A Letterboxing Community

Search

Read Messages

Re: Ethical question
Board: State: West Virginia
Reply to: #969122 by IrishRef
Dec 11, 2018 6:25am
Thread Board
Just to be clear, I have no intention of outing the boxes or pulling them. Live and let live. I was mostly curious about the feelings of people in the area about the subject.

I've tried several times to get the Super of the park to allow LB's and geocaches in the park but to no avail. Mostly due to their staff and not their personal feelings. One was quite receptive to the idea. They control a large portion of the county and practically all the trails so the temptation for me to plant in the park is real.

If you expressed an opinion here, thank you! The discussion has been lively and spirited for sure! If you planted in the park for any reason, it wasn't about you it was a general question. Don't worry, your boxes are safe from me.
Re: Letterbox-themed cocktail & cocktail-themed letterbox
Board: State: California
Reply to: #969251 by Mu
Dec 11, 2018 7:55am
Thread Board
That sounds so fun! Definitely on my list for my next visit to SF.
Dec 11, 2018 8:32am
Thread Board
That is so cool! We need to take a road trip. 😄

And it looks like you are the first official user of a spoiler box in a letterbox clue. Woohoo!
how did everyone do
Board: Sky's the Limit
Dec 11, 2018 8:44am
Thread Board
So what is the general thought about this year's challenge? did people find the parks challenging enough? Interesting enough? Spread out over the state enough?
What about the boxes? Hidden well? Representing the area well? Close enough to picture sites? Did enough people participate and get the boxes?
Will we do it again next year?
My thoughts are:
I could do without linear trails with ankle deep water for a quarter mile. Most of the stamps tied in to the area very well. Most stamps were easy to get a good image of in my book but some just didn't come out well. The parks on the far edges of the state were most difficult in terms of travel time and scheduling. If they are the longest or most difficult hikes AND the farthest to get to, it was a challenge. I found all the boxes close enough to the picture sites to make it very manageable. I loved it when planters mentioned other boxes on the route. Finally, I love a good challenge, so I can't wait for next year and I hope we have boxes to go with the challenge.
Thanks to all who planted!
Kathy
Re: Spoiler tags?
Board: Letterboxing Help Desk
Reply to: #969219 by Green Tortuga
Dec 11, 2018 8:55am
Thread Board
I should also point out.... The spoiler tag is something that's embedded into the wiki/html markups, so it actually works anywhere you can type in wiki/html markup. Including AQ mail and clues....

Looks like someone has already used your suggestion. ;-)

I was trying to explain to a friend how this works and I notice it’s not on the markup page yet. Just sayin’. 😄
Re: Mystery Postal 417 Solution and Clue Explanation
Board: Postals
Reply to: #969241 by IrishRef
Dec 11, 2018 9:08am
Thread Board
Oh, man, I should have had this one! I'm a BIG John Denver fan. But I went down the alien/UFO route and never corrected. .......Off to watch the original John Denver and the Muppets Christmas special now.......
Re: how did everyone do
Reply to: #969263 by DevilinDog
Dec 11, 2018 10:12am
Thread Board
Honestly, I didn't finish the challenge due to the heat and then the rain this year and, to be honest, found the sites that were chosen for the challenge to be very meh this time around. That obviously wasn't the fault of any of the planters, as I felt like everyone (that I saw, at least) did an excellent job based upon the circumstances.

I think I may attempt a different challenge this coming year. There are lots to choose from, and I just need to pick one!
Reply to: #969264 by DarkZen and Evil Cow Pie
Dec 11, 2018 10:31am
Thread Board
I notice it’s not on the markup page yet.

Actually.... it is on the markup comparisons page. I was a little lazy trying to work it into the Wiki and HTML markup pages, though, neither of which is as complete as the markup comparisons page. (You also won't find the wassa tag except on the comparisons page.)

I'll get around to fixing the other pages... eventually. =)

-- Ryan
Dec 11, 2018 12:05pm
Thread Board
Ooooo. Another reason to visit the west coast again!
Dec 11, 2018 12:14pm
Thread Board
I don't know how non-boxers are getting all these sites. It's such a big help to have a set of clues where the planter was able to decipher the DEEP's location and translate that into English for the rest of us. Even some of the DEEP maps were wrong.

