A Letterboxing Community

Search

Read Messages

Re: LLB vs QS
Board: Event News and Planning
Reply to: #970607 by twofreetimers
Jan 23, 2019 11:57am
Thread Board
You will do just fine!!!! I have already come to the conclusion that I am not going to get them all. Get as many as you can and just have a great time!!!
Reply to: #970597 by SherlockMiles
Jan 23, 2019 1:48pm
Thread Board
How many hours can a human go without sleep? LOL

Just to keep you on your toes.. I just added 10 more for ya! LOL (All in same box, though)
Reply to: #970597 by SherlockMiles
Jan 23, 2019 1:49pm
Thread Board
Does anyone actually bother with PT's at this event? I'm thinking of leaving mine at home.
Re: Where the heck is my stamp!!??
Board: Yakking It Up
Reply to: #970609 by Public Hand
Jan 23, 2019 1:55pm
Thread Board
Sorry to hear about Taz. 🐶 sending hugs!

On a lighter note, after a prolonged search we found the stamp. He had squirreled it away but luckily it wasn’t any worse for wear. Just a few pointy bite marks. Texture right?

The face of innocence: What stamp!? 😽
Reply to: #970612 by BaliWho
Jan 23, 2019 1:56pm
Thread Board
Last year was our first time to this event and we were up for 41 hours straight!!! We drove up early Saturday, went to the pre gather, then the main event, afterwards we boxed in the area, then traveled back to hartford, CT and stayed overnight!!! We also boxed on our way to CT. Example of why we are staying for the weekend this time!!!! I am bringing my PTs for at the hotel. Might take to pre gathering, not sure.
Coming to visit
Board: State: Arizona
Jan 23, 2019 2:02pm
Board
I’m not sure why I didn’t think of this before, but I’m flying into Phoenix this Saturday if anyone wants to meet up or go boxing. I have about 6 hours to kill on Saturday starting around 11am as long as nothing weird goes wrong with my flight. Message me if you’re interested. Thanks!

4eyes
Ready for some warmer weather
Reply to: #970614 by DarkZen and Evil Cow Pie
Jan 23, 2019 2:10pm
Thread Board
Oh my goodness, he is soooooo handsome!!!!!
Jan 23, 2019 2:14pm
Thread Board
Lol My kitty chewed on my sylvester the cat stamp.
Jan 23, 2019 2:34pm
Thread Board
You know we LOVE ginger cats (have 3 ourselves).....love that innocent look!
Re: LbNA photo by Memere
Board: Letterboxing.org Chatter
Reply to: #970610 by Memere
Jan 23, 2019 2:46pm
Thread Board
Ohhh....cool. Did not know that. Obviously! lol Very nice photo.
Jan 23, 2019 2:52pm
Thread Board
The face of innocence:

lol

What? Who? Stamp? What's a stamp?
Reply to: #970620 by MissMoon
Jan 23, 2019 3:40pm
Thread Board
Thank you.
Reply to: #970617 by Una Marlee Sue
Jan 23, 2019 4:39pm
Thread Board
Thank you! We think so. We love ginger cats too. We adopted two abandoned kitties (both orange) and became converts! One passed and the other one was despondent so we adopted another gingerboy to keep him company - Logan (pictured), the scamp. Ha ha, we love him... but he is precocious.
Reply to: #970623 by DarkZen and Evil Cow Pie
Jan 23, 2019 5:59pm
Thread Board
I remember reading about the one you lost. We lost Karate at 19 years but a week later, Tony was found by my son and his dog.

Tony weighed 14 oz (10 without all the fleas) and was an abandoned runt feral. Took him to our vet and told her to test for FELV and FIP and I didn't want to see "it" until I knew I could fall in love. 10 minutes later her tech came out with Tony in her breast pocket and put him in my lap explaining they couldn't put an unvaccinated kitten in the back. He hunkered down and started purring and all I could think was "BI%$H!!"

