A Letterboxing Community

Search

Read Messages

Re: Sleeping Giant State Park
Board: State: Connecticut
Reply to: #970307 by Trailhead Tessie
Jan 15, 2019 8:41am
Thread Board
So excited! Will be checking on the WB boxes ASAP!
opening with quick turn-around
Board: LTC: Trades and Trackers
Jan 15, 2019 10:27am
Board
Re: carving medium question
Board: Stamp Carving and Mounting
Reply to: #970339 by QueenMother'n'CloudWalker
Jan 15, 2019 10:41am
Thread Board
Welcome Back! What a happy day to see your trail name!
Jan 15, 2019 12:06pm
Thread Board
Thanks everyone! I appreciate the input.
Re: Are links safe?
Board: Yakking It Up
Reply to: #970294 by Green Tortuga
Jan 15, 2019 1:08pm
Thread Board
Thanks for your reply, Ryan. All good points, and I do feel pretty safe on AQ. 8~)
Re: Spoiler Tag
Board: Suggestion Box
Reply to: #970337 by gemini girl
Jan 15, 2019 4:52pm
Thread Board
Virtual pin-up censor bars. With detailed descriptions underneath.
Re: Spoiler Tag
Board: Suggestion Box
Reply to: #970357 by Wry Me
Jan 15, 2019 5:05pm
Thread Board
Virtual pin-up censor bars

👍
Jan 16, 2019 11:43am
Thread Board
This list all looks like it came from Stampeaz. The responses you have gotten already have been pretty spot on, but here's the official list.

1. Mystery C - was a mistake at the factory that came out rubbery and I thought it was difficult to carve on, which was why I graded it as "C" and sold it for really cheap. I used some of it as simple background stamps that didn't require much detail and that was pretty much all it was good for.
2. NZ Kut, as people have noted was the iteration before OZ. A little more elastic than OZ, but still takes good detail. If you sand it before doing your transfer, it will take both the transfer and the printing ink better.
3. B sounds like an old block of PZ Kut. I believe I always identified which material I was grading after PZ Kut went away, so OZ would have been marked OZ-B.
4. OZ still had a little elasticity and release issues, but held detail well and, if sanded before you do your transfer should hold ink without much difficulty.
5. Really shiny on both sides sounds like Firm Kut. It was my first try at a new formulation after PZ Kut was wrenched from my little webbed feet. It's pretty firm, definitely requires sanding before use and needs some patience to work with, but I've been able to do some amazingly detailed carvings with it.

Currently, I've got Tan-Z Kut. It's still a bit firmer than PZ Kut, but not as elastic as the other tries I've made at reformulation, so cuts release better. I like it pretty well and it seems to do well with most inks. I still always sand before transfer, but I think that helps any block. If you want to look at responses from my various testers when I was developing the stuff, the final tests start on my (recently much neglected) blog here: Tan-Z Sample Results Round 1. There are several other posts after that in fairly quick succession, if you want to see some amazing carvings and read about the various tests it was put through.

I hope that's helpful. :)

Webfoot
Reply to: #970359 by Webfoot
Jan 16, 2019 1:12pm
Thread Board
Thank you Webfoot! Very helpful! Yes, they did all come from Stampeaz......I hope to try some of that Tan-Z cut soon :)

QM
Welcome to Blue Heron Nature Preserve
Jan 16, 2019 2:03pm
Thread Board
I just noticed there's a new member called Blue Heron Nature Preserve and I was curious so I clicked on them. Kudos! Three boxes planted today in a 30 acre nature park in Atlanta, GA. I think it's great that they sponsor this fun outdoor activity for their visitors. I'm in the dreary Midwest so I won't be visiting anytime soon, but thought it was interesting.

https://bhnp.org/
Re: Welcome to Blue Heron Nature Preserve
Reply to: #970364 by Jabber
Jan 16, 2019 3:03pm
Thread Board
I was there about a week ago to look for a older box, when I got home I found three more boxes listed on ldna... and now these. Yay! Very pretty park, it is a bit flood prone.
The Masked Singer
Board: Television: After the Show Ends
Jan 16, 2019 6:07pm
Thread Board
Anybody watched? Hubby and I are having fun trying to solve the clues to each individual's identity.
Re: Mardi Gras Tracker
Board: LTC: Trades and Trackers
Reply to: #970332 by Oberon_Kenobi
Jan 16, 2019 6:35pm
Thread Board
Hahaha I loved that he glitter bombed those awful people!!
Hey there!
Board: State: Texas
Jan 16, 2019 6:48pm
Thread Board
Hey there! I just wanted to check in and say hello to fellow letterboxers in my area. I am returning to letterboxing after a long (10 year) break. I started back in 2005 and just picked it up again recently. I can imagine a lot has changed in the last decade and thought I would introduce my new trailname and get the inside scoop on the state of ‘boxing in Texas.

