A Letterboxing Community

Search

Read Messages

Re: next L&B location
Board: State: Michigan
Reply to: #967961 by 4EyesMcGee
Nov 6, 2018 9:46am
Thread Board
I have no problem camping off site and essentially day tripping.
Reply to: #968001 by PuggleMom
Nov 6, 2018 11:33am
Thread Board
Cool. Well you’re going to have to wait five years for the next L&B, so keep your eyes peeled for it. It’s definitely worth the trip.
Re: Voice Controlled Glasses and Magnifying Lens
Board: Stamp Carving and Mounting
Reply to: #967990 by Grrly Girl
Nov 6, 2018 1:06pm
Thread Board
Sounds Harry Potter-ish!!!
cleveland LB idea
Board: State: Ohio
Nov 6, 2018 1:27pm
Thread Board
Not sure how to coordinate this but Cleveland has beautiful cultural gardens and I am considering doing a LB series and having people contribute and carve specific stamps to match the gardens.... checking to see if there is an interest and open to thoughts!
Reply to: #968003 by 4EyesMcGee
Nov 6, 2018 2:02pm
Thread Board
It's almost semi-Official. Michigan is in the lead with the polls closing soon. So get ready for endless years of fun..............

Already working on gift for raffle at your 2023 LBXXV event!
"Pure Michigan Letterboxing"
Reply to: #968006 by Renegades
Nov 6, 2018 2:08pm
Thread Board
Where is the voting taking place?
Reply to: #967961 by 4EyesMcGee
Nov 6, 2018 4:15pm
Thread Board
If and when the next L&B is in Michigan, it should be on Mackinac Island. And some of the fees should be used to pay for a 4 night stay at the Grand Hotel for the organizers. JUST KIDDING! I mean 5 nights. :)
Postage
Board: Yakking It Up
Nov 6, 2018 5:34pm
Thread Board
If anyone is interested, I just got an email which allowed me to download the new postage schedule for 2019. I'm assuming this is correct and that this link works.

https://ss-usa.s3.amazonaws.com/c/308468027/media/5bd2003e25b9b/New%20Postage%20Rate%20Sheet%202019.pdf
Re: Postage
Reply to: #968018 by Topcollector
Nov 6, 2018 7:09pm
Thread Board
So, first class mail is going up to 55¢. Buy those FOREVER stamps before January 27th.
Re: LBXX & LBXXV
Board: Event News and Planning
Reply to: #967998 by Renegades
Nov 6, 2018 7:58pm
Thread Board
you may want to consider renting Open Space to help with the details

hmm...clearly I've missed something

Texas - Retired

Looking forward to attending L&B XXV somewhere else
Re: cleveland LB idea
Reply to: #968005 by gemini girl
Nov 6, 2018 8:00pm
Thread Board
I’d be happy to help with a Cleveland project. What’s your timeframe?
Elections
Board: Ryan's a Total Goober
Nov 6, 2018 8:02pm
Board
Does anyone else think Ryan would be a shoo-in for the GOOBERnatorial race? He just needs to watch out for that rogue bull-moose party candidate.
Re: Remember "Who's on First"?
Reply to: #967991 by Grrly Girl
Nov 6, 2018 8:03pm
Thread Board
For those who haven't seen the original, no one does it like Abbott and Costello.
HELP :/
Board: Letterboxing Help Desk
Nov 7, 2018 3:53am
Thread Board
I had a lady send me some stamps of bunnys and kittens and my email is gone between the two of us... I want to give her credit but for the life of me I cant find anything with her trail name... can anyone help or if it was you can you please get ahold of me...

Thank you
A few open spots
Board: LTC: Trades and Trackers
Nov 7, 2018 4:00am
Board
ThanksgivING
Numbers open at this point: 4, 6, 9, 10, 15, 17. AQ-mail me with questions. Thanks!
Reply to: #968021 by greenmountainhiker
Nov 7, 2018 6:40am
Thread Board
not sure yet- wanted to see if there was interest first! There are MANY countries represented by the cultural gardens so it would be a larger undertaking!
Nov 7, 2018 7:34am
Thread Board
Canada - 11

Well that practically accounts for all the letterboxers in Canada except myself since I don't know where to vote.
(BTW we have these things we call provinces - and territories too - might help to refine things a bit. Suggests to me that the 11 people that voted were not from Canada)

Anyway, since "we" are so far back in the poll, no hope of seeing L&B in Canada in 5 years from now, so here's hoping it will be in Michigan which just happens to be right next door to Canada (I suppose Ohio is as well but it's way across that one lake)
Nov 7, 2018 7:43am
Thread Board
Why would 23 people vote for Rhode Island? We can't physically fit the 300 attendees into the state!
Reply to: #968000 by Sagacorn
Nov 7, 2018 7:55am
Thread Board
How does one get in on the voting?

