades and Trackers
Jan 28, 2019 10:44am
Thread Board
Gypsy Fiddler and I have been thinking (independently) about the fact that we are not alone! She has a few spots left in her We're not alone... LTC tracker emphasizing imagination and creativity (and does not require [edit: SENDING the] stamp). Due in the mail by June 1.

I have two trackers, Friendly Aliens and Alien Enemies, emphasizing specific aliens. My LTC trackers request that your stamp also be included for an event, but the stamp can be returned to you after the event. Due in the mail May 1 and July 1, respectively.

We hope you will join us in our journey out of this world!
Re: Woo Who for AFD13 - BOW
Board: Letterbox Chatter
Reply to: #970741 by DoubleSaj and Old Blue
Jan 28, 2019 11:17am
Thread Board
Congrats to you!!
Re: Hamilton: Just floatin' it out there.
Board: Region: Great Lakes
Reply to: #970724 by DarkZen and Evil Cow Pie
Jan 28, 2019 11:49am
Thread Board
Yep.

And still holding my hopes out for a Pink Floyd reunion.
Re: LL Bean Night Owl 's Final Flight Event
Board: State: Maine
Reply to: #970738 by mudflinginfools
Jan 28, 2019 12:44pm
Thread Board
Thank you so much for hosting it! We had been to one before so we had a high level of anticipation but this one exceeded everything else we've ever seen! The carves were amazing we loved the clues (not directions!! 8D)

Our hope is to make it back for an event in a slightly kinder month than January? We're still bummed out that we missed the Searsport event because of my first round of surgery.... And failing that we sincerely hope we get to see you again soon!

for everyone who was kind enough to send us a note about not being able to socialize with us I apologize. there was no way I was going to miss a chance to get as many of these phenomenal carves as possible.

For me the funniest part of the entire event was when the Winter Owls series posted while we were on our way headed down to Portland and I ordered Dbare to turn around and go back for them....you should have seen his face!

Thanks again to everyone who contributed but most especially to Team MudCup!!
Somebody's been having fun!
Jan 28, 2019 1:19pm
Thread Board
I opened my mailbox to this. That's just since this morning. I envy all of you guys. Happy boxing!

DZ
Re: Nine Question Quiz
Board: Yakking It Up
Reply to: #970732 by Grrly Girl
Jan 28, 2019 2:20pm
Thread Board
I think #6 is wrong, they forgot Dwight
Re: Somebody's been having fun!
Reply to: #970750 by DarkZen and Evil Cow Pie
Jan 28, 2019 2:57pm
Thread Board
Wow!
Jan 28, 2019 3:21pm
Thread Board
My mailbox has been getting quite a workout since yesterday morning, too. 😊

Looks like people had a lot of fun at the Bean event--wish I'd been able to go!!
Jan 28, 2019 3:26pm
Thread Board
Well deserved!
Jan 28, 2019 3:43pm
Thread Board
My mailbox is blowing up too....I'm happy about it because even though I couldn't go to last weekend's events, getting the find reports & comments makes me feel like I was still there a little bit, in spirit!😊 So glad everyone had so much fun, and inky fingers!
Jan 28, 2019 4:33pm
Thread Board
Think how I feel... I deleted 300 before I passed out yesterday from exhaustion and woke up to 900+ this morning... I'd delete 30 and 10 more would come in... I didn't gain footing until noon!

But yes! Folks have LOVED all the stamps generously donated by so many creative people from so many points around the country... so you were here in spirit!
Reply to: #970713 by Daytrippers 54
Jan 28, 2019 4:36pm
Thread Board
Wow! Just.. wow! Only my second event, and such a wonderful experience. Thank you to Team Mudcup, and all of the carvers. I am in awe of your talent and generosity.
I sent an email out to the group asking about some stamps that I can't figure out how to log, but am wondering if this is a better venue.

