The finder will have to answer but a
little digging on LbNA . . .

;)
Re: Finding new letterboxers/looking for a bargain
Board: Letterbox Chatter
Reply to: #968679 by NandJ
Nov 26, 2018 2:22pm
Thread Board
I’m predicting the much-maligned newbie smackdown, as most of us have had this very lament and postulated to the boards all kinds of ways to improve the hobby. You are in very good company.

This is the first time I’ve seen someone post every, single letterboxers’ pet peeves all in one fool-proof solution -- except maybe suggesting people shout “Rah-rah” while conspicuously and badly rehiding the box with a ten-foot pile of – oh, wait. We’re in the parking lot. Nevermind.

I’ll be as gentle as I can. It’s easy to defend those who prefer/need short hikes over long, don’t particularly care about the artistry of the boxes, (i.e. store-bought stamps and lamp skirts in parking lots), aren’t interested in planting or carving (it’s always been fine to box and not plant a blessed thing – come find my boxes!), cannot tolerate disappointment (box might be missing), and cannot or will not invest any time pursuing hobby, and probably don’t much like walking at all. Any of those are pretty fine, but what you have when you have all of them? Someone who just gave you the, “I can’t go out with you on Saturday because I’m washing my hair.”

Do you really want this? I try to plant something I myself would like to find. Am I supposed to stop handcarving stamps, seeking out suitable/interesting/pretty or at least safe places to plant, start buying stamps and planting places where retrieval is effortless and guaranteed – essentially going backward skill-wise -- to accommodate people who need a simpler form of letterboxing?

We have to further dumb down a hobby that at its basic level is essentially reading while walking? Do YOU want to go letterboxing with those folks? I guess every shampoo bottle has its lid.

I would say that the dearth of letterboxers is perhaps already related to the unlathered mass’ antipathy toward sweat equity. I’d say there’s room for all kinds for sure, but why work so hard swaying the uninterested? Let them lather, rinse, repeat.
Re: Turkey Carving?
Board: Stamp Carving and Mounting
Reply to: #968606 by Wronghat
Nov 26, 2018 2:25pm
Thread Board
What?!!! This is the first year I haven't escaped my family to go boxing. Not too terrible, though. They were here helping me get my house livable after Harvey. Who thought painting baseboard could be so relaxing? Probably the fumes.
Forest themed stamps?
Board: Stamp Swap
Nov 26, 2018 3:04pm
Thread Board
We are looking to borrow a set of stamps (anywhere between 10-20) to place temporarily (just for the day) on a 2 mile loop on a trail in the Ocala National Forest in Florida.
Don't need them until the beginning of March but am doing a shout out now to get on the wait list in case they are being shared regularly.
Am happy to pay the shipping.
Thanks,
Three Flamigos
Reply to: #968740 by dingus dufus
Nov 26, 2018 3:26pm
Thread Board
Btw, we all randomly check guard rails at interesting locations right?

Oh, man. That was you? Sorry about the puddle.
Reply to: #968766 by Wry Me
Nov 26, 2018 3:37pm
Thread Board
Oh, man. That was you? Sorry about the puddle.

By “puddle”, you mean ‘brown spot’?
Heathen!
Re: Looking for a Challenge?
Board: State: Massachusetts
Reply to: #968762 by dingus dufus
Nov 26, 2018 4:21pm
Thread Board
Not a bad thought, but you might have to go further back than that. Wayback, one might say...
Re: A new Land Conservation Preserve that welcomes letterboxes
Board: State: Connecticut
Reply to: #968753 by R
Nov 26, 2018 4:22pm
Thread Board
Great news! And thank you for planting this new letterbox for the Illinois Bicentennial virtual event. We need about 40 more to reach our goal of 200 boxes -one box for each year Illinois has been a State! R and I have something in common- both of us grew up in Illinois!

TeachJR
Re: Looking for a Challenge?
Board: State: Massachusetts
Reply to: #968768 by Nairon
Nov 26, 2018 4:59pm
Thread Board
Wayback, one might say...

how far??? ::::wink::::
Re: Forest themed stamps?
Reply to: #968765 by Three FLAmigo's
Nov 26, 2018 5:04pm
Thread Board
We'll have about 500 to pick from after the LLBean event... and they can stay put :)
Duc got a purple diamond
Nov 26, 2018 5:21pm
Thread Board
Yay for Rubaduc's purple diamond on "It's Tough Being A Head" at Day Pond: https://www.atlasquest.com/showinfo.php?boxId=94874
Reply to: #968758 by MissMoon
Nov 26, 2018 7:11pm
Thread Board
I hung out at letterboxing.org for a really long time - until I found it got way out of date, and I took about a five year hiatus while my mom was declining due to dementia. I mean, really, I have no reason to lie about that or any of it. I used a different name on letterboxing.org - changed it when I came here because I started hunting with a friend and it seemed appropriate to include him.

It wasn't your disagreement that I thought was snarky - it was the insistence that I am obviously ignorant and ill-informed because I have only used THIS website for 4 months. There is a whole wide world out there - way broader than a single website and the opinions of a handful of people.

