A Letterboxing Community

Search

Read Messages

Re: Turkey Carving?
Board: Stamp Carving and Mounting
Reply to: #968601 by Oberon_Kenobi
Nov 22, 2018 9:44am
Thread Board
I made one last night and planted it! We have the whole family with us today, so it was fun going out and getting to box. Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!!!
Reply to: #968605 by dancingpecan
Nov 22, 2018 9:46am
Thread Board
We have a huge flock of wild turkeys in my neighborhood (30+)

I wonder if that count will go down after today. :D
Re: next L&B location
Board: State: Michigan
Reply to: #968604 by Angel Winks
Nov 22, 2018 9:58am
Thread Board
Thanks.
Reply to: #968592 by Angel Winks
Nov 22, 2018 10:03am
Thread Board
I believe SITE Sleuths knew the exact location and didn't find it.
Nov 22, 2018 10:17am
Thread Board
I’m carving a micro snowman today. Trying to, anyway.
Reply to: #968608 by Wise Wanderer
Nov 22, 2018 10:25am
Thread Board
It almost did yesterday. There's a pretty busy street by our house and part of the flock stepped out into morning rush hour traffic!

But we do have a neighbor who's not fond of them and he's made thinly veiled threats about "Thanksgiving is coming!"
40 for 40!
Board: State: Connecticut
Nov 22, 2018 1:51pm
Thread Board
You guys. I’m turning 40 on December 3. My sister, CoffeeSpoons, and her friend, PiggyJaunt, made and planted 40 stamps on Ragged Mountain in Berlin. I’m so excited! Who wants to go wirh me? :)
Reply to: #968612 by BinoBoxer
Nov 22, 2018 4:06pm
Thread Board
I’m carving a micro snowman today. Trying to, anyway.

Hope you send me a pic!!
Nov 22, 2018 4:13pm
Thread Board
I've planted turkey stamps on Thanksgiving in the past but didn't this year.
Re: 40 for 40!
Reply to: #968614 by Brandy
Nov 22, 2018 4:27pm
Thread Board
Hey Now, Brandy!
I'm your huckleberry, if we can work out a mutually convenient day one of these weekends.
Regards, and happy pre-birthday :p
Re: Announcing: POWER PLANT challenge
Board: State: North Carolina
Reply to: #968581 by Helms' Flying Adventure
Nov 22, 2018 5:22pm
Thread Board
We will try to plant a few here in SC. I have 1 that I have started carving & needs to be planted soon.
9 more in 6 months? I can do that & carve for the Dead Pool Postal Ring.

td
Reply to: #968611 by PapaSolo
Nov 22, 2018 6:28pm
Thread Board
I looked for it on a trip in 2009 and didn’t find it either.
Re: Idaho State Road Sign Stamp Available
Board: State: Idaho
Reply to: #968586 by IrishRef
Nov 22, 2018 6:37pm
Thread Board
thanks
Sharp Objects
Board: Television: After the Show Ends
Nov 22, 2018 8:26pm
Thread Board
HBO is streaming all of its programming for free — all weekend long. We just got through binging Sharp Objects. I won’t give this the full blown Captain Slick Kitty treatment but I will highly recomend it. The book was good and the miniseries was equally well done.

No spoilers but a suggestion - pay attention to details and hang in until the end... the very end. ;~)
Reply to: #968617 by Rocklun
Nov 22, 2018 10:43pm
Thread Board
Haha I think Holiday Stamps would be Hilarious!/ Fun/ Interesting!Each holiday attempt to plant a box to go along with the day!
Nov 23, 2018 3:33am
Thread Board
I want to go. Let me know when
Re: Happy Thanksgiving
Board: State: Maine
Reply to: #968588 by mudflinginfools
Nov 23, 2018 3:43am
Thread Board
Happy Holiday season to you, I know it'll be crazy! May you find many moments of peace, joy, and happiness amidst the LOCO! ;)

Carla
Re: Announcing: POWER PLANT challenge
Board: State: North Carolina
Reply to: #968581 by Helms' Flying Adventure
Nov 23, 2018 4:35am
Thread Board
I had the same thing happen. I lost 3 to Flo in Fayetteville, and all 3 were hidden higher than the flood levels of Matthew so I thought they were good! I haven't confirmed the ones I have in New Bern and Wilmington yet.

