A Letterboxing Community

Search

Read Messages

Re: I cant even contain myself!
Board: Travel the World, Eat Some Cow Lips
Reply to: #968879 by Green Tortuga
Nov 28, 2018 7:29pm
Thread Board
... and, how does bookmarking work on this site?
Re: Anyone willing to give me a hand?
Board: Region: Midwest
Reply to: #968876 by Nurse Wanderseek
Nov 28, 2018 7:38pm
Thread Board
I will do it for you. Check your mailbox.

DZ
Re: Happy Cake Day HowD girls
Board: Look at Me! Look At You!
Reply to: #968869 by caveman-80-inc.
Nov 28, 2018 7:59pm
Thread Board
Happy Cake Day!
Nov 28, 2018 8:35pm
Thread Board
What kind of printer do you have?inkjet or toner?
Re: Quiet Place Exits Stage Left
Board: Event News and Planning
Reply to: #968793 by Quiet Place
Nov 28, 2018 8:39pm
Thread Board
You can beat this. All my very best...

Origami Hen, daughter of breast cancer survivor and sister of current lung cancer patient
Reply to: #968880 by DarkZen and Evil Cow Pie
Nov 28, 2018 11:45pm
Thread Board
... and, how does bookmarking work on this site?

I click the "Bookmark" link, then whenever I use the "My Bookmarks" link under the "Boards" menubar option, I can review all of the posts I've bookmarked. They're mostly filled with suggestions for AQ that I'm interested in implementing someday.... at least my list is. I suppose others use it for other reasons. =)

-- Ryan
For those of you who remember Walkin Orange
Board: State: North Carolina
Nov 29, 2018 3:10am
Thread Board
I just heard that Walkin Orange passed away on 11/4. I have many fond memories of our letterboxing days. We hiked 13 miles through the Uwharries together, he introduced me to Orienteering (where his boxing name comes from) and was so creative in his art, clues, and carves. His boxes were a joy to find as well as his LTCs. I remember him always smiling and joking with me. Joan was Here was his wife (aka Pink Elephant).
Re: For those of you who remember Walkin Orange
Reply to: #968886 by The Wolf Family
Nov 29, 2018 5:11am
Thread Board
I remember Walkin Orange, it was March 2007, I was at Cane Creek in Waxhaw doing the "When is a Raven Like a Desk" series.

I noticed a man sitting at a bench overlook the water, he seemed to be watching me. I needed to be at the log at the woodline where the box was but I couldn't get it with him sitting there.

So I walked over close to him and mentioned the water or the weather, and he said , the box is over behind the log, we both laughed and then started talking LBing.

I told him that there was going to be an event the next day and he should come. He said he didn't know about it and had not signed up. I told him that was OK he could still come. Much to my surprise he did come.

I've seen him at several events since, always kind, and pleasant to be around. I'll always remember the way I met him.

RIP dear Walkin Orange
Reply to: #968885 by Green Tortuga
Nov 29, 2018 6:04am
Thread Board
Thanks! Appreciated.
Nov 29, 2018 6:16am
Thread Board
the key to acetone is 100% acetone. I get mine at Rite Aid. The image should be printed with a cheapo laser printer. An old Copier or a laser printer with cheap replacement toner works great.

I know you are sick of trying, but this is really the quickest way to go. Good luck.
Re: Quiet Place Exits Stage Left
Reply to: #968793 by Quiet Place
Nov 29, 2018 6:16am
Thread Board
Wish I could make it for your event, but Houston is a bit of a ways to make it up to the DFW area. Defiantly in our thoughts and I second Baby Bear's motion, if you need anything from the Texas Letterboxers please reach out!

Sending soothing thoughts,
NLW
Nov 29, 2018 6:30am
Thread Board
Probably quicker and easier to just send the image to a someone and have them mail back the printout. Then do a heat (iron) transfer - on pink the heat transfer works really well, only factor is the toner.
I'd be concerned with the transferred image getting smudged while in the mail.
But the quickest route IMO is to just find a photocopier, make a copy, and do the transfer - photocopier images seem to always transfer, at least that's my impression. Heat transfer and you are ready to carve.
Reply to: #968891 by Bon Echo
Nov 29, 2018 6:47am
Thread Board
How do you do the heat transfer... never heard of that...
Reply to: #968891 by Bon Echo
Nov 29, 2018 6:51am
Thread Board
Yes, the fastest for you would be to get a photocopied print of your image somewhere (multiple prints on same page for insurance against errors): library, Office Max, etc. I use 100% acetone rather than heat transfer. Don't make it too wet with acetone... works great.
Nov 29, 2018 7:08am
Thread Board
I remember meeting him that time y'all had the meet and greet for my family when we were visiting North Carolina. He was a real sweet heart, and had quite the sense of humor.
Nov 29, 2018 7:11am
Thread Board
I had that problem and then bought some real graphite pencils. They work every time.
Last Minute Carving help appreciated
Nov 29, 2018 7:27am
Board
Hi all - I just thought I'd put out one last request for stamps for the 2018 Year in Review event being held over New Years weekend up here in snowy Maine. If you can carve a last minute stamp, I'd very much appreciate any help I can get. My RA hands aren't working well in this cold weather. Due date to receive the stamps is 12/27/18. After the event concludes, the whole collection of stamps will be made into a Time Capsule event box, which can travel to events across the US. Currently the Time Capsule 2017 event box is available to travel (with 40+ stamps, it is a little heavy but I don't mind paying the postage for it to be sent as long as the requester doesn't mind paying for it to be returned to me.)

