A Letterboxing Community

Search

Read Messages

Re: Wassa in Westford...
Board: Region: Northeast
Reply to: #970518 by wassamatta u
Jan 21, 2019 3:50pm
Thread Board
You had me all excited until I realized it was the wrong Westford in the northeast.
Re: Disney question
Board: State: Florida
Reply to: #970447 by dancingpecan
Jan 21, 2019 3:54pm
Thread Board
Thanks! I've sent her a message, but haven't heard back yet.
Re: Wassa in Westford... (x-post)
Board: State: Massachusetts
Reply to: #970520 by Rocklun
Jan 21, 2019 4:30pm
Thread Board
What Rocklun said. I don't live far from Westford. Timing is everything!
Reply to: #970520 by Rocklun
Jan 21, 2019 4:41pm
Thread Board
Do you know roughly what time your training ends, Wassa?

This JUST came up today, and really all I know is "4th - 8th, Westford MA". But I suspect there will be a "group dinner" probably Monday night, and probably Thursday night. So Tues or Wed is more LIKELY to be best. I can guarantee Friday is good though! And, I think I'm booking my flight back on Sunday, so I'll likely have Saturday free as well.

But... I hope to have more firm answers in the next couple of days... sorry for the unintentional current vagueness!
Reply to: #970524 by wassamatta u
Jan 21, 2019 4:47pm
Thread Board
No worries! Please keep us posted.

Looking at my schedule, given that Monday and Thursday are out for you, Wednesday night would be best for me at this point. Getting together on Saturday would probably work for me, too.
Does anyone else do this?
Board: State: Michigan
Thread Board
When heading to an event, if I have time, I will sometimes look at the traditional plants by the boxers headed to the event to see if any are PLANET EARTH or UNITED STATES locations on their letterboxes. When I look at the clue, often they are bonus boxes or clues that are specific to another event. But sometimes I've unearthed a letterbox that will be hidden somewhere at the event.

I'm headed to the LL Bean event this weekend and cannot possibly do this with all the letterboxers attending, but it's a bit of fun on a cold night.
Reply to: #970519 by wassamatta u
Thread Board
I'm interested in meeting you!

If you list something, there is a 90% chance I will come - especially if its the weekend and no 495 rush hour traffic to deal with! It's a bit over an hour drive up there, or 4+ hours with traffic...
My Sympathies to Saints Fans
Board: Sports Emporium
Jan 21, 2019 5:17pm
Thread Board
I have no idea what the ref in the Saints - Rams game was watching on THEE non-call play, but I have a theory. I saw a blatant helmet to helmet hit by the defender serious enough for an ejection AND pass interference. The Saints almost assuredly win the game if the penalty is correctly called.

My theory is that the league encourages the officials to "let them play" and allow more contact in the post-season than during the regular season. The problem is that the officials are without guidance as to how much additional contact to allow. The play in question happened fast; did the ref delay, thinking maybe that this was still within "let them play", and then settled on a no-call?

I saw a lot of suspicious non-calls yesterday and last weekend too, and I've always thought "let them play" is a stupid concept. Why have any rules, if they don't count equally in all games.

The Saints should be in the Super Bowl, end of discussion.

Old Blue
Reply to: #970522 by Beachcomber
Jan 21, 2019 6:19pm
Thread Board
Yes Sits n Knits still works @ the xmas store/her 1st name is Dawn.
Reply to: #970525 by Rocklun
Jan 21, 2019 6:25pm
Thread Board
Either day works for me too. Saturdays are usually more laid back, but I can do either day.
Reply to: #970523 by The Vs
Jan 21, 2019 7:37pm
Thread Board
I live one town over from Westford, and would definitely be up for a meetup!
Reply to: #970532 by west dover quidditch team
Jan 21, 2019 8:19pm
Thread Board
I can sense a "mini-midi-major-munchie-meet n greet" sorta thing brewing here! Any thoughts on where we can gather a gaggle of moose-friendly letterboxers in the Westford area? First place that comes to my mind is Chili's in Lowell. Please chime in with other ideas! Saturday is preferential but Wassa will confirm the best date tomorrow and then we can make more definitive plan.

Pete
Re: My Sympathies to Saints Fans
Board: Sports Emporium
Reply to: #970528 by DoubleSaj and Old Blue
Jan 21, 2019 8:20pm
Thread Board
Not going to disagree about that one play. I don't typically watch NFL but was surprised at the lack of penalties called in the Rams-Saints game. There were a grand total of ZERO interference calls made in that game. There was one thrown (offensive interference) but waived off. As badly as that one was call which decided the winner, it was consistent with the calls throughout the game. Although a Ram fan, I do feel the Saints were clearly robbed at that point. It also doesn't help for the NFL league office to say oh yeah we blew that one. The NY office should have the stones to have overruled regardless of the rules. (Oy! Like they did in the review calls farther down in this post).

Overall both games had inconsistencies that make you shake your head in how differently it can be called within the same game. In the comments from the Ram defender mentioned the official thought the ball was tipped. That is the cruelest answer. That person had no business looking into the pocket for a tip? His only responsibility is the contact and catch. You make the call and the referee will overrule if there was a tip.

The even more offensive officiating mind set is not making a call at the end of a game to decide the game. However, not making the call does decide the game.

Prediction is this one play will lead to the ability of replay officials to overrule obvious judgment calls such as that one. Of course then there were issues with the replays in the Patriots-Chiefs game also. The worst was overruling the muffed punt call without clear video evidence.

