A Letterboxing Community

Search

Read Messages

Re: Happy Yule y’all Event
Board: State: Georgia
Reply to: #968978 by DeeCee
Dec 2, 2018 10:47am
Thread Board
We had an absolute blast! I don't care how much it rained the event was very well planned and organized, the people were absolutely wonderful and helpful, and Super Hedge Hoggiecould not have done a better job! Loved it, met great people, laughed & made wonderful memories... thanks to everyone for that!
Re: The Kominsky Method
Board: Television: After the Show Ends
Reply to: #968970 by Captain Slick Kitty
Dec 2, 2018 11:09am
Thread Board
I just finished it and really enjoyed it also. It is like the male version of Grace and Frankie.
Re: Tan-Z Pattern
Board: Stamp Carving and Mounting
Reply to: #968973 by BBStacker
Dec 2, 2018 11:52am
Thread Board
Tan-Z - my comments are totally overwhelming positive. I did like the old pink, sure, but am over the moon about this stuff. Yes, it's quite firm and maybe that's why I feel like I can do (for me anyway) more challenging carves, and stamps up dandy with different inks. Light pre-sanding makes a world of difference. And yes, so grateful to Webfoot.
Dec 2, 2018 12:58pm
Thread Board
...is it worth the effort to purchase or should I go to Michael's and buy some pink stuff?

Why don't you just forget both of those and buy the Japanese stuff?

http://www.stampeaz.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=747
Reply to: #968987 by Kirbert
Dec 2, 2018 1:13pm
Thread Board
Why don't you just forget both of those and buy the Japanese stuff?

If that’s a serious recommendation, can you tell us why (the pros and cons)?
New Mystery Postal is now open for your enjoyment
Board: Postals
Dec 2, 2018 2:25pm
Thread Board
Here comes a long over due mystery postal. Hopefully this will keep you sane among all the Christmas music and movies. For those who are new to mystery postal world and for those who need a refresher the rules follow.

To get this postal you will have to guess the theme/name/subject of the stamp. Clues will be posted on the postal boards and on this tracker. I will try and post one per day. For each clue posted each person may make one guess prior to the next clue being posted.

Guesses should be sent to IrishRef via AQMail, not posted on the boards! Guesses will only be accepted from AQ members through AQMail.

Even if you have no clue take a guess anyway. Half the enjoyment is seeing the range of incorrect answers and how people connected clues for those guesses. You will only get a response from IR if you: A. Have the correct answer, B. Are very close or I need to clarify your guess, or C. Your guess peaks my fancy.

The first 10 members correctly guessing will be notified by AQMail. Tracker order will typically be determined by order correct answer receipt (Exception to this are international winners who will be at the end of the tracker). The correct answer with how each clue is related will be posted once the postal is full.

Clues:

1. Roswell

Check out the tracker at the following link:

https://www.atlasquest.com/showinfo.php?trackerId=10036
Re: It's the most ...
Board: Doctor Who
Reply to: #968953 by Oberon_Kenobi
Dec 2, 2018 5:43pm
Thread Board
Wonderful time of the year????
Dec 2, 2018 6:54pm
Thread Board
There is no "One Size Fits All" perfect material, and, to be honest, all of the carving materials have their issues. You have to determine what material works best for you and your carving style. I loved Orange when it was available, but other people hated it. Conversely, I hate using OZ and some people think it's the greatest. Get the smallest piece you can, then try it. If you don't like it, then go back to pink, or try something else. Tan-Z is the new kid and everyone has something to say about it. If you go back to messages posted when OZ came out, you'll probably find everyone giving their opinion on it, and a good bit of those will be negative comments, but people learned to like it.

dp
Re: Happy Yule y’all Event
Board: State: Georgia
Reply to: #968978 by DeeCee
Dec 2, 2018 6:59pm
Thread Board
What a great time we had with this event, rain, cold, and so many boxes to hunt. What a time we all had. A big thank you goes out to all who helped put this one together. The biggest thank you goes out to supper hedge hoggie.
Reply to: #968991 by Weeping Willow 52
Dec 2, 2018 8:14pm
Thread Board
For a Christmas Special!
Re: New Mystery Postal is now open for your enjoyment
Reply to: #968989 by IrishRef
Dec 2, 2018 8:27pm
Thread Board
I'm feeling lucky!
Dec 2, 2018 8:28pm
Thread Board
We are off to a running start with several nicely twisted guesses on clue one. A couple intrigue me and one hit my funny bone. I failed to mention that this is Mystery Postal #417. However, it is listed as such on the tracker.