All the more reason to plant some more! Surely it won't happen again so soon...I hope!!!!
Re: Sharp Objects
Board: Television: After the Show Ends
Reply to: #968622 by DarkZen and Evil Cow Pie
Nov 23, 2018 5:52am
Thread Board
THANK YOU!
Nov 23, 2018 6:02am
Thread Board
How much hiking and how long? I'm double your age.
Eagle Bob
Nov 23, 2018 6:29am
Thread Board
We'd love to join in (Sorefeet and I) but we too need to know what the trails are like 'cause we got Eagle Bob beat by a few years!!
Nov 23, 2018 6:40am
Thread Board
Let me know when!
Nov 23, 2018 6:41am
Thread Board
I'm in the "double your age" club! plus!
I know Ragged Mountain! I'll be with you only in spirit!
Happy Birthday, Brandy!
RIP
Board: Yakking It Up
Nov 23, 2018 6:48am
Board
When one obituary appeared in The New Orleans Times-Picayune last year, it was quickly called one of the funniest obituaries ever — and for good reason

The obituary was for New Orleans firefighter William Ziegler, 69, and it was truly hysterical, yet it also serves its purpose in letting people know what he was like when he was alive.
You can read the full obituary here:

William Ziegler escaped this mortal realm on Friday, July 29, 2016 at the age of 69. We think he did it on purpose to avoid having to make a decision in the pending presidential election.

He leaves behind four children, five grandchildren, and the potted meat industry, for which he was an unofficial spokesman until dietary restrictions forced him to eat real food.

William volunteered for service in the United States Navy at the ripe old age of 17 and immediately realized he didn’t much enjoy being bossed around. He only stuck it out for one war.

Before his discharge, however, the government exchanged numerous ribbons and medals for various honorable acts. Upon his return to the City of New Orleans in 1971, thinking it best to keep an eye on him, government officials hired William as a fireman.

After twenty-five years, he suddenly realized that running away from burning buildings made more sense than running toward them. He promptly retired.

Looking back, William stated that there was no better group of morons and mental patients than those he had the privilege of serving with (except Bob, he never liked you, Bob).

Following his wishes, there will not be a service, but wellwishers are encouraged to write a note of farewell on a Schaefer Light beer can and drink it in his honor.

He was never one for sentiment or religiosity, but he wanted you to know that if he owes you a beer, and if you can find him in Heaven, he will gladly allow you to buy him another.

He can likely be found forwarding tasteless internet jokes (check your spam folder, but don’t open these at work). Expect to find an alcoholic dog named Judge passed out at his feet. Unlike previous times, this is not a ploy to avoid creditors or old girlfriends. He assures us that he is gone. He will be greatly missed.

Ziegler’s family certainly knew what they were doing when they wrote this. Somewhere, we certainly hope Ziegler is having a good laugh over this.
LL Bean Event
Board: State: Maine
Nov 23, 2018 6:50am
Thread Board
Hey Kathleen...

Since we had the sub zero temperatures for Thanksgiving, does that mean we will have a nice warm night for the Bean Event???

Ray
Re: Holiday Cookie Exchange tracker
Board: LTC: Trades and Trackers
Reply to: #968584 by InkTap
Nov 23, 2018 8:12am
Thread Board
I have opened Round 2 of this tracker, due to several requests. But I love the idea of posting the recipe in the clue so that we can all benefit from the baking love!

Also, I won't say you can't join both, but let's give it a week or so to make sure all new participants have a chance to join. Thanks, guys!
Re: Holiday Cookie Exchange tracker
Board: LTC: Trades and Trackers
Reply to: #968584 by InkTap
Nov 23, 2018 8:24am
Thread Board
Since this tracker is filled, is there a chance participants can add their recipes in the clues of their box?
I would love to get some new cookie recipes!

Since the host has given her blessing, I’ll happily add ours when we get that far into it!
Reply to: #968632 by R
Nov 23, 2018 8:49am
Thread Board
I’ll probably be doing it after the initial finds, on a Friday, and when it’s warmer.
A Great Author
Board: Reading Room
Nov 23, 2018 10:14am
Thread Board
My mother was an avid reader. Soon after I graduated from college, she suggested I read the book, War and Remembrance. It was historical fiction that began at Pearl Harbor the day after the attack. It opens with protagonist, Admiral Pug Henry, assessing what's left of the US Navy in the Pacific. The story was about the exploits of him and his family, who were scattered around the world and were witnesses to the events of World War 2. This well written tale inspired me to learn about the real* history of WW2.

The author of the book (and its prequel, Winds of War) is Herman Wouk who, to my amazement, is still alive at age 103. These are truly excellent books that are well worth reading.

Old Blue

I suggest you first read War and Remembrance, as I did. It's not the only time I've done things backwards.

• There is not a real history of WW2; it is millions of stories, some of which are true, some which are not true, and some a mix if each... just like all history.
HE"S ALIVE!
Board: History is Alive
Nov 23, 2018 10:22am
Thread Board
One of my favorite historical authors is still alive - Herman Wouk! Go here to learn more about him and why I like his work.

Old Blue