A Letterboxing Community

Search

Read Messages

Re: Public vs Private messages on finds
Board: Letterboxing Help Desk
Reply to: #969419 by shutterbug2012
Dec 15, 2018 10:21am
Thread Board
I frequently get private messages that are not relevant to the box status, but just chit chat from the finder. I think having all those messages automatically saved to the listing would 'junk up' the listing, rather than be useful. Maybe there could be an "option" to save a private message that is meaningful for a specific box, instead of automatically saving them all? But it's not that difficult to copy and save to 'notes', as already exists.
Are you Reindeer Ready?
Board: Yakking It Up
Dec 15, 2018 11:10am
Thread Board
Not a big fan of McDonald's but I freaking love this!

https://dailycommercials.com/mcdonalds-2018-christmas-advert/

Merry Christmas!

csk
Re: Are you Reindeer Ready?
Reply to: #969425 by Captain Slick Kitty
Dec 15, 2018 11:31am
Thread Board
Ditto.

So, does McDonald's actually have this, or was it done just for the advert? Has anyone gone to verify?
Re: Public vs Private messages on finds
Board: Letterboxing Help Desk
Reply to: #969424 by Wise Wanderer
Dec 15, 2018 11:54am
Thread Board
Yeah, we save any that we deem save-worthy to notes. I don’t find to be all that troublesome.
Dec 15, 2018 12:13pm
Thread Board
They look like the regular carrot sides you can get for happy meals - but repackaged and relabelled.
Reply to: #969426 by Oberon_Kenobi
Dec 15, 2018 12:39pm
Thread Board
I just poked around and McDonalds is giving away the carrot bags for free. But I think this is only in Britian, as it a British commerical.

Csk
Re: Carnival Ecstasy
Board: Letterbox Chatter
Reply to: #969404 by Belmont Bunch
Dec 15, 2018 12:53pm
Thread Board
Not where you are headed but I just planted two boxes in Cozumel last month in case anyone is heading that way. They are about a one mile walk from the area where Carnival and Royal Caribbean dock.
Dec 15, 2018 8:03pm
Thread Board
Awww! Love it.
Excellent video showing print making process
Board: Stamp Carving and Mounting
Dec 15, 2018 9:00pm
Thread Board
This is a bit more involved than the processes I use but I think the attention to detail is something I could definitely learn from.

https://thekidshouldseethis.com/post/linocut-carving-and-printing-by-maarit-hanninen
Re: Hitchhikers
Reply to: #969401 by All 4 Bama
Dec 15, 2018 11:51pm
Thread Board
I have never been a huge fan of HH and like others have said, usually stamp them only and leave them unless it is at a very seldom found box. But I at least have a better system since I moved to Alaska. Everyone leaves them up here since for them it is a far trip for them and the HH, so I just ignore them so the other tourists can take them away!
Re: Letterboxing Conversations
Board: State: Michigan
Reply to: #969181 by Angel Winks
Dec 16, 2018 5:13am
Thread Board
Heading down a different avenue in this conversation...

Does anyone else participate in the Great Lakes Bingo game? Atomicbeans from Illinois is hosting it and the information just came out. I've participated for several years and I even won twice in one year! But the fun is playing this long, drawn-out Bingo game throughout the long, drawn-out winter months.

If you haven't played before and want to, the information is on Yahoo Letterbox Great Lakes.

So, who's playing?
Reply to: #969411 by detective
Dec 16, 2018 6:14am
Thread Board
I found a HH once that was in a race with another HH to get from the east coast to California. I was so excited since I was on my way to California later that year. Then I started looking through the log book, and it had been to California already and was now sightseeing wherever.

But that was a great idea. Put a quest on the HH and see if people respond better. Maybe include a prize to the finders of the winners.
Hmm...
Reply to: #969434 by Eidolon
Dec 16, 2018 6:56am
Thread Board
I have never been a huge fan of HH

I did some when I first started boxing but then pretty much lost interest.