1. Duckies w/umbrellas by the pool at Quality Suites
2. Penny Loafers part of the Best Foot Forward Series
and now I have a third one..
3. The hotel Event Stamp (Night Owls...)

Any help would be so appreciated.
Reply to: #970756 by mudflinginfools
Jan 28, 2019 5:21pm
Thread Board
I deleted 300 before I passed out yesterday from exhaustion and woke up to 900+ this morning..

Whoa! That's a lot!
Are you reading them or just deleting?
Reply to: #970757 by andi's delight
Jan 28, 2019 5:35pm
Thread Board
I have a few I don't know the box name/number of also. One is a skunk that was by a door ... and a cassette tape ... in the same vicinity. Also wondering about the plastic ornaments and little words DOE, CIA, ICE, etc.
Reply to: #970756 by mudflinginfools
Jan 28, 2019 5:46pm
Thread Board
You deserve a spa weekend to recoup! (at least!)
Reply to: #970751 by Don't Panic
Jan 28, 2019 6:54pm
Thread Board

Don't you know Scrabble rules? Proper names don't count!

And don't call me a dweeb for being pedantic about it. ;-)
Re: Friday Distraction: How Big Will You Go?
Board: Stamp Carving and Mounting
Reply to: #970669 by Oberon_Kenobi
Jan 28, 2019 7:16pm
Thread Board
The largest I have in the field is about 4x6.
The largest I have found in the field (permanent plant) is 3x5-ish.
The largest stamp I have carved (event stamp) is about 7-8 x 5-ish.
The largest stamp I have carved (PT) is 5" diameter.
I carve on pink.

Lynn
Re: Friday Distraction: How Big Will You Go?
Board: Stamp Carving and Mounting
Reply to: #970763 by Phoenix Rizing
Jan 28, 2019 7:31pm
Thread Board
Let's take a little trip back in time...

Back in 2006, I had just recently started doing Postals. PZKut was in its heyday, and as a fairly new carver, I was very thankful for Webfoot and her dedication to providing us with a quality product. One fine day, Webfoot was discussing Stampeaz in a post. And the intrepid ArtGekko responded.

This gave me an idea...

A bunch of like-minded (read: equally goofy) carvers and I decided to make a Tribute Stamp, to thank Webfoot for her tireless (pun intended) work. It was to be a surprise, but in order to list it, I hid it in plain site in the trackers as PM43530 , which was code for "Post Message #43530", the messageboard post number of ArtGekko's post.

What was it? A full sheet of Orange PZKut, where we carved a full-slab "Stampeaz Bus" with large windows, and sent the slab around to each of the participants, who would carve their SigStamps into an empty window. To the best of my knowledge, this was the first Full-Slab Postal. Once completed, we (we = ArtGekko doing the actual work and me egging her on) made stamped copies of the completed image for each participant, and sent the slab (and logbook) to Webfoot. Surprise!

I have since done (participated in) other full-slab carvings, but this was the first. As far as I know.
Reply to: #970761 by Basset Mom
Jan 28, 2019 9:18pm
Thread Board
You deserve a spa weekend to recoup!

Yeah! Me too, ‘cause, well... I just do. Bring on the hot tub! 😎
Jan 28, 2019 10:23pm
Thread Board
Thank you, always fun to figure out new ways to hide a box.
Jan 29, 2019 4:39am
Thread Board

I know, Dwight was all I could think of!

“D.W.I.G.H.T – Determined, Worker, Intense, Good worker, Hard worker, Terrific.”
Re: Free Stuff
Board: State: North Carolina
Reply to: #970703 by RDHG
Jan 29, 2019 5:32am
Thread Board
I can get them this week if you wish. Wednesday or the weekend is best for me.
Jan 29, 2019 5:53am
Thread Board
And Dwile flonking
Reply to: #970760 by Basset Mom
Jan 29, 2019 6:06am
Thread Board
Cassette - Flashback

plastic ball ornaments - things that Hang (or something like that)

CIA - 301783 - The rest should be numbered around that
Can I just vent
Jan 29, 2019 6:55am
Thread Board
About how sucky people are? Last year, I emailed my family about interest in a family reunion....got a bunch of replies saying oh great idea, let us know, etc. Got a few of probably interested, but cant commit for next summer yet. Got a lot of no responses.

