Board: LTC: Tips, Questions, and Stuff
Reply to: #969938 by DarkZen and Evil Cow Pie
Jan 3, 2019 10:44am
Thread Board
Flat Mailer
Board: LTC: Trades and Trackers
Jan 3, 2019 10:45am
Thread Board
I've heard about the flat mailers. These are cheaper than using bubble mailers. What exactly are flat mailers and where do I get them?
Re: Newbies and Oldies
Reply to: #969938 by DarkZen and Evil Cow Pie
Jan 3, 2019 11:04am
Thread Board
Whoa! DZ and ECP! First of all I do not have nearly enough of your cards!! Second of all - fantastic art!!
Reply to: #969950 by aMAZEing adventure frog
Jan 3, 2019 11:12am
Thread Board
http://amazeingadventurefrog.blogspot.com/

I LOVE your blog!! It is jam-packed with great ideas, techniques, photos, and how-to's, and of course, your aMAZEing artwork!!
Re: Flat Mailer
Reply to: #969951 by Oberon_Kenobi
Jan 3, 2019 11:15am
Thread Board
Flat mailers are manila envelopes. They come in a few different sizes. The binder page of LTCs can be folded in 3rds. The cards don't fall out of the binder page and clump in the envelope when you use this folding technique. :-)
Jan 3, 2019 11:19am
Thread Board
I've bought them at OfficeMax, but also seen them at Meijer and WalMart in the school and office supply section, probably called "document mailer". Just need a 9x12 or so if you want to put a trading card binder page in it. I also frequently use a 5x7 one. Some people remove the metal grommet, I just tape over it. The postage seems to be the same regardless of whether it's large or small, but definitely cheaper than a bubble mailer!
Reply to: #969954 by Linden Leaf
Jan 3, 2019 11:23am
Thread Board
Flat mailers are manila envelopes. They come in a few different sizes.

Okay, I've got some of those. I've actually used one once for an LTC tracker. I just didn't know that I was using "flats".
Jan 3, 2019 11:27am
Thread Board
I think most of us use a 9x12 manila envelope, covered with clear tape to make it reusable, and slip in a 9-up trading card sleeve. The pockets can each hold 1 or 2 finished cards in individual sleeves if there aren't thick embellishments.

I have also used a regular #10 business envelope when the swap is for 9 or fewer cards. A 9-up sleeve will tri-fold and fit inside. I also include a self-addressed stamped envelope (sase) because I don't expect the host to reuse the original one. Always be sure and follow the swap host's preferences if they are stated.

I cut the binding edge (three hole punched tab) off the 9-up sleeve to save room. I also almost never use individual sleeves anymore unless I feel something might get damaged like an applique or embossed area. I never use glitter, but really appreciate it when someone who uses it puts their card into a sleeve.
Re: Only $14.99 per box! (Compass not included)
Board: Letterbox Chatter
Reply to: #652264 by greenmountainhiker
Jan 3, 2019 1:31pm
Thread Board
It couldn't be better put GMH.!!!!!!!
Reply to: #375453 by Kirbert
Jan 3, 2019 1:46pm
Thread Board
It's very effective when closed securely. Unfortunately, there are many letterboxers who don't feel the need to close screw-top containers securely, so these boxes usually get wet inside sooner or later.

I plan on the inside eventually getting wet. That is why I put everything in plastic bags. I use the container as a hard shell to protect the plastic bags. The container also served to keep out bugs.
Re: Mystery Postal #418 is open
Board: Postals
Reply to: #969941 by IrishRef
Jan 3, 2019 2:06pm
Thread Board
Reply to: #969960 by Knotty Lady
Jan 3, 2019 2:38pm
Thread Board
Yummy !!!
Reply to: #969960 by Knotty Lady
Jan 3, 2019 7:17pm
Thread Board
This hilariously almost works. Although tongue in cheek, if sending in a guess please go through AQMail instead of the boards. But it is amazing what you can find on-line for just about any topic.
Jan 3, 2019 7:32pm
Thread Board
I just used a cardboard envelope mailer, and since I didn't need it protected, it cut the price from $3.50 to $1.48. It's the 5x7 or whatever size we normally use in bubble mailers. It uses non-machinable stamps (the blue butterfly).
Box of the Month 2019 Charleston WV
Board: State: West Virginia
Jan 3, 2019 7:34pm
Board
If traveling through the Charleston, WV area check out the Box of the Month 2019 series. This will be one location that will have a new stamp planted each month. The first one is my carving of the new Doctor Who. Eleven others from various carvers will also be available. Check out the following tracker in case you will be going through. Also feel free to contact me for an exchange. It is located just west of Charleston along I-64.

https://www.atlasquest.com/showinfo.php?boxId=300992

Happy New Year and letterboxing,

IrishRef
Re: Mystery Postal #418 Clue 3
Reply to: #969897 by IrishRef
Jan 3, 2019 7:59pm
Thread Board
Clue 3 = MTV
Re: Reading Challenge Anyone??
Board: Reading Room
Reply to: #969944 by Brandy
Jan 3, 2019 8:20pm
Thread Board
I'd like to get my hands on a copy of that graveyard book of yours. When are you going to publish it?
Reply to: #969952 by Linden Leaf
Jan 3, 2019 9:24pm
Thread Board
Aww, thanks LL. Appreciate the kinds words. Coming from you that means a lot. Which reminds me I need to update our account....
Reply to: #969950 by aMAZEing adventure frog
Jan 3, 2019 9:33pm
Thread Board
Oh! Great blog. I can’t wait to pore over it more thoroughly! Thanks for sharing.