The first box I ever found though was a HH, in Texas. The box was missing but the HH was there. According to logging info it seems to have fallen into a black hole three years later in Oregon and has since been retired.

HHs just don't do it for me. Maybe if they traveled more? But too often they stay in a box or someone's backpack or car for too long. They fall into black holes and disappear.
Reply to: #969435 by Angel Winks
Dec 16, 2018 7:08am
Thread Board
Does anyone else participate in the Great Lakes Bingo game?

Every year when it comes out, I get excited, I look at the rules and decide that it is just too complicated to try to figure it out. I looked again yesterday and decided the same thing again this year.
Reply to: #969438 by Janila
Dec 16, 2018 7:30am
Thread Board
I look at the rules and decide that it is just too complicated to try to figure it out.

Oh, that's too bad. Would it help if we explain what you find complicated? I've been playing for several years and think it's a lot of fun. Adam did a superlative job last year organizing and running the game. Most of his daily word calls involved poetry. :)
BINGO 2019
Board: Region: Great Lakes
Dec 16, 2018 8:22am
Thread Board
I posted BINGO 2019 word lists, rules, and grids on the Yahoo group site. Please join us for this winter tradition! Cards are due to me by 12/31/18. New to Great Lakes Letterboxing BINGO? Fill out a card, check the daily word, and then cross of your winners. Terms are based on letterboxers you've found and people you've met. Don't worry.. there is also a list of general terms for everyone's use.

CHECK THE RULES, I'VE MADE A FEW TWEAKS THIS YEAR!😉

A of Atomic Beans
Re: It's the most wonderful time of the year!
Reply to: #969421 by 4EyesMcGee
Dec 16, 2018 8:25am
Thread Board
I guess I should read the board before posting...🤷

I hope you are able to cross off a few terms!

A of AB
Reply to: #969421 by 4EyesMcGee
Dec 16, 2018 8:31am
Thread Board
I hope I have found some of the boxes!!

I'm curious if you have. If not, it's not too late to get out there and make a find!

I've found 3 on this year's list, which is two more than last year. All 3 are in the greater SE Michigan area.
Re: Excellent video showing print making process
Reply to: #969433 by lonnewsom
Dec 16, 2018 8:52am
Thread Board
This is just my thoughts on the first video, and then the second one that was a two-color print. Take this from someone who is not as good at carving as her, but I know enough to appreciate her skill.

What immediately struck me was that the work of an artist from the Netherlands had a soundtrack in Spanish. It is a lovely language, but I was wondering why they didn't use a local artist singing in Dutch.

And at the end, she titles her work "Tomorrow, Tomorrow", in English. What a cosmopolitan world we've become.

Then I was wondering why she used so much water. She soaked the paper in water, mostly dried it then did a print. After printing she sprayed and pressed the paper to dry it out again. Then she signed them in pencil, rather than ink. Curious.

I also noticed the way she did the pencil transfer. Why make your own carbon paper rather than buy some? Is carbon paper so far from common memory that people don't know about it, or is it just not available there?

I then watched the video on the two-color printing. It was neat how she did the transfer for the second color. I'd like to (someday) try a multi-color print. I've done one, but it was a large stamp (about 3" by 2") with a small portion (about 1" by ¾") that was a second color, so I don't really count that.

She also carved out large areas with a gouge. Instead of carving out strips, she carved out combs then finished by carving out the connected area. I've done that sometimes, but with only a few (3-5) teeth.

Very interesting and relaxing carving videos. They were lovely prints too.
Reply to: #969435 by Angel Winks
Dec 16, 2018 10:06am
Thread Board
I’ve played the last 3 years (since I started letterboxing), and it gives me something to look forward to each morning during this long, winter season. Win, or not, it’s really great fun! Huge thanks to all the folks who host this game!
Wanted poster
Board: State: Virginia
Dec 16, 2018 10:23am
Board
Hello,

Wanted poster :

After a trip to Virginia, a letterbox and an enigma fell out of my pocket.( Box #300871 )

I invite anyone interested to contact me so that within the limits of my means I can help him find the box

Sincerely

Pocahontas 48
Reply to: #969442 by Dawnkey
Dec 16, 2018 10:53am
Thread Board
I've found 13 and see a whole bunch on there which I would LOVE to find (but won't be...). There are so many great letterboxes out there.

