A Letterboxing Community

Search

Read Messages

Re: Addicted to swaps...
Board: LTC: Trades and Trackers
Reply to: #967859 by Sheep Thrills
Nov 5, 2018 2:16pm
Thread Board
Swaps are what upped my game in carving.
I don't do swaps anymore unfortunately. Too busy with homeschooling and other things. Maybe one day I'll get to play again. Enjoy it while you can.
Re: U attamassaw ?
Board: Letterbox Chatter
Reply to: #967963 by u attamassaw
Nov 5, 2018 2:53pm
Thread Board
WhAt does fearless colon have to say on the subject
Mid-Term Elections
Board: It's Politics as Usual
Nov 5, 2018 3:02pm
Board
Remember tomorrow to vote early and often.
Reply to: #967963 by u attamassaw
Nov 5, 2018 3:43pm
Thread Board
Wait, you can spell raison d'être, ruminant, turpitude and staunched - riven even! - but you aren’t sure about annals?

Luddite!
Reply to: #967969 by DarkZen and Evil Cow Pie
Nov 5, 2018 4:02pm
Thread Board
What the hell is going on in this whole thread? Lol
Reply to: #967970 by Neoterra
Nov 5, 2018 4:10pm
Thread Board
What the hell is going on in this whole thread? Lol

With AQ maturity (or not) will come greater understanding young grasshopper
Reply to: #967901 by jlsd0218
Nov 5, 2018 4:12pm
Thread Board
Holy cow!! 289? That's practically one a day! Impressive.
Reply to: #967965 by crosscresent
Nov 5, 2018 4:20pm
Thread Board
You know what? I think it's when my carves started getting better that I switched to LTC, simply because I wanted to keep the stamps and not lose them in the woods. I've had some boxes disappear that make me sad, like my very first carve. Plus I love being creative in a small, contained way; it seems like an attainable goal...until you over-commit and are having carver's block!!
Reply to: #967969 by DarkZen and Evil Cow Pie
Nov 5, 2018 5:32pm
Thread Board
Wait, you can spell raison d'être, ruminant, turpitude and staunched - riven even! - but you aren’t sure about annals?

Well, being a little “bass ackwards”, he was probably worried he might have gotten a bit ... turned around.
Texas Treasure Hikers rewards
Board: Treasure Hikers
Nov 5, 2018 5:35pm
Thread Board
Somewhere along the way, I read about Treasure Hikers. So I started logging my treasure hikes, because Yay! Hiking!! And Yay! Letterboxing!! Most of my plants are about a mile at least, and I appreciate the longer hikes to get to the box.

Anywho, I see there is no Treasure Hiker listing for Texas. :(

I went ahead a designed a pathtag and a patch since I would love to have one. But, they are very expensive to produce. Sooooooo, would anyone else in Texas be interested in this if I ordered them?

I also don't want to step on toes if anyone else out there already has this.

Thanks!
:)
Reply to: #967972 by Sheep Thrills
Nov 5, 2018 7:10pm
Thread Board
It keeps my mind off our crazy life! My hubby is very sick and will need a heart transplant, so... since we are not active like before, gotta stay busy!
Voice Controlled Glasses and Magnifying Lens
Board: Stamp Carving and Mounting
Nov 5, 2018 7:27pm
Thread Board
For those of us who need more magnification.
Re: Theme
Board: Yakking It Up
Reply to: #967950 by Green Tortuga
Nov 5, 2018 7:40pm
Thread Board
Sorry! All is back to normal... Continue on! There's nothing to see here! =)

So, these aren't the bugs we're looking for?
Games Series
Nov 5, 2018 7:42pm
Thread Board
A few people at Live & Breathe told me they liked my game letterboxes, mainly the Hangman games, but were surprised when I told them I have many other games all across the country and beyond. They asked how to access the clues, but since I can't remember who all asked, I will just specify it here:

https://sileagle.webs.com/games.htm

This is the game series page on my letterbox website and it contains links to all the clues on LBNA. You can also get to this page by clicking the game link on any clue page.

Since I recently mentioned looking up the history of letterboxing in Texas and the US, you might be interested in the two games of Life that contain real letterboxers and life events that actually happened. Enjoy!