I live in east Texas and am planning to start planting some more boxes around soon. I’ve seen several posts on boxes washing away; any suggestions for trying to secure them? Also, what do people generally use as small containers? Most of my original plants were in film canisters, but those are hard to come across now.

Anywhos, it’s nice to be back, and I hope to see y’all out on the trails!
Letterboxing in a group
Board: Stupider Questions About Letterboxing
Jan 16, 2019 6:59pm
Thread Board
What are your general tips for letterboxing as a large-ish group, such as with a family or scout troop? I can imagine being stealthy can get tricky if there are many people in a group reading and discussing clues, looking for the box, stamping in, etc. I would like to introduce letterboxing to a Girl Scout troop I’m leading, but want to go in with a plan for managing risk to the box. Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Re: Welcome to Blue Heron Nature Preserve
Reply to: #970364 by Jabber
Jan 16, 2019 7:35pm
Thread Board
Three boxes planted today in a 30 acre nature park in Atlanta, GA.

There are no signs leading to it not being someone representing the actual nature preserve. They are all store bought stamps, but as long as they are into this then it is an encouraging sign.
Re: Hey there!
Reply to: #970370 by Bandit Raccoon
Jan 16, 2019 7:35pm
Thread Board
Welcome back, Bandit Racoon! I'm a relative newcomer to the scene but am pretty active in the Austin area, along with a good number of others as well. Looking forward to having more boxes out in east Texas - Harvey and other flood events have definitely made it more challenging to keep boxes around. I try to avoid putting boxes along creeks or other low-lying areas since flash flooding in Central Texas happens all the time. And putting a really big heavy rock over the box can help too. For outdoors single boxes, I've invested in some LnLs (or knockoffs), and when I do a series, I generally only put logbooks in the last box, so that will be a LnL, but then I use pill bottles (without logbooks) for the others.

Check out the events listing - a small group of us will be doing a planting day out in west Austin in a few weeks, and the annual TALE event will be in Kerrville in March. Sign up if you can! And another thought - there are lots and lots of boxes in the Austin area you can get anytime - especially at McKinney Roughs Nature Park, where Live & Breathe XX was held just a few months ago.

Hope to see you on the trails! Origami Hen

P.S. If you go to Houston and have time, check out my "Owl Be Back" box at Rice University. I'm kinda proud of that carve. :)
Reply to: #970359 by Webfoot
Jan 16, 2019 7:37pm
Thread Board
I see that there is still some Gray-Z still left. It is thin enough to work for micro-postals. When you make another run of Tan-Z it would be useful to have some material as thin as Gray-Z.
Re: Letterboxing in a group
Reply to: #970371 by Bandit Raccoon
Jan 16, 2019 7:43pm
Thread Board
I haven't boxed with a large group, but I do have some suggestions. When you get close to the box, perhaps 50 to 100 feet, have only two or three go ahead for the box. Some adult should accompany them to make sure that they don't damage terrain and to make sure that it will be hidden as it is supposed to be. Then the others can be lookouts, and signal with some known but non-obvious (to muggles) signal.

They bring the box back to the group, who stamps in. Then they go back to hide it, with the adult to supervise.
Jan 16, 2019 7:47pm
Thread Board
Would it be possible to go to a location where there is more than one box? I think it would be a lot more fun for everyone if you could split your troop into small groups, like an adult with 3-4 girls. Groups could rotate thru finding different boxes at the location. If you don't have a place with several boxes maybe you could plant a few using store-bought stamps.

You could ask the girls ahead of time about what ideas they have for finding a box without muggles being aware of what they're doing. Since they're Girl Scouts they might be doing all kinds of things like examining trees, leaves, or rocks for badges. Or looking for birds or other wildlife. If they're in small groups they have built-in distraction capabilities, like playing tag or hide and seek while one person discreetly finds the box. That's another reason why it would be nice to look for several boxes since the girls could take turns being the finders and the distracters.

As for stamping in, it would be important to move away from the hiding spot and to have a cover story about what they're doing. Again, being Girl Scouts is good for cover stories.

I'm sure before you go out you'll be teaching the girls about being stealthy when looking for the box and putting it back, and how important it is to seal up the contents properly and thoroughly hide the box. As long as they understand that I bet they'll have some great ideas about how to be sneaky.
Jan 16, 2019 7:52pm
Thread Board
You might want to plant a box or two for the girls to find, rather than having them find someone else's box. That way, you can teach them about being stealthy, rehiding properly, etc. without worrying about endangering an existing box.
Reply to: #970377 by Dawnkey
Jan 16, 2019 9:21pm
Thread Board
You could ask the girls ahead of time about what ideas they have for finding a box without muggles being aware of what they're doing. [...] As long as they understand that I bet they'll have some great ideas about how to be sneaky.