3 weeks ago, sent out an email asking which of two weekends works better and will go with majority. Got a few saying either is fine, not one that said one OR the other. Got a lot of no replies. SO I pick a weekend, work with one cousin to find a place that is sort of in the middle and put out info saying ok, book it. Now all the sudden, no one is free. I got one "if so and so goes, we wont go", one said they have to take a kid to school, and a few non commits. One said they are going on a mini vacation from KY to OH with a stop in Niagara Falls. Since when is Niagara Falls on the way back to KY? And to add insult to injury, I live 90 minutes from NF and have been asking this cousin for YEARS to come visit! So she comes when we are not here??

So instead of potentially 14 families, I have maybe 3. Everyone says great idea, but no one wants to commit to going!

And on another note...whats up with people not planning anything for just an evening. My daughter and I get together during the off season with a bunch of her hockey girls and the moms. We asked over a month ago for dates and settled on this Saturday. A few told us that their girl works on Saturdays, but the rest of them said they had to wait to see if their kid got scheduled. One girl was going to come but all the sudden accepted a babysitting job. Is it not worth asking for one night off? These kids are not working for survival....they don't need this money, these are the kids that have moms that don't blink when buying a $600 prom dress. So out of 9 girls 2 are free. My kid wants to reschedule but I think whats the point...it will be the same thing....a wait and see if they get scheduled or something else comes up.

No one commits to anything anymore....daughter has friends that will say they can do something on a Saturday and then all the sudden cant. Then posts pictures that they are doing something with someone else. Is this just the age? I do not remember doing that when I was a teen. Is it the era? If you blew someone off to do something else with someone else back in the day, there was no digital proof of it and you mostly got away with it. Now they post everything so everyone knows exactly who is doing what with who....

Ok rant over....thanks for listening....obviously I couldn't post this to my facebook as most of the people I am talking about would see it! Its so frustrating to be a pen and everyone else is a pencil.
Re: Can I just vent
Reply to: #970776 by Crazyolis
Jan 29, 2019 7:04am
Thread Board
Have a letterboxing event instead. Plant it and they will come! 🤗
Jan 29, 2019 7:04am
Thread Board
Dbare and I have been to a LOT of events but this beat anything we've ever seen before.....Mud and Teacup were amazing with new "plants" getting posted in layers so just when you thought you were getting through them.....up would sprout another one.

And when you add in everything going on at the Quality Suites.......jeez......I would say the bar could not have been set any higher!!!
Reply to: #970760 by Basset Mom
Jan 29, 2019 7:43am
Thread Board
How about the toilet stamp in the outhouse outside of the front door of the Quality Suites?

And the "Who Cut One" stamp tucked in to a picture frame outside of the bathrooms in the fishing section at LL Bean?

Hmmmm....I sense a potty theme with my issues!
Reply to: #970778 by Public Hand
Jan 29, 2019 8:16am
Thread Board
Agreed!!! The entire weekend was full of surprises and LOTS of ink!!! There were boxes available for all levels of finding. This event was one of the most organized events I have ever attended. Team Mudcup were AWESOME hosts and out did themselves with this Final Flight at LL Bean. Thank you ladies for a job well done. The hotel was buzzing with activity 24 hrs a day the entire weekend!!! Best weekend ever!!!!
Re: Can I just vent
Reply to: #970777 by Acorns4u
Jan 29, 2019 8:26am
Thread Board
And you can call it "The Venting Event" and have people carve stamps of angry (but funny) people and animals (I see a baboon showing teeth, or a howler monkey when thinking of this).
~SD~