Silver Eagle
Re: Games Series
Reply to: #967982 by Silver Eagle
Nov 5, 2018 7:51pm
Thread Board
Awesome! Just added it to my custom menu on AQ. Thanks for sharing.
Nov 5, 2018 8:01pm
Thread Board
So, does Letterboxing.org just allow you to add any Javascript you want into your clue page?
Re: Texas Treasure Hikers rewards
Reply to: #967975 by photopam
Nov 5, 2018 8:17pm
Thread Board
Hi there. For a few years, about 5 years ago, I was the Texas Treasure Hiking coordinator. I designed 25, 50, and 100 mile pathtags and had a supply of each made. I advertised the program for a while and "sold" the tags to boxers who asked for them but after a while the requests sort of tapered off. If you are interested I'll look thru my junk closet and see if I have any of the tags remaining.
Reply to: #967984 by Oberon_Kenobi
Nov 5, 2018 8:21pm
Thread Board
Pretty much, but I had to tweak it to make it work within LBNA. Also, since I'm not using graphic images to represent dice or some of the other things (I didn't want anything referenced outside LBNA in case it went away like my old Geocities website did), I have to use pixel positioning for dots, arrows, etc., and that can look different on different browsers. Also, sometimes when Choi makes changes to LBNA it messes up the positioning so I have to redo them. It can be challenging, but it is worth it since I can make clues harder for muggles to see if they don't want to take the time to solve the game.

Silver Eagle
P.S. I taught myself Javascript to be able to do this, so the programming might not be the best, but they work.
Nov 5, 2018 9:22pm
Thread Board
We’ve always enjoyed these fun puzzles. Very creative.

You’ve actually inspired us to do something similar ourselves. (We just need to find the right spot to plant it)
Reply to: #967971 by Baqash
Nov 5, 2018 9:42pm
Thread Board
I'll stick with lack of maturity 😅. Think I'm pulling it all together lol
Hereditary
Board: Movie Moments
Nov 5, 2018 10:39pm
Board
Sticking with my Halloween plan, even though I am past my end date, I finally had a chance to check out Hereditary, starring Toni Collette.

My first impression after viewing was what the hell did I just watch???!!!

To be honest, I am surprised that I even finished it. I struggled with this movie almost from the beginning. It was slow in starting, with a few odd things happening here and there but after the "incident" with Toni's character's children, I really considered turning it off.

Backing up, the premise is as followed: Annie, played by Toni, who cared for her rather estranged mother in the final months of her mother's life, explains to those who attend her mother's funeral that her mother led a secret life and kept many secrets in her life. (Although later you get the serious impression, Annie knew about Mom's secrets.)

At the funeral you can clearly see that something is very off about Charlie, Annie's youngest child, a daughter. The movie goes to show you that Charlie had a very strong attachment to the grandmother. This is because Annie basically gave Charlie, the little girl, to the grandmother.

And if Charlie wasn't weird enough before grandma's death, she gets even weirder after, even cutting animal heads off.

In the meanwhile, weird things are manifesting in the house. You get the impression that Annie has an idea but lives in total denial about the truth regarding her mother, her husband and her children, odd Charlie and pot smoking teenage son Peter.

And then there is a horrible incident with her two children that even I was like, ummmmmmmm, no. I don't want to give away what happened but Peter's response and the aftermath or lack thereof, for me, takes away credibility for this movie.

But I continued, hoping it would all come together. I was wrong. The ending is so ridiculous, with Annie flying everywhere, I just sat there-probably with my mouth agape, staring at the wall-trying to figure out what the hell did I just watch.

So, I watched this Saturday night and as it is now Monday, I still am shaking my head. I understand the ending. I understand what happens but there are so many issues with the story itself, aside from missing information--which the director does assume the audience will string together to understand the whole picture, having characters the audience doesn't care about or if they survive, the head cutting scenes, the sudden and out of nowhere King Paimon connection, and Annie flying around it just felt ridiculous.

Granted Toni Collette does a decent job of being in denial and losing her sanity in her grief and there a few decent "scares/jumps", overall it just falls flat and looks ridiculous. And again, it also doesn't help if you don't care for the characters, and I really did not care for Peter-especially because of his denial of what he did to Charlie , who by the end of the movie is the ultimate victim.

In a follow up article I read, the author and director argues that this movie moves on a deeper level, that it is a reflection of how families can sometime cause mental health break downs in the long run. Being a social worker, yes, I agree but when granny is worshiping the 7th King of Hell or whatever, you don't let her near your kids. It's kinda that simple.

csk
Re: Voice Controlled Glasses and Magnifying Lens
Board: Stamp Carving and Mounting
Reply to: #967980 by Oberon_Kenobi
Nov 6, 2018 1:12am
Thread Board
How about a voice controlled carving tool, self-healing carving medium and a sealing compound to prevent self-healing of the finished carve?
Or as I call it, "Hey, gmh can you carve this for me?"
Remember "Who's on First"?
Nov 6, 2018 4:23am
Thread Board
You have to be old enough to remember Abbott and Costello, and too old to REALLY understand computers, to fully appreciate this. For those of us who sometimes get flustered by our computers, please read on.

