A Letterboxing Community

Search

Read Messages

Re: herbology
Board: Health and Fitness
Reply to: #969699 by Linden Leaf
Dec 27, 2018 6:18pm
Thread Board
I'm just looking for a good beginner's resource for a person that knows absolutely nothing about medical botany..any suggestions?
Gray-Z
Board: Stamp Carving and Mounting
Dec 27, 2018 6:21pm
Board
Today I finished putting together my first micro-postal. I've received them before, but hadn't yet put one together.

Anyway, I used Gray-Z for the stamp. As I thought, it turned out to be thin enough to be the stamp in a micro-postal. It is also light enough to be sent (along with the logbook) and still be under an ounce.

I finished carving the stamp on Tuesday. Gray-Z is tougher than OZ and Tan-Z. It did separate easier than Tan-Z. Being about half as thin as other carving materials, I had to be a bit careful so that I didn't cut all of the way through. It is also darker and therefore harder to see the lines.

It does seem to hold ink well though, but that may be because I cut thin (1 - 1.5 mm wide) lines, and was careful to press everywhere to pick up and leave ink.

Overall, it seems like a good carving material. Nevertheless, I think that I'll keep it for micro-postals since it doesn't need to be cut thinner for this purpose.
Reply to: #969694 by InkTap
Dec 27, 2018 7:36pm
Thread Board
Googling turns up lots of hits: https://www.fs.fed.us/wildflowers/ethnobotany/medicinal/index.shtml

Or: https://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/medical-marijuana-faq

Maybe if you could be more specific about what you are looking for?
Reply to: #969706 by DarkZen and Evil Cow Pie
Dec 27, 2018 8:04pm
Thread Board
yeah, I did the google thing. I'm not interested in paganism, witchcraft, or hogwarts..lol. Not necessarily marijuana, either. I am looking for a basic introductory text on plants, nomenclature, preparations. My thoughts are to complement my future ADN (starting in Jan) with herbology on a personal level.
I was hoping to narrow the search, beginning with more informed persons' recommendations from experience.
Reply to: #969707 by InkTap
Dec 27, 2018 8:44pm
Thread Board
Have you gone to any health food or herbal stores? I do a lot more with oils, herbs, chinese medicine for healing. But I really dont know how to prepare them. I buy already finished products. Hmm...I wonder if a chiropractor or even a massage therapist would have good information for you? Another idea - I have a really good library. I have just gone to talk to them and told them things that I'm interested in and I have been able to connect with people that way. Basically I left my name and number at the front desk and told them if they know of anybody that can help me just have that person call me. Weird, yes. Kind of. But it has worked.
ORLANDO AREA HELP ME PROPOSE TO MY GF
Board: Letterbox Chatter
Dec 27, 2018 11:39pm
Thread Board
So, my girlfriend Kelsi and I have been dating for a year and a half and been friends for almost our entire lives. We bonded at the beginning of our relationship over letterboxing. It has been such an adventurous and enticing hobby. I want to propose to her, in letterbox fashion. I’m taking her to Walt Disney World in Orlando for New Years but I don’t want to be like every other chap in the world proposing at Magic Kingdom. Can anyone help me in the Orlando area!? We’re going to go out letterboxing on the 1st of January.
Re: ORLANDO AREA HELP ME PROPOSE TO MY GF
Reply to: #969709 by See Ya Never
Dec 28, 2018 2:09am
Thread Board
Oh I wish I were local and I'd carve a special stamp and hide it somewhere where you were going for you!!! I hope someone in Orlando is available to help make it special! Maybe you could get a special AQ background with rings or something?! (hint hint) Good luck and Congrats!
Dec 28, 2018 3:31am
Thread Board
I hope your girl friend does not log on to AQ, If she does, you blew the surprise.
Re: Planting supplies for sale
Board: State: Georgia
Reply to: #969700 by roses1007
Dec 28, 2018 3:46am
Thread Board
those containers are between $1 & $3 in my area. $40 is a big markup.
Dec 28, 2018 4:19am
Thread Board
Google "Hidden Mickey" to see if you want to incorporate that into your plans.
Dec 28, 2018 4:48am
Thread Board
I'm not on the area, but my friend's fiance did manage to slip her ring into a letterbox shortly before she found it. I think she'd gone to the restroom or something and he was able to find it and put it in there before she came back out. She thought it was fake and that a geocasher had put it in there at first :)
Good luck!!!!
Re: Boxing on Boxing Day
Reply to: #969687 by Oberon_Kenobi
Dec 28, 2018 5:11am
Thread Board
Team Mad Dawg and I went for our annual Boxing Day adventure. We first celebrated boxing day together in 2003 and have only missed one year (my fault--major surgery) and had to delay once due to weather--made it out the next day! Both of our families know not to expect us for anything on this day, and we both take off from work even.

This year we went to Woodland Cemetery in Dayton, Ohio. A beautiful day!! High 40s, sunny, no wind. Found 24 boxes, TMD hit the 3K mark and we laughed a lot.
Woodland Cemetery Boxing Day
Board: State: Ohio
Dec 28, 2018 6:00am
Board
TMD and I once again celebrated Boxing Day by letterboxing, of course! We have been getting together on this date since 2003!! This year was especially wonderful as TMD hit the 3K mark on finds. Pretty nifty!