First, you have to register to vote. Don't worry, it's a simple form to fill out that asks you stuff like your name, address, place of birth, mother's maiden name, income and a two-page essay about what makes Live and Breath so special.

Before election day, a ballot will be mailed. This is a vote by mail thing. It's wonderful. No long lines at polling stations and is less costly to run and leaves an auditable paper trail critical to a well-functioning democracy.

You'll be expected to return it (make sure there's sufficient postage) with five samples of LTCs. Your vote counts double if there's a twenty included.

-- Ryan
Reply to: #967627 by Eidolon
Nov 7, 2018 8:03am
Thread Board
I hope we are at least ahead of North Dakota since we actually have more boxes here. And letterboxers too I suspect.

And you have more trees.

-DD (a NoDak native and infrequent ND letterbox planter)
Editorial Page - 150 Years Ago
Board: History is Alive
Nov 7, 2018 9:19am
Thread Board
From the Inquirer & Mirror, Nantucket MA. November 1868

Election of the President - Not a quarter century ago, a worthy, but not prophetic Unitarian preacher on (Nantucket) Island told his congregation that the transfer of the chief magistracy of our nation is so quietly affected that we do not perceive change, while in countries ruled by monarchs, his death is often the signal for war.

Yet, we have seen a most gigantic war kindle by the election of a new president; a war that cost millions of treasure and hecatombs of victims. Now we are on the eve of another change of rulers, and cannot but regard the approach of the decisive day with some degree of concern. We are hopeful that General Ulysses Grant is the coming man. Yet we must not be lulled into inaction. Our victory, although bloodless, will not destroy manifestations of southern hate.

Comment by Old Blue:
Grant, a Republican, won the election over Horatio Seymour by a large margin. Interestingly, Grant failed to carry New York, New Jersey, Delaware or Maryland. The Republican party of that time stood for a strong federal government. (I think if them as "Federalists" rather that Republicans.) The Democratic Party believed in localized government and states rights.

In 1868, Reconstruction and civil rights of former slaves was a hotly debated issue in the Union. According to Wiki, Grant supported the Reconstruction plans of the Radical Republicans in Congress, which favored the 14th Amendment, with full citizenship and civil rights for freed people, including suffrage for adult freedmen. The Democratic platform demanded a restoration of states' rights, including the right of southern states to determine for themselves whether to allow suffrage for adult freedmen.

Submitted for your consideration,

Old Blue
Help on LTC Tracker set up
Nov 7, 2018 9:50am
Thread Board
I just tried to list my first LTC tracker and it came up as a traditional tracker. How do I change it?? As it stands right now LTC's can't be listed on it.
Nov 7, 2018 10:07am
Thread Board
If you build it, they will come.
🎵Letterboxing with a side of klezmer 🎵
Board: State: California
Nov 7, 2018 10:20am
Thread Board
Bay Area folks - On Sunday, December 2 in Woodside, my new klezmer trio Baymele (meaning "little tree" in Yiddish) is having a joint show with some master Moldovan musicians visiting from Canada... and of course there will be a letterbox there!

The letterbox: https://www.atlasquest.com/showinfo.html?boxId=299691
The concert: https://www.facebook.com/events/258782281387034/

Whether you come for the letterbox, the music, or both, I hope to see you there!

~µ[sic] / Matthew
Re: Help on LTC Tracker set up
Reply to: #968033 by shutterbug2012
Nov 7, 2018 10:24am
Thread Board
Your best bet is to delete it and start over, setting the new one up as an LTC tracker.
mb
Re: Help on LTC Tracker set up
Reply to: #968036 by Mosaic Butterfly
Nov 7, 2018 10:38am
Thread Board
Thanks
Re: 🎵Letterboxing with a side of klezmer 🎵
Board: State: California
Reply to: #968035 by Mu
Nov 7, 2018 10:44am
Thread Board
Wish I could come! I'll attend in spirit...!
Last call for Twisted Suess
Board: LTC: Trades and Trackers
Nov 7, 2018 10:46am
Thread Board
There are a few spots left for this swap based on some twisted notions for Suess. It is part of the pin-ups group, so be aware the cards likely will be a bit off ;)
Twisted Suess

Jeff
Nov 7, 2018 11:46am
Thread Board
I might be interested, are you getting permission to plant in the gardens?
Reply to: #968029 by RIclimber
Nov 7, 2018 12:08pm
Thread Board
Why would 23 people vote for Rhode Island? We can't physically fit the 300 attendees into the state!

it'll be a WW's homestead.