If Bud Abbott and Lou Costello were alive today, their infamous sketch, 'Who's on First?' might have turned out something like this:

COSTELLO CALLS TO BUY A COMPUTER FROM ABBOTT

ABBOTT: Super Duper computer store. Can I help you?

COSTELLO: Thanks I'm setting up an office in my den and I'm thinking about buying a computer.

ABBOTT: Mac?

COSTELLO: No, the name's Lou.

ABBOTT: Your computer?

COSTELLO : I don't own a computer. I want to buy one.

ABBOTT: Mac?

COSTELLO: I told you, my name's Lou.

ABBOTT: What about Windows?

COSTELLO: Why? Will it get stuffy in here?

ABBOTT: Do you want a computer with Windows?

COSTELLO: I don't know. What will I see when I look at the windows?

ABBOTT: Wallpaper.

COSTELLO: Never mind the windows. I need a computer and software.

ABBOTT: Software for Windows?

COSTELLO: No. On the computer! I need something I can use to write proposals, track expenses, and run my business. What do you have?

ABBOTT: Office.

COSTELLO: Yeah, for my office. Can you recommend anything?

ABBOTT: I just did.

COSTELLO: You just did what?

ABBOTT: Recommend something.

COSTELLO: You recommended something?

ABBOTT: Yes.

COSTELLO: For my office?

ABBOTT: Yes.

COSTELLO: OK, what did you recommend for my office?

ABBOTT: Office.

COSTELLO: Yes, for my office!

ABBOTT: I recommend Office with Windows.

COSTELLO: I already have an office with windows! OK, let's just say I'm sitting at my computer and I want to type a proposal. What do I need?

ABBOTT: Word.

COSTELLO: What word?

ABBOTT: Word in Office.

COSTELLO: The only word in office is office.

ABBOTT: The Word in Office for Windows.

COSTELLO: Which word in office for windows?

ABBOTT: The Word you get when you click the blue 'W'.

COSTELLO: I'm going to click your blue 'W' if you don't start with some straight answers.
What about financial bookkeeping? Do you have anything I can track my money with?

ABBOTT: Money.

COSTELLO: That's right. What do you have?

COSTELLO: I need money to track my money?

ABBOTT: It comes bundled with your computer.

COSTELLO: What's bundled with my computer?

COSTELLO: Money comes with my computer?

ABBOTT: Yes. At no extra charge.

COSTELLO: I get a bundle of money with my computer? How much?

ABBOTT: One copy.

COSTELLO: Isn't it illegal to copy money?

ABBOTT: Microsoft gave us a license to copy Money.

COSTELLO: They can give you a license to copy money?

ABBOTT: Why not? THEY OWN IT!

(A few days later)

ABBOTT: Super Duper computer store. Can I help you?

COSTELLO: How do I turn my computer off?

ABBOTT: Click on 'START'.......
Re: Remember "Who's on First"?
Reply to: #967991 by Grrly Girl
Nov 6, 2018 4:29am
Thread Board
I’ve heard the Abbott and Costello version so many times I was totally reading that in their voices!
Re: Board Post Layout
Board: Letterboxing Help Desk
Reply to: #967948 by Green Tortuga
Nov 6, 2018 4:44am
Thread Board
Thanks GT. As usual quick and thoughtful service.
Re: Stayin' Warm event attendees....bottle caps
Board: State: Michigan
Reply to: #967955 by BaliWho
Nov 6, 2018 4:49am
Thread Board
When I collected these for another's campaign I learned after the fact that pill bottles (prescription type) are also accepted. Had I known that I could have added another 10 pounds. Might want to see if they work in your case.
Re: Texas Treasure Hikers rewards
Reply to: #967985 by PI Joe
Nov 6, 2018 5:13am
Thread Board
Thats too bad. It sounds like a fun program.

I wonder if patches would be more sought after? They are easier to display.

If you have time to look, I'll take one for Texas. But no rush.

Thank you!
Reply to: #967962 by Baqash
Nov 6, 2018 6:27am
Thread Board
“No plants, finds,etc. Messages only! What kind of boxer is that?”

Unconscionable, really.
Reply to: #967996 by ALF
Nov 6, 2018 6:33am
Thread Board
Totavly agreeink!
Re: LBXX & LBXXV
Board: Event News and Planning
Reply to: #967683 by Renegades
Nov 6, 2018 7:19am
Thread Board
Colorado is making a strong push to host LBXXV. Whomever does win out, you may want to consider renting Open Space to help with the details! So talk to your peeps and see if you have a group willing to take on this challenge.

Here is the latest poll results.....

Michigan - 76
Colorado - 71
Ohio - 53
Virginia - 40
Rhode Island - 23
Canada - 11
Alaska - 0

Texas - Retired