A Letterboxing Community

Search

Read Messages

Re: Trouble logging an unlisted attempt
Board: Letterboxing Help Desk
Reply to: #969238 by Green Tortuga
Dec 9, 2018 10:16pm
Thread Board
Okay.... I take back some of what I said in my last post. I was digging into the code more and this is what happens.... =)

When you click the "Create New Entry" to add new unlisted box, it'll automatically capitalize everything on the next page where you fill in and/or confirm the existing details.

At that point, you can change the capitalization to exactly how you want it and it'll stick. (But again, only if someone else hasn't already recorded the find on the unlisted box--otherwise, it uses what the first person recorded.)

So you can change how the capitalization is saved.... but only on that final confirmation page will it stick--and only if you were the first person to record the find.

-- Ryan
Re: Ethical question
Board: State: West Virginia
Reply to: #969214 by Super Hedge Hoggie
Dec 10, 2018 3:44am
Thread Board
What was the Disney decree? (Just curious)

I'm guessing this is the Disney Decree
Mystery Postal 417 Solution and Clue Explanation
Board: Postals
Reply to: #968989 by IrishRef
Dec 10, 2018 6:44am
Thread Board
The correct answer to mystery #417 is John Denver:

Clue 1 Roswell - He was born in Roswell, NM.
Clue 2 Red Raider - He studied architecture at Texas Tech. Their mascot is red raider. (a few went down the Santa Claus route with this one and Red Raider.)
Clue 3 NASA - This one led everyone back to the alien theme. NASA awarded him the Public Service Medal for his work on the Citizen in Space Program.
Clue 4 September 6, 1980. This was obscure but pivotal. John landed (helicopter) in Mountaineer Stadium to sing Country Roads. This was the first game in the new stadium, new coach, new uniforms, new WVU logo, and my first live game in Morgantown. I was in the top of the stadium on the 50 yard line in the student section. My wife was a freshman that year. John asked the crowd to sing with him. Ultimately starting the post-game stadium tradition of arms around your neighbors swaying and singing loudly for all to here.
Clue 5: : Golden Circle - This was for the movie Kingsmen: The Golden Circle. Two of John Denver's songs are featured including a rendition of Country Roads.
Clue 6: Alien Covenant. Did anyone pickup on the THREE John Denver song titles in my encouraging jibber jabber? Definitely a bonus clue hidden in plain sight (I'm Sorry, It Amazes Me and Follow Me) Hitting that alien theme really hard again. There are multiple sites for movie trailers with Country Roads as background music. One showing this song's beat heard in a static message from a distant planet. Leading the crew to their doom.
Clue 7: Lucky Logan was the final movie reference for Country Roads. The ending of this movie has a little girl starting a crowd rendition.

Those who answered quickly had either a history of solving my clues, recent info on John and/or know my connections to WVU and singing Country Roads.

Watch for the next one after Christmas. If you want more John to get you in the mood there is always John Denver and the Muppets: A Christmas Together, John Denver and The Muppets on Rocky Mountain Holiday Parts 1-5. A Christmas Together was the alternate choice considered for Clue 7.
Re: Letterboxing Conversations
Board: State: Michigan
Reply to: #969206 by Janila
Dec 10, 2018 7:59am
Thread Board
We do the same, I have alerts set up for Michigan to send an email.
The other locations I track, Rhode Island, Maryland, Grand Haven, MI I have set up as a widget on my menu!
Godzilla Attacks the Texas Hill Country
Board: State: Texas
Dec 10, 2018 12:57pm
Thread Board
Godzilla is loose in the Texas Hill Country, and his "Friends and Foes" have all shown up also. Join his epic battles and find these boxes. Each require you to find the box before to unlock the clues to the next box. There are 7 total boxes. Start with "Godzilla - Friends and Foes - King Kong" - Box #300126 in AQ, and #73454 in LBNA.
Re: 🎵Letterboxing with a side of klezmer 🎵
Board: State: California
Reply to: #968932 by Mu
Dec 10, 2018 1:45pm
Thread Board
Thanks to all who came out a couple weeks ago! And for those who missed it... Baymele will be playing again in Berkeley this Friday night and this box will be available for a second (and possibly final) time - 9pm at the Starry Plough this Friday, Dec 14!