He's 18 pounds now and the love of my life AND even more amazing, the spitting image of Karate.
Reply to: #970596 by cooledcoyote
Jan 23, 2019 7:19pm
Thread Board
I clicked on the credit at the bottom and it brought up just the photo with nothing over it. But it said Silver Eagle, not Memere.
Lucky coincidence
Board: Letterbox Chatter
Jan 23, 2019 7:45pm
Thread Board
Jeopardy had a commercial so I checked on A.Q. and saw that lost sailor had found one of my boxes out in the middle of nowhere while he is on a long cross-country trip. I sent an AQ message asking if he got the bonus box as well and went back out to check on Jeopardy. Next commercial I checked again and he'd sent a message that he had not noticed any bonus box clues because it was getting dark and it was cold. He had left and continued his journey. I told him the name of the bonus box and said he could find the clues by checking that box on AQ now that he'd found the parentbox. He had immediately recorded finding the parentbox on his iphone, the bonus box is about thirty miles down the road and so he was still able to score the bonus box. There were so many chances for this to have gone wrong.
Re: Lucky coincidence
Reply to: #970626 by Wronghat
Jan 23, 2019 9:20pm
Thread Board
You planted a bonus box thirty miles from the parent box?
Raisin' 'em right
Jan 23, 2019 9:33pm
Thread Board
A few of my students have stayed after school to carve sig stamps and learn about letterboxing. One of them has planted two boxes in the neighborhood, but what really made my day was the way he asked his letterboxing friend to our middle school dance.
Reply to: #970628 by Kirbert
Jan 24, 2019 2:49am
Thread Board
The definition on AQ for a Bonus Box is "similar to a regular letterbox, except that the clue is planted in another nearby letterbox." I always thought NEARBY meant within a very short walk. What do others think??
Reply to: #970630 by Elle
Jan 24, 2019 3:18am
Thread Board
I think AQ’s not the boss of me 😂😂😂
Reply to: #970625 by Topcollector
Jan 24, 2019 3:27am
Thread Board
The photos rotate every day or so.
Not sure of the schedule, I just appreciate them as they come.

Choi could probably tell you if the photos are in an accessible file somewhere in LbNA.

So far, the photo of the whale tails, "Reverence" is my favorite.
Reply to: #970631 by Sheba
Jan 24, 2019 4:28am
Thread Board
AMEN to that!!!!!!
Jan 24, 2019 6:21am
Thread Board
Look at the expression on that handsome face ! Mischief in the form of a cat. :^)
Reply to: #970630 by Elle
Jan 24, 2019 6:30am
Thread Board
I always thought NEARBY meant within a very short walk. What do others think??

Nearby is relative. There are places in the western US where 30 miles down the road is still the middle of no where. My wife and I stayed at a KOA once outside of Chugwater, Wyoming. Turns out that it was on the property of a large ranch, west of town. From the gate at the edge of town to the ranch house was at least 15 miles of dirt road. Interesting side note - 5 miles along that dirt road was this strange square plot of ground with high fencing and light towers and surveillance cameras. The sign on the fence read something like this..."The base commander has determined that the use of deadly force is justified in defending this property."
Reply to: #970635 by PI Joe
Jan 24, 2019 6:40am
Thread Board
The longest bonus I found was Mission: Impossible, half the stamp was in Redding, the other half in Wallingford.
Jan 24, 2019 7:27am
Thread Board
Wyoming

It's different there, lol.

snbone
who lived in Wyoming for 20 years
Reply to: #970628 by Kirbert
Jan 24, 2019 7:35am
Thread Board
And it's a good thing for lost sailor that I did.
Jan 24, 2019 8:30am
Thread Board
"The base commander has determined that the use of deadly force is justified in defending this property."

That site was a Minuteman nuclear missile silo. It is abandoned now but I think it was still active when we were there over 30 years ago. Now that I think about it, that would be an excellent place for a letterbox except for it being on private property.
Re: Raisin' 'em right
Reply to: #970629 by Wry Me
Jan 24, 2019 9:24am
Thread Board
I’m not crying, you’re crying! Someone get me a tissue.
Reply to: #970626 by Wronghat
Jan 24, 2019 9:31am
Thread Board
I told him the name of the bonus box and said he could find the clues by checking that box on AQ now that he'd found the parentbox.

Interesting. I’ve never encountered a bonus box with the clue posted on AQ, and I don’t know anyone who logs finds in real time, as they go, and then searches for any boxes that show up, dependent on that find. I enjoy examining the logbook and container, and anything associated with it, hoping to discover a clue to a bonus “nearby” while I am still in the area. But I’m not going to spend time logging finds and searching AQ, when I can be enjoying my hike, the views, or the interesting locations.