This year, we visited Woodland Cemetery in Dayton as we had not been there in quite a while and there were many boxes we had yet to find. The weather was perfect and almost all of the boxes were found in great shape. A shout out to I Dig Toasters who was the last to find before us!

Also a shout out to Martians 4 who as always provided us with clever titles, fun clues and amazing carves.

May the coming year be full of boxing adventures for all of you--

Mama Stork
Reply to: #969712 by Stitches
Dec 28, 2018 7:34am
Thread Board
I thought I'd read that these are no longer being made. While I'm not trying to gouge people, I am wanting to sell for close to what I paid. Someone can make me an offer.
Oregon Trail Event in June
Board: Region: Pacific Northwest
Dec 28, 2018 11:16am
Thread Board
This June the Mystery Machine (Maiden, Marmalade, Miniles, Midnight Flamingo, Arbor Amour, and Thunderbird) is holding a day long gathering themed around the Oregon Trail. We are very excited about it and look forward to seeing everyone and sharing the fun. Due to the format, there are a limited number of spots available. If you'd like to attend and all of the spots are full, please sign up anyways. There are a couple of possibilities we are considering and knowing how many people we're looking at will help us make informed decisions.

It's going to be a blast with lots of stamps, lots of laughs, and some beautiful scenery.

If you have any questions, please let me know!
Maiden
Re: Oregon Trail Event in June
Reply to: #969718 by Maiden
Dec 28, 2018 11:23am
Thread Board
I am so excited and am already studying for it!!!

You have died of dysentery

Jeff - a little bit broken ;)
Dec 28, 2018 11:45am
Thread Board
If you'd like to attend and all of the spots are full, please sign up anyways.

I want to sign up, on the chance that I can make it, but I don't want to take up a "reserved" spot. So, I'll wait until it is full, THEN sign up, ok? But OH BOY THIS SOUNDS AWESOME!!!!!
Reply to: #969719 by FORAYCH
Dec 28, 2018 11:56am
Thread Board
I am so excited and am already studying for it!!!

Here is some more study material.
Dec 28, 2018 12:42pm
Thread Board
I'm so excited for the event! Kudichan and I are excited for our road trip. Is it June yet?
Reply to: #969717 by roses1007
Dec 28, 2018 2:34pm
Thread Board
Lock & Lock are not being made any longer but I find some replacements are just as good. $40 is way too much to ask.
Dec 28, 2018 2:55pm
Thread Board
I just signed Honeymama and I up from MA, but we’re currently the definition of ‘maybe.’ It will depend upon the number of snow days I accumulate from work, which I won’t really know until March.
Reply to: #969723 by Sagacorn
Dec 28, 2018 4:40pm
Thread Board
We get LnL type containers at Target or online that are every bit as good but at a fraction of the cost. QVC (for example) sells 20 boxes for about 30 bucks.
Re: Finding new letterboxers/looking for a bargain
Reply to: #969604 by Trailtracker
Dec 28, 2018 5:22pm
Thread Board
Very well stated Trailtracker… you get a lot more out of letter boxing experiences than just the stamps…yes and there is something for everyone!
WW52
Reply to: #969704 by InkTap
Dec 28, 2018 5:55pm
Thread Board
Hi InkTap,

I am a practicing herbalist and horticulturalist. I practice science based herbal medicine and not paganism, witch craft, etc.

I am designing my website to be a beginners guide to herbal medicine. I haven't written anything in a while but I still have a lot of information available.

Feel free to check out my website and ask me any questions you might have!

www.notyourtypicalhippie.com

=(^._.^)=
Reply to: #969727 by CathBorthiant
Dec 28, 2018 7:25pm
Thread Board
Ah..exactly what I'm looking for!
Thank you so much..
Reply to: #969708 by Linden Leaf
Dec 28, 2018 7:27pm
Thread Board
Great idea. We have a nice health food store downtown that I completely forgot about. I'll check with them and the library.
Reply to: #969694 by InkTap
Dec 28, 2018 7:35pm
Thread Board
Thank you everyone. This subject is really exciting to me and I'm thinking as a society we will see natural medicines become more commonplace.
Reply to: #969723 by Sagacorn
Dec 28, 2018 9:26pm
Thread Board
Lock & Lock are not being made any longer but I find some replacements are just as good.

We've discovered through bitter experience that some of the cheaper LnL knockoffs are not as good because the colored rubber seal in the groove is made of something that dries out and crumbles in a couple of years in the wild. It's probable that the seal in a genuine LnL is made of silicone while the ones in the cheaper products are some version of soft plastic. I have no doubt that some of the better latch-top containers use good quality materials in the seal, but I dunno how we'd know without subjecting them to a couple of years of outdoor conditions.
Reply to: #969731 by Kirbert
Dec 28, 2018 10:56pm
Thread Board
I’ve got some that have been in the field for a quite a while. I just got a report on a box I hid on July 10, 2009, they said it was in great shape.
Re: string
Board: CCCP Home
Reply to: #969702 by Sheba
Dec 28, 2018 11:10pm
Thread Board
Sorry to bump this thread without adding anything but...

I have no idea what is being discussed here. Anyone care to put me out of my misery?

🤪