Having officiated varsity HS basketball for a long-time in my past, big games also can impact an official and they are all human. A little different environment calling a blowout regular season game of non-rivals, then a rivalry game of top 10 state level schools filling a college arena. Then take that up to tournament games when only the best crews are selected adds even more pressure. (Although I personally preferred the big games with large crowds that you only heard boos and cheers. Those were the games we lived to call.) Self doubt is the worst enemy of an official. One close call you wonder about can lead to further issues and missed calls. In this NFL weekend these should have been two of the three best crews in the entire league. The best being reserved for the Super Bowl.

Sorry Saints. Go Rams beat those cheatin' Patriots!
Re: Does anyone else do this?
Reply to: #970526 by Angel Winks
Jan 21, 2019 8:43pm
Thread Board
That's a good idea... maybe just search the boxers from that area?
Re: UK Letterboxing - Facebook group
Board: Country: United Kingdom
Reply to: #970479 by JorvikLB
Jan 21, 2019 9:27pm
Thread Board
I just looked for that group and nothing shows up.

Lynn
Reply to: #970533 by The Merry Pranksters
Jan 21, 2019 9:43pm
Thread Board
{ Any thoughts on where we can gather a gaggle of moose-friendly letterboxers in the Westford area?}

There is a wildlife sanctuary in Westford that I'm pretty sure is moose-friendly.
Print process i haven't seen
Board: Art Corner
Jan 21, 2019 10:23pm
Thread Board
Reply to: #970527 by RIclimber
Jan 22, 2019 4:03am
Thread Board
If its the 9th and weather cooperates, I'd come! (Maybe midday for more socializing and wassa ruminations!)
Re: Does anyone else do this?
Reply to: #970535 by BaliWho
Jan 22, 2019 4:15am
Thread Board
I think that's definitely a good idea. But I happened to find a couple of Planet Earth boxes by a couple of different letterboxers who are traveling to the event and the boxes travel with the boxers. The clues gave a description of what to look for, so I'm going to be on the lookout for them. Who knows? I may or may not have time.

Last summer when I traveled to Ohio, I found a couple of additional boxes because of sneaky clue listings. Loved it when they were there!
Re: Grateful Camping 2019!! *CORRECTION*
Board: The Grateful Letterboxers!
Reply to: #970239 by zess the treehuggers
Jan 22, 2019 5:34am
Thread Board
Whoops! ThiaYack2 pointed out that I wrote, "Most people will be there the weekend of 7/15-17, so plan accordingly!" That should be 7/12-14.

Thanks so much, ThiaYack2!

~zess~
Reply to: #970529 by R gang
Jan 22, 2019 5:56am
Thread Board
Thanks so much!
Re: Print process i haven't seen
Reply to: #970538 by Neoterra
Jan 22, 2019 5:58am
Thread Board
So very cool! Thanks for the link!
Reply to: #970533 by The Merry Pranksters
Jan 22, 2019 6:11am
Thread Board
There's also a Chili's right in Westford. There's always been empty tables the few times I've been there.
British Beer Company in Westford is one of my favorite haunts, but they can get full, especially on weekends.
Re: Print process i haven't seen
Reply to: #970538 by Neoterra
Jan 22, 2019 6:25am
Thread Board
Beautiful!

It certainly shows a different way of doing a multi-color print.
Coddiwomple
Board: Yakking It Up
Jan 22, 2019 6:43am
Thread Board
Coddiwomple

That is all

Warrior Woman
Another new one for me
Jan 22, 2019 6:44am
Thread Board
Coddiwomple.

You’re welcome

Warrior Woman
flexing vocab muscles
Re: Coddiwomple
Reply to: #970546 by Warrior Woman
Jan 22, 2019 6:53am
Thread Board
I love that word! Maybe we can meet up on your/our upcoming adventure?
Best easy hike near Orlando?
Jan 22, 2019 7:16am
Thread Board
Traveling with two folks with knee injuries, but both agree to short hikes on the weekend maybe. We plan on a vist some Ambassador owls, any other suggestions?
Re: Grateful Camping 2019!!!
Board: The Grateful Letterboxers!
Reply to: #970541 by zess the treehuggers
Jan 22, 2019 7:17am
Thread Board
Site #303 on Grateful Row is still up for grabs and we'd really like that nice spot filled by a Grateful Letterboxer. If you want to be central to all the action, book that one! Also, they've added electrical to the campsites along the #100 row and increased the fees there a bit. Nice options!

Have a Grateful Day!!! ;o)

Pete
Re: Best easy hike near Orlando?
Reply to: #970549 by Quarry
Jan 22, 2019 8:02am
Thread Board
In my opinion, as a part time Florida hiker and an almost full time Pennsylvania hiker, all hikes in Florida are much easier than other areas because they are mostly level walks with no rocks in the trails (big time issue here in PA) although there are often roots in the trails. We just completed a hike which led to two boxes in Moss Park which is in Orlando. The walk was lovely and the boxes were terrific.

If you can get to any of Antisocial Veggie's boxes, you will be in for a very unique treat. She is probably the most creative boxer out of the almost 8000 boxes I have found. She is not in Orlando but can be rather easily reached with a drive up I95.

And, as a plug for my own boxes, I just planted 23 new boxes in Central Florida, mostly drivebys and short walks, including several on Merritt Island, home of the Ambassadors.