~µ[sic]
Re: Godzilla Attacks the Texas Hill Country
Reply to: #969243 by Baby Bear
Dec 10, 2018 3:21pm
Thread Board
Sounds fun, wish I lived closer. Beautiful park. I used to go there occasionally when I lived in Texas.
Dec 10, 2018 3:31pm
Thread Board
Thanks for planting these, Baby Bear! I can't wait to have a chance to find them!
Re: Trouble logging an unlisted attempt
Reply to: #969239 by Green Tortuga
Dec 10, 2018 5:02pm
Thread Board
Thanks Ryan for taking the time to check into this and to explain how it all works! :-)
Dec 10, 2018 6:23pm
Thread Board
Ooo - need to find a weekend I can head out to find these. Sounds FUN. Thanks, Baby Bear!
Letterbox-themed cocktail & cocktail-themed letterbox
Dec 10, 2018 10:12pm
Thread Board
If you're in the Bay Area, stop by Whitechapel for a letterbox-themed cocktail accompanied by a highly thematic newly planted letterbox.

~µ[sic]
Re: Letterbox-themed cocktail & cocktail-themed letterbox
Reply to: #969251 by Mu
Dec 10, 2018 10:18pm
Thread Board
Looks interesting ... How cool that they have a letterbox-themed cocktail.
Dec 10, 2018 11:46pm
Thread Board
If you're in the Bay Area, stop by Whitechapel for a letterbox-themed cocktail accompanied by a highly thematic newly planted letterbox.

I think it's hilarious that the drink listed directly after the letterbox-themed one is called "THE GREEN TORTOISE TRIP"...
Reply to: #969253 by wassamatta u
Dec 10, 2018 11:53pm
Thread Board
I think it's hilarious that the drink listed directly after the letterbox-themed one is called "THE GREEN TORTOISE TRIP"...

Hmm, bonus box? ;)
3 Spots Open!
Board: LTC: Trades and Trackers
Dec 11, 2018 5:41am
Board
I just wanted to let people know that there is 3 spots open in the Birthday LTCards tracker if anyone is interested!

https://www.atlasquest.com/showinfo.php?trackerId=10045
Re: Letterboxing Conversations
Board: State: Michigan
Reply to: #969181 by Angel Winks
Dec 11, 2018 6:19am
Thread Board
We use the custom address feature regularly. We then change the address at the top of the page, that way when we do a search of the area again, the boxes show up.
Re: Ethical question
Board: State: West Virginia
Reply to: #969122 by IrishRef
Dec 11, 2018 6:25am
Thread Board
Just to be clear, I have no intention of outing the boxes or pulling them. Live and let live. I was mostly curious about the feelings of people in the area about the subject.

I've tried several times to get the Super of the park to allow LB's and geocaches in the park but to no avail. Mostly due to their staff and not their personal feelings. One was quite receptive to the idea. They control a large portion of the county and practically all the trails so the temptation for me to plant in the park is real.

If you expressed an opinion here, thank you! The discussion has been lively and spirited for sure! If you planted in the park for any reason, it wasn't about you it was a general question. Don't worry, your boxes are safe from me.
Dec 11, 2018 7:55am
Thread Board
That sounds so fun! Definitely on my list for my next visit to SF.
Dec 11, 2018 8:32am
Thread Board
That is so cool! We need to take a road trip. 😄

