About Theme

A Letterboxing Community

Search

Read Messages

Soup's On Seeks Carvers
Board: Event News and Planning
Jan 20, 2019 9:17pm
Thread Board
This year my family is hosting our ninth annual Soup's On event in November. We invite boxers to the Western MA region for the day to box, then we have a potluck of crock pot soups for dinner and more boxing in the woods around our home. The theme this year is Autumn.

I am on the lookout for stamps if anyone would be willing to carve, or donate any unused stamps you may have. I can return the stamps or permanently plant them, whatever you like.

Here are some trackers for ideas:

Autumn Holidays
Autumn Scenes
Autumn Treasures

Thanks for considering.
Re: bought Pfeil's L 12/1
Board: Stamp Carving and Mounting
Reply to: #970481 by coldsnap
Jan 21, 2019 1:53am
Thread Board
Re: bought Pfeil's L 12/1
Board: Stamp Carving and Mounting
Reply to: #970481 by coldsnap
Jan 21, 2019 2:01am
Thread Board
I looked into flexcut too, but it sounds like their blades move a bit, which I don't want.

Either one will probably take some getting used to, as these lino cutters are designed to be held in the palm for applying enough force to cut lino or wood. Carving rubber doesn't require as much force, so some of us mount Speedball nibs in Speedball pen holders and hold them like a pen when carving.

I don't think the Flexcut moving will be a problem when cutting rubber. It might be an issue cutting wood, but it's such a quality product that I can't imagine it's a problem. It's more likely a feature!

IIRC, the Flexcut nib can be separated from its wooden handle -- which may be a plus for rubber carving. You could either devise a lighter handle or possibly carve with no handle at all.

If you need your new tool modified, I'm available. I have modified a couple of these things, but not many; I can appreciate that someone paying that kinda cash for a new tool isn't anxious to send it off to me to hack it up.
Re: Soup's On Seeks Carvers
Reply to: #970496 by nosox
Jan 21, 2019 3:10am
Thread Board
I joined - I'll figure out what I'm going to carve after next weekend ;)
Yin and Yang of Doctor Who
Board: Doctor Who
Jan 21, 2019 6:46am
Board
Reply to: #970496 by nosox
Jan 21, 2019 7:34am
Thread Board
I’ll probably join and contribute after I get some of the trackers I’ve signed up for carved!
😜
Ready, Set, Go! A Fall Event in Georgia
Board: State: Georgia
Jan 21, 2019 7:44am
Thread Board
Come join us at Mistletoe State Park in Appling, Georgia for a weekend of letterboxing fun on November 16 and 17. The 2019 theme is Ready, Set, Go! Stamps will feature all the ways you can GO from place to place, short or long distances, by land, by sea, by air. There are hundreds of possible stamps!

https://www.atlasquest.com/showinfo.php?eventId=4134

I hope to see you there!

Mary
Quite Contrary
Reply to: #970502 by DarkZen and Evil Cow Pie
Jan 21, 2019 7:58am
Thread Board
Ditto. Not sure which tracker(s) I'll "fall" into but will help out.
Re: Ready, Set, Go! A Fall Event in Georgia
Board: State: Georgia
Reply to: #970504 by Quite Contrary
Jan 21, 2019 8:27am
Thread Board
Good morning! I just started letterboxing Christmas Eve, and I'm already hooked. I'm excited that there is an event coming to Georgia. I'm looking forward to learning from more experienced folks!

Jay
HappyCamper71
Happy AQ Day to DS
Board: State: Florida
Jan 21, 2019 11:47am
Thread Board
Best wishes for a good year of letterboxing! I hope our paths cross again soon. Your U-Haul Graphics event boxes are unique and wonderful!
Re: Happy AQ Day to DS
Reply to: #970510 by carry on grandma
Jan 21, 2019 12:05pm
Thread Board
It makes me smile to think of how long we've been letterboxing. Happy AQ day, DS!
Homerdoodle events listed
Board: Region: Great Lakes
Jan 21, 2019 12:10pm
Board
We will be having Homerdoodle in the Woods this coming summer at Lake of the Woods in Mahomet, IL. This is a beautiful preserve with a lake, trails, a river, a museum, a golf course, boating, fishing, and camping. July 20, 2019 is the date. Hope you can join us!

The night before we will be gathering at Scotty's Brew House in Champaign, IL for fun and food. Look for the Homerdoodle Eve in Champaign event.

To lead up to these events we are having a Tips, Tricks, and Techniques Event on March 9th, 2019 to give everyone a preview of the park. We have logbook making, container preparation, safety on the trails, poisonous plant identification, and writing clues in code as topics.