Also, would love to follow you on Instagram, hint hint! 😄
online coder
Board: CCCP Home
Jan 3, 2019 10:19pm
Thread Board
I'm looking for a free online coder to create what I'll describe here as
a 2D coded image that can only be read by looking at the edge of paper.
Re: online coder
Reply to: #969970 by aMAZEing adventure frog
Jan 3, 2019 10:40pm
Thread Board
Are you talking about a stereogram? If so there is a free generator here:

http://www.hidden-3d.com/index.php?id=msg_gen
Jan 3, 2019 10:48pm
Thread Board
You could try Snotes. It looks okay.

I'll post more if I find some.
Reply to: #969971 by DarkZen and Evil Cow Pie
Jan 3, 2019 10:51pm
Thread Board
Re-reading your post, maybe you meant anamorphic writing?

http://www.sheaff-ephemera.com/list/anamorphic_writing.html

I’ve always made these by hand. Maybe there is an online generator for these as well.

DZ
Reply to: #969972 by Oberon_Kenobi
Jan 3, 2019 11:51pm
Thread Board
If you have Inkscape (which is free) you can make your own. Here are two videos on how to do what you want for one word or line of text. Just use a circle to conform the text to, and then rotate each piece of the text.
Re: Letterboxing Conversations
Board: State: Michigan
Reply to: #969832 by Angel Winks
Jan 4, 2019 1:20am
Thread Board
I was looking at that when SuperHedgeHoggie posted about it.

I'm tempted, but haven't really had the energy to carve or plant. Haven't planted or carved in well over a year. Heck, I have three or four stamps carved for your area since 2012, since before moving to North Carolina, but haven't ever gotten around to figuring out a place for them.
Although, it looks like Nic wants to go that way for his 40th in a couple of months to show me his individual tour of GR when he lived there in 2015/16. Don't know if there will be any letterboxing on that trip, but a week later will be my 10 year anniversary as a letterboxer.
Reply to: #969959 by Oberon_Kenobi
Jan 4, 2019 1:32am
Thread Board
I plan on the inside eventually getting wet. That is why I put everything in plastic bags.

Unfortunately, those same boxers don't see the need to close baggies properly either. You'd be amazed at how often I've checked on my boxes and instead of the log book in one baggie and the stamp in another, both items are crammed into one baggie where they don't fit and hence the baggie cannot be sealed shut, and the other baggie left empty and just crammed back into the box.
Happy New Year, Happy New Meh - Missing Logbook
Jan 4, 2019 2:42am
Thread Board
Happy New Year. Hope the New Year and holidays treated everyone okay.

I'm still here and still logging on here. Maybe not with the same frequency as say four years ago or eight years ago, but still here and looking.

One of the reasons I have been a little more recently inactive is that my logbook, the one used at the Fall event, Popo's event, a NC event, and that event last winter disappeared. I bought a new one right before going to Texas for Live and Breathe. Nic and I cleaned out my car in the middle of November, and the logbook wasn't found. There were stamps in it that I hadn't gotten around to recording yet. It has crushed me.

Also, I've just have been still rather depressed. Meh.

Nic has been great. He's like the Felix to my Oscar. He cleans and cooks. Although, I am a bit of a germaphobe and he isn't. Nic is optimistic in some ways and has survived some things that others cannot. He has some health concerns and some other issues that are a bit of a new challenge for me in this past year. The past two weeks have been tough between the health issues and the other concerns.

Anyway, still here. Still planning on going to the upcoming winter event. Planning on going to Geek Fest in NC. Not sure if I will make it to the Sagatuck one. The plan is to take a longer trip to North Carolina as Nic has never been to the ocean and isn't sure if he can handle the long car ride.

Again, I am here, but just a little inactive over my missing logbook and depression.
Re: Happy New Year, Happy New Meh - Missing Logbook
Reply to: #969977 by koalacat
Jan 4, 2019 4:17am
Thread Board
Hugs to you, koalacat. Take care of yourself.
Jan 4, 2019 5:25am
Thread Board
It's not complicated to make your own. Let me know if you want to try it.
Re: Happy New Year, Happy New Meh - Missing Logbook
Reply to: #969977 by koalacat
Jan 4, 2019 7:34am
Thread Board
We all struggle through different things. I believe that you will find that logbook and the fog that’s covering you right now will be lifted. I still want to make it over to you so we can go boxing!!!

Hugs to you!!
4eyes
Having issues herself