A Letterboxing Community

Search

Read Messages

Re: cell phone policies
Board: Letterbox Chatter
Reply to: #968828 by mudflinginfools
Nov 30, 2018 4:18pm
Thread Board
I spend all my time as a teacher policing the cell phones and telling students to get off of them and put them away. ;)

I myself am not super attached to my phone, I turn it off or to vibrate and forget to turn it back, most of the time.
Tomorrow
Board: State: California
Nov 30, 2018 5:18pm
Thread Board
Go Bears!
Re: cell phone policies
Reply to: #968938 by Basset Mom
Dec 1, 2018 1:07am
Thread Board
I spend all my time as a teacher policing the cell phones and telling students to get off of them and put them away.

SWMBO is retired now, but where she taught the rules worked this way: If caught with a cell phone or if your cell phone made any noise and interrupted class, the teacher confiscated it. And the student didn't get it back. It was turned over to administration, and the only way they'd part with it is if a parent came in to claim it. You'd be amazed at how many phones they had left at the end of the school year.
snowflake theme
Dec 1, 2018 5:39am
Thread Board
Snowflake Theme is one of my absolute favorites!
Started the day with a smile.
Re: snowflake theme
Reply to: #968944 by SherlockMiles
Dec 1, 2018 7:04am
Thread Board
I searched for the theme after logging in and couldn't find a snowflake theme. Does anyone know what its official name is?
Reply to: #968945 by condo
Dec 1, 2018 7:11am
Thread Board
It's the "winter solstice" theme. You could just remove the theme you set in your preferences to see the defaults that everyone else sees too. (You can always add it back later!)

-- Ryan
Reply to: #968946 by Green Tortuga
Dec 1, 2018 7:39am
Thread Board
thanks!
Reply to: #968944 by SherlockMiles
Dec 1, 2018 8:38am
Thread Board
I like the artistic snowflakes...but... anybody want the millions of them piling up on my vehicle, parking lot, sidewalk and roads this morning?
Reply to: #968948 by 7rxc
Dec 1, 2018 9:26am
Thread Board
anybody want the millions of them piling up on my vehicle, parking lot, sidewalk and roads this morning?

I think it would be AWESOME to watch millions of snowflakes pile up on YOUR vehicle, parking lot, sidewalk, and roads this morning!

It would be pretty neat to see that here in Texas as well, but probably a lot less likely.
It's the most ...
Board: Doctor Who
Dec 1, 2018 9:42am
Thread Board
Re: Tomorrow
Board: State: California
Reply to: #968940 by Yosemite MJD
Dec 1, 2018 9:56am
Thread Board
Go Bears!

Beat Stanford!

Old Blue
Today
Saved box name
Board: Letterboxing Help Desk
Dec 1, 2018 1:26pm
Thread Board
A while ago we could reserve a Name for a future letterbox we would want to plant. Where can I find this now? I saved one years ago (shame on me) and now I can't find it to plant the box. I'm also to old to remember what the name was too!! Ack!
Memorial pages, or board?
Dec 1, 2018 1:36pm
Thread Board
For lack of knowing where to ask this I do so any way here. Where would I find this board or those pages. I didn't see any note of them on the head listings. Memorial pages of deceased boxers. Thanks
Re: Memorial pages, or board?
Reply to: #968956 by Okie Dog
Dec 1, 2018 1:43pm
Thread Board
Re: Saved box name
Reply to: #968955 by The Gamecock
Dec 1, 2018 1:49pm
Thread Board
A while ago we could reserve a Name for a future letterbox we would want to plant

Go to your logbook. Under Action select Plants. Under Box Type select Traditional. Click on the down arrow for a list. The last one is Reserved.

I hope the one you saved is still there.
Last chance to join this year's letterboxing football staple
Board: Yakking It Up
Dec 1, 2018 3:33pm
Thread Board
This annual tradition will close tomorrow night. Check it out for some fun and friendly competition and chance to win stamps.
https://www.atlasquest.com/showinfo.php?trackerId=10025

Jeff
Tan-Z Pattern
Board: Stamp Carving and Mounting
Dec 1, 2018 3:49pm
Thread Board
I'm carving my second stamp on Tan-Z. I noticed the texture on the back before, but I don't think that I brought it up on the forums. I'm asking here so that others can see the response, and join the discussion if they want.

Webfoot, what makes this texture? Is it just because they didn't roll it on the top, or did they roll this texture into it when it was forming?

It does make it so that only one side can be carved, unless one has a way to utilize the pattern.
Re: Tan-Z Pattern
Reply to: #968961 by Oberon_Kenobi
Dec 1, 2018 3:53pm
Thread Board
I don’t know the answer but we have already been through a fair amount of it. I haven’t really lost a piece due to a carving mistake but I’m sure it’s coming. I have been giving some thought to trying to sand down the back so it can be used. I don’t have any solutions yet but if I do I’ll post them.
Reply to: #968962 by DarkZen and Evil Cow Pie
Dec 1, 2018 4:56pm
Thread Board
The material is fairly thick. I wonder if you could cut away that texture on the back with an exacto or a larger gouge. People shave down, or cut off the back of stamps for micro postals, but it's not that flat. Would be hard to get a smooth surface for stamping.

maybe there's a way to secure it in a vice and cut all the way through with some kind of knife, like a guillotine?
Reply to: #968961 by Oberon_Kenobi
Dec 1, 2018 6:17pm
Thread Board
what makes this texture? Is it just because they didn't roll it on the top, or did they roll this texture into it when it was forming?