And it looks like you are the first official user of a spoiler box in a letterbox clue. Woohoo!
how did everyone do
Board: Sky's the Limit
Dec 11, 2018 8:44am
Thread Board
So what is the general thought about this year's challenge? did people find the parks challenging enough? Interesting enough? Spread out over the state enough?
What about the boxes? Hidden well? Representing the area well? Close enough to picture sites? Did enough people participate and get the boxes?
Will we do it again next year?
My thoughts are:
I could do without linear trails with ankle deep water for a quarter mile. Most of the stamps tied in to the area very well. Most stamps were easy to get a good image of in my book but some just didn't come out well. The parks on the far edges of the state were most difficult in terms of travel time and scheduling. If they are the longest or most difficult hikes AND the farthest to get to, it was a challenge. I found all the boxes close enough to the picture sites to make it very manageable. I loved it when planters mentioned other boxes on the route. Finally, I love a good challenge, so I can't wait for next year and I hope we have boxes to go with the challenge.
Thanks to all who planted!
Kathy
Re: Spoiler tags?
Reply to: #969219 by Green Tortuga
Dec 11, 2018 8:55am
Thread Board
I should also point out.... The spoiler tag is something that's embedded into the wiki/html markups, so it actually works anywhere you can type in wiki/html markup. Including AQ mail and clues....

Looks like someone has already used your suggestion. ;-)

I was trying to explain to a friend how this works and I notice it’s not on the markup page yet. Just sayin’. 😄
Re: Mystery Postal 417 Solution and Clue Explanation
Reply to: #969241 by IrishRef
Dec 11, 2018 9:08am
Thread Board
Oh, man, I should have had this one! I'm a BIG John Denver fan. But I went down the alien/UFO route and never corrected. .......Off to watch the original John Denver and the Muppets Christmas special now.......
Re: how did everyone do
Reply to: #969263 by DevilinDog
Dec 11, 2018 10:12am
Thread Board
Honestly, I didn't finish the challenge due to the heat and then the rain this year and, to be honest, found the sites that were chosen for the challenge to be very meh this time around. That obviously wasn't the fault of any of the planters, as I felt like everyone (that I saw, at least) did an excellent job based upon the circumstances.

I think I may attempt a different challenge this coming year. There are lots to choose from, and I just need to pick one!
Reply to: #969264 by DarkZen and Evil Cow Pie
Dec 11, 2018 10:31am
Thread Board
I notice it’s not on the markup page yet.

Actually.... it is on the markup comparisons page. I was a little lazy trying to work it into the Wiki and HTML markup pages, though, neither of which is as complete as the markup comparisons page. (You also won't find the wassa tag except on the comparisons page.)

I'll get around to fixing the other pages... eventually. =)

-- Ryan
Dec 11, 2018 12:05pm
Thread Board
Ooooo. Another reason to visit the west coast again!
Re: how did everyone do
Reply to: #969263 by DevilinDog
Dec 11, 2018 12:14pm
Thread Board
I don't know how non-boxers are getting all these sites. It's such a big help to have a set of clues where the planter was able to decipher the DEEP's location and translate that into English for the rest of us. Even some of the DEEP maps were wrong.

I don't know if I'll do it again next year or not. Last year I said I wasn't and then I did. It's a lot easier to do all the parks if the boxes are planted earlier rather than later. That's been the biggest draw back for me. It's too hot in summer, and in fall I have other hiking plans up north. Too many other things going on June through November. But I can do February through May if the boxes are planted.
Reply to: #969267 by Green Tortuga
Dec 11, 2018 12:20pm
Thread Board
Actually.... it is on the markup comparisons page.

Hmm, I was unaware of that page. Good to know. Thanks!

DZ
Reply to: #969265 by Boxer Lover47
Dec 11, 2018 12:25pm
Thread Board
I was trying to follow a track that included Roswell, TX, a fictional town.
Reply to: #969267 by Green Tortuga
Dec 11, 2018 12:27pm
Thread Board
Actually.... it is on the markup comparisons page.

I was going to post that there is no way to get to that page, but I found it at the bottom (last sentence) of the Wiki Markup Help and HTML Help pages. I'm posting that information here so that others will know as well.
Reply to: #969271 by Grrly Girl
Dec 11, 2018 12:33pm
Thread Board
I was trying to follow a track that included Roswell, TX, a fictional town.

After IrishRef posted:
And as Grand Flyers would tell you there is more than one Roswell in the USA.

I went off in that direction too. I also found out about Roswell, Georgia, a place with quite a few letterboxes.