A Letterboxing Community

Search

Read Messages

Re: Android Users Looking for Box Radar Replacement
Board: Letterbox Chatter
Reply to: #969027 by Phoenix Rizing
Dec 3, 2018 6:36pm
Thread Board
I'm in. I would be happy to test. I used Box Radar all the time. ONe of my favorite features was that it showed boxes from both websites on one combined map/list view.
Have You Ever ...
Dec 3, 2018 6:59pm
Thread Board
Have you ever folded your signatures, set them aside for tomorrow then couldn't find them?

Fortunately, I just started looking around for something else and found them. I'll be putting together my logbook tonight.
Re: Happy Yule y’all Event
Board: State: Georgia
Reply to: #968978 by DeeCee
Dec 3, 2018 7:01pm
Thread Board
Impeccable planning and flawless execution. Thanks, Super Hedge Hoggie!! Even when Mother Nature decided to muck up the one aspect of the event beyond your control, you carried on with a smile and encouragement and plan B. Incredible event!!
Re: New Mystery Postal is now open for your enjoyment
Board: Postals
Reply to: #968989 by IrishRef
Dec 3, 2018 7:29pm
Thread Board
Glad to see you back! Was beginning to wonder....
Re: Alderman Library inventory
Board: State: Virginia
Reply to: #969039 by Dawnkey
Dec 3, 2018 7:43pm
Thread Board
Omg I hope they put that back, that is SO amazing and beautiful. I will have to make a trip up there to find that!
Re: Happy Yule y’all Event
Board: State: Georgia
Reply to: #969028 by Bungalow Boxer
Dec 3, 2018 8:53pm
Thread Board
Y'all will be happy to know that we're putting our heads together for a November 2019 event at Mistletoe. The working title is Fall Get Away. Stamps will show the various ways to GET from place to place by air or land or sea. Information will come out in early 2019 so you can make your plans. In the meantime, put on your thinking caps and get those creative juices flowing. There are plenty of stamps just waiting to be carved!
Re: Have You Ever ...
Reply to: #969045 by Oberon_Kenobi
Dec 3, 2018 10:54pm
Thread Board
I stitched together the signatures, glued the cardboard inside the cover paper, and glued the signatures inside of the cover. It is now drying under a book with a board on top and then weighed down. It should be ready in the morning for planting.

This is a replant. I'm waiting until the early afternoon so that it will be warm when I go traipsing through the snow to plant this letterbox. When I get back I'll have to remember to post how deep the snow was. The box will go about 400 feet from the parking lot along a trail. The forecast shows that it will be below freezing, but there is no snow in the forecast.
Re: Changing the type of box
Board: Stupider Questions About Letterboxing
Reply to: #969040 by Green Tortuga
Dec 4, 2018 12:16am
Thread Board
I've even gone so far as to not record finds on incorrectly-listed event boxes because I don't want them screwing up my F-counts.

I do that too. I have a spreadsheet with "real totals" (which is sorely out of date, I am working on catching that up) which ignore things which didn't involve me needing to figure out a clue of some sort.
Reply to: #969045 by Oberon_Kenobi
Dec 4, 2018 3:09am
Thread Board
folded your signatures

Maybe I got up too early and my brain isn’t warmed up yet as I haven’t had any coffee, but I don’t know what you’re talking about 😂 Please elaborate as I’ve never done this before.
Reply to: #969044 by The Vs
Dec 4, 2018 3:51am
Thread Board
I'm sooo interested in helping. I'm from Ma. - east coast - if you are looking for different areas of the country.
Re: Quiet Place Exits Stage Left
Board: Event News and Planning
Reply to: #968793 by Quiet Place
Dec 4, 2018 4:03am
Thread Board
My thoughts and prayers are with you.
Blue Butterfly
YEAH - my even MORE favoritest theme!!!
Board: Yakking It Up
Dec 4, 2018 4:29am
Board
The only thing better than snowflake theme is snow flakes and snowdeer and snowmen!