You seem super defensive of your right to be cranky. Not sure why. If you want to be cranky, then knock yourself out.
Reply to: #968738 by Gremlands
Nov 26, 2018 7:18pm
Thread Board
If it's an easy find, make it an interesting place to find it. If the place isn't as interesting, make it a challenge to find.

I can do that, but I don't think that the local boxers would appreciate me planting in thorny bushes and trees, up in a tree, or even on a cliff. I've done all of these for geocachers in my area, but I don't think that local letterboxers would appreciate that type of challenge.

I plant for my boxes to be found, but I will try for more challenging locations. Maybe I'll even do some gadget boxes.
Reply to: #968763 by Wry Me
Nov 26, 2018 7:30pm
Thread Board
We have to further dumb down a hobby that at its basic level is essentially reading while walking?

Don't you mean reading ***and*** thinking while walking?
Reply to: #968774 by NandJ
Nov 26, 2018 7:33pm
Thread Board
You seem super defensive of your right to be cranky. Not sure why. If you want to be cranky, then knock yourself out.

There is a lot of that going on here.

Learn to enjoy the snark. It can be entertaining.
Reply to: #968777 by Oberon_Kenobi
Nov 26, 2018 7:38pm
Thread Board
There is a lot of that going on here.

Yes, you can be.
Reply to: #968778 by MissMoon
Nov 26, 2018 7:59pm
Thread Board

Yes, you can be.

Who? Me?
Re: Hoping to find a box in southeast Oregon
Board: State: Oregon
Reply to: #968667 by MrOspital
Nov 26, 2018 8:34pm
Thread Board
That's great! Thanks for letting us know :) Happy Trails to you!
Reply to: #968776 by Oberon_Kenobi
Nov 26, 2018 9:14pm
Thread Board
Don't you mean reading ***and*** thinking while walking?

Too many things! Pop!
Re: Happy Cake Day Snake Doctor
Board: Look at Me! Look At You!
Reply to: #968760 by Cross Family
Nov 26, 2018 9:22pm
Thread Board
Happy cake day my friend !
Re: Duc got a purple diamond
Reply to: #968772 by Trailhead Tessie
Nov 26, 2018 10:29pm
Thread Board
Thanks to all for making this happen. I love purple.
Re: Happy AQversary Mu
Board: State: California
Reply to: #968710 by DoubleSaj and Old Blue
Nov 27, 2018 12:45am
Thread Board
Thank you all! I'm so happy to be out in CA and look forward to boxing more with you all in years to come!

~µ[sic]
Re: Forest themed stamps?
Reply to: #968771 by mudflinginfools
Nov 27, 2018 4:24am
Thread Board
I'll be waiting patiently then.
Thank you!!!
40 for 40 update
Nov 27, 2018 4:33am
Thread Board
OK... so I'm planning to go for these on Monday, 12/3. I know that's weird but I'm taking the day off work anyway because we'll be out late the night before and it's also my actual birthday. Plus the weather (right now) looks good. If anyone wants to coordinate let me know! After I find the series my sister will put the clues online for everyone. :)
Quiet Place Exits Stage Left
Board: Event News and Planning
Nov 27, 2018 5:10am
Thread Board
As much fun as I have had traveling the back roads and planting boxes wherever I go, I'm going to have to hang up my hat for a while. I was diagnosed with breast cancer 3 weeks ago. Tomorrow I have surgery. Sometime right before or after Christmas I will start heavy-duty kick-my-ass chemo, at which point I will likely hibernate even more out of sight than I already have been.

When Live & Breathe was going on, I had a few people ask if I had time to meet up for exchanges. I didn't because I was in the process of having tests. And, honestly, I've enjoyed the anonymity out here in Texas. I haven't been to an event since 2010 when I was living in east TN.

But I had planned to meet up with a couple of local letterboxers to pass off a couple of HH that I can't move forward. I thought I'd make a mini-event (which is not an event-event) to see if any other local (Dallas, TX area) letterboxers would like to come have dinner with us. There will be no event stamp because I have surgery tomorrow and I can't guarantee I'll feel like carving anything after that. (But if someone feels like creating one and donating it, I'll set it out.)

I'm thinking the best date would be Friday, Decemeber 14... evening because I don't know yet if I'll have appointments during the day. Location will be near Allen, TX. There are many letterboxes to find in the area, so if you travel to spend the night you won't be without letterboxes to find.

I want to go ahead and list the event this afternoon but I thought I'd post here for comments or suggestions before I make it official.
Re: 40 for 40 update
Reply to: #968792 by Brandy
Nov 27, 2018 5:29am
Thread Board
I’ll be off the Friday after that so that’s when I’ll plan on going
Re: Quiet Place Exits Stage Left
Board: Event News and Planning
Reply to: #968793 by Quiet Place
Nov 27, 2018 6:10am
Thread Board
Sister survivor will be sending you a PM later today....

You got this!
Re: A new Land Conservation Preserve that welcomes letterboxes
Reply to: #968753 by R
Nov 27, 2018 6:38am
Thread Board
Yay! This is good to know. We live in Northford, but are unable to make the hike on Saturday, but we will definitely be going soon! We have a series in mind to plant, so maybe this will be the perfect spot.