Here are the trackers for the event, with ideas for stamps:
2018 News and Current Events
2018 Pop Culture, Trends and Entertainment
Sports in 2018
In Memoriam 2018
My 2018

Again, thanks for any help that can be had. It's very much appreciated and the drop-in participants love to see other folks work.
Jiffy
Nov 29, 2018 7:48am
Thread Board
I remember him. I enjoyed chatting with him at a couple of gatherings. I think he did a little mini teach on orienteering at one of the gatherings. An interesting man.

Knit Wit
Reply to: #968892 by jlsd0218
Nov 29, 2018 7:56am
Thread Board
http://www.nettally.com/palmk/TransferringRubberStampImage.html

"Iron transfers: Another laser printer transfer method involves laying the paper with the printed image on the rubber and pressing the back side with a hot iron. The toner is designed to melt; you're just remelting it. Obviously you want to be careful not to melt the rubber. A medium setting on the iron is good, and apply it for perhaps ten seconds. Try peeling up one corner of the paper and see if it's working; if not, lay it back down and apply the iron some more."

I use a low setting (like 3 or 4) and apply the iron for maybe 4 seconds. I also place a large piece of blank paper between the image and the iron, to ensure that the iron never touches any of the stamp material. I like this method because once apply some heat the image becomes fused to the rubber - you can peel back a bit to see if it transferring, without fear of the image shifting. If needed, you can apply more heat until you are happy, then peel the image off (best to do while the paper is still warm).

I also like to "seal" the image with ink before carving - I use a yellow Ranger Archival ink, others use StazOn. Apply the ink over the transferred image, stamp it a few times to remove access ink, let it sit a while to dry.

You can get a detailed transfer on pink with heat (and ever moreso with OZ cut)
Here's an image of a stamp that I used a heat transfer on (hopefully the image can be viewed, it's from a closed FB group).
https://scontent.fyhu1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t31.0-8/24273433_895206950653772_5594311069497967155_o.jpg?_nc_cat=108&_nc_ht=scontent.fyhu1-1.fna&oh=da49f9421611037e180b061598903464&oe=5CA664BF
(btw I didn't carve the checkered line, that was already on the paper)
Re: cell phone policies
Board: Letterbox Chatter
Reply to: #968868 by Wry Me
Nov 29, 2018 8:02am
Thread Board
New word

I love obscure, seldom used words......but I love seriously multi-syllabic words even more. Our engineering staff know that if they can work any of these into their investigations or reports, I give bonus points!!
Reply to: #968899 by Public Hand
Nov 29, 2018 9:18am
Thread Board
That is excellent. Here's mine for the week (not English, obvs):

mamihlapinatapai

defined as that moment when you hear a clunk, but don't know if it's a box or a tree root resonating in a hollow spot -- holy anticipatory not-knowing.

or not.

Today I told my students I had developed a new term of affection for them: fomites

As Holling suspected in The Wednesday Wars, it's a "teacher trick to get you to look up the word."
Reply to: #968899 by Public Hand
Nov 29, 2018 9:23am
Thread Board
Hmmmmmm--no record of a fomite box, ...yet.
Reply to: #968901 by Wronghat
Nov 29, 2018 9:39am
Thread Board
What can I say, with all the surgery I've had so far this year, I'm behind...... where's the "Slacker" button when you need it? 8D
Nov 29, 2018 9:43am
Thread Board
Well. Now the post from Craig makes sense.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVSRm80WzZk
Reply to: #968898 by Bon Echo
Nov 29, 2018 9:54am
Thread Board
I might try this heat transfer method before sending out the image. I wondered also how much smudging might occur through the mail. Thanks, everyone, for your input!
Reply to: #968904 by Nurse Wanderseek
Nov 29, 2018 10:09am
Thread Board
Once you try the heat method, you'll never go back! ;) You definitely have to have a toner based ink. Ink jet won't work. I print out several stamps I want to do all on one page and go to the library to make a copy. I've been told you can save and reuse the copied image if you need to redo the stamp for whatever reason. I haven't tried that.
Nov 29, 2018 10:14am
Thread Board
I was just wondering a couple of weeks ago if he was still in LB'ing. Although I only found one of his boxes it was a neat stamp. I met him once at a event in NC and he was very nice and I enjoyed listening to him talk about his adventures.
Prayers for his family
Nov 29, 2018 11:08am
Thread Board
Yep! You should try it sometime. It's sometimes fun to dredge up an old post and reply to it like it's brand new. *nodding* =)

-- Ryan, who is bookmarking this post so I can reply to it again 8 more years from now....

Yeah, and while you're at it, you guys should go update your links in the Wassa widget.
Reply to: #968907 by Wry Me
Nov 29, 2018 11:19am
Thread Board
Yeah, and while you're at it, you guys should go update your links in the Wassa widget

I second that motion!
Reply to: #569803 by Crazyolis
Nov 29, 2018 11:26am
Thread Board
Well...how was the trip??