Last year, it seemed as if the general terms were being called more than in the past, so you never really know what's going to happen. I think the way it's set up works to everyone's advantage.

Now to fill in my Bingo sheet and get it mailed off...I really should do it before Christmas...
Reply to: #969443 by Oberon_Kenobi
Dec 16, 2018 11:46am
Thread Board
I agree it's a very soothing video to watch. Thanks to lonnewsom for linking to it!

But I was also confused by some of her methodologies.
I also noticed the way she did the pencil transfer. Why make your own carbon paper rather than buy some? Is carbon paper so far from common memory that people don't know about it, or is it just not available there?

Dick Blick sells it (along with many other places) and ships internationally. But I'm not sure why it's needed in the first place. I carved a bit of linoleum for a more durable sig stamp and acetone transferred it just fine. I'm guessing that would also eliminated the need for painting the surface red (and why not white?).

Then I was wondering why she used so much water. She soaked the paper in water, mostly dried it then did a print.

I'm pretty sure that's left over from an Intaglio (printmaking) process she used to use. In that process, the ink is down in grooves (as opposed to being on a raised surface). The paper must be malleable enough to be forced down into the groves, hence the soaking. Here's an engraving I did years ago, you can see around the edges of the print itself how the press indented the paper.

It also shows signing the print in pencil which is the traditional way is to sign and number art prints. Also, a pencil mark cannot be easily reproduced by computers, making it less vulnerable to fraud.

DZ
Reply to: #969446 by Angel Winks
Dec 16, 2018 11:52am
Thread Board
I use a random generator to set the word order..so it's just the luck of the draw for general terms vs specific ones... even if it seems to vary from year to year.
Reply to: #969414 by Dawnkey
Dec 16, 2018 12:31pm
Thread Board
How does one join the fun??
Reply to: #969443 by Oberon_Kenobi
Dec 16, 2018 2:20pm
Thread Board
I tried using graphite paper on linoleum recently and it did not transfer at all. Is that why she sanded the lino first? Is that common practice?
Reply to: #969448 by Atomic Beans
Dec 16, 2018 2:27pm
Thread Board
Oh, I figured that. I just wanted to make sure people who didn't necessarily have a lot of box finds or exchanges or events knew that the general terms are totally worth adding to the card.

Thanks, Adam, for all your work on this. It's such a gift to letterboxers.
Reply to: #969449 by Mama Stork
Dec 16, 2018 2:31pm
Thread Board
So I copied this from our Great Lakes Letterboxing sight, posted by atomic beans:

"I posted BINGO 2019 word lists, rules, and grids on the Yahoo group site. Please join us for this winter tradition! Cards are due to me by 12/31/18. New to Great Lakes Letterboxing BINGO? Fill out a card, check the daily word, and then cross of your winners. Terms are based on letterboxers you've found and people you've met. Don't worry.. there is also a list of general terms for everyone's use. CHECK THE RULES, I'VE MADE A FEW TWEAKS THIS YEAR!😉"

The Yahoo group site is Letterbox Great Lakes.
Extra Set Giveaway
Board: LTC: Trades and Trackers
Dec 16, 2018 3:04pm
Thread Board
Hi! Back in 2014 there was a Sea Monsters LTC swap that I hosted. A member had me keep a set for them, but they never completed their part of the swap and now are no longer active.

Since the cards have just been sitting around, first person to send me an AQ mail can have them. There are 10 cards in total. Also, if the person who gets them also wants to trade for some of my active cards, I can mail them with the set.
Re: Extra Set Giveaway
Board: LTC: Trades and Trackers
Reply to: #969453 by Agent N
Dec 16, 2018 3:11pm
Thread Board
The set has been claimed. Have a happy holidays everyone!