Cheeks are hurting from grinning.
Dec 4, 2018 5:11am
Thread Board
I am so excited to hear this! Please keep us posted on the progress. It would be awesome to have an app that works on my non-Apple phone!!
Reply to: #969052 by 4EyesMcGee
Dec 4, 2018 5:50am
Thread Board
Signatures, as in the folded groups of pages in a homemade logbook.
Re: Tan-Z Pattern
Board: Stamp Carving and Mounting
Reply to: #968961 by Oberon_Kenobi
Dec 4, 2018 6:47am
Thread Board
What makes the texture is the extrusion process. It would have cost a *lot* more to have them totally retool the machine for my batch and as it was, I was able to piggy back onto the set-up for another material they made for a different customer and cut the set-up fee out of the cost of the run, too. The decision to leave it one-sided was mainly an economic one. And, since the original PZ had crimps on the back from the machines, too, I figured people could live with it for a lower cost material.

Also, I've been toying with an interesting idea for the back side of the material - it's on my list of things to play with when I carve my next multi-layer image. I thought it might make a really nice texture for shading. It's like it's already stippled and ready to give that intermediate shadow between white and black (or any other color) when printing. I think it could be pretty cool. Stay tuned! Or, if you beat me to the experiment, let us know how it works!

Webfoot
Dec 4, 2018 6:53am
Thread Board
I am very interested! Can you be more specific about testing requirements?

Thanks for the willingness of whoever is putting the app together. Loved Box Radar & look forward to having something back that is similar!
Re: What happened to Boxradar?
Reply to: #969012 by Bon Echo
Dec 4, 2018 7:04am
Thread Board
Yes, worked last week, but the website is also gone. Yours will also quite working.
Dec 4, 2018 7:06am
Thread Board
I would be very happy to try and help as much as I can.
Reply to: #969058 by Webfoot
Dec 4, 2018 7:11am
Thread Board
Ooo.. now there’s an idea!
Reply to: #969052 by 4EyesMcGee
Dec 4, 2018 7:45am
Thread Board
Here is an example of making your own book.
Happy AQversary, Red Hare!
Board: State: North Carolina
Dec 4, 2018 8:50am
Thread Board
Even though you live in SC now, you will always be one of those "Crazy NC boxers!"
It was great spending time with you last weekend - and who were all those middle-aged people drinking beer?

Have a wonderful day!
Sudoku Crazy
Re: Happy AQversary, Red Hare!
Board: State: North Carolina
Reply to: #969064 by Sudoku Crazy
Dec 4, 2018 8:56am
Thread Board
I too have to say it was fun meeting you and boxing with you this weekend!
Reply to: #969034 by Bon Echo
Dec 4, 2018 9:04am
Thread Board
Found it. Ordered some. Thanks.
Reply to: #969047 by Jiggs
Dec 4, 2018 9:42am
Thread Board
Yeah work was rather hectic this fall.
Reply to: #968989 by IrishRef
Dec 4, 2018 9:44am
Thread Board
Amazingly there has now been one correct answer!!!

Clue 3: NASA
Reply to: #969062 by DarkZen and Evil Cow Pie
Dec 4, 2018 9:51am
Thread Board
As someone else said, carving is an individual skill. We all use different tools, different techniques, and have various limitations, preferences, and experience levels. The service that Stampeaz/Webfoot provides, is to make and offer a variety of materials, so virtually anyone can make SOMETHING work for them. I join in thanking her for great work!!
Re: Happy AQversary RIclimber
Board: Look at Me! Look At You!
Reply to: #969025 by jlsd0218
Dec 4, 2018 9:53am
Thread Board
Happy day! You've added so much to the LB community. Keep it coming!
Reply to: #969063 by Oberon_Kenobi
Dec 4, 2018 10:13am
Thread Board
I just call them logbooks 😂 never used the term signatures. Lookie that. You can teach an old dog new tricks.
Reply to: #969071 by 4EyesMcGee
Dec 4, 2018 11:04am
Thread Board
I just call them logbooks 😂 never used the term signatures.

From Merriam Webster definition 3b:

one unit of a book comprising a group of printed sheets that are folded and stitched together

A book, including a log book, is made up of multiple signatures. However, our usage of log book is wider. I've seen some log books made up of interesting folds and cuts of paper.
Reply to: #969068 by IrishRef
Dec 4, 2018 11:06am
Thread Board
Well, it obviously wasn't me. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