As the newbies will learn the clues will all match somehow but are rarely straight forward. That being said the first clue has most focused on the obvious while I will more than likely veer off in another tangent tomorrow. Best advice is to always look at the clues as a collection toward one answer. The trap is trying to make all the clues fit down one rabbit hole. That being said there are not any red herrings but many clues can have multiple meanings. And as Grand Flyers would tell you there is more than one Roswell in the USA.

mwhahahahaha!
Reply to: #968996 by IrishRef
Dec 2, 2018 8:57pm
Thread Board
mm..maybe not so lucky
Reply to: #968994 by IrishRef
Dec 2, 2018 8:59pm
Thread Board
New Years
Reply to: #968998 by Baqash
Dec 2, 2018 10:02pm
Thread Board
New Years

Yes, Jodie Whittaker got fewer episodes for a typical "Doctor Woke Who" serial (what we would call a season), and was downgraded to a New Year's episode. Several reviewers think that Chris Chibnall has succeeded in killing the Doctor.
Reply to: #968999 by Oberon_Kenobi
Dec 3, 2018 4:38am
Thread Board
Capaldis first season left that feeling as well but recovered
Reply to: #968987 by Kirbert
Dec 3, 2018 5:18am
Thread Board
buy the Japanese stuff

I bought a slab of both types from Webfoot and liked one of them. The other was way too soft and I couldn't get favorable quality lettering with it. Sadly I can't remember which one was a bit more firm. But I was thinking as you are and thought I'd post the question on Tan-Z before making a decision.
Reply to: #968986 by Team Awesome Pants
Dec 3, 2018 5:20am
Thread Board
Thanks for all the replies everyone. Seeing such positive comments convinces me that I should give this new material a shot.
Re: What happened to Boxradar?
Board: Letterbox Chatter
Reply to: #968982 by SpitFire
Dec 3, 2018 5:47am
Thread Board
I use clue tracker. You should try that!
The Winter Blahs
Board: Region: Northeast
Dec 3, 2018 5:51am
Board
The Weather is going to be perfect for the Winter Blahs Event this year so consider taking a break from your holiday shopping and come do some Boxing!

Mtn Girl
Re: New Mystery Postal is now open for your enjoyment CLUE 2
Dec 3, 2018 5:53am
Thread Board
To allow those not interested to ignore the thread, I will keep all the clues related to the first post.

Clue 2 - Red Raider
WINTER IS COMING
Board: State: New York
Dec 3, 2018 5:57am
Thread Board
The Weather is going to be perfect for the Winter Blahs Event this year so consider taking a break from your holiday shopping and come do some Boxing!

We have something like 26 boxes for this one-day event two will be available for one day only.

and dare I say it *whispers there is no snow in the forecast

And I can guarantee that the Post Blahs let down has the best hot chocolate in all of Westeros

Cheers!
Mtn Girl
AKA Mushroom
WavesandWaterfalls' BOTM
Board: State: Oregon
Dec 3, 2018 6:33am
Thread Board
As many of you may know, WavesandWaterfalls was in an accident a few months back. She asked if I could help with her Box of the Month until she was able to do so herself again. I will be pulling the November stamp sometime this week and replacing it with a new one for December. I can't update the box listing, but I will comment on this board after I replace it.

dp
Re: Changing the type of box
Board: Stupider Questions About Letterboxing
Reply to: #968677 by Moms_Play
Dec 3, 2018 7:03am
Thread Board
The ones that we had to find in the hotel, from the clue packet should be listed as "traditional", for example, the ones on every floor that combined to form 1 stamp, and the ones that were outside.

There was also clue for all the boxes in the hotel lobby etc. so those as well.

But the ones in your room should be considered HIPS or "event boxes"

You put on a great event!! It was extremely creative! I hope you guys keep it up, and next time I can stay instead of only being there for a few hours.
Reply to: #969003 by 4EyesMcGee
Dec 3, 2018 9:59am
Thread Board
I use clue tracker. You should try that!

That depends on the device . . . I believe Boxradar was created for androids, while ClueTracker is an iPhone app.
Re: Changing the type of box
Board: Stupider Questions About Letterboxing
Reply to: #969008 by Spartanfans
Dec 3, 2018 10:12am
Thread Board
"But the ones in your room should be considered HIPS or "event boxes""

I thought HIPS and events boxes were different in some cases.

What I thought:

Event boxes are on a table at an event and you go walk up and get it, no searching or clues involved.

Hips are Hidden in Plain Sight, and have clues , altho clues make be vague, but still written clues. So shouldn't they be a traditional count? You had to make the effort to actually search for them.
Reply to: #968988 by DarkZen and Evil Cow Pie
Dec 3, 2018 10:56am
Thread Board
If that’s a serious recommendation, can you tell us why (the pros and cons)?

I only tried an early prototype of the tan stuff, but I didn't care for it at all. I prefer pink. But the Japanese stuff is some of the best carving material I've ever carved. It is soft -- even the "harder" version is still softer than most materials we're familiar with -- but the softness just makes it stamp really well! It carves like a dream. The problem used to be getting ahold of it without paying exorbitant shipping rates from Japan, but Webfoot now carries it solving that problem. Admittedly it's not cheap, but it'll be the only stuff I buy as long as it's available.
Reply to: #968981 by SpitFire
Dec 3, 2018 10:57am
Thread Board
When you say it disappeared, do you mean that it disappeared off the Google Play store, or off your device? I checked my phone after you posted this and see that Boxradar is still on my phone, and appears to still work (at least as much as it has worked lately).
Reply to: #969003 by 4EyesMcGee
Dec 3, 2018 11:11am
Thread Board
I have an Android, Clue Tracker is not available for Androids !!! :(
Reply to: #968981 by SpitFire
Dec 3, 2018 11:16am
Thread Board
I have a Samsung and Box Radar worked somewhat, OK enough that I kept it but when I brought a new phone it did not transfer along with my other apps to the new phone. :(

Went to my Play Store to download it again and it wasn't there anymore.

The Here button on AQ is a little helpful but nothing like Box Radar was.

I really really miss not having it. :(