I don't know if I'll do it again next year or not. Last year I said I wasn't and then I did. It's a lot easier to do all the parks if the boxes are planted earlier rather than later. That's been the biggest draw back for me. It's too hot in summer, and in fall I have other hiking plans up north. Too many other things going on June through November. But I can do February through May if the boxes are planted.
Reply to: #969267 by Green Tortuga
Dec 11, 2018 12:20pm
Thread Board
Actually.... it is on the markup comparisons page.

Hmm, I was unaware of that page. Good to know. Thanks!

DZ
Reply to: #969265 by Boxer Lover47
Dec 11, 2018 12:25pm
Thread Board
I was trying to follow a track that included Roswell, TX, a fictional town.
Reply to: #969267 by Green Tortuga
Dec 11, 2018 12:27pm
Thread Board
Actually.... it is on the markup comparisons page.

I was going to post that there is no way to get to that page, but I found it at the bottom (last sentence) of the Wiki Markup Help and HTML Help pages. I'm posting that information here so that others will know as well.
Reply to: #969271 by Grrly Girl
Dec 11, 2018 12:33pm
Thread Board
I was trying to follow a track that included Roswell, TX, a fictional town.

After IrishRef posted:
And as Grand Flyers would tell you there is more than one Roswell in the USA.

I went off in that direction too. I also found out about Roswell, Georgia, a place with quite a few letterboxes.
Re: Ethical question
Board: State: West Virginia
Reply to: #969091 by wvelliotts
Dec 11, 2018 12:37pm
Thread Board
Interesting Thread...

I plant when I want, Where I want, and when I want to.

Carry on,
Mtn Girl
Quack like a Goose
Board: Mysterious Capers and Sneaky Stuff
Dec 11, 2018 1:04pm
Thread Board
I see redden, I see wooden. Sometimes, but not here, I see golden and olden. But, for some reason, I never see greenen or yellowen. Why is that? Seems like a morphological debate for the linguists to work out, so of course I'll leave that to them.

Sort of like mouse -> mice; louse -> lice, house -> hice? What? Good thing I'm not a linguist, I suppose. Penny -> pence; die -> dice? I dunno, seems better than hice, doesn't it? I can't answer these philosophical questions, but I do know that the multiple hices I own (can I do that morphology) need their floors vacuumed. Well, that's not exactly true; the one hice I do own does need its floors vacuumed, and how often can uu uuse a word with a uu twice in a paragraph? UUUUse QQ simarily and I'll set UUUUUU up with cluues which u would not believe.

Anyway, onto the beef, or more accuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuurately, the pork; we gut these beasts to cheese off the vegans. Can I say "cheese off" and reference pork to vegans? I dunno, not much is politically correct anymore; I think I should just lock myself in a one foot cube cell for the rest of my life so people stop getting in my face 24x7; but if I do, they will still get in my face 24x7 telling me my cell is too big, so I won't.

Ok, no more porking the vegans; they all know who wrote Shakespeare anyway. Besides, they know how to eat their veggies as well, especially those in the nightshade family.

How hard could that be? Of course, don't eat deadly nightshade, it will kill you. But some of the rest of it groups quite well, or so I'm told. Dried chili peppers are a key ingredient in my creole. Of course, no one cares about my recipes, but my creole is awesome. Even better is my sangria, of which I am in the process of making a batch. Even lazy caterers have to admit that this recipe is the best functional letterboxing clue of all time. Forget the letterboxing, and its necessary culture to stamp into 92 boxes in three seconds under a pavilion; make the sangria and enjoy it!

Pork, nightshade, hice, good music, sangria; it all seems all to complicated to me. I think I'll just stick to the latter and crawl off somewhere and celebrate Festivus (really, the spelling checker doesn't accept Festivus, are you kidding me?). The "airing of the grievances list" is getting longer by the nanosecond :-)

For the "restivus", even including the PC types, and I do actually respect a tiny bit of it where it makes sense, but even Sam Harris admits its impossible for most phenotypes to live on a protein free diet (life feeds on life, unfortunately, just as the owner of this website is feeding on my brilliant content :-))

I wish I could say more, but I don't want to. You don't want me to either. You know who I am. You know its all in good fun.