The Stampeaz webstore describes Tan-z as "smooth on one side and pebbled on the other, <the answer>due to the extrusion process used to make it</the answer>, so it's very easy to tell which side to carve."
Reply to: #968963 by BaliWho
Dec 1, 2018 7:07pm
Thread Board
I was thinking more along the lines of a belt sander. Though holding it in one spot while working on it would be a bit tricky. I have an orbital sander that might work.

The thing is, Tan is quite a bit less flexible than pink. When roughing up the carving side (so it will hold ink better) I’ve sanded a *slight* low spot. That alone can cause printing issues. Whatever method is used needs to leave the surface pretty darn flat.
Re: For those of you who remember Walkin Orange
Board: State: North Carolina
Reply to: #968886 by The Wolf Family
Dec 1, 2018 7:47pm
Thread Board
I remember meeting WO at a NC event years ago. Gracious man is best I can describe.

Thanks, Mama Wolf. Inspiring fond memories.

"X"
Reply to: #968964 by Bon Echo
Dec 1, 2018 8:10pm
Thread Board
due to the extrusion process used to make it

Well, that answers my original question. This has generated a lot of interesting discussion though.
Re: Last chance to join this year's letterboxing football staple
Board: Yakking It Up
Reply to: #968960 by FORAYCH
Dec 1, 2018 9:33pm
Thread Board
As we’ve said before, if you watch any football during the holidays, this pool will make even the most insignificant bowl exciting. Thanks so much Foraych, for bringing joy to our lives.
The Kominsky Method
Board: Television: After the Show Ends
Dec 1, 2018 10:16pm
Thread Board
At age 74 Michael Douglas, whom I have loved since his "Jack T. Colton" sliding down the forest hillside in Colombia moment, has a new show playing on Netflix.

The premise is as followed: Michael plays Sandy Kominsky, a once glorious actor turned teacher. His best friend of 47 years and "talent agent" is Norman, played by Alan Arkin. Together they go through life's ups and downs. Douglas is irresponsible, self absorbed, near the line of jerk-ish and Arkin is moody, sad and trying to cope with real life issues. Together, they are kinda the odd couple.

Having said more than enough, on to my Kitty Paws:
One Kitty Paw for Douglas. Love, love, love him!
One Kitty Paw for Arkin.
One Kitty Paw for their great banters and perfect zingers
One Kitty Paw because this show is appropriate for these men and you like them.

At 4 Kitty Paws, I highly recommend it. The first season has 8 episodes that play between 28 to 32 minutes and you can do in one setting.

Be warned though. These are old men, playing old men. If you are looking for slap happy jive this is not your show. This is a show about two old men, trying to get through the day. You will see some of Douglas's favorite pals.

So if you are interested, I suggest cracking open a bottle of your favorite wine, settling in and getting to know these guys.

Fingers crossed there will be more seasons to come.

csk
Re: Memorial pages, or board?
Reply to: #968957 by mudflinginfools
Dec 1, 2018 11:33pm
Thread Board
Thank you, Mud. Er...Kathleen? My CRS is kicking in once again, hope the name is right. Can't remember s--t. oops--anyway, thanks for the info.
Re: The Kominsky Method
Board: Television: After the Show Ends
Reply to: #968970 by Captain Slick Kitty
Dec 2, 2018 4:56am
Thread Board
My husband and I both enjoyed this show watched over 2 nights. We are in our 70s and not many shows are in our demographic. My biggest problem was the Lisa Edelstein character as I recently binge watched 8 seasons of House, and although she was excellent, I just couldn’t not see her as Dr. Cuddy. I also liked the drama students that were cast for his class. What a great opportunity for so many to get exposure.
Reply to: #968967 by Oberon_Kenobi
Dec 2, 2018 6:26am
Thread Board
I'm just about out of all the materials I've purchased in the past and have had thoughts of ordering Tan-Z but after the original posts of the trials of the material I've seen almost none that are overwhelmingly positive. Seems like it's one problem after another.

A question for all you out there that are using this material - is it worth the effort to purchase or should I go to Michael's and buy some pink stuff?

BTW BBStacker makes lots of carving errors and almost "needs" the other side of the material.
Reply to: #968973 by BBStacker
Dec 2, 2018 6:46am
Thread Board
I have found the material to hold fine details and as much more workable than OZ and more consistent throughout the material than SLQ and current Pink stuff. Also, I like supporting fellow letterboxers and Webfoot is one of the good gals! My vote is order a slab and try it out. If it is not for you, you can hit a local store, but I am guessing once trying the stuff and getting used to it, you will like it (and perhaps mistakes will be fewer in occurrence too with familiarity of the material).

Also the more people experiment with the material, the more likely a technique to use the underside will come through.

Jeff (and his $0.02)
Reply to: #968974 by FORAYCH
Dec 2, 2018 7:09am
Thread Board
I have already carved up 2 12x12 sheets of it and find no issues with it other than cutting the stamps apart... you have to be careful as it's like it has a grain to it and if you are cutting across it - you can get hung up and then it lets go - causing the cut to go astray. But carving it is much better than pink any day of the week for me... I hate pink :)