This is an excellent idea! When they have previously been engaged in thinking of ideas, then go out the same day and apply those principles they will be as stealthy as the can be.
Re: The Masked Singer
Board: Television: After the Show Ends
Reply to: #970367 by The Blue Rose Gang
Jan 17, 2019 2:22am
Thread Board
Yeah, it's a fun show. I'm 1 for 2 at guessing. I want to know who the bee is.
Reply to: #970381 by Oberon_Kenobi
Jan 17, 2019 3:43am
Thread Board
PLEASE make sure they learn what letterboxing is. The badge does not have that as a requirement. Another suggestion - do a series, divide the troop up depending on the number of clues, and have each group locate each of the series. If there was only one clue, I would have a scout or a couple of scouts with a leader/adult find the letterbox, stamp in, return the box to its hiding place and return to the group. Continue on until everyone has found, stamped in, and replaced the letterbox. My troop, when going on any trip, would want to see where letterboxes could be located. It then became another adventure and a fun trip. To start teaching letterboxing to my troop, I made up a series near where we would meet. I planted them and each girl had their own to figure out the clues and locate 'her' letterbox. They all stamped in, and continued until each scout found theirs. After they had experienced a few finds in the area and on trips, they decided to teach a class to make money for more trips.
Jan 17, 2019 4:19am
Thread Board
You might want to check out the Scout's Honor board or do a search for this topic. I am thinking somebody has some really nice resources on how they have presented letterboxing to scout troops, but I have no idea who!
Re: Sleeping Giant State Park
Board: State: Connecticut
Reply to: #970348 by shamrock mom
Jan 17, 2019 5:56am
Thread Board
I was at Kettletown SP recently, which had unbelievable damage from the same storm. The 3-mile Pomperaug-Crest Trail loop had hundreds of blowdowns, all of which had been cleared off of the trails. I mean the full length of the trail was blowdowns, not just patches. The Miller Trail loop to the north fared better, but one section also had severe damage. The good news is that despite the massive tree carnage, I was able to find all seven boxes I was looking for. One I had to crawl into the crown of a fallen tree, but it wasn't that bad. Another I had to step over some limbs. I hope most of the boxes at Sleeping Giant fare as well as the ones at Kettletown. Here's a photo at Kettletown: https://photos.app.goo.gl/DaUw29R4qKP7yiBb6
Re: Hey there!
Reply to: #970374 by Origami Hen
Jan 17, 2019 6:00am
Thread Board
Pill bottles are probably the best for small boxes. For normal size I use locking containers I get at Home Goods. If I think a box has chance of being washed away, I connect it to a tree with fishing line.

Hope to meet you in person soon, or find some of your boxes!!!
New member and new box listed
Board: New Members' Board
Jan 17, 2019 6:39am
Thread Board
Hello! I just joined AtlasQuest to list a box in honor of my father, my main hiking buddy for my whole life. He passed away in 2017, and this letterbox is full of love and pictures of him hiking with his favorite people.

If anyone is in Connecticut and would like a beautiful hike it would mean a lot to me to know if it is been found and how the hike was!

Sorry if this isn't clear, I'm very new to this website and still learning the ropes, but the box has been listed. It is called "Cows on the Regicide"
Jan 17, 2019 6:56am
Thread Board
I would also like to add to what others contributed that the group should have a group stamp for using in the found box's log. I've done maintenance on some of my boxes that Scouts have found that have one image per page, same date, same skill level. That can fill up a logbook in a hurry.

It's good if each Scout has their own logbook for stamping the found box's stamp into. Just remember, the bigger the group the longer this will take.

That being said, I've done whole events just for Scouts at camp, in parks, and at local businesses.
Jan 17, 2019 7:29am
Thread Board
All these ideas are very similar to what we did with our Scout group. First we would introduce them to the idea of letterboxing and explain some common terms. Then we let our older Scouts carve a few simple stamps and hide them for the younger girls. The older Scouts really enjoyed writing their own Clues and carving the stamps. If you don't have older Scouts to help out consider partnering with another Scout Troop or the adults could hide pre-made stamps and write clues for the girls to find in a confined area before the first trip.
Absolutely carve group stamp. This makes it so much easier. Give each girl her own logbook. 1 stamp pad for each small group of 3-4 girls. We made a profile here (AQ) for our girls to teach then the "tech" side of letterboxing. This could translate into part of a computer/ tech badge also.

When searching for letterboxes it is a very good idea to have the girls practice being stealthy. Let them come up with their own diversions.

Another good idea is to break them into small groups no more than 4 to a group. We randomly assigned our girls positions such as 1. Lookout (stayed with the diversion scout), 2.shoe tier (diversion for muggles) , & 3.clue reader, 4. searcher (these stay together). Moms enjoyed helping out.

In our area, it's hard to find multiple stamps in one location. So we acted like we were on a nature walk (studying plant signs & stopping to read them). We gathered pinecones, bark, leaves.... all while searching for the box. After finding it, we sat in a nearby secluded area, pretending to observe our pinecones, all the while passing & logging our letterbox find.

Hope this helped! Happy hunting!