So, MERRY CHRISTMAS. I hope the clues in this post feed you well. I ain't gonna say "HAPPY HOLIDAYS", cuz that's just too PC for me. Can I say "MERRY FESTIVUS"? "HAPPY FESTIVUS"? I dunno. I do if I can, but I can't if I don't. Or something like that. I think I made the sangria too strong this time.

In all seriousness, good luck to all of you in your future endeavors.
Reply to: #969262 by DarkZen and Evil Cow Pie
Dec 11, 2018 1:35pm
Thread Board
Figured I'd try out the new, shiny feature! I doubt letterboxers would need that spoiler - it's more of an extra precaution if new boxers get funneled to the clue through the venue and lack certain common knowledge ;)
Boxes along a route
Board: Letterbox Chatter
Dec 11, 2018 1:44pm
Thread Board
Forgot how to search along a route. Example highway 1
Re: Boxes along a route
Reply to: #969277 by brailleboxer
Dec 11, 2018 1:47pm
Thread Board
Advanced search, location = "Along US Route 1", change Dist (mi) to something like 1 or 2 miles.
Reply to: #969278 by PI Joe
Dec 11, 2018 1:50pm
Thread Board
I didn't know you could do that for a location. Thought you had to use trip planner. Learned something new.
Reply to: #969280 by Topcollector
Dec 11, 2018 1:53pm
Thread Board
Thanks
Dec 11, 2018 1:55pm
Thread Board
We completed the challenge, but we did not do all of the boxes as we go when its convenient not based on when/if the boxes are placed.

I agree that I found the locations boring. I REALLY liked last year's photo challenge. I know some people complained about short hikes that year, but the short hikes allowed us to do more, see more, and we found the old photos and the attached history very interesting and informative.

I hope they have 'theme' again next year to link the sites.....the sites didn't feel tied together this year.

OMG - no comment on the maps......I don't even want to get started.

Thanks to all of the planters and to everyone who makes sure the DEEP info is disseminated to us all as soon as it is available.
Reply to: #969278 by PI Joe
Dec 11, 2018 1:57pm
Thread Board
Didn’t work it gave me new Zelma’s - I thought there was a premium feature where it gave you popular routes
Reply to: #969283 by brailleboxer
Dec 11, 2018 2:16pm
Thread Board
I found it. Do simple search--Trip search, at the bottom of the columns you can select routes.
Reply to: #969284 by Topcollector
Dec 11, 2018 2:17pm
Thread Board
Thank youuuuuu
Reply to: #969285 by brailleboxer
Dec 11, 2018 2:18pm
Thread Board
You might have to create a trip. I don't see Route 1 on there.
Reply to: #969286 by Topcollector
Dec 11, 2018 4:21pm
Thread Board
I don't see Route 1 on there.

There is a route called "US Route 1". *nodding*

-- Ryan
Dec 11, 2018 5:20pm
Thread Board
I only completed 11 sites...yeah, the maps...I need to take a year to complete 2016,17 and 18. I will do next year & be happy to run a tracker again if anyone wants to plant again!
Re: Letterboxing Conversations
Board: State: Michigan
Reply to: #969181 by Angel Winks
Dec 11, 2018 5:23pm
Thread Board
Fun! I'm sure there's a lot of things! I like the notes feature, particularly for personal travelers, but it's helpful for other things like mystery boxes. Once I solve the PT clue, I add a note. When I print the list of PTs prior to the event, the note will print as well. I'm not sure if that is a premium perk or not.

One of my other favorite things is the trip planner. This is a premium perk, too. If I'm planning a road trip, I add a trip with my starting and ending destinations. Then I do a search using that trip, customizing distances off the main road (1-5 miles), type of boxes (driveby, stroll, etc). This makes it easy to grab some finds along the way.

I haven't used the custom locations much that Angel Winks mentioned, but this would come in handy with the trip planner to make sure things are really within your desired range.
Re: Letterboxing Conversations
Board: State: Michigan
Reply to: #969289 by BaliWho
Dec 11, 2018 5:32pm
Thread Board
Another thing I used a lot is the countdown widget. (not sure if that is a premium widget or not!) I add it to the very top of my page so I can easily see what I have coming up that needs to be done.

This is really helpful to keep track of things that are due by specific dates like postals, LTC swaps, stamps that need to be carved for events or whatever else.