We certainly hope you can join us for all of these dates - we can't wait to see everyone!
Re: Free Stuff
Board: State: North Carolina
Reply to: #970396 by Munkeybee
Jan 21, 2019 12:29pm
Thread Board
Hi! Feel free to send me a message when it gets closer, and I will let you know if I still have any of it. Thank you bunches! 😃
Re: Free Stuff
Board: State: North Carolina
Reply to: #970513 by RDHG
Jan 21, 2019 12:57pm
Thread Board
Awesome thanks! PS this is Pugs and Bee, I changed my trail name :)
Reply to: #970510 by carry on grandma
Jan 21, 2019 1:49pm
Thread Board
Thanks. :) I didn't even realize it was my AQversary. Lots of good years, lots of good friends. :)
Reply to: #970515 by DS
Jan 21, 2019 2:52pm
Thread Board
Happy AQ Day DS, looking forward to seeing you very soooon!
Wassa in Westford...
Board: Region: Northeast
Jan 21, 2019 3:13pm
Thread Board
Hello All!
I will be doing some training in Westford, MA from Feb 4th-8th (with a possible hanging-around-for-letterboxing on Sat Feb 9th, if there is some interest).

I'd LOVE LOVE LOVE to meet up with some of my Northeastern Friends, if anyone wants to do a Meet-n-Greet...
Wassa in Westford... (x-post)
Board: State: Massachusetts
Jan 21, 2019 3:14pm
Thread Board
Hello All!
I will be doing some training in Westford, MA from Feb 4th-8th (with a possible hanging-around-for-letterboxing on Sat Feb 9th, if there is some interest).

I'd LOVE LOVE LOVE to meet up with some of my Northeastern Friends, if anyone wants to do a Meet-n-Greet...
Re: Wassa in Westford... (x-post)
Reply to: #970519 by wassamatta u
Jan 21, 2019 3:28pm
Thread Board
Do you know roughly what time your training ends, Wassa? I work pretty close to Westford and could meet you for dinner, depending on which evenings you'd be available.
Re: Wassa in Westford...
Board: Region: Northeast
Reply to: #970518 by wassamatta u
Jan 21, 2019 3:50pm
Thread Board
You had me all excited until I realized it was the wrong Westford in the northeast.
Re: Disney question
Reply to: #970447 by dancingpecan
Jan 21, 2019 3:54pm
Thread Board
Thanks! I've sent her a message, but haven't heard back yet.
Reply to: #970520 by Rocklun
Jan 21, 2019 4:30pm
Thread Board
What Rocklun said. I don't live far from Westford. Timing is everything!
Reply to: #970520 by Rocklun
Jan 21, 2019 4:41pm
Thread Board
Do you know roughly what time your training ends, Wassa?

This JUST came up today, and really all I know is "4th - 8th, Westford MA". But I suspect there will be a "group dinner" probably Monday night, and probably Thursday night. So Tues or Wed is more LIKELY to be best. I can guarantee Friday is good though! And, I think I'm booking my flight back on Sunday, so I'll likely have Saturday free as well.

But... I hope to have more firm answers in the next couple of days... sorry for the unintentional current vagueness!
Reply to: #970524 by wassamatta u
Jan 21, 2019 4:47pm
Thread Board
No worries! Please keep us posted.

Looking at my schedule, given that Monday and Thursday are out for you, Wednesday night would be best for me at this point. Getting together on Saturday would probably work for me, too.
Does anyone else do this?
Board: State: Michigan
Thread Board
When heading to an event, if I have time, I will sometimes look at the traditional plants by the boxers headed to the event to see if any are PLANET EARTH or UNITED STATES locations on their letterboxes. When I look at the clue, often they are bonus boxes or clues that are specific to another event. But sometimes I've unearthed a letterbox that will be hidden somewhere at the event.

I'm headed to the LL Bean event this weekend and cannot possibly do this with all the letterboxers attending, but it's a bit of fun on a cold night.
Reply to: #970519 by wassamatta u
Thread Board
I'm interested in meeting you!

If you list something, there is a 90% chance I will come - especially if its the weekend and no 495 rush hour traffic to deal with! It's a bit over an hour drive up there, or 4+ hours with traffic...
My Sympathies to Saints Fans
Board: Sports Emporium
Jan 21, 2019 5:17pm
Thread Board
I have no idea what the ref in the Saints - Rams game was watching on THEE non-call play, but I have a theory. I saw a blatant helmet to helmet hit by the defender serious enough for an ejection AND pass interference. The Saints almost assuredly win the game if the penalty is correctly called.

My theory is that the league encourages the officials to "let them play" and allow more contact in the post-season than during the regular season. The problem is that the officials are without guidance as to how much additional contact to allow. The play in question happened fast; did the ref delay, thinking maybe that this was still within "let them play", and then settled on a no-call?

I saw a lot of suspicious non-calls yesterday and last weekend too, and I've always thought "let them play" is a stupid concept. Why have any rules, if they don't count equally in all games.

The Saints should be in the Super Bowl, end of discussion.

Old Blue
Re: Disney question
Reply to: #970522 by Beachcomber
Jan 21, 2019 6:19pm
Thread Board
Yes Sits n Knits still works @ the xmas store/her 1st name is Dawn.
Reply to: #970525 by Rocklun
Jan 21, 2019 6:25pm
Thread Board
Either day works for me too. Saturdays are usually more laid back, but I can do either day.
Reply to: #970523 by The Vs
Jan 21, 2019 7:37pm
Thread Board
I live one town over from Westford, and would definitely be up for a meetup!